"Launcher is being updated. Please wait"

RoosterV

I can confirm that the patch or something happened but now Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have accurate permissions to access the item.

What?

Sharing my experience today......

I received this same message when the launcher updated. Note: I also got a cryptic error message about something failing (I did not screen capture it, so I don't recall the specifics). Naturally I then tried to run the launcher repair utility which promptly tired to install the Bitraider version of the game (bush league Bioware!!).... so I aborted and grabed my image copy of my game install and over-wrote the mess made by Bitraider... but not all files could be over-written as a few were locked. What a mess.

So.. I did a little poking around and it turns out that several files in the SWTOR directory were locked by an unknown source.. and I could not over-ride it. I even tried over-writing the entire directory from a saved copy of the install. Nope... still locked of course.. so they could not be over-written. Specifically, it was the Launcher.exe and the Client.exe that were locked. It was not possible to identify which process had locked the files either!! ... but my guess is it was the launcher patch utility that errored that caused the files to remain locked.

So.. when in doubt.. reboot. Once I rebooted, the files were no longer locked and I could delete them. I then copied my saved image of the SWTOR directory and reran the launcher. The second time, the launcher updated without error and I could then log in and play the game.

Specifics of my install:

Windows 8.1, all updates current.

Non Streaming Client (ie: NOT Bitraider)

First Launcher Update Attempt: 12:28PM Pacific Time (well after Eric gave us all the "thumbs up")

I cringe every time they do a launcher update because you can never tell exactly what it is doing and it does appear to be a bit quirky as to if it updates cleanly and without errors or not. And in the past, it has errored out and given little or no indication as to what or why... though usually running the launcher a second time resolves any issues... but not this time.. as I could not launch the launcher.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I always keep a fairly current image copy of my SWTOR directory. It made recovery options and recovery much simpler.

I am disappointed in the studio that I had to troubleshoot and solve the issue with absolutely no support or input from the studio... and it clearly appears that the launcher failed on the first attempt to install and it was chaos after that. None the less... I look at things like this as something to be over-come and move forward, like so many things inside a Windows OS.

Edited by Andryah

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never have I failed to get the game back after an hour of trying. It's been 4 and I'm at my wit's end.

Current issue:

- Certificate authorisation failed, please reinstall. This occurs when the latest SWTOR_setup.exe is used.

- When I try to get around the problem, closest I got was launcher.exe running in the background, but not doing anything. Just sitting there at 0% CPU and 25MB RAM doing.. nothing.

- I've tried using older versions of SWTOR_setup.exe, but they tell me the login servers are unavailable. (No they aren't half my guild is online).

I've exhausted my google fu trying to find KB articles linked here and there - Microsoft removed them.

Never had any difficulties with the launcher until now - it was the launcher fix that messed it up. Please unfix it so we can get back to playing.

(Please, please, please)

:csw_atat:

Sharing my experience today......

I received this same message when the launcher updated. Note: I also got a cryptic error message about something failing (I did not screen capture it, so I don't recall the specifics). Naturally I then tried to run the launcher repair utility which promptly tired to install the Bitraider version of the game (bush league Bioware!!).... so I aborted and grabed my image copy of my game install and over-wrote the mess made by Bitraider... but not all files could be over-written as a few were locked. What a mess.

So.. I did a little poking around and it turns out that several files in the SWTOR directory were locked by an unknown source.. and I could not over-ride it. I even tried over-writing the entire directory from a saved copy of the install. Nope... still locked of course.. so they could not be over-written. Specifically, it was the Launcher.exe and the Client.exe that were locked. It was not possible to identify which process had locked the files either!! ... but my guess is it was the launcher patch utility that errored that caused the files to remain locked.

So.. when in doubt.. reboot. Once I rebooted, the files were no longer locked and I could delete them. I then copied my saved image of the SWTOR directory and reran the launcher. The second time, the launcher updated without error and I could then log in and play the game.

Specifics of my install:

Windows 8.1, all updates current.

Non Streaming Client (ie: NOT Bitraider)

First Launcher Update Attempt: 12:28PM Pacific Time (well after Eric gave us all the "thumbs up")

I cringe every time they do a launcher update because you can never tell exactly what it is doing and it does appear to be a bit quirky as to if it updates cleanly and without errors or not. And in the past, it has errored out and given little or no indication as to what or why... though usually running the launcher a second time resolves any issues... but not this time.. as I could not launch the launcher.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I always keep a fairly current image copy of my SWTOR directory. It made recovery options and recovery much simpler.

I am disappointed in the studio that I had to troubleshoot and solve the issue with absolutely no support or input from the studio... and it clearly appears that the launcher failed on the first attempt to install and it was chaos after that. None the less... I look at things like this as something to be over-come and move forward, like so many things inside a Windows OS.

Is there any chance you may upload the swtor directory (without assets of course)? In my utter desperation I deleted the game folder...

Hey folks,

The launcher issue has been resolved. If you currently have the launcher open you will need to close it and reopen it to receive the new patch. This shouldn't take long and you will then be able to login normally. If you run into any issues, you can run the launcher repair utility as explained here.

Thank you again for your patience.

