BioWare: Change the final fight please (major spoilers)

Maylander

seriously did bioware not think what happens if someone doesn't have a companion that heals? Force sweep doesnt even work on the adds you have to actually hit them one by one while T7 despite not having any threat mechanics on manages to pull aggro? I was gonna try cyclone slash but I am so annoyed right now, not in a guild at the moment so going to try get someone to help me >.<

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience with the fight:

• The puzzle to gear your droid companion (more in a bit) not only looks unfinished and ugly, but it also results in a chest that you can't loot.
  • The Emperor fight itself is stupid hard (unless you cheat - more in a bit), even if it wasn't completely buggy.
  • There's a force push move that the emperor does that one shots players. Full health (13k+ as a tank class) to 0 with no casting time. No combat log, so pretty much you get flung against a wall, and you're just dead, with no way of knowing what happened.
  • The fight can be cheated by pulling the Emperor halfway through the zone to a balcony, where you can force push him right off the ledge. This doesn't always kill him, but it does take him to almost no health, making him easy prey (provided he doesn't use the random insta-kill ability when he gets back).
  • - The player is forced to use a companion which they probably haven't used in over 35 levels, and haven't geared said companion in just as long. Even if they did, it's a terrible companion to use, since the player is at least 50% likely to be a tank... and the companion is a tank.
  • The cutscene is incredibly poorly done. It's literally like the team ran out of time, and just kind of gave up. The lead-in cutscene to meet the emperor was better at least (bonus points for including the intended method of defeating the clones in the cutscene).
  • Last but not least, let's not forget the hilarious reward; a pair of pants that you could have purchased 10 levels before on the PvP vendor, and about 6k credits. That's right, save the galaxy, get a pair of pants, and enough credits to cover about a death's worth of repair costs.

tl;dr, or don't want to read spoilers?

The fight was buggy and poorly tested. The instance dragged on, and was uninspired. The overall experience was unpolished. The reward was terrible. The puzzle is still buggy. And to be honest, the story was poorly done too. If I hadn't already cancelled, this experience would have driven me over the edge.

Edit to include additional relevant information:

• Saved companion - there's not really a choice, considering you dole out dark side points for the alternative.
  • Guardian, heavy defense spec.
  • For what it's worth, cyclone slash wouldn't kill the adds for me, I had to individually target them.

Edited by _Ilucide_
Adding more information

Couldn't solo it with 50 lvl watchman spec sentinel simply because of lack aoe of this spec, and my T7 couldn't make enough aoe to kill all copies of emperror because his copies spread out and it's simply needed to use couple of aoe spells to down them which I lack as I'm watchman specced. And my t7 is with the lowest gear since I never used it after I got Kira. I just had to go back to the fleet and either gear up my T7 or respec to focus tree which provides some aoe and therefore T7 gearing may be avoided. The fight needs tweaking imo.

Just like most of the Watchman Sentinels here, Doomsday quest is a "game killer" for me. I was one of the very first 50 lvl Sentinels on Bloodworthy EU realm and still, i havent had chance to make even 1 quest/daily on Illum just because i cant solo my final class quest that is meant to be solo done.

This quest is simply unfinished, with way too overpowered trash mobs (my companion dies on each pack), unforseen choice of companion that most of us havent used since lvl 16 when we left Coruscant, poor zone architecture, extremly overpowered final boss (Emperor) and no way out of the zone whatsoever.

In short, that final quest is broken for me and needs revamp and redone.

Just like most of the Watchman Sentinels here, Doomsday quest is a "game killer" for me. I was one of the very first 50 lvl Sentinels on Bloodworthy EU realm and still, i havent had chance to make even 1 quest/daily on Illum just because i cant solo my final class quest that is meant to be solo done.

This quest is simply unfinished, with way too overpowered trash mobs (my companion dies on each pack), unforseen choice of companion that most of us havent used since lvl 16 when we left Coruscant, poor zone architecture, extremly overpowered final boss (Emperor) and no way out of the zone whatsoever.

In short, that final quest is broken for me and needs revamp and redone.

This. Game killer.

I posted early in this thread about my frustration regarding this fight. I was Republic's first level 50 on my server, so there weren't too many around that could help. After that disaster of a final fight, I decided to put my Guardian on hold and level a Commando to 50. Now I've returned to my Guardian and I've done the only reasonable thing: Get help.

