Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Flying Mounts?

Hawksmoorreturns
01.24.2020 , 12:51 PM | #1
Is there any talk about getting full fledged outdoor flying mounts? This ability could be tied to character level and/or a Legacy unlock. SWTOR has an enormous game play area, and a lot of it is simply tedious run through, or Quick Travel back to the speeder/train station. Having the option or ability to fly would give players renewed interest in exploration of the world maps.

turbomagnus
01.24.2020 , 02:48 PM | #2
You mean other than the numerous mounts we already have that, when combined with 'Speeder Piloting' skill from any trainer, can go up to 150% of a character's normal running speed?

akdonkey
01.24.2020 , 02:54 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Hawksmoorreturns View Post
Is there any talk about getting full fledged outdoor flying mounts? This ability could be tied to character level and/or a Legacy unlock. SWTOR has an enormous game play area, and a lot of it is simply tedious run through, or Quick Travel back to the speeder/train station. Having the option or ability to fly would give players renewed interest in exploration of the world maps.
My guess is the coding does not support this. Or the Jetpacks would have been the first example.

SteveTheCynic
01.25.2020 , 03:03 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by turbomagnus View Post
You mean other than the numerous mounts we already have that, when combined with 'Speeder Piloting' skill from any trainer, can go up to 150% of a character's normal running speed?
Speeder Piloting V is +130%, and it's worth noting that "Sprint" is already +35%.

OP probably means mounts that can fly *up*, like a GW2 Skyscale or various things in some parts of WoW (although Blizzard supposedly said that they think it was a mistake).
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

SteveTheCynic
01.25.2020 , 04:07 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by akdonkey View Post
My guess is the coding does not support this. Or the Jetpacks would have been the first example.
Pfft. Code can be changed.(1)

Note that I'm not saying that it would be *easy* to change in a way that gives the requested results, nor that it would be a good idea, just that "the coding does not support this" is not a useful argument against the suggestion.

(1) Changing code is (part of) my job, and has been for more than thirty years. I have colleagues younger than my career.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

turbomagnus
01.25.2020 , 02:35 PM | #6
Ah. I stand corrected on both parts.

I'd have to say I consider flying mounts unlikely (yes, even Jetpacks, he types with great sadness) because of how badly they could be abused. Just for a possible example; there's a laserbridge unextended, separating player and party in an OP? The player could just fly over the chasm and back to the group, no need to activate the bridge or anything.

aristein
01.25.2020 , 04:30 PM | #7
I don't think it will ever happen, nor do I think it should happen. They have a hard time fixing all the bugs they have already and giving significant updates. Going through the entire game code to make flying mounts happen...and dealing with all the exploits, bugs, and glitches that will occur? I don't see it.

Plus, if players could just fly over mobs, areas would get cheapened....why fight any of a planet's mobs, when you can just fly over them? Stealth would be less valuable. Pretty much everyone would only experience a planet from the air, not the ground.....for the few seconds it takes to get to the dot on the mini-map anyway.

Christ, we already have instant travel from the map (just open the map and instant travel to any planet). We have quick travel (just click quick travel and be instantly teleported to spots throughout the planet). And, we have mounts to move MUCH faster than any mob in the game. Any less engagement in the game and it might as well be a series of arena matches (just click the next button and be teleported to your next opponent). Maybe that is all some people want. But a lot of us want to play an actual star wars game (you know traveling the galaxy, exploring planets, getting involved in affairs going on, etc).
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Drenovade
01.25.2020 , 04:55 PM | #8
SWTOR doesn't even have swimming yet. I'd rather see that added to be honest. Traveling around is pretty easy in this game now. I don't see much need for flying. As it's been mentioned, it would make missions too easy since you could just fly over all the enemies.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/QKzQQL
New players get rewards. Returning players get rewards.
See full details here: http://www.swtor.com/info/friends