SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

trolling?? really!!! ok then call it that if you want to.But you know i am right once geared out no point in doing fp.Then what is left hmm pvping?

So it takes you two hours to completely gear out a level 50 in all Nightmare Mode Operation gear? Proof or it didn't happen.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR has WAY more content at launch than lazy SOE devs managed to develop in eight years.

I used to love SWG for it's community and social side, not the game. Whenever i came back after taking a break i was coming back to my friends, never for the game.

The last months of SWG when we were practically flooded with content, proved more than anything how extremely lazy SWG devs were all those years.

I disagree swg had way more to do than swtor has period. The crafting system in swg was 300% better than in this joke of a game called swtor. the companions in swg might have been droids or a pet that was created by a beast master but they were and still 300% better than in swtor. the companions in this game in my opinion could not fight there way out of a wet paper bag.

The whole entire swg game the housing,player cities,and mission story line was by far the best i have ever seen and in my opinion is a whole lot better that what swtor brought to the table by far.

Finally in my opinion swg was the all time best with the star wars name on it and if it was still around it still would be the best

I disagree swg had way more to do than swtor has period. The crafting system in swg was 300% better than in this joke of a game called swtor. the companions in swg might have been droids or a pet that was created by a beast master but they were and still 300% better than in swtor. the companions in this game in my opinion could not fight there way out of a wet paper bag.

The whole entire swg game the housing,player cities,and mission story line was by far the best i have ever seen and in my opinion is a whole lot better that what swtor brought to the table by far.

Finally in my opinion swg was the all time best with the star wars name on it and if it was still around it still would be the best

Then stop playing TOR. I guarantee no one will miss you.

... i would like it if this game was more sandbox style like SWG and had populated worlds where NPC's would roam around, the KOTOR games felt rich with life ...

I would prefer a more sandbox style than a linear story driven game. Having the missions and quest have stories and even having them tie together is fine.

One problem with the game worlds seeming empty is once you level past the levels of a planet there is little reason to go back. If you are too high of level and go back to help people with heroics you hurt their XP gaining and potential loot rewards.

In the movies (OT and prequils) the characters had reasons to return to some planets, like Tatooine, but in this game once you are done with a planet and get a few levels beyond its "range" you may as well forget going back.

In SWG I would planet hop for all kinds of reasons; questing, resource gathering, hunting (hides, meats, etc). My guild, Antarian Rangers, made an in-game business of tracking resource spawns and gathering them with harvestors and going hunting. We also used this as a way to help level up lower level charaters (either alts or new players who we met at the starting planet star ports or cantinas).

It was like playing a "create your own adventure" game. We each had our own back story for each character, unless we wanted to there was enough variety in clothing and armor to not have clones, and the "classes" had so much variety to them we could be the same base class but yet have aunique specialty of what we did in game.

I miss SWG. But not what SWG became after the NGE, I miss what it started off being and the potential it had. I was so disapointed they decided to try and change it to make it into a FPS/WoW with lightsabers. If they wanted that they should have made a new game from the ground up.

SWTOR is just OK, so far. The best part of SWTOR is that if I get tired of playing it I can log out, cancel my sub, take time off and come back later when I am in the mood to play something "Star Warsy" again.

What if SWG 2 came out, and it was sandbox 2.0, basically redefining the way sandbox games work, ship, city, lightsaber creation is all still there, but expanded, sort of like EVE Online, the amount of freedom players have in that game is just out of this world, if they made a SWG 2 game with similar features i would play it in a heartbeat, i already wish this game was more like SWG and an SWG 2 would be a dream come true for me.

100% agree!!!

I played SWG for years, lived through the NGE, (wish I wouldn't have thou) and this game is way better in my opinion.

Sandbox didn't make the game good, there wasplenty of areas, planets in SWG that where dead. Who cares if you could speeder around the planets for hours? Nothing there, is nothing there. Especially in the end when all you saw was DEAD player cities. Can't build, can't harvest, nothing because of people who took up real estate and left.

Graphics in that game where horrible. No animations for dual wielding, and lack of polish.

There were ways to address issues that you bring up, that SOE should have done but didn't.

For example the "dead player cities" and "no room to harvest" could have been dealt with by packing all houses and harvestors into a characters inventory if the account gets canceled or goes unpaid for a certain amount of time (60 days). Player cities that didn't have the Mayor regularly logging in should have had elections open after 30 days and if none of the citizens ran or got elected the city hall packs into the last mayors inventory (so items and credits are not lost) and the city removed fromt he planetary map.

