Lokin vs. Kaliyo

WhiskeyGrin

I've noticed a drop in Kaliyo's ability to mitigate damage for me since ive hit 40. Im wondering if I should start gearing up and switch to Lokin. Thing is I really want my agent to hit that when it comes to Kaliyo. Is Lokin a better companion in end game than Kaliyo?

Lokin is pretty good my sniper friend switched to him as soon as he could never looked back i never used him as i'm a healer but kalyio does seam to drop off a bit closer to 50 personaly i never leave the ship with out temple but thats just me :)

Honestly I dropped Kaliyo like a bad habit as soon as I got Vector...she's kinda hard to win affection with when I'm doing lightside options that don't involve alot of mayhem and I really didn't need a tank follower when I wasn't having any real issues stabbing things into submission. Same goes for Lokin, with heals of my own I have no use for him.

Vector and Temple have been my preferred followers since I picked them up. Temple with purple ilum barrel mods, all my old hand-me-down implants and a full centurion field tech armor set absolutely destroys anything she targets. Vector in full cent stalker gear and a purple-decked electrostaff does pretty much the same thing even if he's a bit squisher then temple.

As for needing a tank-type companion, I've been kitting SCORPIO out now that I have the funds to raise her affection and buy up mods to outfit her parts with. Its been somewhat of a ***** and incredible time consuming having to run Ilum dailies to get the purple commando mods for all of her parts...but now she's got more health then me and some pretty impressive shield/absorb stats with a super-commando shield combined with a purple techstaff I found on the market (hella rare find that was totally worth the creds for).

My present project after finishing SCORPIO is kitting Kaliyo out in a full centurion super-commando to see if she can compare as a tank, it'll be interesting to see who is the better tank companion by the time i finish with it all.

This is coming from the concealment perspective of course, don't really need outside heals or tanking when I completely destroy my target before they can even stand up from a hidden strike knockdown. Even elites are almost trivial to deal with since they can barely work me down under have health before they die.

Edited by Ticoune

I'm a medic and I used Kaliyo primarily because she's a decent tank. I'm lvl 40 on a PVE server and she's been able to basically take all damage and my heals keep up with her. Elites are no problem though it can be grind. I like Temple and Vector but I've never used Lokin for anything other than crafting.

Well, having both geared to the nines (full Rakata, and mods to where items couldn't be replaced), Lokin and Kaliyo both have very good strong points.

Lets examine what I mean:

Firstly, Dr. Lokin:

As an operative, I find healing myself a much quicker stream than relying on Lokin. However, his heals have come in handy when doing 2 Man's AKA Old Enemies/Freeing the Fallen. As well, switching him to Rakghoul isn't really that bad of an option either, I've had him tear apart Republic companions in a hurry, only to switch out, and heal me off for some damage.

However, since he isn't a stackable companion, questing solo with him isn't really as quick.

On the flip side, Kaliyo:

Who has been with us from the start and who is our resident powertech is just as beneficial. Though she may not be able to heal, her health and defense stats while in full Rakata is very phenomenal, she can tank the Field Commander Ankur of [Heroic 4] Lights Out - Like a champ, with only the odd off heal from me.

I play as a lethatlity specc'd operative and know how powerful Kaliyo's AoE taunts are with a strategically placed corrosive grenade and carbine burst, I have about 6-9 dead mobs in about 3-4 seconds.

So to make the claim one is better than the other, is really dependent on what you do more. Group or solo, and what kind etc. etc.

I prefer switching the Trinity, or Kal Temple and Lokin as I deem necessary, with them all in Rakata it's really easy to just roll with any of the 3, Temple doing the most and quickest damage, Lokin and Kaliyo bringing up the rear with Utility...

~Alex

I've found Lokin is the best for Sniper MM, he even tanks a few hits at the start on packs cause of heal aggro and then pull it off him with damage before it drops him too low. Hell even my ship droid with some reasonable parts is better then any other companion except Lokin.

Lokin is the easiest to gear while leveling too, direct hand me downs even sometimes equal gear to me all his armor is mod gear either commendation or PvP. Just have to get a modable pistol.

I've found Lokin is the best for Sniper MM, he even tanks a few hits at the start on packs cause of heal aggro and then pull it off him with damage before it drops him too low. Hell even my ship droid with some reasonable parts is better then any other companion except Lokin.

Lokin is the easiest to gear while leveling too, direct hand me downs even sometimes equal gear to me all his armor is mod gear either commendation or PvP. Just have to get a modable pistol.

you get a moddable pistol for him from Belsavis daily ... or you can have an armstech make "Rocksteady" for you :) ... yes, it's a MH cunning pistol.

on the subject... I use Scorpio & lokin when doing solo stuff as a sniper. I prefer melee tanks for doing missions.

Scorpio for non-elite mopup and lokin when I have to kill 1v1 elites.

Edited by Fallerup

A well-geared loken is a great tank just by the sheer fact that he can heal himself pretty effectively. I've let a strong beat on him while I killed other mobs and he held up just fine. Kaliyo frustrates me in that she brings so little to a fight. She doesn't tank all that well and offers nothing in terms of heals. I have enough stuns that I can get off quite a few back positionals during fights against epics when I have to. Edited by Ancient_karp