Are Mercs better rDps than snipers?

alphion

In raw numbers? Snipers are slightly better atm with both specs, Virulence and Eng., when comparing with Merc IO. Merc Arsenal is way below in numbers, but still viable for most fights.

But it all depends on the player's skills (duh!) and what boss you will be facing, spec you are playing etc.

For PVP tho, they are both pretty decent, maybe sniper being a little better in some scenarios. But even more than PVE, it really depends on the player skills and experience with the class. With the same skill level players playing against each other I would say they are pretty much alike.

Edited by azamba

Sniper and mara "should" be top dps in the game, as they are the only true damage classes in the game. Other classes can off tank or off heal, so bring something extra to raids. Mara and sniper cn only bring dps so should be top at it.

(Yeah mara have offensive buff and sniper has shield but in the grand scheme of things they are there to dps and can do nothing else

Sniper and mara "should" be top dps in the game, as they are the only true damage classes in the game. Other classes can off tank or off heal, so bring something extra to raids. Mara and sniper cn only bring dps so should be top at it.

(Yeah mara have offensive buff and sniper has shield but in the grand scheme of things they are there to dps and can do nothing else

Amen.

Except that isn't how BW or most MMO companies balance stuff. BW is choosing to have all DPS within a certain % of a target number. They are not taking into consideration (and they shouldn't) what other specs each class has. If I'm playing a DPS merc, I don't feel I should be lower DPS just because I have an option to heal. I may not want to heal. Keep in mind, my main is a sniper, and I still don't agree Classes that only have the option to DPS and nothing else should have higher dps, the simple truth is they shouldn't.

Except that isn't how BW or most MMO companies balance stuff. BW is choosing to have all DPS within a certain % of a target number. They are not taking into consideration (and they shouldn't) what other specs each class has. If I'm playing a DPS merc, I don't feel I should be lower DPS just because I have an option to heal. I may not want to heal. Keep in mind, my main is a sniper, and I still don't agree Classes that only have the option to DPS and nothing else should have higher dps, the simple truth is they shouldn't.

Technically they should seeing as your mentality is what lead the decision to gut those classes of everything unique that they brought to a raid/party

By a normal demograph, dps should never be the intended factor of what makes a dps class 'better'. It's value

But everything that marauders and snipers had that held them in merit; was taken from the class and either nerfed or phazed out of the game completely. Or was widespread so the function become common place thus lowering the merit it holds and value.

Are mercs better than snipers? No

Should they be? No

Should the inverse then be true? No

How should it be?

I feel; merc SHOULD be better dps than snipers. BUT; Sniper's should have higher value than mercs, that are conducive to dps

Fact of the matter is you cannot multi-task in this game, you can't off-heal as a merc, and have good dps. That doesn't make any sense, so from the get-go, you're committing to a style, albeit dps.

Push comes to shove, a situation occurs where a combat res is necessary, or desperation heals.

A merc shouldn't even flinch of hesistate to do so, because it's part of their class demograph, whereas a sniper, doesn't even have the option available. Sniper's should be able to comfortably boast higher utility that lends itself to dealing damage, or having quasi-support functions, that allow their team mates to gain opportunistic damage, simply put, your presence, is not just dealing damage, but boosting everyone elses damage also, due to the tools and utilities you bring as a dps only class.

In other words, the stuff a high performing sniper brings to a party, makes the merc's dps significantly better, than if he wasn't in the party.

Thus allowing you unique ways to accomplish your objective, AS A TEAM; BECAUSE YOU ARE A TEAM

Unfortunately, Rambo Syndrome exists, and 90% of intended things will never occur because the majority of players are affected by said syndrome, and they're delusional to think only them-self and their decisions matter.

It's not a utopia, but it's not a dystopia either.

Edited by Bonzenaattori

Technically they should seeing as your mentality is what lead the decision to gut those classes of everything unique that they brought to a raid/party

By a normal demograph, dps should never be the intended factor of what makes a dps class 'better'. It's value

But everything that marauders and snipers had that held them in merit; was taken from the class and either nerfed or phazed out of the game completely. Or was widespread so the function become common place thus lowering the merit it holds and value.

Are mercs better than snipers? No

Should they be? No

Should the inverse then be true? No

How should it be?

