Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we expect PVP gear to be returning in 6.0?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Can we expect PVP gear to be returning in 6.0?

bahudson
01.18.2019 , 02:55 PM | #1
I may be asking a broken record of a question here, but as you (the developers) have mentioned a couple of times about potentially bringing back PVP gear, can we expect it (and warzone commendations as currency to get said gear, ofc) to be returning in 6.0?

It would make PVP so much more enjoyable.

Collec
01.18.2019 , 05:31 PM | #2
NO...one gear is best for this. Because while you think bringing back PVP and PVE gear si good idea...what will happen is,that you'l have to grind 2x for PVP and PVE gear with ****** RNG drop and grind. While I don't care about them raising gear lvl as they always do and have ****** rng drops and rng...I don't want to do that 2x on one toon and then waste time with augmenting PVP geart and PVE gear...I don't even do that now on some alts,because it just kills game for me. So some alts run in 230's gear without any augments and I can do PVP and PVE. One gear to rule them all !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REFERRAL LINK : http://www.swtor.com/r/ZB5DWv

Skullbash
01.18.2019 , 06:40 PM | #3
That would make sense.

So they probably won't do it...

Banderal
01.18.2019 , 06:40 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Collec View Post
NO...one gear is best for this. Because while you think bringing back PVP and PVE gear si good idea...what will happen is,that you'l have to grind 2x for PVP and PVE gear...
I agree that's true *IF* there is a huge grind for both. But I think the unwritten assumption here is that if PvP gear returns, then it will have much LESS of a grind (hopefully none) to get. I think the only reason "we" want separate PvP gear is so that we can have a way to get that gear really fast, and at the same time it doesn't reduce the PvE gear grind that people seem to expect. Otherwise what's the point?

I mean, there's no way that bioware would split the gear and then make each one a really long grind... right? That would just be dumb. And bioware NEVER does dumb.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Seterade
01.18.2019 , 09:57 PM | #5
this topic is juicy.

I like how no one who responded seems to remember why pvp gear existed.

/popcorn for forums

Quote: Originally Posted by Collec View Post
NO...one gear is best for this. Because while you think bringing back PVP and PVE gear si good idea...what will happen is,that you'l have to grind 2x for PVP and PVE gear with ****** RNG drop and grind. While I don't care about them raising gear lvl as they always do and have ****** rng drops and rng...I don't want to do that 2x on one toon and then waste time with augmenting PVP geart and PVE gear...I don't even do that now on some alts,because it just kills game for me. So some alts run in 230's gear without any augments and I can do PVP and PVE. One gear to rule them all !
^ this made me choke I laughed so hard.
I have strong, forward mannerism because I have learned in my life rarely does mincing words and kitty footing around the elephant in the room get better results than clearing the air and a face to face real talk.

DavidAtkinson
01.18.2019 , 11:30 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Seterade View Post
this topic is juicy.

/popcorn for forums

^ this made me choke I laughed so hard.
We will see who will laugh hard in the end if they indeed bring back PVP gear and we will have to grind 2 sets the same way we have to grind Ossus now.

When talking about return of PVP gear some people on this board think that it will be 4.0 all over again. Think again... I really don't think it will be as easy as it was back then based on their gearing practices since 5.0.

Seterade
01.19.2019 , 12:26 AM | #7
bioware is at all times of any update capable of cutting their playerbase in half by dumb decisions.

however, in this case you need to look no farther than "why did expertise exist" to min max pvp players in little to no time without affecting pve progression.

it should also be noted that 5.10 was not in any way an effort to aplease pvp, it was soley a pve gear progression update. you wont gain anything noticable in pvp, trust me. you are already hitting diminishing returns so bad its not funny.

will expertise return? I believe it will. I would like to believe it will return with 2 gear tiers, bought cheaply with UC and have no rep gate. tbh I wouldnt mind a valor gate, but no rep.

but hey.. its bioware. lul.. thats all that needs to be said. Im just kinda meh these days personaly. same crap with no end to be seen, so I dont take any of it seriously. this game has fallen pretty far from the tree of 3.0 when I fell in love with this game
I have strong, forward mannerism because I have learned in my life rarely does mincing words and kitty footing around the elephant in the room get better results than clearing the air and a face to face real talk.

chrisforester
01.19.2019 , 02:29 AM | #8
bioware is at all times of any update capable of cutting their playerbase in half by dumb decisions.

however, in this case you need to look no farther than "why did expertise exist" to min max pvp players in little to no time without affecting pve progression.

