Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

Storage space and Player housing/cities... Bring back the fun of Galaxies!!!

HaloPheonix

Hi everyone,

We all know that "Galaxies" hit the nail on the head. Deleting "Galaxies" tore a hole in millions of peoples hearts. No one thinks that there will ever be a game like "Galaxies" ever again. Creating the option of player cities and allowing us to be creative and design our own house kept everyone at the computer day in ad day out. Not just playing the stories and building up a character, but building a lifestyle in the game where we could bring our friends ad guild members to. :) The following are a few positives and negatives:

Positives:

:D More community based guilds with more to control.

:D More items to buy and or play for.

:D More people wanting to play.

:D More lure for Bioware.

:D More money for Bioware.

:D Happier customers from the deletion of "Galaxies"

:D Make all the "Galaxies" players return.

:D Potentially hitting the records on all the new Star Wars fans involvement in this game.

Negatives:

:mad: Bioware has more to work on to make customers happier.

:mad: Bioware has to pay for more space for all the new content. (that's why we pay for expansions)

:mad: Customers have to pay.

:mad: Customers have to wait for the content to load.

The positives far outweigh the negatives. Creating the space on the servers for this content is possible... Other games are starting to do this. If the force will allow it, it will be done.

May the force be with you Bioware.

And again, thanks...

1. Bioware already said no to this.

2. Bioware said before they even consider this they would give a huge update to the player ships in terms of customization to make it "your home"

3. Bioware said that their developers nearly cry because there is so many quest queue and string clients woven onto the ships from quest status updating etc companion quests etc. that the coding for player ships is a huge mess. and it takes sometimes hours to add something onto it.

4. This would be a long time running to even consider to plan let alone due. You know the already clickable chairs in the ships? They admitted one of their developers "hacked" and went beyond what he was supposed to do to make those clickable to sit in. and they decided to keep it that way.

/facepalm.

Enough already! SWG is dead. If it was so great it would still be around, but it's not. Cherry picking would have been great if it started out that way, but now, it would just mess things up.

As for the future, do a search and find any one of the 305 post saying the same thing and just chime in on those.

/facepalm.

Enough already! SWG is dead. If it was so great it would still be around, but it's not. Cherry picking would have been great if it started out that way, but now, it would just mess things up.

As for the future, do a search and find any one of the 305 post saying the same thing and just chime in on those.

Obviously didn't play Galaxies.

I'll agree that this game won't ever have the features of SWG because galaxies was sandbox. But to say Galaxies wasn't great is foolish. As far as depth goes, SWG takes a fat **** on TOR.

Obviously didn't play Galaxies.

I'll agree that this game won't ever have the features of SWG because galaxies was sandbox. But to say Galaxies wasn't great is foolish. As far as depth goes, SWG takes a fat **** on TOR.

Wrong. I did play Galaxies (Tarquinas server). While I loved many things, but it is still dead. RIP. Please. Let it. If you feel that way go play the EMU of Galaxies and quit TOR. It's actually the Pre-CU/NGE. Have fun over there. I like TOR much better. As for "great", great MMOs don't just fold like that. Look at the top 5 longest running MMOs.

• Nexus: Kingdom of the Wind - 1998 top-down 2D
  • Tibia - 1997 also top-down 2D
  • Furcadia - 1996 3/4 3D similar to Balder's Gate
  • Meridian 59 - 1996 3D camera pan much like SWTOR (and my first MMO)
  • The Realm Online - 1996 2D MUD-esque that is STILL subscription only (but it's only $6.99)

All fine games that can be quantified as being great by the simple qualification: They have been running since those dates. SWG? 2003-2011 Even the most recent beats SWG by 5 years, except people are still playing that game. If it was great why did John Smedley admit to "stupid decisions" regarding Star Wars Galaxies CU and NGE? Can't be great when the man in charge admits to being stupid about the game. As time goes on we tend to forget the bad and romanticize the good. It's all a factor of getting old. "The "new music" sucks! It's just noise. We had REAL music when I was young." Every generation says the same thing.

There was PLENTY of reasons that game failed, but it did have some bright points and most of those points are NOT going to be integrated into SWTOR. The SSSP looks to be BioWare's answer to JTL. A good move.

