Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

KeithKanneg

You see any hot new MMOs being developed? No?

I wonder if that's because the fidget spinner populace is playing hearthstone, League of Legends, CS go, and PUBG...

I love MMOs, I miss the days of a failed WoW killer coming out every 4 months, but tis genre is dead because people don't care about it. Beyond that, this new base of players that want a single player game out of a multiplayer is giving it cancer.

At this point I've concluded that most of you are that player base, and I'm tired of reading the ignorance.

If people seem to not care it's because the games that have been released don't live up to their potential as far as new content and continued development. Companies like EA want to recoup their investment too fast and they don't let the games mature. This game is a prime example of that.

Edit : EA gutted the talent straight after launch or others left when they realised EA weren't going to let them develop the game the way it needed too keep players interested.

Yes it went over budget when it was released, but EA are simple minded and never want to let an investment mature. They want their money back straight away. If they hadn't panicked and made it F2P and kept the talent in the game, swtor could have been one of the most succeful MMO games of all time.

It's a shame that Disney hadn't already purchased Star Wars and announced more movies. If they had it might have been a different story and EA "may" have stayed their nerf hand to the development team and given the game a chance.

All other current SW games are doing really well and a lot has to do with the investment being made. It's the lack of investment and neglect by EA over the years that has run this game down.

The only thing that would save this game now would be if Disney started to put pressure on EA and said they were going to make the Old Republic content cannon and start some new Old Republic media type content like an animated series, movie, TV show, canon books and comics.

If Disney put a spot light on Old Republic content, there maybe renewed interest in swtor.

Edited by Icykill_

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If people seem to not care it's because the games that have been released don't live up to their potential as far as new content and continued development. This game is a prime example of that.

You're exactly right, but sadly the game devs won't figure out and just go with people not wanting the class of game.

I hope with the demand for sandbox we can get another great mmo that advanced the sandbox features of the past and evolves world pvp and large scale raiding.

ultimate the day an mmo feels massive again, i'll sing it's praises.

I had high hopes of Star Citizen doing that, but they seem to never want to finish the game outside of Alpha and Beta... every year they say they plan to launch the game and then they don't. They've now spent more money on that game than can be considered appropriate and still no sign of a real launch.

Focus on MMO content this year and the lowest numbers ever seen in the game ... yup MMO content focus is working wonders.

What focus. Yes they are working on a new op, but they are also working on more story, new daily areas, and new strongholds. They are not focusing on MMO content, they just stopped completely ignoring it.

That's a good lesson for everyone, never kickstart without any kind of back investment.

Kick start is ok, as long as there is an end plan to launch the game... I think the problem with Star Citizen is the more money they've been given the bigger their plans got for the game... now they expect that money too keep coming in and they keep expanding on their ideas instead of just finishing up... but now the game ideas are so big they've dug a hole for themselves... if people pull the funding or it slows then they can't finish because the game development has gone out of control and has a life of its own.

I think it's got more people working on this ones game than any other game in history. They are running two studios, one in NA and one in the U.K.... Its like a small industry and they just keep spending... the more money they get the more they splash out and waste... they've been getting Mark Hammil to do voice acting as well..

my guess is a lot of this money is going into the top echelons pockets and they want to milk the cow till its dead... I have a feeling the game will never launch because they are making so much money from crowd sourcing.

Edited by Icykill_

Kick start is ok, as long as there is an end plan to launch the game... I think the problem with Star Citizen is the more money they've been given the bigger their plans got for the game... now they expect that money too keep coming in and they keep expanding on their ideas instead of just finishing up... but now the game ideas are so big they've dug a hole for themselves... if people pull the funding or it slows then they can't finish because the game development has gone out of control and has a life of its own.

I think it's got more people working on this ones game than any other game in history. They are running two studios, one in NA and one in the U.K.... Its like a small industry and they just keep spending... the more money they get the more they splash out and waste... they've been getting Mark Hammil to do voice acting as well..

my guess is a lot of this money is going into the top echelons pockets and they want to milk the cow till its dead... I have a feeling the game will never launch because they are making so much money from crowd sourcing.