They didn't properly anticipate "lot squatting", and then once they had the issue they didn't act quickly enough to address it. Eventually they had to do it (or something like it) to prepare for server merges, but by then the damage of it was done.

As for graphics and animations; for the year it was released (given the hardware available on the market) the graphics were pretty good if not great. Just like SWTOR different people had to adjust for different gaming rigs. And animations could have been added a lot more than they were had they not wasted so much time emulating other game and ran with the original developers intentions to lead the way in the industry instead of follow the other game developers. With all the work they put into making the NGE work they could have added so much that was never added and would have made it even better than it was.

I'm not particularly invested in sandbox or themepark as long as I have plenty of bona-fide, plot-driven quests to play. Knitting sweaters and arranging my house isn't my idea of content, nor is camping an area ad nauseum for loot. I want my character's life to be one big endless Star Wars movie. To hell with mundane everyday chores, I want quests and plenty of them....as far as the eye can see, nonstop. As it stands themepark MMOs seem to accommodate my playstyle better, but if a sandbox can pull it off, power to it. Edited by Jmannseelo

Too bad nobody played that game to do even 75% of the stuff you mentioned.

Must have been because all those things you mentioned sound good on paper and were actually very terrible in-game.

Clearly you never played, or didn't play long. I saw many people playing all those aspects and more.

Pre-NGE I would regularly run in 7 player groups (PvE and PvP against other groups the same size) to do all sorts of things, and on some weekends we had multiple 7 player groups running. All that while the crafters were crafting and the resources were being harvested (the animal based resources had to be hunted/gathered unlike the environmental ones that you could drop a harvestor on).

Post-NGE that dropped to 4~5 player groups for PvE, but PvP remaind about the same (once the player base adjusted to teh new game mechanics of the post-NGE world. The crafters and other players still remained doing all the non-combat activities. Even in off-peak hours I always saw the Cantina full of players (dancers dancing and combat types getting buffs).

Just as those who don't like SWTOR shouldn't use false assrtions to critisize it, neither should those who didn't like SWG.

What if SWG 2 came out, and it was sandbox 2.0, basically redefining the way sandbox games work, ship, city, lightsaber creation is all still there, but expanded, sort of like EVE Online, the amount of freedom players have in that game is just out of this world, if they made a SWG 2 game with similar features i would play it in a heartbeat, i already wish this game was more like SWG and an SWG 2 would be a dream come true for me.

Hurr durr i'mma just compare two unlike games (believe it or not) and start a thread so I can fill the forums with yet another SWG QQ thread.

First, SWG and TOR are COMPLETELY different games. Yes, why? Because, SWG was a "Sandbox" MMO while TOR is a Standard MMO. I put Sandbox in quotations because SOE's intention was never to have SWG to be a Sandbox MMO. But since most of you here claim to have "played" the game since it was released let me bring back some memories:

In 2002, SWG's only competition was Everquest and Planetside. From 02 - 05 the game did okay. But you can pretty much imagine what happened in 2005 that put SWG on life support. In 2005, WoW released and SWG's subscription rate dramatically fell. At this moment the game's death was almost certain, but then someone at SOE said, "let's turn SWG from a standard MMO into a half baked "Sandbox" and call it an "update." At that point the SOE CEO's eyes went: :sy_auction:_:sy_auction: *Cha Ching*

And from then on the game continued to fall deeper in the "hole" it was already in.

i already wish this game was more like SWG and an SWG 2 would be a dream come true for me.

Yeah, YOU and most ROLEPLAYERS. SWG at most was a Sims in Space with a grain of Action and Adventure in it.

Basically, SWG consisted of: 97% Roleplay content, 2% PvE content, and 1% PvP content. And with SOE's infamous cold shoulder to their community with what THEY wanted.

*But, if SWG 2 was coming out and you completely ignore everything I said above try not to forget who controls your precious SWG: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/05/sony-online-entertainment-hack/

Edited by TalkingDinosaur
grammar

biodrone defense force? someone with some sense?

lol.

let me spell it out for you.

these are FACTS.

SWG was NOT good.

Sony did NOT kill SWG with ANY of their changes.

Sony tried to SAVE SWG because it was hemoraging subs already.

that CU and NGE? they came about to try and BRING PEOPLE BACK BECAUSE THEY HAD ALREADY LEFT.

SWG was bad.

fact.

Sandbox games for MMO's DO NOT WORK. EVE has so many players because it's F2P. If it wasn't F2P they'd have no better numbers of actual paying players.

