Huttball Queue fix idea - leave every HB pop

Totemdancer

So if BioWare won’t fix the pop to reduce how many HB matches we all get, then maybe we should fix it ourselves.

If everyone just leaves everytime a HB match pops, then BioWare will get a big blip on their data and maybe pay attention to the problem of too many HB pops.

What do you guys think?

FYI, I have always loved the original and Quesh maps, but Huttball maps pop 3 times more than any other map and it’s too much.

I logged in yesterday morning, and I got this series of maps - no joke.

HB original

HB original

HB quesh

NC

AHG

HB Vandin

HB original

Arena

HB quesh

HB quesh

Surprisingly, in almost all of the HB games there were enough people on each team actually *playing* HB to make them worthwhile; even the Vandin one! :eek: But still, I was getting really tired of HB. I quit the game entirely for a while after that last Quesh, but that probably doesn't blip on Bioware's data at all. :(

You know, I remember some posts in the past by some of us (including me) that we could play HB over and over all day long! I guess, for myself at least, lesson learned. :o

You know, I remember some posts in the past by some of us (including me) that we could play HB over and over all day long! I guess, for myself at least, lesson learned. :o

LoL. I could probably play original HB all day, but not Quesh and definitely not Vandin. Sadly, original HB seems to pop the least for me.

I quit 90% of Vandin matches

some of us actually like HB.

People quitting over and over makes any WZ not much fun, especially quitters who disappear after the first points are on the board.

Really? So 15 other people's enjoyment is supposed to be ruined by 1 person's dislike of a certain map?

TBH you only get what pops because there are so few people in the queue. If there were several 100s at a time, you could rank your faves and least-faves, and get more of what you like.

Since BioWare don't like retaining or attracting people, it's down to the rest of us to try and fly the flag and recruit people.

Sad, but true.

I think they should let us choose if we want HBs to pop or not. I know there are issues with allowing players to choose exactly what WZs they want, but it would make sense for HBs only. I love HB, but I leave them immediately nowadays. I have zero fun playing HB in the middle of a deathmatch.

So allowing people to remove HBs from their queue would help both parties. Deathmatchers can DM in the warzones where it isn't quite as stupid and nonbeneficial, and objective players can play a HB where everyone involved chose to be there and hopefully wants to actually play HB. At this point, I would think even HB enthusiasts would settle for less, but better, HBs.

Edited by AndriusAjax

I'd like to move to your universe. Here, where I live, Huttball is not an all too frequent experience. An evening not too long ago I think I only had 1 huttball match out of, I don't know.. 6 or 7 games.

I get that you can be mad about lag, but there is nothing wrong with the design of Huttball.

People quitting over and over makes any WZ not much fun, especially quitters who disappear after the first points are on the board.

Really? So 15 other people's enjoyment is supposed to be ruined by 1 person's dislike of a certain map?

TBH you only get what pops because there are so few people in the queue. If there were several 100s at a time, you could rank your faves and least-faves, and get more of what you like.

Since BioWare don't like retaining or attracting people, it's down to the rest of us to try and fly the flag and recruit people.

Sad, but true.

What this guy said. I hate Odessen Proving Grounds. Unlike Huttball, this design is stupid. Everything from the random nature of the spawn points to the way you actually cap and hold them. Even if I try my damndest to play for the objectives in that WZ, I always feel so powerless to make a change. But that doesn't mean I quit the WZ whenever I get it.

This really illustrates the real problem. Many people like myself will leave a buttball almost immediately, but on occasion may give the warzone a short leash - until first or 2nd goal, because with a smart team on rare occasion a buttball can be a little fun. Whereas my favorite war type is Odessen Proving Grounds. Some people hate that wartype and do the same thing.

So whats the problem? The problem isn't the leaver, the problem is that we cannot choose which wartypes to queue for. We need that choice for more than just one reason. Some people simply hate a wartype and will never play it. In other cases you may only want certain wartypes if you are queueing with a specific class. Maybe you do not want to play a healer in odessen, or not play a stealthy in a different watype etc.

Really, I see only 1 downside to this idea, but it isn't really a downside if the issue is fixed. What I mean is, snipers favoring Odessen simply because they know they can NOT be stopped when they want to try to cancel a node (unless all the stars in the universe line up just right).

I think what's worst is that this DM mentality people have in huttball leaks into other warzones.

Yesterday me and my mediocre pre-made won every match because the other premade we kept getting, while possibly better skilled, had zero interest in playing objectives. It was the same people over and over.

They would sit in acid pits healing themselves with zero interest in playing huttball.

In Yavin Ruins they would kill and leave nodes empty. Just 7vXing anything they could.

In ancient hypergate, six or seven of them just stayed in mid while we took the nodes over and over. We won 600-0. They just sat in mid and beat up on the 2 or 3 people who decided to go inside. I'm pretty sure that team of seven felt amazingly Invincible beating up on three people.... which is why it's so curious why Deathmatchers feel good about themselves when they're only death matching half of the other team. The other half is winning the game.