At one time my husband was recruited to program a kickstarter game that was being fronted by some well known You-tubers. The thing blew up while he was waiting for a contract to be sent. We were never sure if they were grossly incompetent or if they never intended to finish the game and were milking it for what they could get. We do know they kept raising funds for it for several years after we knew there was no real intent to finish it.

At one time my husband was recruited to program a kickstarter game that was being fronted by some well known You-tubers. The thing blew up while he was waiting for a contract to be sent. We were never sure if they were grossly incompetent or if they never intended to finish the game and were milking it for what they could get. We do know they kept raising funds for it for several years after we knew there was no real intent to finish it.

At least SC is actually making content. But the kick starter model is definitely open to abuse. It comes down to buyer (donator) beware,

It's certainly a good scam if they can pull it off because they have no legal obligation to do anything with the money you give them, it's just the same as if you give a stranger money on the street.

Edited by Icykill_

What focus. Yes they are working on a new op, but they are also working on more story, new daily areas, and new strongholds. They are not focusing on MMO content, they just stopped completely ignoring it.

They also focused on creating a mass nerf class extinction. That couldnt be a reason that people would leave, could it?

Very true, but you have no proof whatsoever that they all unsubbed for the reasons you claim.

All The Best

when you unsub from a game it means you are no longer supporting the games current state that is clear by the action and from that it backs up my statement thus proving me right.

I had high hopes of Star Citizen doing that, but they seem to never want to finish the game outside of Alpha and Beta... every year they say they plan to launch the game and then they don't. They've now spent more money on that game than can be considered appropriate and still no sign of a real launch.

If you haven't already, check out Ashes of Creation. Should be released late next year, it's a gorgeous looking mmo with trading, caravans, open world pvp etc. The creators worked on previous mmos like swg. The reports of the demise of mmo's has been greatly exaggerated. There is a lot of hype building for that game.

Edited by Zhedzaban

You just understand what makes a game popular it seems, nobody is clawing to watch people stream that are horrible at games and the less competitive elite play a game the less likely you will see it being streamed.

People don't have to play the game to watch streaming, and so there is no guarantee that being popular as streamed entertainment brings significant revenue to the game.

Ultimately, you're just bitter that you decide to play the route that is less acclaimed. I'm not being rude by saying you don't matter but what if you continue to deny that this game was more popular when it had a thriving raiding community you are just going to look foolish.

Well, I've been here since day one, when the game had hundreds of servers.

And even then it wasn't Raiding that made the game popular - it was individual Class and Faction stories that had VA and choices that matter.

Honestly I did't give a (insert chosen expletive) about the acclaim of some people I have never met watching me play a game - I have enough self confidence that I don't need my ego stroking like that.

All The Best

Are you kidding me!?!?! Those uprisings are as good as any flashpoints that have ever been put out, the story content has never been better in this game. NOBODY IS SATISFIED WITH THAT!

I am not kidding you, but if you think that current story is better than Class Stories you are clearly kidding, or trolling, me.

Do you actually play this game?

The Uprisings are lacklustre, and substitute "grinding through a wave of trash mobs" for actual challenging content.

And anyone who thinks the KotFE/ET story is "better" than, for example the Imperial Agent story has clearly never played the game at all. All of the Class Stories are better than Eternal Throne, yes, even the Trooper.

All The Best

Not sure where else to post this but I have a suggestion for a QoL issue, not in game but with the subscription page.

I changed credit cards so i wanted to update my subscription.

So i added the new card before deleting the old one but there's no (obvious) option to just change the subscription to use the new card.

In the end I had to cancel and then buy a new recurring subscription with the new card.

Surely this could be made a lot easier...