Sandbox is a niche, a very SMALL niche.

oh and let me drill it to you again.

SWG was NOT good. It was already losing subs by the thousands. THAT brought the CU and NGE. Sony did NOT kill SWG. SWG wasn't good, so people left. Sony TRIED to save SWG with said CU/NGE.

get that through your head before you talk about ANYONE having "sense" lol.

seriously. I enjoyed SWG for the most part...even post CU/NGE...but planets were, player cities were ghost towns. etc. It had a small community of dedicated players. Who loved it, sure. But that doesn't change the FACT that if SWG and sandbox games were as great as you're making them out to be...SWTOR would have never happened. SWG would still be going strong. And the CU/NGE would have NEVER happened.

deny those FACTS all you want. doesn't make you even close to being correct.

Let me drill it into you.......

I was in and eventually ran a guild in SWG that was 5 times larger than the one I have in SWTOR, and 95% of them were regular active players (pre-NGE). It was not until the NGE that I saw people leave the game. The CU was seen by most as a good update to fix some issues that it (and all MMO's) start with.

My server wasn't one of the "most popular" but it was always busy. Groups were easy to find when needed. You had choices and options that are not available in SWTOR (and I knew that was going to be the case before I signed up for Beta).

The CU/NGE was NOT the result of declining subs, the NGE caused sub decline. The NGE was the result of SOE trying to "keep up with the Jones'" and compete with WoW for the same kinds of players. WoW catered to a whole different group than pre-NGE SWG did. SWTOR cates to that WoW group now.

The sandbox game was what made SWG popular and getting rid of major aspects of it is what drove players away. It may not be every MMO gamers choice of game to play, but there is a huge market for it. It could have been much better than it was had SOE not spent so much time trying to make SWG compete with (in play style) other games.

SWTOR came to be NOT because SWG failed, it came to be because LA likeed the idea BioWare had to make an MMO based on their popular Old Republic era game. Your assertion to the contrary is just plain wrong.

Finally someone with some sense posted here, damn Biodrone defense force is trying to ruin what could be a great discussion.

Discussion? What is there is discuss?

Those that wanted to play SWG played it. It had crap for subs, which was a reflection of how unliked it was. TOR has already pretty much sold more copies than SWG did....expansions included.

I dont pay a sub to MMOs so I can work a job as a virtual Uncle Owen. +1 for TOR.

People saying SWG failed could not be more wrong, 8 years of active subs is an amazing effort.

I played only for 4 -5 years and i would be still there today if they didnt close. Dont get me wrong i really enjoy ToR but SWG had so much more in it than people think. I was an active Beast master in a guild that enjoyed my interests of Bm and crafting.

IF i was to right up a list of things to do in SWG and compare that to Tor you would be shocked.

I will admit SWG lacked in a few areas and really needed a graphics update but numbers were strong up untill they shut down the servers.

RIP SWG and if SOE ever did make SWG 2 id be there in a flash.

I wouldn't say never coming out and would never say it didn't work. SWG was a cobbled together game that miraculously worked. Before the CURB and certainly before the NGE there were TONS of players on the Radiant server.

Sandbox games do work and I think Minecraft and Second Life are prime examples. The problem is maintaining a sandbox style MMO is extremely labor intensive. SWG had the most robust crafting system and that in and of itself probably took some time to maintain.

Personally I think SWG fell flat because developers felt the game wasn't going where they wanted it. As a result they pushed the CURB which mucked things up, but it was still playable to some degree. It was the NGE that delivered the final killing blow removing the complexity of it to give way to casual gameplay.

If they were to release a SWG 2 with revamped mechanics, but keeping the 24 distinct class advancement + crafting system from the first one I would go to it in a heartbeat. The problem is as you stated Kheal most casual gamers are used to WoW. They want that solo campaign and moderate grouping experience with little raiding.

I've played WoW and in the short 5 months I played it I became disgusted with it. The only thing the game had going for it was exploration and once that was done it became stale. Made 1 main and 6 to 7 different alts leveling 3 characters to 80, and the rest to 20. It required little to no challenge to level up those characters which is depressing.

I agree with a lot of what you wrote. On the solo'ing aspect of SWG, It was possible to solo in SWG, and I did it about 33% of the time. I divided my game play into 3 groups: solo questing, group (PvP or PvE), and non-combat activities (crafting, resource gathering, etc).

In SWTOR my time is mostly spent fighting. Sometimes I take time to do companion crafting/hunting/etc while I chat with guild mates or anyone in general chat, but that just isn't as fun as those aspects of SWG.