Wrong. I did play Galaxies (Tarquinas server). While I loved many things, but it is still dead. RIP. Please. Let it. If you feel that way go play the EMU of Galaxies and quit TOR. It's actually the Pre-CU/NGE. Have fun over there. I like TOR much better. As for "great", great MMOs don't just fold like that. Look at the top 5 longest running MMOs.

• The Realm Online - 1996 2D MUD-esque that is STILL subscription only (but it's only $6.99)

All fine games that can be quantified as being great by the simple qualification: They have been running since those dates. SWG? 2003-2011 Even the most recent beats SWG by 5 years, except people are still playing that game. If it was great why did John Smedley admit to "stupid decisions" regarding Star Wars Galaxies CU and NGE? Can't be great when the man in charge admits to being stupid about the game. As time goes on we tend to forget the bad and romanticize the good. It's all a factor of getting old. "The "new music" sucks! It's just noise. We had REAL music when I was young." Every generation says the same thing.

There was PLENTY of reasons that game failed, but it did have some bright points and most of those points are NOT going to be integrated into SWTOR. The SSSP looks to be BioWare's answer to JTL. A good move.

I find the way you define great games flawed. I've never heard of ANY of the games you list as "great." If a game runs for 20 years but only has 50 people playing it...that (to me) doesn't make it great.

I played SWG from before day 1 right up until they turned off the servers. While I love and miss it, SWG and SWTOR are completely different types of games. TOR was never meant to be "SWG2" (look to The Repopulation for that - SciFi based sandbox coming out next year...hopefully---as a 'spiritual successor' as opposed to an official one).

I find the way you define great games flawed. I've never heard of ANY of the games you list as "great." If a game runs for 20 years but only has 50 people playing it...that (to me) doesn't make it great.

I played SWG from before day 1 right up until they turned off the servers. While I love and miss it, SWG and SWTOR are completely different types of games. TOR was never meant to be "SWG2" (look to The Repopulation for that - SciFi based sandbox coming out next year...hopefully---as a 'spiritual successor' as opposed to an official one).

Because YOU have not heard of them doesn't make them NOT great. There are people who have never heard of Star Wars or know that there are 6 movies (with more to come) to the title. Even more are not aware that there are 2 previous CRPGs that lead into this game in KOTOR and KOTOR II. Some of whom play this game!

Honestly, what company keeps servers up for 50 people, or a TV show running for a viewership of 50 people? It's just silly for you to even post. SWTOR wasn't meant to be SWG2? You don't say? Next thing you will tell me the sky is blue. It's the reason I chimed in on this rant. SWGalaxy-philes seem to want to make this game SWG2.

As for the rest, I'm quite aware of them and don't really care. In the future, you might want to read previous posts before chiming in. If it's TL:DR, I'd suggest TL:DR:DP.

I haven't really been part of a game where Player Housing/Cities was added as a feature that wasn't planned when the game was in development that worked "well". They always seem to be tacked on are either not part of the game world and in some weird sub dimension that only has player houses, or they are on their own little island that nobody really goes to.

The "best" add on I think was in Rifts, and in that world the houses didn't exist in the real world they were just all tied to a portal point that you selected from or typed in their name. Ok I guess, but not anything impressive.

Add on: It almost sounds like you are looking for a Second Life area with a Star Wars theme.

Edited by StarMagus

Because YOU have not heard of them doesn't make them NOT great. There are people who have never heard of Star Wars or know that there are 6 movies (with more to come) to the title. Even more are not aware that there are 2 previous CRPGs that lead into this game in KOTOR and KOTOR II. Some of whom play this game!

Honestly, what company keeps servers up for 50 people, or a TV show running for a viewership of 50 people? It's just silly for you to even post. SWTOR wasn't meant to be SWG2? You don't say? Next thing you will tell me the sky is blue. It's the reason I chimed in on this rant. SWGalaxy-philes seem to want to make this game SWG2.

As for the rest, I'm quite aware of them and don't really care. In the future, you might want to read previous posts before chiming in. If it's TL:DR, I'd suggest TL:DR:DP.

