Planetary Codex: Korriban

StarSquirrel

So while others (Aurbere, Wolf) are doing people, events, powers, organizations, and machines I though "where is the love for the planets?" After all, what would Star Wars be without ice planets, city planets, desert planets, and the like?

So I've decided to put my knowledge to use giving people an overview of each planet's rich history and a brief description of it. I like to use Wookieepedia and I recommend reading their articles for more depth, though I supplement this with a lot of books from my personal collection as well as other internet sources, so I'll also mention things you likely wont find on Wookieepedia. I hope you all enjoy!

Korriban has a very comprehensive and lengthy history, so future profiles will likely be shorter. I'm open to suggestions for future planets to profile. Just post your requests. Next one will likely be Tython. If you have suggestions for a category to include (like more detail on who inhabited the planet ect...) request it and I'll see if I can do better!

Planetary Codex: Korriban

Moons: 7

Grid coordinates: R-5

Rotation period: 28 standard hours

Orbital period: 780 local days

Native Species: Sith

Primary Affiliations: Infinite Empire / Xim's Empire / Various Sith Empires / Galactic Empire / One Sith

Population (highest): 9.6 billion (Ancient Sith Empire)

Cities: Dreshdae (capital)

Description: Dusty, much like a cold desert. Very little rain, or water of any kind on the surface. The main features are canyons and dry riverbeds. The Sith also constructed massive temples, statues, and tombs across the planet. It is believed by some that every Dark Lord of the Sith has had a tomb built for him on Korriban. At some point in its ancient history to at least the time of Dark Jedi's arrival, Korriban may have been home to some forests and rivers of unknown size and spread. (This last part is my opinion based primarily on this, this, and this that all hint at some form of green vegetation.)

Locations:

Valley of the Dark Lords

The Valley of the Dark Lords was originally built as a burial grounds for the Sith species's deceased rulers. As the Dark Jedi took on the title Lords of the Sith, they too built tombs and statues to themselves here. Over time many prominent Sith Lords had been burried here, including Marka Ragnos, Tulak Horde, Ajunta Pall, and Darth Krayt to name a few. Even Darth Vader and Naga Sadow had tombs built to them here, though they died without ever being buried within them. It was also within the Shyrack caves of the valley that Ludo Kressh and Naga Sadow battled for the position of Dark Lord of the Sith during the funeral of Marka Ragnos. The returned Sith Empire rebuilt its academy within the Great Temple in the Valley of the Dark Lords.

Valley of Golg

The Valloey of Golg is another massive feat of engineering that also served as a monument to the dead. Most notably the Sith King Dathka Graush, was buried here. He commanded an army of undead soldiers thanks to a Sith spell. Even thousands of years later, the same undead still rise to protect his burial place.

Scroll to bottom for my thoughts on this planet.

History

Pre-Republic Era

On Korriban, the Sith as both a species and as a dark side organization originated. In its early history, both the ancient Killiks and the Rakata suffered defeats at the hands of the Sith when they attempted to conquer the planet. For a brief time Korriban was also a planet of Xim's empire and obtained the second name Pesegam.

Probably the greatest leader of the ancient Sith was King Adas. It was Adas who lead his people to drive the Rakata's Infinate Empire off Korriban. After Adas died fighing the Rakata, some Sith used captured Rakata technology and ships to leave Korriban and colonize worlds like Ziost which would become the capital of the Sith during and after Adas.

Old Republic Era

Under the command of Ajunta Pall and the direction of Sorzus Syn, the Dark Jedi exiled at the end of the Hundred-Year Darkness, breached the Stygian Caldera and found Korriban. Ajunta Pall killed the current leader and declared himself king. The Sith Empire and the Sith as a Dark Side organization were born there on Korriban.

While Ziost had taken Korriban's place as the capital of the Sith Empire, it remained a massive nexus of Dark Side energy. Sorzus Syn, a powerful sorcerer among the Dark Jedi that landed on Korriban after the exile, remarked,

"the very dust appears to generate Force energy."

She would spend years and many dozens of slaves lives entering the tombs of ancient Sith kings and learning their secrets. She would also say of Korriban,

"Korriban, which is a planet of nothing but tombs... I could sense they [the tombs] were ripe with plunder."

Gav and Jori Daragon discovered Korriban in around 5,000 BBY. Their arrival aided Naga Sadow in solidifying his claim to leadership of the Sith Empire. He triggered the Great Hyperspace war and, when the Sith eventually lost on and above Korriban itself, the Republic committed genocide of the Sith species.

Dark Jedi survivors of Kun's faction resettled the planet around 3,993 BBY.

Both future Dark Lords Revan and Malak visited Korriban in their search for the Star Forge. During their time, many Sith factions existed on Korriban, however none would see the power, influence, or success of the true Sith Empire that had fled Korriban after the Great Hyperspace War.

At the beginning of the Great Galactic War, the Republic had an entire fleet guarding Korriban. As the resurgent Sith Empire began its campaign to return to the known galaxy, the republic pulled forces away from Korriban. The Sith seized the opportunity and quickly reclaimed their ancient homeworld.

During the time of the Great Galactic War and the Cold War that followed, Korriban would become home to the primary Sith Academy and the Dark Council's primary meeting chambers.

(It is interesting to note that Sith Emperor Vitiate himself only ever visited the world once, briefly, in order to rally the surviving Sith to flee with him to Dromund Kaas.)