And sure, there is a chicken-and-egg debate as to whether the DM mentality comes from huttball, but I feel like HB popping so much sets the nightly tone for objective-ignoring premades. They made all of our wins less enjoyable last night. And what's truly funny is that in the Huttball, after we were up 5-0, we all started death matching in the middle and we wiped them clean. They weren't even good. They're just deathmatching bc it creates a numbers advantage that helps their ego

Edited by AndriusAjax

Some of you have taken my OP the wrong way.

I actually like Huttball (not Vandin so much). Huttball has always been one of my favourite maps.

My gripe is that we now have 3 maps and Huttball pops too much. If there was only 1 Huttball map we would get the same amount of Huttball pops as we do other maps. But because there are 3 maps we get 3 times more Huttball maps than any other.

We (the community) have asked BioWare multiple times to fix this and they are ignoring us (as usual). Which means we have to take matters into our own hands if we want them to pay attention. It’s a form of protest and nothing more.

You can be damn sure if their stats started to show them all Huttball maps finished in the first 30 secs due to lack of players, they would pay attention.

We don’t even need to do this for long. Maybe 1-3 weeks till it gets on their radar,

I personally don’t want them to remove Huttball and I’m not asking for map choices. All I want is for all Huttball maps to be counted as 1 Huttball pop and then the system chooses which Huttball map to pop. That way we don’t get Vandin, original, Quesh Ball all in a row and then possibly Vandin and another Huttball map. It treats them as one map.

Look at it this way. If the only map that popped was Yavin and occasionally civil war, we’d all be screaming for BioWare to change it so it didn’t pop as much. We just want it to stop popping Huttball matches so much.

If you only have a limited amount of time to play each day to get your dailies done and all you ever get is Huttball maps, it makes pvp less appealing and boring. Not to mention frustrating when people stop trying to play Huttball to win because they are so sick of it popping.

If we could get everyone to agree to leave every Huttball match for 1-3 weeks so they all finished in 30sec, BioWare would see it. Then they could fix it and we can go back to playing Huttball when it pops.

I could play HB “all day” if not for the performance issues. The Vandin map is a design failure because the design encourages you to skip the map (run pit, camp endzone), but let’s face it, pretty much every map released since Novare has been really bad, so it’s on par. But the competitive aspect of the HB maps is crushed by desync.

Since it’s quite clear they can’t/won’t fix it, they should at least reduce its pop rate. I think the main reason they don’t do this is that they make all their decisions based on the assumption that their content working and well liked. They know this to be completely false but will not openly admit failure.

I think the main reason they don’t do this is that they make all their decisions based on the assumption that their content working and well liked. They know this to be completely false but will not openly admit failure.

Yeah. If they funnel you into the map 75% of the time, it seems that indicates to some idiot up top that people are playing the new map 75% more than the others. I'd say the quality control officer is incompetent or doesn't give a **** how these numbers are found, just as long as they are found is all that matters.

Edited by Lhancelot

I could play HB “all day” if not for the performance issues. The Vandin map is a design failure because the design encourages you to skip the map (run pit, camp endzone), but let’s face it, pretty much every map released since Novare has been really bad, so it’s on par. But the competitive aspect of the HB maps is crushed by desync.

The pace of the game has sped up but the engine isn't capable of catching up. Things like Flamethrower being instant cast rather than channeled is one of many signs that the pacing is not what it used to be. I'm kind of hoping for an ability pruning, like they did in WoW. But I also worry that, should such a day come, they'd remove exactly the wrong abilities.

I've hated Exfiltrate ever since the day it was introduced. It's a clunky, unsatisfying and silly-looking ability that ruined everything that made Operatives cool. But that's not why it's so bad. It's the main culprit when it comes to desync. It should be removed. As should all the abilities that do not work properly; Mad Dash, Holotraverse, Shadow Stride... if the engine can't handle them they shouldn't be put in.

... bit of an odd rant, I'm sorry. :p

Edited by Majspuffen

The pace of the game has sped up but the engine isn't capable of catching up. Things like Flamethrower being instant cast rather than channeled is one of many signs that the pacing is not what it used to be. I'm kind of hoping for an ability pruning, like they did in WoW. But I also worry that, should such a day come, they'd remove exactly the wrong abilities.

I've hated Exfiltrate ever since the day it was introduced. It's a clunky, unsatisfying and silly-looking ability that ruined everything that made Operatives cool. But that's not why it's so bad. It's the main culprit when it comes to desync. It should be removed. As should all the abilities that do not work properly; Mad Dash, Holotraverse, Shadow Stride... if the engine can't handle them they shouldn't be put in.

... bit of an odd rant, I'm sorry. :p

One of my biggest gripes over time was how they kept adding more and more movement enhancement abilities, then to counter those they added more CC, which in turn then caused them to add even more CC-immunities. Basically the classes with the best movement enhancements/CC immunities do best in PVP.