Good god man! Can you please get over yourself? I played all the games you listed as being "great". Sadly, none of them are what I would call great. (perhaps nostalgic but not great) SWG had greatness about it that got aborted with the changes (or mistakes) that were later implemented.

Games that I would call great would be Conan: AoH, Vanguard, Warhammer, and City of Heroes (after the architect update) the reason being is that these games were innovative. They pushed the envelope and gave us something new or at least improved on an existing concept.

Now when considering the definition of great; Picasso once said "good artists borrow, great artists steal" And are these games not art? Just some food for though.

I haven't really been part of a game where Player Housing/Cities was added as a feature that wasn't planned when the game was in development that worked "well". They always seem to be tacked on are either not part of the game world and in some weird sub dimension that only has player houses, or they are on their own little island that nobody really goes to.

The "best" add on I think was in Rifts, and in that world the houses didn't exist in the real world they were just all tied to a portal point that you selected from or typed in their name. Ok I guess, but not anything impressive.

Add on: It almost sounds like you are looking for a Second Life area with a Star Wars theme.

actually LOTRO added houses quite nicely after the fact. You could see the 'sub division from the rest of the game and simply accessed the area like you would an instance.

But I would not want this for SWTOR. I would like to see areas on every planet where housing was possible and those areas could be accessed by anyone who landed on the planet. Maybe even make those areas pvp zomes. Now were talking lol

And I don't care to hear from people saying 'this isn't going to happen' If we all listened to the naysayers we's likely all still be living in Europe thinking the world was flat.

Edited by Marrius

Not once did i ever compare SWG to TOR regarding which game is better. They are completely different. All i said was that SWG had far more depth. You seem to be overly offended about having these two games used in the same sentence.

"great MMOs don't just fold like that"

I'll let you in on a bit of knowledge since you seem to have left yours at home.. SWG ended after 8 years which is actually a decent life span for an MMO. Game come to an inevitable end, just like TOR will (would be very, very suprised if it gets anywhere close to 8 years.)

That being said, i enjoy both games or else i wouldn't be on the forums. But it sounds like you need to chill out because half of your rant wasn't even warranted to what i was saying.

Edited by Slicksteezin

Now when considering the definition of great; Picasso once said "good artists borrow, great artists steal" And are these games not art? Just some food for thought.

First off that was T.S. Eliot that Picasso paraphrased, and I'm just tired of these threads popping up every month or so saying the same thing as if it's new. Just put SWG in the Search box. You will get 300+ posts. I get that you loved it, I did, too. But it is dead. There is only one thing that is possible to port to this game and it's already being done with the SSSP. Plain and simple.

Also the whole phrase must be understood. First off the phrase is "Immature artists imitate, mature artists steal" Implying that you are basically a hack to imitate, to mature you must take someone's work and make it your own. Which is what BioWare did. They took what they wanted and made it their own. Some things worked. Others did not. So to throw around that phrase, make sure the subject at hand DIDN'T do that.

Not once did i ever compare SWG to TOR regarding which game is better. They are completely different. All i said was that SWG had far more depth. You seem to be overly offended about having these two games used in the same sentence.

You are correct, I never said you did either. You chimed in on a discussion I was having with someone else. A discussion that you apparently did not follow.

"great MMOs don't just fold like that"

I'll let you in on a bit of knowledge since you seem to have left yours at home.. SWG ended after 8 years which is actually a decent life span for an MMO. Game come to an inevitable end, just like TOR will (would be very, very suprised if it gets anywhere close to 8 years.)

I'll bet you a signed dollar that it will last 10.

That being said, i enjoy both games or else i wouldn't be on the forums. But it sounds like you need to chill out because half of your rant wasn't even warranted to what i was saying.
Then don't chime in on a conversation I was having with someone else if you don't want to be involved in it.

You know, that's a pretty spot on assessment.

Well I guess if I felt the need to be important I might point out and itemize your errors. But you know. I really don't care about being right or wrong. All I care about is seeing this game succeed and be more than just another online failure.

And I'll tell you this.... I would rather see 300+ posts about it rather than 1 superfluous postulation from a windbag with an over inflated sense of self worth, But that is just me.