Darth Ruin's New Sith Empire and its later successor the Brotherhood of Darkness both took and held control of Korriban. The Brotherhood even had an academy on Korriban and the man who would be their eventual downfall, Darth Bane, studied on the planet as well.

Rise of the Empire Era

Control of Korriban was back and forth throughout the Clone Wars with Quinlan Vos, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Eeth Koth each visiting for very different reasons.

In the time of the Galactic Empire, Palpatine visited Korriban several times. In his personal annotations of Sorzus Syn's journal, Palpatine says,

"Korriban has lost potency over the past 7,000 years but it still whispers of dark secrets."

This hints at the weakening of the Dark Side upon Korriban in the absence of the Sith. Even so, he was still wounded by the spirits of the dead Sith Lords he'd disturbed in his search for greater power during one of his first visits.

New Republic Era

In the time of the New Republic there was an attempt to resurrect Marka Ragnos. Luke Skywalker, Kyle Katarn, Jaden Korr, and Rosh Penin stopped the Disciples of Ragnos.

New Jedi Order/Legacy Eras

Korriban would remain relatively quiet for many years and was untouched by the Vong in their campaign for galactic conquest. During the Vong war (30 ABY ~ 124 ABY) and later, Darth Krayt and his One Sith would use Korriban as a base. They remained there in hiding until their eventual rise to power under Krayt. Darth Krayt would later revisit the planet seeking aide from dead Sith Lords. After he was killed, his body was taken to Korriban. When his empire fell soon thereafter, the Sith Troopers on Korriban went insane and began to kill everything and everyone. The Sith that could, fled.

My thoughts: Well, certainly an interesting and impressive planet. I would have loved to have seen it in the time of King Adas or Sorzus Syn. The Sith at (what I consider) their prime as a species with 9.6 billion strong (on Korriban) and monuments greater than anything humanity has ever done on Earth. If we ever get more stories of those times, I'd read every one I could get my hands on. I'd also like to point out, I learned a lot researching Korriban for this thread. A few things, I never knew it was once allied with Xim the Despot or that it was inhabited by Killiks at one point.

Edited by StarSquirrel

I am truly fascinated by Korriban it is by far my favourite world in the universe, it has such an amazing history and background, the fortresses and temples you can imagine that were there before the Ludo Kressh-Naga Sadow war destroyed much of it, I honestly hope dearly we see some kind of mirror to the Dawn of the Jedi that goes into great detail about the Sith as a species and later on as a force sect on Korriban, the arrival of the Dark Jedi and the Golden Age of the SIth. Edited by LadyKulvax

I find it interesting that Soa was the King of Korriban. The only logical explanation for this is that the Rakata took Korriban after Adas died.

How about that Soa taught the Sith how to use their tech and Adas used this to vote them off the island. That (or something to do with the Sith) might have gotten him locked up.

The Rakata where actually peaceful when they first met the Sith and landed on Korriban. They kinda took over culturally (or tried to, probably Soa's reign) while moving in militarily. Adas soon noticed and learned their tech before wielding his axes against them.

At least that is my estimation of roughly what happened.

How about that Soa taught the Sith how to use their tech and Adas used this to vote them off the island. That (or something to do with the Sith) might have gotten him locked up.

The Rakata where actually peaceful when they first met the Sith and landed on Korriban. They kinda took over culturally (or tried to, probably Soa's reign) while moving in militarily. Adas soon noticed and learned their tech before wielding his axes against them.

At least that is my estimation of roughly what happened.

Well the Sith were pretty much lost after Adas died, so I assume that's when the Rakata moved in. I mean, the Infinite Empire was vast. I doubt the Sith capturing a few planets really hurt them. And the loss of their King and the subsequent infighting would make for an easy takeover by Soa.

On a side-note. Isn't the same person who voices Soa the person who voices Megatron in the recent Transformers games?

Well the Sith were pretty much lost after Adas died, so I assume that's when the Rakata moved in. I mean, the Infinite Empire was vast. I doubt the Sith capturing a few planets really hurt them. And the loss of their King and the subsequent infighting would make for an easy takeover by Soa.

Actually, it was a major point in the Book of Sith (journals of Sorzus Syn) that when (a 300 year old) Adas beat off the Rakata, that event started the Ancient Sith Empire. from there they weren't bothered again. The Sith actually beat the Rakata so badly that by the end they had control of their ships and some of their tech and that allowed them to expand and create Sith Space.

I imagine if the Rakata had returned in force there would have been genocide and enslaving not an expanded Sith rule across a swath of space.

Edited by StarSquirrel

Actually, it was a major point in the Book of Sith (journals of Sorzus Syn) that when (a 300 year old) Adas beat off the Rakata, that event started the Ancient Sith Empire. from there they weren't bothered again. The Sith actually beat the Rakata so badly that by the end they had control of their ships and some of their tech and that allowed them to expand and create Sith Space.

I imagine if the Rakata had returned in force there would have been genocide and enslaving not an expanded Sith rule across a swath of space.

It is implied that right after this is when the Rakata become victims of that plague.

I see. Well, I haven't read Book of Sith (intend to get it soon), so thanks for the info.

I've been busy with Beni's Kaggath recently but I haven't forgotten this project. I intend to have Tython done by Tuesday or Thursday.

Also I'd appreciate requests for future planets to do (feel free to post suggestions here). If I don't get any I might continue with some of the ancient Jedi and Sith worlds.