Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

BW, all that ever pops is Huttball ever since you "fixed" Vandin pop rate

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, all that ever pops is Huttball ever since you "fixed" Vandin pop rate

ColorfulCaiques's Avatar


ColorfulCaiques
01.14.2019 , 07:32 AM | #1
Ever since you guys "fixed" Vandin pop rate, it seems like all I get is Huttball pops now and then sometimes Yavin. I refuse to play Vandin or Quesh in any capacity, and now I can't play OG Huttball because it shows up too much for my liking. Even Yavin is sometimes a leave. I barely get arenas (my personal favorite), Civil War (favorite 8v8), Hypergate and Voidstar. Can you please fix this?
Don't flatter yourself, EA/BW. I'm just here by the grace of a referral.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
01.14.2019 , 07:55 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by ColorfulCaiques View Post
Ever since you guys "fixed" Vandin pop rate, it seems like all I get is Huttball pops now and then sometimes Yavin. I refuse to play Vandin or Quesh in any capacity, and now I can't play OG Huttball because it shows up too much for my liking. Even Yavin is sometimes a leave. I barely get arenas (my personal favorite), Civil War (favorite 8v8), Hypergate and Voidstar. Can you please fix this?
Well the problems is HuttBall style maps take up nearly a third of availabe WZs in the queue. So you should expect more HB style maps than any other.

Stellarcrusade's Avatar


Stellarcrusade
01.14.2019 , 11:54 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Well the problems is HuttBall style maps take up nearly a third of availabe WZs in the queue. So you should expect more HB style maps than any other.
They should change the queue for warzones (and also GSF) to first random the type of war, then random the specific warzone. Simple to add this, sad they haven't.

TrixxieTriss's Avatar


TrixxieTriss
01.14.2019 , 04:11 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Stellarcrusade View Post
They should change the queue for warzones (and also GSF) to first random the type of war, then random the specific warzone. Simple to add this, sad they haven't.
They should have just added years ago the ability to queue “type” of WZ and added incentives to play all (the same as WoW do or did, it’s been a while since I left)

With Wow, they have/had a system that rewarded you more for queuing random. If you got the random queue weekly done, you got a lot more rewards.
But they also gave you the ability to queue seperately for what every “type” of WZ you wanted (not always the exact map).
Then they added a map of the week daily and weekly. This would rotate every week and you could choose to play this map for good rewards (still not quiet as good as the random, but better than seperate queues)

This system worked really well because they had specific pvp gear for certain pvp brackets. That meant you would want to get as many rewards as possible to upgrade in brackets. The brackets were 10 levels at a time and no level sync. So you always wanted to be working for the best gear to even the battlefield if you could.

Once you had the gear or you only felt like playing a specific map, you could queue up for that instead and most would pop the same (except the map of the week would pop more). This was because of the good rewards for queueing random.

All of that could have been attempted by Bioware years ago. I mean they clone just about everything else WoW does, but often over look the better stuff they do.
Unfortunately there aren’t enough people left to try that now,

ColorfulCaiques's Avatar


ColorfulCaiques
01.23.2019 , 06:00 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TrixxieTriss View Post
Well the problems is HuttBall style maps take up nearly a third of availabe WZs in the queue. So you should expect more HB style maps than any other.
I did the math a few days ago and, not counting arenas (que doesn't prioritize them), you have a ~43% chance of getting a HB map. Unbelievable.
Don't flatter yourself, EA/BW. I'm just here by the grace of a referral.

Banderal's Avatar


Banderal
01.23.2019 , 06:32 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ColorfulCaiques View Post
I did the math a few days ago and, not counting arenas (que doesn't prioritize them), you have a ~43% chance of getting a HB map. Unbelievable.
What? What am I missing? These are the non-arena maps, right?

HB - orig
HB - quesh
HB - vandin
Yavin
OPG
AHG
ACW
Nov Coast

So that 3 out of 8, which would be ~37%? Even if I did that right, it's still over 1/3 of the time. Yeah.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

ColorfulCaiques's Avatar


ColorfulCaiques
01.23.2019 , 01:57 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
What? What am I missing? These are the non-arena maps, right?

HB - orig
HB - quesh
HB - vandin
Yavin
OPG
AHG
ACW
Nov Coast

So that 3 out of 8, which would be ~37%? Even if I did that right, it's still over 1/3 of the time. Yeah.
Oh LOL I was forgetting Odessen. My bad. Still over the 1/3rd tho and still totally ridiculous
Don't flatter yourself, EA/BW. I'm just here by the grace of a referral.

Totemdancer's Avatar


Totemdancer
01.23.2019 , 11:02 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
What? What am I missing? These are the non-arena maps, right?