People might be more inclined to listen to your ideas if you stopped insulting them.

Just sayin'.... :jawa_angel:

actually LOTRO added houses quite nicely after the fact. You could see the 'sub division from the rest of the game and simply accessed the area like you would an instance.

That was exactly what I was thinking of when I said...

They always seem to be tacked on are either not part of the game world and in some weird sub dimension that only has player houses, or they are on their own little island that nobody really goes to.

I don't consider that done well. :jawa_cool:

Edited by StarMagus

Well I guess if I felt the need to be important I might point out and itemize your errors. But you know. I really don't care about being right or wrong. All I care about is seeing this game succeed and be more than just another online failure.

And I'll tell you this.... I would rather see 300+ posts about it rather than 1 superfluous postulation from a windbag with an over inflated sense of self worth, But that is just me.

You know, I was going to respond to this, but this was even better:

People might be more inclined to listen to your ideas if you stopped insulting them.

Just sayin'.... :jawa_angel:

Insults just mean that you can't reply with anything cogent enough to be credible.

SWG is dead. If it was so great it would still be around, but it's not.

This is an incredibly flawed argument.

SWG still had a large player base at the time of its cancellation.

It was only cancelled because Lucas Arts declined to renew its contract, presumably since they wanted SWTOR to be the only Star Wars MMO on the market.

I am not petitioning for TOR to become SWG (though I certainly wouldn't complain)... but this is the most flawed argument I've ever seen. Developers pulling the plug prematurely because the license was yoinked to funnel players into TOR does not mean SWG was a failure on its own.

Don't forget that SWG closed and TOR opened several days apart. It isn't exactly hard to see the agenda.

Then don't chime in on a conversation I was having with someone else if you don't want to be involved in it.

You know, that's a pretty spot on assessment.

This is the forums. don't post **** if you don't expect other responses. Which you will, because it sounds like you need some correcting.

This is an incredibly flawed argument.

SWG still had a large player base at the time of its cancellation.

It was only cancelled because Lucas Arts declined to renew its contract, presumably since they wanted SWTOR to be the only Star Wars MMO on the market.

I am not petitioning for TOR to become SWG (though I certainly wouldn't complain)... but this is the most flawed argument I've ever seen. Developers pulling the plug prematurely because the license was yoinked to funnel players into TOR does not mean SWG was a failure on its own.

Don't forget that SWG closed and TOR opened several days apart. It isn't exactly hard to see the agenda.

Get your "facts" straight, Sony dropped the contract. LA was completely willing to renew, but it was Sony who declined to renew. If the people who ran it felt it was so great, why did they not renew? They felt that BioWare would trounce them and they didn't want to be locked in a contract. You can't say that the people who ran the game had so little faith in their product that they didn't want to even try.

Great? Hardly. Good, definitely. Not great. They messed up with the NGE, then further with the CE. They knew they failed and basically just ran it until they could get out of the contract. Sony was happy to dump it. You can't say that they were "weary of LucasArts" or any kind of tripe like that since they soon signed a contract locking them into the "Clone Wars Adventures." So Sony was still willing to get behind the Star Wars IP, but just not in the MMORPG arena.

LucasArts executive Tom Nichols has confirmed there will be continuing support for Star Wars Galaxies - even though new MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic is on the way.

Nichols was speaking at the recent press event for Star Wars: The Old Republic, currently being developed by BioWare. "We have many other features planned to support Star Wars Galaxies," he told Eurogamer. "We see no reason why the two games can't exist together."

CEO John Smedley said, "We have a contractual relationship that's ending in 2012, The Old Republic launching, a bunch of other business things with LucasArts. And then you look at the odds of a pretty large portion of the audience moving to TOR, which looks like a terrific game. ... That's the problem with licenses: they end. We're going to continue to do some licensed work, but we're largely going to stick to original IP [going forward] because then we won't have this issue. We'll never have this problem with EverQuest. Back in 2001, not '03 when we launched, but back in 2001 when we [first] negotiated it, a five year license seemed like a really long g****** time. EverQuest was only a year or so old at that point. Could we have renegotiated? Maybe, but I don't think that would be the right thing for the company."