I feel; merc SHOULD be better dps than snipers. BUT; Sniper's should have higher value than mercs, that are conducive to dps

Fact of the matter is you cannot multi-task in this game, you can't off-heal as a merc, and have good dps. That doesn't make any sense, so from the get-go, you're committing to a style, albeit dps.

Push comes to shove, a situation occurs where a combat res is necessary, or desperation heals.

A merc shouldn't even flinch of hesistate to do so, because it's part of their class demograph, whereas a sniper, doesn't even have the option available. Sniper's should be able to comfortably boast higher utility that lends itself to dealing damage, or having quasi-support functions, that allow their team mates to gain opportunistic damage, simply put, your presence, is not just dealing damage, but boosting everyone elses damage also, due to the tools and utilities you bring as a dps only class.

In other words, the stuff a high performing sniper brings to a party, makes the merc's dps significantly better, than if he wasn't in the party.

Thus allowing you unique ways to accomplish your objective, AS A TEAM; BECAUSE YOU ARE A TEAM

Unfortunately, Rambo Syndrome exists, and 90% of intended things will never occur because the majority of players are affected by said syndrome, and they're delusional to think only them-self and their decisions matter.

It's not a utopia, but it's not a dystopia either.

you didn't understand what I said however. I never said don't ever use a offheal if needed as a DPS merc, however don't lower merc DPS just because they have an offspec of heals. what they were attempting to say is that because Mara, and Sniper only can DPS (they can't tank, or heal as a spec) both classes should have more DPS then every class that can do one of the other roles, or even if they had an offheal/battle res. This is nonsense to believe that. Now as for your later comments about everything Mara's, and snipers had making them desirable for Operations groups being nerfed, that is nonsense. Both classes have utility that are very desirable in all Operation groups. The Mara's have the raid damage buff (very useful in every Ops boss), as well as the Group run speed buff (both of these skills are UNIQUE). The Snipers haven't had the Ballistic shield nerfed at all for PvE bosses (also a UNIQUE CLASS ABILITY). Only the heal got nerfed from that, and nobody brought a sniper in for the self heal utility from that ability, they wanted the shield to help Mitigate damage to the Ops group.

Class utility that may help with reducing the amount of damage, or helping with mechanics is just as important in choosing a class for a raid team as the DPS that a class can purely put out is. having a class with solid DPS, and utility is always a great choice, and out of the 3 classes i've seen in this post Mara's, Sniper's, and Merc's all have solid damage and utilities for any Ops team.

Edited by Toraak

Utility like sniper shield? One of the most sought after abilities in raiding? Maras also bring some utility as well in the form of predation and bloodthirst.

you didn't understand what I said however. I never said don't ever use a offheal if needed as a DPS merc, however don't lower merc DPS just because they have an offspec of heals. what they were attempting to say is that because Mara, and Sniper only can DPS (they can't tank, or heal as a spec) both classes should have more DPS then every class that can do one of the other roles, or even if they had an offheal/battle res. This is nonsense to believe that. Now as for your later comments about everything Mara's, and snipers had making them desirable for Operations groups being nerfed, that is nonsense. Both classes have utility that are very desirable in all Operation groups. The Mara's have the raid damage buff (very useful in every Ops boss), as well as the Group run speed buff (both of these skills are UNIQUE). The Snipers haven't had the Ballistic shield nerfed at all for PvE bosses (also a UNIQUE CLASS ABILITY). Only the heal got nerfed from that, and nobody brought a sniper in for the self heal utility from that ability, they wanted the shield to help Mitigate damage to the Ops group.

Class utility that may help with reducing the amount of damage, or helping with mechanics is just as important in choosing a class for a raid team as the DPS that a class can purely put out is. having a class with solid DPS, and utility is always a great choice, and out of the 3 classes i've seen in this post Mara's, Sniper's, and Merc's all have solid damage and utilities for any Ops team.

i play merc as main for 6 years and u cant expect to have the same dps with other utilities available better defensive cooldowns heavy armoured off heals combat rez and crowd control skill if u want to play pure DPS class go mara or sniper merc is dps with group support skills BW did say 2-3 years back that any class that can with this sort of skills won't be better than pure DPS class