Game Update 5.4a

EricMusco

As I understand it, lots of things.

Mission names became strings of code. Cartel market prices became long negative numbers. Various places evidently "stopped working" in the game... That is according to the earlier postings.

oh damn. thats definitely fixable. iirc errors like that happens when code is in tact for the most part, but bits get moved around on accident. they probably pushed some stuff thru too fast. it only takes ONE extra bracket or ONE extra line of code to bust the thing open on a bunch of different levels. depending on where the bugged out code is, it could take a while, seeing as you have to sift through all the code and look for proper syntax LINE BY LINE. its annoying and a simple mistake...

but DAMN the people in this thread are *********** heated. its a game yall lol if you kids can code better why dont you apply at bioware austin. i promise you that they only wanted to make their players happy and keep in mind all of the good patches that had no issues. give them a break guys. seriously.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was passed out earlier before the servers went back down. What happened and what all was so wrong to make the servers go down? Anyone who had been online to witness the problems, it would be nice to know what they were.

I also have not run my updater, and I wont until this is all resolved.

Some people patched, some didn't patch. Those who did patch logged into a broken interface, across the board. Buff tray missing, mission log showing numerical values. All was broken.

Might be a memory corruption thing as well. Either way, it sounds like something that should have been caught. Ah well, at least it sounds entertaining. I wonder whether there will be any rollbacks.

I bet you it was more than a memory failure. Could've been a 6 year old hard drive finally starting its death cycle.

Honestly I'd be glad to do the testing if they want to throw a build up on the PTS and let us plug away at it. But Bioware doesn't have the foresight to do that. Nor do they apparently have the talent in house to test a production build before they push it live.

How a steaming pile a manure with all these issues could get past their QA team is just simply astonishing. What exactly is "testing" to them? Does it involve logging into the game, or just checking to see if the servers will fire up?

This emergency patch wasn't even necessary. There wasn't anything so broken that it couldn't wait for a standard patch cycle and proper level of testing for next week.

This was just another in a long line of examples of poor product management, shoddy coding and a complete lack of testing. In short, a poor product. That's what happens when you have a game running in maintenance mode with a skeleton crew and no quality resources dedicated to it from the parent company. Just another nail in the SWTOR coffin. Let it die and give us a real MMO at this point.

The emergency patch was needed. You may not have needed it, but other people did need it. Some people were getting unreadable quests and among other issues. The people who were affected more than likely are the ones whom had a patch.

Edited by Mdgshorty

well they have keeped us up dated so they are doing their job

I guess they did their job.

So they delayed a patch 2 days to get rid of bugs. Released it buggy.

Tried to put a quickly threw together patch to get rid of the bugs they introduced in that patch for the SH and CXP but couldn't actually do it so they had to settle for a half way fixed the bugs patch (even if it was to gamers advantage in some areas).

BUT in their zeal to jump on that SH bug, didn't do proper testing and broke the game so bad they had to take the servers down.

I guess technically they did their job. Didn't do a good job but if we're talking semantics they did a job.

oh damn. thats definitely fixable. iirc errors like that happens when code is in tact for the most part, but bits get moved around on accident. they probably pushed some stuff thru too fast. it only takes ONE extra bracket or ONE extra line of code to bust the thing open on a bunch of different levels. depending on where the bugged out code is, it could take a while, seeing as you have to sift through all the code and look for proper syntax LINE BY LINE. its annoying and a simple mistake...

but DAMN the people in this thread are *********** heated. its a game yall lol if you kids can code better why dont you apply at bioware austin. i promise you that they only wanted to make their players happy and keep in mind all of the good patches that had no issues. give them a break guys. seriously.

I will disagree with the part about wanting to make players happy. The overwhelming theme in game and in the forums was to leave things alone in regards to the higher than planned XP/CXP. People seemed rather happy about being able to level alts and to grind for end game stuff more efficiently. Leaving that situation alone would have made more players happy and then they would have had more time to properly vet their fix patch as well.

I bet you it was more than a memory failure. Could've been a 6 year old hard drive finally starting its death cycle.

Err, no, they'll have redundant storage. Would be the first server farm I see without it otherwise. Disks die all the time, you swap them out with no hitch in operation.

Eric I am not sure if you are reading this, but what if you did something else like maybe... in game mail to all players who log in by tomorrow that will have the pet inside? Just a thought

You're pretty optimistic even assuming the servers will be up by tomorrow for people to log in. At this point I'm not willing to give them that much credit.

Like Ebenezer throwing HUNI's at the soup kitchen line just to see the chaos

this is not what happened eric was just trying to be nice and people being the greedy people they are blew it way out

of proportion. all because they werent quick enough to get the codes

I will disagree with the part about wanting to make players happy. The overwhelming theme in game and in the forums was to leave things alone in regards to the higher than planned XP/CXP. People seemed rather happy about being able to level alts and to grind for end game stuff more efficiently. Leaving that situation alone would have made more players happy and then they would have had more time to properly vet their fix patch as well.

well yea giving everyone 54398673498607039856349863498 credits would make everyone happy too. besides the point. you know what im trying to say! they wanted to fix the game their players enjoy, and in trying to do so they made a mistake. im sure literally everyone has done the same thing in their lifetime. do you deserved to get shouted at because you had good intentions that backfired? be glad they give a **** enough to fix it and keep us on the same page.

what broke? like i get that the game was busted but specifically what was broken about it?

also, chill out homie. you think they did it on purpose dont you.

No, I don't believe they did it on purpose.They are too unprofessional to properly test it so that they could make sure this didn't happen. They are also inept, which is why this has taken so long.

This isn't the first time it has happened, poor customer service has been the trend for swtor.

Edited by rustybook

.its a game yall lol if you kids can code better why dont you apply at bioware austin. seriously.

The pay sucks and so do the hours, Job security blows you work on a project for 3 to 4 years get bounced in the normal downsize and on top of that you lose the thrill and fun of gaming for the most part. So I have heard

Edited by Kinsal

this is not what happened eric was just trying to be nice and people being the greedy people they are blew it way out

Since he deleted the post I can't tell the exact number but it was about 20 codes in 3 categories. Do the math. They were gone from one page reload to the next, and since they were one time use, the result was predictable. Don't pretend this was about "skill".

Why offer up codes to a few people when clearly this issue affect EVERY SINGLE PLAYER in the game?

And a code for a pet certainly isn't going to solve this problem. This is a recurring problem. I'd be happy if they just axed the incompetent people, hired quality developers and testers and did their jobs right.

If this kept happening to my development organization you could damn well be sure there would be people looking for jobs afterward.

No, I don't believe they did it on purpose.They are too unprofessional to properly test it so that they could make sure this didn't happen. They are also inept, which is why this has taken so long.

This isn't the first time it has happened, poor customer service has been the trend for swtor.

why play if you hate the company so much? jesus dude youre like that kid who bites his nails till they bleed then cries about it. if you dont like it then stop. its simple. wow just had a major content patch go play that

why play if you hate the company so much? jesus dude youre like that kid who bites his nails till they bleed then cries about it. if you dont like it then stop. its simple. wow just had a major content patch go play that

And heres proof of someone who hasnt been around long enough to endure this kind of bullhonky multiple times. This isnt the first time Bioware as screwed up, and it most certainly wont be the last. Stop defending Bioware and belittling people who are tired of Bioware's incompetence.

What game had a major content patch? I hope you don't consider the 20 minutes of content from the 5.4 update as "major".