Sorc healer on 8-man Operator IX HM

I was just having a hard time healing on this boss. I'm running out of energy by the purple phase (yes I use consumption, but I'm almost dead by then) , I'm not sure where to put the puddles because the tanks are constantly moving around and single heals are not that effective. On the second phase where is the best place for me to be? Everyone is scattered. What can I do to be more effective?

I was just having a hard time healing on this boss. I'm running out of energy by the purple phase (yes I use consumption, but I'm almost dead by then) , I'm not sure where to put the puddles because the tanks are constantly moving around and single heals are not that effective. On the second phase where is the best place for me to be? Everyone is scattered. What can I do to be more effective?

Depends what your group is doing, but our sage healer pretty much exclusively uses singular heals until Op 9 is active. But, make sure your group is doing the fight correctly. Are your rdps in Orange and Purple killing those regulators in an appropriate time? Are your tanks interrupting so that they aren't knocked out of your aoe heal when you put it out? It's a fight that'll drain your force, undoubtedly. Our strat in particular has a healer solo healing Orange and Yellow but it's entirely doable if you're configured correctly. If you have two healers active during those, then even better.

TL;DR, Need more info on how your group is configured/doing the fight.

Just talked to the group leader. They were not interrupting the aoe and people were taking heat. They told me to always put puddles down and not to really worry about single heals too much. There are four or more regulators by the time it gets to yellow phase. I don't know if thats bad or not though. Edited by Jesseinferno
Adding more

Just talked to the group leader. They were not interrupting the aoe and people were taking heat. They told me to always put puddles down and not to really worry about single heals too much. There are four or more regulators by the time it gets to yellow phase. I don't know if thats bad or not though.

You're configured incorrectly, the regulators in Orange need to be dead by the end of Purple.

Here're some ways to do it:

in NiM, we have DPS in the center for Blue~Purple to kill the adds (since they do an *** ton of damage).

in HM, a popular thing people did was fail purple phase (as many times as necessary) and kill all of the adds ,pick up orbs, et cetera.

Edited by Falver

that's what we were doing. skipping purple. I was orange. both tanks took blue. We got past the first phase I was just told that my healing isn't enough.

Both tanks in blue, well that sounds unreasonable as in blue you have the most time to kill the cores we always put 2 strongest dps in blue, 2 other dps in orange, heal+tank in both yellow and purple (the heals clicked)

Operator IX is a beautiful fight and a good raid leader will not use the same tactic all the time. The reason is twofold : damage output and healer composition. The mere fact that you got slack for a tactic with two tanks on blue is unreasonable. You do not use such a tactic when the group you are with is not using classes tailored for such an approach. What your raid leader should have done is the following :

Operator IX Checklist :

1. Tanks and their gear? Decent Gear or Welfare?

2. Healer combo, experience and gear? Sage/Sorc? Not an issue? Good gear? Yes, experience? Yes

3. Damage output. Good overall, a bit short from one person? Not a problem.

If the above are positive and you have the confidence you use the following tactic :

1. Blue : Melee DPS (channels) , Ranged / Melee DPS Mid

2. Orange : Tank channels, Ranged DPS mid

3. Purple : Healer Mid, Melee / Ranged DPS channels. If you wanna be even more hardcore, you put the healer to channel here and the Ranged DPS to butcher everything. Its what we do in my group.

4. Yellow : Tank channels, Healer stays mid.

(note : if none of your DPS can solo a core on the shortest phase then this tactic may be challenging at first )

This is a very efficient way to clear this boss but relies on several things : on blue healers and one tank do damage because the blue group has no dps free. One free damage dealer will swap and kill the core while you prepare orange. Another important thing to note is that if your tank does not manage cooldowns on Orange, when tanking both regulators, and you do not have enough damage in the middle, this will stress the healer. What we do, we mark one reg, ranged nukes that one, tank interrupts one and the healer interrupts the other. Clear purple or fail is your choice but yellow stays the same like orange with the change that a slinger / sniper puts a shield over the tank with the regulators while the channeling tank picks up his sphere and boss.

If your group composition is weaker than you thought at start you can go for the story mode tactic and split the regulators between the two tanks.

Blue : one tank

Purple : Second Tank.

Simple and to the point, why should you heal 10000 eHPS when the fight is all about teamwork? Of course there are exceptions when I change the tactic again and put the stress on my Sage / Scoundrel healer because I am three tiers above with the gear compared to some who barely have welfare 72.

Edited by Leafy_Bug

The fact that you think sorc single target heals are weak leads me to believe you are doing something very wrong.

This.