It stings to accept that the game you loved so much wasn't great, but really, come up with something better.

This is the forums. don't post **** if you don't expect other responses. Which you will, because it sounds like you need some correcting.

I'm all for correcting, if you are actually correct and not driven by feelings. Give some real facts. Please trump me. I actually enjoy it.

EDIT: Slick, the CM breaks, too. You just haven't been here for it.

Edited by Thylbanus

Hi everyone,

We all know that "Galaxies" hit the nail on the head.

Um, do we???

Deleting "Galaxies" tore a hole in millions of peoples hearts. No one thinks that there will ever be a game like "Galaxies" ever again.

Er, it was just a game.

Creating the option of player cities and allowing us to be creative and design our own house kept everyone at the computer day in ad day out. Not just playing the stories and building up a character, but building a lifestyle in the game where we could bring our friends ad guild members to. :)

Our ships are our houses, but most of us would like to customise them

The following are a few positives and negatives:

Positives:

:D More community based guilds with more to control.

What?? This is a benefit of Player cities?

:D More items to buy and or play for.

:D More people wanting to play.

Maybe

:D More lure for Bioware.

:D More money for Bioware.

Not a benefit as far as we the customers are concerned, not a negative either just not relavent

:D Happier customers from the deletion of "Galaxies"

:D Make all the "Galaxies" players return.

Maybe, maybe not, because this game still won't be SWG, and some want SWG and only SWG. Personally I don't want SWG

:D Potentially hitting the records on all the new Star Wars fans involvement in this game.

Pure speculation, could easily go the other way.

Negatives:

:mad: Bioware has more to work on to make customers happier.

um, no. EA/Bioware will do the same amount of work, what will happen is that improvements people actually care about will be delayed or cancelled.

:mad: Bioware has to pay for more space for all the new content. (that's why we pay for expansions)

Again, no. EA has the servers already, what it means is that they have to put them back to running this game due to the extra coding, and running them costs money.

:mad: Customers have to pay.

Obviously.

:mad: Customers have to wait for the content to load.

Only once, or when they alter said content.

Here's some negatives you didn't consider:

Content most of us want will be delayed or cancelled

New Bugs

More patches fixing the bugs caused by this alteration

More people trying to change this into a SWG clone.

If more SWG aspects are introduced, people will leave because they didn't like SWG

More Lag, don't know why but it will hapen

People complaining that they didn't want player cities

Eventually massive empty cities, because people buy the player housing realise there is no reason to be in these cities, and then avoid them like the plague

The positives far outweigh the negatives. Creating the space on the servers for this content is possible... Other games are starting to do this. If the force will allow it, it will be done.

No the negatives actually outweigh the positives

Edited by AlexDougherty

Um, do we???

Er, it was just a game.

Our ships are our houses, but most of us would like to customise them

What?? This is a benefit of Player cities?

Maybe

Not a benefit as far as we the customers are concerned, not a negative either just not relavent

Maybe, maybe not, because this game still won't be SWG, and some want SWG and only SWG. Personally I don't want SWG

Pure speculation, could easily go the other way.

um, no. EA/Bioware will do the same amount of work, what will happen is that improvements people actually care about will be delayed or cancelled.

Again, no. EA has the servers already, what it means is that they have to put them back to running this game due to the extra coding, and running them costs money.

Obviously.

Only once, or when they alter said content.

Here's some negatives you didn't consider:

Content most of us want will be delayed or cancelled

New Bugs

More patches fixing the bugs caused by this alteration

More people trying to change this into a SWG clone.

If more SWG aspects are introduced, people will leave because they didn't like SWG

More Lag, don't know why but it will hapen

People complaining that they didn't want player cities

Eventually massive empty cities, because people buy the player housing realise there is no reason to be in these cities, and then avoid them like the plague

No the negatives actually outweigh the positives

Please replace 'we' and 'us' with 'me' and 'I' because you definitely do not speak for me.

Please replace 'we' and 'us' with 'me' and 'I' because you definitely do not speak for me.

Read through my post, and there are only three personal statements, one is already "I", turning "do we??" into "do me??" makes no sense, and the third is about wanting to customise our ships. Are you saying you don't want that option?