This has been an issue for years when i did a search on the forums.

apropos QoL:

When you open the ctrl+G Galactic Command menu and wanna do a specific planetary mission (same goes for the story-flashpoints):

it is just a stupid click-fest ... I often need to click-decline-click-decline 20+ times before the desired mission pops :mad: highly annoying - especially if you have a command boost active and it takes several minutes before you can start the mission ...

and yes, inb4: you could pick the missions from the Fleet/Odessen terminal or travel via priority transport to the desired daily area and click-fest later - yes, I could do that - but they introduced the GC menu as a means to start missions and thus it should be working smoothly ... hence: QoL ;)

so: please, I repeat, PLEASE let us select the desired mission via drop down or something!

No disagreement, as these demographic breakdowns have been known in the MMO market space for years now.

That said .... there were four major demographics that hopped on SWTOR at launch:

1) Joe MMO player who plays a range of content, casually for the most part, and loves the SW IP. These have consistently been the most persistent players in this MMO for more then 5 years now.

2) KOTOR Fans who actually approached the game as if it were KOTOR3 (which is was not), and lost interest once they capped a character or two and gnashed about it not being KOTOR3.

3) Avid MMO raiders, who of course speed leveled to level cap and then went postal over no raid content at launch

4) Avid MMO PvPers, who alos speed leveled to cap and then went postal when they saw that the client was not up to their demand of massive open world PvP battles.

Note: I guess a 5th group could be --> Disaffected SW Galaxies players that got booted to the curb by Sony..... but these are pretty small numbers in the context of launch population in this game, and these diehards probably fall easily into one of the 4 main groups to be honest.

The only group that actually notably persisted in numbers through the years as the game content and direction ebbed and flowed were group 1. Some in groups 2, 3, and 4 of course also stuck around or went into sub/unsub cycles around expacs (which frankly means they only hang around for a month or two out of each year).

Three of those four were destined to be disappointed in the early months of this game, and probably made up about 75% of the launch players. ;)

These are some rather interesting observations.

Way back when SWTOR came out, my husband and I started playing together with a bunch of friends. We started a guild with the thought to level up at an easy pace and eventually probably do some light raiding. At the time, some of us were pretty burned out by WoW raiding 3-4 times a week, so we didn't mind that much that there weren't raids in SWTOR yet. ....plus the PC I had back then couldn't handle WoW's Cataclysm raids, so I didn't mind having time to get a new PC before possible raiding.

Anyway, some rushed through to max level, got bored and left. Others didn't get that hooked to begin with and left. As sort of a sidenote, the same happened with RIFT. A bunch of us from the old WoW guild tried it, started a guild and played for a while, but then people started getting bored and dropping off. I don't even remember why.

My husband and I liked playing SWTOR together. His Sith Warrior, my Bounty Hunter. They did everything together from the moment they met on the Fleet, all the way to Rishi.

We never raided or PvPed. We sometimes did Flashpoints to push ourselves a little, just the two of us and our companions, and we made several other duos we played together. Until Rishi.

Personally, I like the SoR content. I do NOT like how playing the story content together with someone else seized to exist at that point.

That was the MMORPG content my husband and I enjoyed. Playing together, progressing together, seeing our characters develop into personalities with history that was affected by the other person's/character's choices. My Bounty Hunter turned out a lot darker than he would have, had he not been hanging out with a heartless Sith Warrior... until Rishi, where my BH started softening up again when he was more influenced by Mako than the Sith Warrior.

My husband stopped playing shortly after KOTFE. He did a few chapters on the Sith Warrior, but he was always so disappointed that the story was now completely single player. That's not what we signed up for, that's not what we wanted in this game.

We didn't mind that we had never played much "proper" MMO content. We missed our guildies, sure - but then, the guild chat popping up in the middle of a cut scene was a bit annoying anyway - but we did mind that our duos were dead. We still played, but on our own. My husband made new alts and played the old story content until he just didn't see a point in paying a sub, and now he only logs on if I, for some reason, need help with something. After DvL and the FPs I couldn't solo, I think he's logged on once, and I can't even remember why.

As it is now, what I wish most for is content that's scaled based on how many players are in the group. I've given up on wishing for shared story content - it won't bring my husband back to the game anyway, at least not if he has to play through KOTFEET to reach any new and hopefully better content. He's heard me sigh and spam the spacebar too many times to even want to know how that story ends. (I've told him, of course, but he has no interest in seeing if he'd enjoy it more than I did.)