We were two JKs that teamed up and killed him twice, one for each of us. Even then it was hard, but certainly doable.

Seriously, just avoid the hassle and team up to do it. I know it's meant to be a solo fight, but it simply isn't in its current form.

By the way: Trooper class quests are nowhere near JK ones in terms of difficulty. They are downright easy in comparison to several of our fights.

I feel quite cheated about this quest really. Developers seemed to forgot that this is an MMO and they just created a Story-Breaker quest....literally.

I mean I can understand the hard fights but this is unreasonable. Whoever designed this fight really wants Emperor to destroy the Galaxy.

I don't even wanna talk about the mob packs before the Dark Temple... with a non-geared T7...

I died at least 10-15 times until I reach the emperor ( had to sneak up the mobs because somehow I attack 1 strong mob and 6 standart mobs spawn to **** my *** )

And when I finally reach Emperor for an Epic confortation... I get a fight where I literally have to run around the room hoping not to get caught by lightning and 5 deadly copies of the Emperor literally dropping me %50 hp with one shot.

At least make those clones vulnarable to Force Sweep ? I mean when good does this fight do to the game itself ? We only learn to run and hide. No Raid tactics, no skill rotation. Just run around and hope to get lucky ...

And about finding help, I don't think anyone would want to spoil a storyline's ending quest since they want to complete it themselves and there shouldn't be a need of it.

Soo this might sound like whining but after dying 30+ times ( more than I ever died over the course of 50 lvls , 10+ planets, flashpoints etc etc ) spending half of my credits. I feel like the awesome storyline I live in until I reach the Emperor just got destroyed.

Think of it this way, what would you think of the LOTR series when Frodo fails to drop the ring and killed by Nazguls, Sauron regains his power...and destroys everything... the end.

That is how I felt when I fought with the Emperor. All the '' you are the only one who can defeat him ! '' talk and bam... you get this ridicilous fight...

I am dissappointed...

Edited by wowlock

For those who are still to do this, Another Sentinel was kind enough to help me do mine so now it's done (NEVER AGAIN!!).

Saying that.. apparantly the solution to the puzzle is to make the same symbol on each of the 6 panels. There is no order necessary just all 6 panels to have the same symbol (cycles through some each click).

The guy who helped me did it for me but the chest was bugged.. no matter cos I had a massively geared 50 Sentinel with a fully geared Doc. We downed The Emperor very easily, it did make it a bit anti-climatic given the massive build up. But I blame BW for that alone as this obviously wasn't quality tested properly or at all.

How about someone post how the FK to solve the puzzle!!!.

I'm sick of getting killed by the mob's I near HAVE to aggro to TRY and click a couple of the glowies.

You join the lines so they form a empire sign. Not too difficult.

On the subject of the last it's just not possible to keep T7 alive, he can't tank, can't dps and can't heal. Even with lvl 50 mods the droid is dead before the first is over.

Either buffs our so called "ranged tank" or give us the option of another companion.

You join the lines so they form a empire sign. Not too difficult.

On the subject of the last it's just not possible to keep T7 alive, he can't tank, can't dps and can't heal. Even with lvl 50 mods the droid is dead before the first is over.

Either buffs our so called "ranged tank" or give us the option of another companion.

Or, you could just hit Awe, stun all the adds, and the boss, and you and T7 can take them out before Awe wears off letting you go back to fighting the boss.

It's not impossible, it's just hard. People who complain they can't do it are either doing it wrong, or don't want a challenge.

Or, you could just hit Awe, stun all the adds, and the boss, and you and T7 can take them out before Awe wears off letting you go back to fighting the boss.

Ok. That's the first wave of adds. What about the next two-three waves? Awe has a too long cooldown to be usable more than once. I guess I could kite the emperor around a pillar until awe comes off cooldown, but is avoiding the fight for a few minutes really the intended mechanic? This is all assuming that they spawn close enough to each other, which they don't.

I can't interrupt the boss often enough even with three different interrupts because only one of them is on a short cooldown and the boss chain casts spells that take down 20-40% of my health every 5 seconds. Even if I managed to interrupt everything his channeled spell (don't remember the name, but it's the channeled lightning that snares) takes 5-10% of my health on the first tick before I can interrupt. This means that if all the adds decide to start casting that spell at the same time they eat half of my health within a second from spawning before I could even use awe (never seen all of them do it, but I've seen 3 at the same time).

