Class Changes: Marksmanship Sniper / Sharpshooter Gunslinger

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Below you will find the upcoming changes for Marksmanship and Sharpshooter in Game Update 5.5.

Note: All changes below are currently in development and are subject to change before being released.

Sniper

Marksmanship

• Honed Shots now grants a 3% bonus to critical hit chance and damage done by Snipe per stack, down from 5%

Gunslinger

Sharpshooter

• Honed Shots now grants a 3% bonus to critical hit chance and damage done by Charged Burst per stack, down from 5%

DevNotes: Marksmanship / Gunslinger Sharpshooter was slightly overperforming, so we reduced the critical hit chance and damage of Snipe / Charged Burst by a small amount through a passive, which brought the discipline in line with its DPS target.

-eric

My math gives me a roughly 250 dps nerf for my top parse, would be slightly less for average parses since my crit luck for snipes was slightly above average. Not the end of the world, should still be able to beat dps checks. Edited by shyroman

Would be nice to know when all the PVE Bosses are going to get nerfed across the board. After all the class nerf's we have seen to nearly every class so far this year it would seem appropriate.

All these nerfs though make nim actually really difficult dps wise though but not impossible. Especially with the introduction of 248 gear. A lot of the dps and heal checks in nim became so much easier to the point of when a group got the mechanics of a fight down, then the boss was dead without usually having to worry about dps/heal checks outside of a few exceptions.

Lol. Can't wait for when they have to nerf Lightning to bring it in line with Arsenal/MM. The outrage will be real. These whole changes are a joke. No respect for PVE progression, no respect for PVP (ignoring broken utilities). Only focused on bringing the DPS down to numbers they want (yes they will be more balanced than early 5.0, even tho that 5% is wrong, but boy their way to approach class balance doesn't take players having fun into account).

DevNotes: Marksmanship / Gunslinger Sharpshooter was slightly overperforming, so we reduced the critical hit chance and damage of Snipe / Charged Burst by a small amount through a passive, which brought the discipline in line with its DPS target.

This... this is absurd.

This shows me you don't play this game, the classes and maybe even the raids. MM is by far the worst performing spec, and you just nerfed it. This class needed a buff in some fashion, not a nerf. #biowerbalancing

I think people are severely underestimating the strength of marksman. Right now I'd prefer it for 4 out of the 5 apex nim bosses with the only exception being council (though it is still playable in marks). Some will prefer virulence for terror but marks is still playable and will put out competitive numbers due to the target swapping. That's not to say that virulence couldn't be better for those 4 (it can perform a bit better on terror and for brontes because of burn and is still perfectly playable for all 5), but that's still 2/5 that I would always prefer marksman for.

After the nerfs I wouldn't prefer it for terror, but still would always prefer it for styrak and kephess. Is a spec that is that good on that many apex nim bosses really that bad? And it is also really good in pvp because of the burst. Spec is fine and will remain fine.

This... this is absurd.

This shows me you don't play this game, the classes and maybe even the raids. MM is by far the worst performing spec, and you just nerfed it. This class needed a buff in some fashion, not a nerf. #biowerbalancing

agreed. what progression raid teams remain continue to get nickel and dimed with all these things.

Enough with the nerfing,!!!!!!! What is it ?, someone gets a class they like and you kill it !!! Lightning Sorc already killed, nerfing another of the lowest performing DPS classes already !! You are making us want to quit the game, ENOUGH ALREADY !! Stop punishing the people who pay to play the game, :mad: Edited by DanarStarjammer

I think people are severely underestimating the strength of marksman. Right now I'd prefer it for 4 out of the 5 apex nim bosses with the only exception being council (though it is still playable in marks). Some will prefer virulence for terror but marks is still playable and will put out competitive numbers due to the target swapping. That's not to say that virulence couldn't be better for those 4 (it can perform a bit better on terror and for brontes because of burn and is still perfectly playable for all 5), but that's still 2/5 that I would always prefer marksman for.

After the nerfs I wouldn't prefer it for terror, but still would always prefer it for styrak and kephess. Is a spec that is that good on that many apex nim bosses really that bad? And it is also really good in pvp because of the burst. Spec is fine and will remain fine.

this is very much true, it is a great spec, with certain utilities you have great burst to actually compensate for the overall sustained lower dps than say viru or eng. however I do find the nerf to be absurd, bioware is nerfing a spec that does not need a nerf really except for some "perfect computer simulated numbers" - well players no matter how good won't have the mathematical perfect apm of a computer sim. rather they should be buffing classes that still underperform rather than nerfing classes which only slightly outperform based on a perfect computer sim. The changes to marksman are very nit-picky when compared to things that can really out-perform your dps target (carnage mara) or underperform it (concealment op, madness sorc).

So no changes to sniper's utility point ? Damn, it was the only request where everyone was okay about a nerf and instead the weak spec of the class is the only one getting nerfed :rolleyes:

Will it wait "another patch" ? Or is there no plan to balance these at all ? I think by now it's best to say it, so that we know what to expect ;)

Edited by supertimtaf

That's a joke ?

Marksmanship is cleary underperforming. Actually this is one of the worst pve spec and you decide to do a nerf ?!!

In fact you clearly don't care about players and your game.

So everybody must play your lovely class : Marauder or unsubscribe and find another game ?

Edited by Mocaccino

I am sorry to say, but where do you get this crazy idea that marksman is over performing ? The only two specs that are parsing lower than it are lightning and madness sorc ?

Just more evidence that your development team does not have a clue how to actually play this game.

Do you wonder why Austin SOE development team lost SWG, and a few days after SWG close down Austin Bioware team appears ... this is the second starwars MMO that your developers have trashed.

Edited by Loki_

Hey folks,

Below you will find the upcoming changes for Marksmanship and Sharpshooter in Game Update 5.5.

-eric

Eric, after your class changes some of the specs became useless on warzones. Such as virulence sniper, carnage mara, concealment operative. Everyone switched to fury mara, engi/mm sniper, other classes... i don't see many of the specs i mentioned which concerns me pretty much ;( i think you nerfed them too much

That's a joke ?

Marksmanship is cleary underperforming. Actually this is one of the worst pve spec and you decide to do a nerf ?!!

In fact you clearly don't care about players and your game.

So everybody must play your lovely class : Marauder or unsubscribe and find another game ?

I believe the idea is that mm is slightly above the ranged: burst damage target dps. So with this nerf, which will be fairly insignificant (think of the engi nerf, and this is only half the damage), mm will be down to the target dps. Honestly speaking, I think even with this nerf snipers are in a great position due to how amazing our defensives are and we can still pull solid dps on all fights. As part of a personal experiment, I have actually played marksmanship on almost all of the nim fights (except council and tanks) and never faced issues with group dps being low. I've also never had issues being outperformed in pvp because mm has excellent aoe, target swapping, and defensives. I've gotten multiple 8k+ warzones just due to how amazing suppressive fire is :) I think mm will be in a better position than you realize.