Torn apart - Guardian/Vanguard

Tuomori

As you might quess by the title,

Im really torn apart which one to choose as my first character to play.

I wanna be tanky dps and cant seem to decite between Guardian and Vanguard.

Any help from you guys?

I mainly start to focus PvP, since aint gotta that much time to do operations.

The main concern atm is that what I've seen of guardians, they seem to lack on something I cant put my finger on.

Cheers!

I hate to say it but at this time, overall, Vanguard seems to be the far more effective tank. They have range, great defenses, both a charge and a pull.

I find Guardian to be a lot more fun. That's why I do it. Only you can answer which you'd enjoy more. But if you want to look at things objectively, you'd probably be better off with a Vanguard.

Supposedly the Guardian will have a revamp soon after launch that should address some of its shortcomings, and maybe it will actually be a better choice at that time. But you never know. It's usually not a good idea to pick based on what class is the "best" because as buffs and nerfs come, that is going to change over time. It's better to try the classes out and just figure out which one you like.

Thanks for the fast and mature replay Atamasama.

What you just said was pretty much my thoughts aswell.

So therefore I will go by the feeling, which however I dont know what it is yet :)

Anyways I could also roll a dice like Ive done on several mmo's in the past ;)

I am quite torn on this too. I like the JKG look and style but i have always liked playing a swiss army knife style tank as well.

All speculation but i think one of the nuances between the two will be the guardian's absorption of burst damage vs. the utility to move and manage a fight as a vanguard.

In one of the Eternity Vault videos i was watching the Vanguard would stay in LoS of his healer that was behind a turret while still maintaining aggro on the boss. So where the Guardian might blow a cooldown and stay in the mobs face, a vanguard will backpedal a bit and get healed while still doing some DPS/Threat (in this fight everyone but the tank was running out of LoS of the boss)

Edited by AgtDALLAS

All speculation but i think one of the nuances between the two will be the guardian's absorption of burst damage vs. the utility to move and manage a fight as a vanguard.

I wonder when that will happen. Guardians don't currently have any advantage in absorbing burst damage to my knowledge.

I wonder when that will happen. Guardians don't currently have any advantage in absorbing burst damage to my knowledge.

On my phone right now but will compare in a second. I thought guardians had one more tanking cooldown than the other two.

I think a better scaling blade barrier was part of my thinking there as well. Forgot it currently scales like crap

Edited by AgtDALLAS

On my phone right now but will compare in a second. I thought guardians had one more tanking cooldown than the other two.

I think a better scaling blade barrier was part of my thinking there as well. Forgot it currently scales like crap

Tanking cooldown comparison:

Guardian

* Warding Call - 40% reduction to all damage for 10s, 3m CD

* Saber Ward - 50% ranged/melee defense and 25% force/tech mitigation for 12s, first 2s are 100% ranged/melee defense, 3m CD

* Enure - 30% max HP boost for 10s (HP lost at the end), 3m CD

Vanguard

* Reactive Shield - 25% reduction to all damage for 12s, 2m CD

* Adrenaline Rush - 15% self-heal over 10s, 2m CD

Guardians do have one more CD than Vanguards, but Shadows actually have 3 as well, and they are shorter CDs than the Guardian abilities.

Note that the Vanguard has one fewer ability, but the CDs are a minute shorter. It depends on the length of the fight which class has more abilities to use. In a fight less than 4 minutes long, the Vanguard can only use 2 abilities while the Guardian can use 3. But let's say you have a fight between 4-6 minutes long, the Guardian can only use 3 emergency CDs, while the Vanguard can use 4 because the CD has refreshed on them by that time. After 6 minutes, the Guardian can use 3 more, but by that point the Vanguard's CDs have also expired, so both classes could have used 6 total abilities. After 8 minutes the Vanguard can use their 2 abilities again, for a total of 8 uses, while the Guardian has to wait for 9 minutes to go by before they can use their abilities again. And so on.

Also, Enure is a pretty awful ability that can actually cause you to accidentally kill yourself. It's not worthless but it's situational and risky. I don't like the thought of an emergency skill that can cause me to die by accident.