Cyclone strike does nothing to the adds. I've wiped 3 times to test this, they are immune to cyclone strike.

Using LoS behind pillars kind of works when the adds spawn just right, when they don't I can LoS three of them while the other two just snare and nuke me to death.

I will keep trying today because I have a few more strategies to try, but anyone saying that he can be taken down with normal interrupts or cyclone strike or line of sight exploits is obviously talking about a different fight than I see.

Is this quest required? Like are there any more class quests beyond this? I'm not attempting it again until it's adjusted.

Saved Kira, Combat-spec'd Sentinel with T7 in lvl 24 or so gear, he dies in like literally one GCD worth of time when the first adds spawn. Puzzle was bugged so couldn't gear him.

The boss fight is ridiculous. Cyclone Strike doesn't kill the adds, kiting behind a pillar doesn't work 70% of the time, interrupting his spells only works if you manage to find him amongst the adds...

The lowest I got him was 30% hp, and this was after 10 wipes. I finally just brought a level 50 guildmate with me and facerolled my way to victory.

It was VERY anti-climatic. I wanted to feel like a bad-arse at the end of my class storyline, instead I felt like a whimp.

If you can solo this fight, then hats off to you. You are a remarkable player. I was able to complete it in 3 attempts with a level 45 healer coming along with me. It was still tough with just the two of us.

My advice, find a friend, preferably two before attempting this quest.

With two, I took the emperor along with T7, my healing friend kept us alive and used his companion to down the emperor clones. You have to keep someone on the emperor to interrupt force blast, its a one shot death. The other abilities can be healed through.

With three, we had a 45 jedi healer, a jedi sentinel and a guardian (me). T7 of course was with us. I tanked the emp, interrupting force blast, sentinel cleaned up ads and healer kept us alive. We burned him down in maybe two sets of clones, no problems.

Save yourself some frustration, take at least a healer, preferably more.

I er. I punted him down the stairs. I then got him to 10%, he despawned, and then T7 inexplicably did around 15k damage a second to him and killed him.

Gravity killed him. I am wondering, personally, if a GM took pity on me and killed him.

A relatively easy fix for fights like this is to give the tanking companions some means of healing themselves, and in this specific case, let bloody Force Sweep kill the shadows.

Edited by Bakarn

If you can solo this fight, then hats off to you. You are a remarkable player. I was able to complete it in 3 attempts with a level 45 healer coming along with me. It was still tough with just the two of us.

My advice, find a friend, preferably two before attempting this quest.

With two, I took the emperor along with T7, my healing friend kept us alive and used his companion to down the emperor clones. You have to keep someone on the emperor to interrupt force blast, its a one shot death. The other abilities can be healed through.

With three, we had a 45 jedi healer, a jedi sentinel and a guardian (me). T7 of course was with us. I tanked the emp, interrupting force blast, sentinel cleaned up ads and healer kept us alive. We burned him down in maybe two sets of clones, no problems.

Save yourself some frustration, take at least a healer, preferably more.

I finally killed him by kiting him to the stairs, knocking him down, kiting him again, knocking him down, etc. While doing this, I found another possible method. It's to kill him with saber throw. It will take 15 minutes of careful kiting, but should work. Good luck to everyone who wants to do this without exploiting lousy game mechanics, you'll need it.

Also killed him with force push down the stairs after 10 wipes. You could kite him around enough so that Awe is always back on timer when the adds spawn. I also was micromanaging T7 to do Awe+T7AoE to kill the adds pretty quick with minimal loss of life. You need to put T7 on passive also so he doesn't get killed by the emperor and just use him as a AoE bot. It's possible I could have gotten him all the way down with this method but I was impatient from dying 10 times so I just pushed him down the stairs twice.

So for sents it sucks, but on the upside the video of the Sentinel killing him it seemed like your dps was sufficient to down him a lot quicker than I had been, so this micromanaging T7 + kiting might work for you.

Edited by newport

Hey folks!

If you are unable to solo this fight, please give us a bit more information as requested below:

1) Did you save your companion?

2) What is your advanced class and tree spec?

This fight is designed to be soloable by fully utilizing your interrupts. You should not need to use any LOS tricks, etc, but we will take a look at exactly which circumstances are making this fight undefeatable for some players.

Thanks for your help!