So I'm on my own. I'm fine with that, until hubby and I find some other game we enjoy playing together. I just wish more Flashpoints had solo options, and that Ops had some sort of tourist mode, and that Uprisings got the solo mode there was talk about them having when they were first brought up.

Anyway. TL;DR:

I came to SWTOR wanting an MMORPG in the way WoW is an MMORPG, but my friends left and now I play by myself and feel fine doing so, just want more soloable content.

when you unsub from a game it means you are no longer supporting the games current state that is clear by the action and from that it backs up my statement thus proving me right.

But you are subbed so you support the current state???

Oh right sorry I forgot, imaginary people pay for your sub because they want to see what nonsense you will post next.

You just understand what makes a game popular it seems, nobody is clawing to watch people stream that are horrible at games and the less competitive elite play a game the less likely you will see it being streamed.

Ultimately, you're just bitter that you decide to play the route that is less acclaimed. I'm not being rude by saying you don't matter but what if you continue to deny that this game was more popular when it had a thriving raiding community you are just going to look foolish.

Why would I care about what someone is streaming? If I not playing the game, I have other things to do then watch someone "stream" a game. I have never watched someone streaming a game and have no reason to do so now. I have more important things to do when I am not playing.

Are you kidding me!?!?! Those uprisings are as good as any flashpoints that have ever been put out, the story content has never been better in this game. NOBODY IS SATISFIED WITH THAT!

Ummmm... This has to a be troll post. Uprisings are total garbage. I did the first few a few times and gave up. I never tried the second set and have absolutely no intention of ever doing so. They don'ty drop decent loot, they are simple zerg fests. What's the point? There's no fun in them.

As to story, the current story 4.x/5.x is the worst stuff BW has put out for SWTOR. For a company that claims to be all about story, it's even worse because it feels like ti was written by a different intern for each chapter. It's totally disjointed, the story no longer has the player as the main character, it's only one story for everyone (and doesn't fit half the classes at all. Even the smuggler story is way better (and the smuggler and BH are tied for me as the worst in the original game.)

Seriously, everyone who made decisions that ok'd 4.x and 5.x needs to be gone from the company. Just getting rid of Ben doesn't really cut it. They need to come up with a good way to retcon 4.x and 5.x out of the story. I'll never play them on another character and wish I could abandon them on the characters that started it. Only 2 have finished it and no others ever will. It's that bad.

...you continue to deny that this game was more popular when it had a thriving raiding community you are just going to look foolish.

I don't necessarily agree with all of the things you put out there, but this is a good point.

If Ford makes a Shelby at $80,000, not everyone can afford it. Does that mean they should stop making high end cars and only build Ford Focuses because that's the type of car most people can afford?

Even if only 5% of the population does NiM raiding in SWTOR, it is still worthwhile to make NiM ops.

I just love it when people make up stats, does anyone else? :)

I didn't make it up. At the one year anniversary they gave us this info-graphic:

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20141126

Of the 57 MILLION characters created, only 6.8 million (11.52%) ever got their starter ships. After one full year, only 11.52% of the players ever got through the second planet story. There was no summons back then, no guild ships...your personal spaceship was the only means you had to traverse anywhere but Fleet.

So...my assertion that most players never even completed their first story at the launch of this game, seems like a reasonable and accurate assumption given the facts we have been given.

That said .... there were four major demographics that hopped on SWTOR at launch:

2) KOTOR Fans who actually approached the game as if it were KOTOR3 (which is was not), and lost interest once they capped a character or two and gnashed about it not being KOTOR3.

3) Avid MMO raiders, who of course speed leveled to level cap and then went postal over no raid content at launch

4) Avid MMO PvPers, who alos speed leveled to cap and then went postal when they saw that the client was not up to their demand of massive open world PvP battles.

All of your assumptions about players speed leveling are proven false by Bioware's very own information. MOST never even got their starter ship.

Edited by TUXs