I Sorc Healed this through one of my Guild's first clear of HM Op IX, and my other Guild has two Sage Healers (both 8m groups). Both times, we used the tactic of having tanks in Blue and Purple, Heals in Orange and Yellow, DPS channel in all four colors, and intentionally failing Purple to clean up the Regulators from Orange.

IMO, puddles are like the worst thing to use in this fight. They're Force expensive and require the recipients to not move around much; in this fight, that's next to impossible.

My strat while Healing it was to roll Resurgence (HOT) and Innervate (small channeled) on the tanks, Dark Infusion (the big heal) when needed during Phase One. That was plenty enough (with the help of the other Healer), and I had lots of time to help DPS adds. If the DPSes health started to drop, I would either drop Resurgence or Innervate on them as they ran through the circle to reach the second core during a color, or, if I had time and the tanks were topped off, I might dash over to where they were and toss a single-target heal at them. The only time I dropped a puddle was during the Purple phase when everyone was collapsed to the center to take down the Rectifier, and I asked everyone to group up to take the Heal.

Consumption got hit periodically when the proc was up (very important!) on a fairly regular basis to keep my Force up before it dipped into critical lows.

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try to use more single heals next time. This was my first time doing the hm so I was just doing what the group leader told me to do. It makes sense that you would not use both tanks on blue phase. We had a healer and a ranged dps on orange. 2 dps on purple (we failed it), and a healer and dps on yellow. Our dps is great all 72/78. Everyone's geared. So I shouldn't really worry about my parsec score? I was doing about 500k heals while the operative was doing like 1m.

Advice for 2nd Phase

After each Color Deletion Protocol/Disinfection shout to your DPS, Healers and offtank to stack up in middle (right under boss) and put up your AoE heal there, once Black Obtuse starts everyone spreads out to take their circles and stays spread out until next Color Deletion Protocol/Disinfection and then repeat. We thought of this tactic while doing Terror from Beyond Nightmare on 16man, at that stage Black Obtuse made you take something like 35k damage in total, which would kill most DPS and healers unless they were topped up before. 2nd Phase is all about surviving and less about DPS so if you can do this successfully all your players will survive in the end and the 2nd phase will be really easy.

So I shouldn't really worry about my parsec score? I was doing about 500k heals while the operative was doing like 1m.

Without knowing exactly how the fight went down, my guess that a large cause of the discrepancy was the overuse of puddles during Phase 1 and the fact you were out of Force so quickly.

I wouldn't worry about your Parsec info. Worry about adjusting your strategy and see what kind of results you get.

Edited by AlixMV

So I shouldn't really worry about my parsec score? I was doing about 500k heals while the operative was doing like 1m.

As a healer, the most important thing is to keep everyone alive, not your HPS. That's no way to measure the effectiveness of a healer. Especially for a Sorc- in a Sorc's case, their best assets are their barriers and HoT that increases armour (best used on tanks), which do little to no heals, and THEN their AoE. AoE heal is only good for when there is raid-wide damage and the group is stacked.

The Operative will do better in the first phase (maybe the overall fight) since everyone is moving around so much. Their AoE heal sticks to people, so they can move while being healed still.

As others have said, focus on single target heals first phase, tell the raid where to stand for AoE puddle in second phase. GL :)

Parsec and Sorc/Sage healing...

Not a valid way to judge unless you also take into account the number of Bubbles your putting up. Depending on your gear each of those absorbs from high 5800 to 6500 ish worth of damage. (there's a formula if you look for it) Its right up there with your Dark Infusion. The issue is that it's not a heal so it doesn't count for parsec.

So if your tossing Bubbles on your tanks when they're getting battered or on low DPS to buy time for the Operative's HoTs to heal them up. You are effectively healing but Parsec doesn't count it.

Trying to push your EHPS to match an Operative isn't what your looking to do. Maximizing your abilities to make sure the Ops group doesn't wipe is what your looking to do.

Mallo

Its also worthwhile to talk to the other healer and see how hes healing.

If he's rolling hots on all 8 players, he has limited global cooldowns for other heals, that means he's relying on you to mop up any damage spikes.

I personally hate ops that heal like that, its completely unnecessary.

If he's a good op though, he'll have you as one of the people he's running his hots on, which means you can consumption much more freely.

And as has been stated above, puddles are worthless unless they're hitting the majority of the raid. You have a couple options when raiding, yell at people to stack in the puddles (not possible on operator), or not use them as they're terribly inefficient when hitting only a couple of people.

Be aware of using too many bubbles, you still need to heal up that health eventually, and bubbles cost more than other heals, so it'll damage your force. Use them in emergencies to save lives only.

Edited by Red_rocks