It's just really ridiculous now where they have gone in this regard... Pruning would be great, I really believe taking away some of speed boosts, CC, CC-immunities, etc. would only make PVP more dynamic. It's just bloated with this crap now, and the meta has been this way for 3+ years now.

The irony is the more of this stuff they have introduced to add fun to the game has caused gameplay to regress because the engine simply can't manage all the movements especially the portals going up/down platforms which obviously makes the game less fun.

On top of that, it's not fun for me countering a counter to my CC and then using speed boost abilities to counter a CC that was then countered by their speed boost etc. It's like a war of movement counters. CC abilities ought to be less used and special, not available as often as regular attacks.

One of my biggest gripes over time was how they kept adding more and more movement enhancement abilities, then to counter those they added more CC, which in turn then caused them to add even more CC-immunities. Basically the classes with the best movement enhancements/CC immunities do best in PVP.

It's just really ridiculous now where they have gone in this regard... Pruning would be great, I really believe taking away some of speed boosts, CC, CC-immunities, etc. would only make PVP more dynamic. It's just bloated with this crap now, and the meta has been this way for 3+ years now.

The irony is the more of this stuff they have introduced to add fun to the game has caused gameplay to regress because the engine simply can't manage all the movements especially the portals going up/down platforms which obviously makes the game less fun.

On top of that, it's not fun for me countering a counter to my CC and then using speed boost abilities to counter a CC that was then countered by their speed boost etc. It's like a war of movement counters. CC abilities ought to be less used and special, not available as often as regular attacks.

100% agree. Well said, it’s exactly how I feel too.

And it’s why desync has gotten worse over the years and not better.

I can't stand hb. I don't want to play football in a video game. I wanted to pvp. I love all the other non-hb maps. Sadly I'm one of those that has the worst luck and gets hb map after hb map, after hb map. I basically just quit pvping, at least no where near the level I used to.

But, as far as leaving, if I get an urge to pvp and it's hb, I leave immediately.

I thought awhile back they were entertaining the idea of letting us check off 1 or 2 maps, but I think they realized so few play now that it would reduce the match making even more.

I don't get bw's obsession with hb. I will do 100,000 Odessen maps before I'd do 1 huttball.

I can't stand hb. I don't want to play football in a video game. I wanted to pvp. I love all the other non-hb maps. Sadly I'm one of those that has the worst luck and gets hb map after hb map, after hb map. I basically just quit pvping, at least no where near the level I used to.

But, as far as leaving, if I get an urge to pvp and it's hb, I leave immediately.

I thought awhile back they were entertaining the idea of letting us check off 1 or 2 maps, but I think they realized so few play now that it would reduce the match making even more.

I don't get bw's obsession with hb. I will do 100,000 Odessen maps before I'd do 1 huttball.

I agree, but don't normally leave matches unless its something like 3-0 in the first 90 seconds.

Other than that, I agree completely. That said, to each his own. Huttball has some crazy devoted fans, i just wish it wasnt (match) (huttball) (match) (huttball) > repeat.

I agree, but don't normally leave matches unless its something like 3-0 in the first 90 seconds.

Other than that, I agree completely. That said, to each his own. Huttball has some crazy devoted fans, i just wish it wasnt (match) (huttball) (match) (huttball) > repeat.

6 HB matches in a row is a bit much. Especially when I’m trying to train my wife how to fight in other objective pvp maps and tactics for specific classes.

She hates HB and I love it. So we end up leaving every match and then she refuses to pvp because HB is all that seems to pop for us.

I still think the only way we get BioWare to pay attention is to protest leave all matches till it pops up on their internal data. It seems they really only listen if that data corresponds with that we are asking for.

I personally don't dislike the orginal huttball map and even quesh, but the new one, it's terrible. I leave immediately. The other two, as long as they don't keep popping many times over, I'm fine with them. Quesh ball can be iritating at times with all the knockbacks. Sometimes you are at 100% health some friggen Jugg or Sniper knocks you 3 stories down and you have like 5% health left which is always fun when you are still in combat and you can't heal one point of damage on your own.

Good times =]

The original huttball match, I enjoy very much.

The new one, Vadyn or however the hell you spell that correctly, I will never play that map again. Did we really need a 3rd HB anyways? :rolleyes:

I personally don't dislike the orginal huttball map and even quesh, but the new one, it's terrible. I leave immediately. The other two, as long as they don't keep popping many times over, I'm fine with them. Quesh ball can be iritating at times with all the knockbacks. Sometimes you are at 100% health some friggen Jugg or Sniper knocks you 3 stories down and you have like 5% health left which is always fun when you are still in combat and you can't heal one point of damage on your own.

Good times =]

The original huttball match, I enjoy very much.

The new one, Vadyn or however the hell you spell that correctly, I will never play that map again. Did we really need a 3rd HB anyways? :rolleyes:

I’ve noticed push backs are much further in Vandin than the other maps. I seem to go 20% further if a sniper or Sorc push me back.