it should also be noted that 5.10 was not in any way an effort to aplease pvp, it was soley a pve gear progression update. you wont gain anything noticable in pvp, trust me. you are already hitting diminishing returns so bad its not funny.

will expertise return? I believe it will. I would like to believe it will return with 2 gear tiers, bought cheaply with UC and have no rep gate. tbh I wouldnt mind a valor gate, but no rep.

but hey.. its bioware. lul.. thats all that needs to be said. Im just kinda meh these days personaly. same crap with no end to be seen, so I dont take any of it seriously. this game has fallen pretty far from the tree of 3.0 when I fell in love with this game
I wish it would return.

I've hopped between SWTOR and WoW for a few years (SWTOR founder) always with a pvp focus. As one of those who loves to pvp and gets nothing out of end game pvE/random loot drops from bosses, expertise was always the right solution for the simple reason that I didn't have to pvE to progress the part of the game I actually wanted to play.

SWTOR seemed to have a great iteration at one point - I think it was when you got blue "newbie" kit for warzones so that you could play while completing your expertise gear. I remember being able to get full expertise on many toons and so it was great fun to pretty much play all classes at endgame pvp. What was especially good was then that if classes got nerfed /buffed, or you just got bored, you switched.

I played WoW when Legion came out and there was a terrible iteration for pvp. Raiders/high end pvers destroyed pvpers because of gear differences (they had created a separate profression path for pvp only abilities which was OK, but the artifact weapon, which could be massively empowered through pvE grind, gave you abliities and loads of extra HP.) These were days of TTK being 2-3 seconds and people in warzones (battlegrounds) with many multipliers of your HP. It was awful.

Returning to SWTOR I was really disappointed to see expertise had gone. I have no interest in endgame pvE gear grind especially with a random element. So right now I pvp on lowbie or midbie alts (when it pops) and am working through the story on darkside and lightside. I can't really say I'm enjoying it.

I still love SWTOR, but expertise gear easily obtained was such a great win for pvp. I can't imagine now playing all 8 classes in endgame pvp, and having a blast on them all. Sad.
May all beings be happy.

limenutpen
01.19.2019 , 02:31 AM | #9
I hope they bring it. PvP to be taken seriously needs its dedicated gear. 5.0 was a flop and had many players leaving, me included.
I like to do PvP in ths game, solo or in groups that is what I like doing.
Saying it all so far in the last two weeks Ossus is not a bad update and makes PvE more acceptable. It is possible the best planet they ever did, with the exception of Illum. But yet again those who do operations and all PvE stuff still have a big advantage to get gear, over us who do mostly PvP.
So I cannot understand how any really PvPer in this forum section can really be against having PvP gear which you get from PvP, when the grind to get PvE gear from PvP is ten times as much.
Nutpen: Sage, Lim'suno: Scoundrel, Lei'Suno: Commando, Color-full: Sentinel
Los'suno: Assasin, Diopen: Juggernaut, Grandblu: Powertech, Brontolon: Sniper

Storm-Cutter
01.19.2019 , 03:00 AM | #10
this topic is juicy.

I remember.

I wasn't much into PvP then, but gear grind/progression made people sub longer - by adding time to get BiS
PvP gear was originally RNG then it went to commendations - again to make people sub longer - and even longer than longer if you wanted gear for both PvP and PVE and even longer than longer+longer if you wanted to min-max a bit or have gear sets tuned to your role in PVP or PVE - and Longer +++ if you wanted different stats for PVE than you did for PVP.

Every additional hour spent in game means more subscription money. - And spread across 1000s of accounts that's a lot of $$$.

Never be fooled into thinking gear progression is part of the MMO experience - it's basically a way of locking you in and therefore paying for longer.

Back on topic - It might happen. It was a dumb move to have PVP and PVE gear do differing things in the first place - then dumb to make all gear equal after people had spent 100s of hours getting both types, then it'd be dumb to split them again.... But BioWare never did anything that wasn't dumb....so it'll probably happen - By taking 6 months dev time and 6 months to fix -while people sit on their rear ends waiting for a new PVP map/PVE experience etc - only to have to grind out a new gear set x2 or 3.

But while you're paying for this elevated level of Dumb- it's good business for BW - so long as it doesn't tick off too many loyal customers...
-Storm Cutter.
Like my comment? Refer me and also give a homeless Bantha a new start in life. Just click here.
Cool lightsabre art: ****.**================