HB - orig
HB - quesh
HB - vandin
Yavin
OPG
AHG
ACW
Nov Coast

So that 3 out of 8, which would be ~37%? Even if I did that right, it's still over 1/3 of the time. Yeah.
Actually you could both wrong because we don’t know how the queue generates the next match. Bio probably have some stupid algorithm that says pop “a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h” so many times a day and knowing them it’s broken.

It is 37% if it resets for every pop roll.

Theoretically that means you could get 100% Vandin matches everytime. You would either be really unlucky or lucky depending on how you look at it.

It gets worse when you add 3 Huttball style maps because you go from 1 in 8 chance to get one to 3 in 8 chance to get Huttball.

I would like to see that changed to treat Huttball maps as one map. If you get a Huttball map it should roll again to determine which Huttball map you get.

The chance drops back to 1 in 6 to get Huttball and people have a better chance of not being overwhelmed with continuous Huttball matches

Banderal's Avatar


Banderal
01.24.2019 , 04:50 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
Actually you could both wrong because we don’t know how the queue generates the next match. Bio probably have some stupid algorithm that says pop “a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h” so many times a day and knowing them it’s broken.

It is 37% if it resets for every pop roll.
Yeah, that's true.

Random, but sorta related, side note... in the past I used to get a LOT of repeating the same map again and again. It was pretty common to have what really felt like 90% the same map, over and over and over. Six or seven or ten times, almost in a row, with maybe one other map thrown in somewhere. It could be a different repeat map each night, but it happened all the time. Lately, last few months say?, that seems to have stopped (except for the huttball thing). I wonder if bioware changed something with the way the maps are "rolled" - or maybe just the few they've added (Yavin, new HB) have "jiggled the handle" somehow.

Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
Theoretically that means you could get 100% Vandin matches everytime. You would either be really unlucky or lucky depending on how you look at it.

It gets worse when you add 3 Huttball style maps because you go from 1 in 8 chance to get one to 3 in 8 chance to get Huttball.

I would like to see that changed to treat Huttball maps as one map. If you get a Huttball map it should roll again to determine which Huttball map you get.

The chance drops back to 1 in 6 to get Huttball and people have a better chance of not being overwhelmed with continuous Huttball matches
Agree. As far as I know, that's what they do with arenas, so there is at least a precedent.

Slippery When'wet, FistFullOfCandy - SF

Majspuffen's Avatar


Majspuffen
01.25.2019 , 02:10 AM | #10
Huttball - either you really love it or you really hate it, it seems. I don't get it though, why do people not like Huttball? Is it because it's so objective-oriented and people just wants a game mode where they can punch and kill people? To me, this legitimally seems to be the reason as it is so common to see people completely ignore the objectives in Huttball. But then, people seem to be completely ignoring objectives in most WZs.

I, for one, play for the objectives when I'm in a Warzone. Because I'm primarily playing stealth classes I'm forced to sit on the defense a lot, which can lead to exciting games where you end up with 0 in everything on the scoreboard except for on the Objectives score. Meaning you can sit for several minutes doing nothing. Not really exhilarating gameplay. The worst part is, since so many people don't care about objectives, when I do need help I often do not receive it, and it's never because I did not call. I always copy the text "/ops West, " or "/ops East, " when on defense. So when an enemy shows up I can just hit CTRL+v and type in a digit, and I always do this before I engage in combat. But unless I play with friends, this warning has a habit on falling on deaf ears as people, seemingly, don't play for the objectives. They follow where the enemy is so they get to punch them.

This is why I don't like Civil War or Yavin Ruins. I especially don't like how powerful the stealth classes are in these maps. Both Operatives and Shadows have access to two 8-sec mezzes, and the capture time on the objectives is 8 seconds (6 in Ancient Hypergate...). If a capture point is taken it can be difficult to get it back. This is why I love the capping mechanics of Novare Coast; it's harder to ninja-cap (you pretty much have to kill the defender unless they are completely oblivious) and if you outnumber the enemy chances are you can get your point back progressively; it's not a hard switch. But even Novare Coast suffers from the playerbase not always caring about the objectives.

In this sense, Huttball is great! It doesn't matter which class I play, I always feel like I have a role. I don't ever have to sit and wait like I do in Civil War and Yavin Ruins. Although, of course there are games where I can stay on the enemy line throughout the whole match but such games tend to be extremely one-sided and can be over within a minute or two. Civil War is never fast, not even when you or the enemy have taken all three turrets. So... before you voice your opinion on Huttball, you better learn to play for the bloody objectives in the other WZs. Rant over.