Unless I either just get bored or life limits how much free time I have I expect I'll probably play SWTOR till I have one of each class leveled to max and most content completed at least once, then I'll un-sub. And even with casual game play give how quickly I'll have one of each class leveled I would be surprised if this time next year I have an active subscription.

Roll a new toon, experience a new story. Easy endgame boredom cure.

Do that 6 times in SWTOR and you are done (unless you like repeating daily quests or costant PvP). At laeast SWG had more "classes" to do that with, and even for power levelers it took a while to run through all the possible variations.

You grossly miss the point. There was no compelling story, thus no game.

Star Wars is about going on a grand adventure and going through life and death situations that all have a star wars feel to them, on some grand advanture, where what you do MATTERS in the Star Wars universe.

People got bored because nothing they did MATTERED in SWG. There was no lasting impact. All you can really point to is Restuss, which was a desperate attempt to change the landscape, but they didn't follow up on that.

What story are you trying to tell in SWG? the story of how long it took to decorate your house with varactyl feathers? The story of how you went to a spaceport and spammed 'LFG!" for 3 hours before logging off? The story of how long it took you to check all your harvesters for material?

Like it or not, STORY is a crucial piece to the Star Wars saga, and Bioware got this right. SWG horribly dropped the ball.

In SWG you made your own story (for the most part), and that was the best part.

As for no impact: Do you not remember planetary control or busting the bases of the other faction that they put up (to get that planetary control)? Sure they could have made that control show itself in better ways, and many of us advocated for such improvements but instead they did things like the NGE and after that constantly tried making the NGE work in a system not designed for it.

Something I am noticing is that people are comparing SWG "well after launch" (talking years here) to SWTOR "at launch" (it's only been online for tree months). It's apples and oranges. If anyone can actually remember, think about what SWG was like at launch and compare that SWG to SWTOR. Then and ONLY then will you convince me that SWG was better.

Fact of the matter is that this is the first MMO I have ever bought at launch, so I cannot do this.

I'll give you a more fair compairison.

I was in SWG Beta, and SWTOR Beta. I was in both on launch day, and on from there.

This game is 3 months old and at that age in each game:

SWG, I had one character and played it 6 to 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. (and that was after a full 8 to 10 hour work day)

SWTOR, I have multiple characters and play 3 to 4 hours a day, but not every day.

SWG, I had dozens of friends I logged in and played with every day, no matter what time of day I played.

SWTOR, I am lucky to have 3 to 4 guild mates on at any given time, and each planet I am on is lucky to have 20 players on it. And this is at "peak" play times, get on after peak ours and the game worlds are ghost towns. I have to go to the fleet to see more than 4 other players in the same place I'm at.

SWG, I have stories I repeat to this day of the early gorup adventures (multiple groups of 7 each hunting Ewoks on Endor to make them an endagerd species) and I still have contact to this day with friends I made in those early days.

SWTOR, I may as well be playing this on a console with my 13 year old son occasionally grabbing controller 2 and tag teaming some content with me.

SWG, I was telling myself "I will play this game till the day they shut the servers down."

SWTOR, I am telling myself "I'll play this game till I get one complete charater of each class, then I will un-sub and re-visit if/when new content is worth checking out.....or till a better SW game comes along".

Is SWTOR bad? No, it is what it was designed to be. And I hope that going forawrd they expand it enough to keep me interested in playing. I just happen to like what SWG was (at 3 months old) more than what SWTOR is today. I play it because I like Star Wars games, and even if SWG was still up and running I may play SWTOR just because it is set in the Old Republic era and offers some things that are different, but I would still be playing SWG (especially if it was pre-NGE SWG).

People saying SWG failed could not be more wrong, 8 years of active subs is an amazing effort.

I played only for 4 -5 years and i would be still there today if they didnt close. Dont get me wrong i really enjoy ToR but SWG had so much more in it than people think. I was an active Beast master in a guild that enjoyed my interests of Bm and crafting.

IF i was to right up a list of things to do in SWG and compare that to Tor you would be shocked.

I will admit SWG lacked in a few areas and really needed a graphics update but numbers were strong up untill they shut down the servers.

RIP SWG and if SOE ever did make SWG 2 id be there in a flash.

The game was licensed to run. That's the only reason why it stayed live it's last few years.

Do that 6 times in SWTOR and you are done (unless you like repeating daily quests or costant PvP). At laeast SWG had more "classes" to do that with, and even for power levelers it took a while to run through all the possible variations.

Last I checked all 9 professions experienced the same "Helping grandma across the street" story.