Did I read this right that this is meant to be calibrated WITHOUT LOS tricks?

I'm a combat sentinel. There's no way in the Galaxy I could solo this quest. Nowhere else in the game did I feel like a terrible sentinel; my results in flashpoints and soloing are quire good.

Ok, interrupts. I have two versus above-normal mobs:

1. Force Kick

2. Force Stasis

The latter has a 1-minute cooldown and can only be used once per fight. (A minute versus the emperor and I am dead.)

With good playing versus other bosses, I get three interrupts before waiting for Force Kick's full CD.

1. Force Kick

2. Force Stasis

3. Force Kick again

Now it's the entire duration of Force Kick's CD that I take damage. I cannot survive that long against the emperor, even dodging his AOE with the floor icon. His normal lightning bolt 3-shots me.

To add to this, I cannot keep the emperor targetted for interrupts during the clones phase. There are now 5 emperors.

If Force Sweep worked, that is my usual AOE interrupt if many trash are casting spells. Since it does not work on the clones, there goes that idea.

The only other thing I can think of is that aoe which causes mobs to hold their heads and their eyes to glow; can't recall the name offline. While it prevents attacks, I have never seen it INTERRUPT any, and in any case, at a 1-minute CD, it would only be good for one batch of clones.

So what is the proposed method to interrupt all of the emperor's casts AND 5 clones at the same time? I can take the clones out as fast as the GCD will allow, and that means they get a minimum of one spell off. Usually the last clone and the emperor both hit me.

___

In the end, I took a group of three. The fight was horrifically anticlimactic, because while the emperor's damage 3-shots me, apparently his HP are calibrated to a single-player fight. (I had gotten him to 50% before.) Easy mode with a group.

The trash, though? The trash took us FOREVER. Granted, we had a group of 3, so we got enemy "reinforcements" without a full four.

But here's the thing; even single player, the trash took FOREVER. And I had geared T7 because I read about this in advance and I knew I could take nobody else. T7 is in all blue gear. He died every second-to-third pull. Do I just suck? (I don't suck with Doc or a geared Kira or even Rusk...but hey, what do I know. Maybe I do suck.)

So there's this chest of gear that's supposed to gear T7 for help with the fight. Awesome.

Except you have to fight TONS of trash just to reach it.

My group helped me solve the puzzle...they're troopers (not the class) and they were curious. So we did it. Heard the music, saw the alter move or whatever it does. The chest had clickable sides but could not be looted.

Wouldn't you think this would be one of the most important game areas to get RIGHT?

None of that, the chest bug, the emperor's calibration, etc. NONE of it makes up for trying to fight waves of trash with T7.

If "interrupts" are the way to beat this fight, I have given you all of my interrupt options and the relative damage I take for the abilities I can't interrupt. It is not possible without LOS play. Nobody has yet posted a non-LOS strategy except for "burn the boss", which may be possible in Guardian armor and health. It wasn't for me.

Darth Angral took me four tries. That was way more fun.

EDIT:

I didn't see this half at first:

1) Did you save your companion?

Yes I did. What different did it make? Were we supposed to be able to use that one instead of T7? I got no such option. Nor did anyone else.

As an additional bug (if there weren't enough)...

Lord Scourge was naked in the holocommunication in the cutscene following the emperor fight.

All in all, that's not bad considering the rest of this. As someone who beat it, had fun taking a group to do so and didn't even spend much on repair bills, I have to add to the crowd:

Nothing about the fight was fun or "challenging" in the traditional sense of overcoming beatable odds. "Impossible" and "broken" are the only words I can use, and I'm a pretty fair-minded near-fanboy not just of SWTOR but even of my class/spec.

My 2 credits. Enjoy.

TLDR? Emperor fight sucks, took a group to beat it, I love everything else about the game (including my class/spec).

Edited by Lomerell

I haven't reached this part yet, still a lowly lvl 46 sentinel, but iirc, force jump works as an interupt as well. I've noticed when fighting some bosses that force jumping on the (I'm watchman specced with the skill that allows force jump at 0 meters) interupts moves. Not sure if it works on the emperor but it would be interesting to know since it would give you another interupt. Also, theres a skill on the watchman tree that reduces the CD on force kick and force stasis by 2 secs and 15 sec respectively once that skill is maxed on the tree. Might be an option for the watchman specced sentinels.