-eric

Everything is working as intended. What you still can't sign in? That's because we don't intend for you to be able to sign in. If we did intend for you to be able to sign in, we would have come back onto the forums to state that there are still some lingering problems and either report that we are working on those problems or advise a work around for them. Thank you for your money, Scram.

In all seriousness, this many people still reporting an inability to sign in should be evidence enough that not all is well. A post letting us know that you are aware of the problem and are at least looking into it would go a long way toward improving moral.

Is there any chance you may upload the swtor directory (without assets of course)? In my utter desperation I deleted the game folder...

Sadly, no. 37.2 gigs... not sure what it would be zipped. Regardless.. it would be a beast and I doubt cherry picking specific sets of files would really help you out much as it is not clear what file interdependencies their are.

Edited by Andryah

Why hasn't Eric bothered to respond again. It's obvious there is still an issue. 😡

^This.

Is it working as intended, and we're just out of luck for having too old Windows, not-updated Windows, a no-Windows?

Or is it an issue you didn't foresee, and we can count on a fix soon?

After many hours of trying to find a work around and then installing the whole game client from a fresh installation I finally manage to sign into the game and find out I still cannot play because all the servers are gone? I am a subscriber I need to be treated better I have not been able to play star wars since the new update that made sure the game cannot be played or even properly installed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGLFoT0XcAcOiCF.jpg:large

OK, so I patched my version of wine (I ignore the signature) and for now I can start the launcher.

As for Windows, I did read up on it a bit and I believe the certificate check might be related to what is discussed here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4191312/windows-cryptoapi-cryptsignhash-with-calg-sha-256-and-private-key-from-my-keyst

Maybe the installer / lauchner repair whatchamalcallit should set the crypt stuff up correctly on the clients.

SNy

For statistical purposes...

Windows Vista 64

Before running repair: Launcher process idles, no window.

After running D2.0.1 repair utility: Certificate Authentication Failure error

After old P1.8.2 repair utility: Back to the original behavior of running in the background yet doing nothing.

This was, as others have said, after the "all clear" was given.

Edit: Sent my diagnostic logs.

Edited by DarthSpooky

I run 2.13-staging, so the newest. How do you ignore the signature?

This is getting OT, but to help you out:

[strikethrough]I just discard the return value of VerifyImageHash. Likely a very bad idea.[/strikethrough]

Need to check with wine devs, of course, but it appears a fairly new addition. Maybe the context initialization is at fault (see linked SO thread).

Removed old, stupid attempt. Proper fix according to SO thread above:

File dlls/wintrust/softpub.c, function SOFTPUB_VerifyImageHash (around line 350):

//  if (!CryptAcquireContextW(&prov, NULL, NULL, PROV_RSA_FULL, CRYPT_VERIFYCONTEXT)) {
   if (!CryptAcquireContextW(&prov, NULL, MS_ENH_RSA_AES_PROV_W, PROV_RSA_AES, CRYPT_VERIFYCONTEXT)) {

(They use CryptAcquireContextW, so the Provider needs to be suffixed with _W.)

HTH, SNy

Edited by SNy-lotrolinux
proper fix for wine-staging

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

I apologize for the silence today I didn't mean to leave you hanging! I talked with the team with all of the information you have put in the thread and there are a few steps we want to ensure you go through.

If you are experiencing this issue and you are running the game on WinXP, there may be a separate issue. The team is looking into that now.

If after doing the above you are still not working, please run the launcher.diag.exe file located in your SWTOR directory. You can send the logs to communitysupport@swtor.com.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Hey Eric,

Even if you manage to get in the game through the non streaming version of the game by disabling bitraider in the config file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\launcher.settings" (This is a full fresh client install"}

line

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\" }"

to

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"

line:

, "bitraider_disable": false

to

, "bitraider_disable": true

Then still you will not be able to play the game even with windows firewall disabled and 3th party firewall and antivirus disabled. Because there is no servers to connect to as you can see in the image link I do not know how to post it as a preview image in here but the link will do:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGLFoT0XcAcOiCF.jpg:large

Any solutions?

Hey folks,

I apologize for the silence today I didn't mean to leave you hanging! I talked with the team with all of the information you have put in the thread and there are a few steps we want to ensure you go through.

If you are experiencing this issue and you are running the game on WinXP, there may be a separate issue. The team is looking into that now.

If after doing the above you are still not working, please run the launcher.diag.exe file located in your SWTOR directory. You can send the logs to communitysupport@swtor.com.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Tried it again, as Eric lined out.

got the certificate authent error at the end of running the launcher repair util, tried to run game launcher, got same cert auth error right away, launcher doesn't even come up.

waiting for launcher diag to finish, seems to be spending a lot of time in Windows Error Reporting.

btw, using Vista 64

update: logs sent

Edited by Thraxantulus
update

Hey folks,

Thanks everyone.

-eric

This is the same Launcher repair thats been thrown around all day. Its clearly not working.. This isnt fair guys many of us here are subs too :(

Hey folks,

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Running the launcher repair utility was a disaster for me. It tried to over-write my non-streaming install with the Bitraider streaming install. This needs to be addressed, either by explicitly providing instructions as to how to avoid this.. or providing a launcher repair utility that does not try to over-write the current install. A repair utility really should be bullet proof, NOT make matters worse.

Lucky for me, I had an image of my SWTOR install stored on a USB stick and could easily recover (once I restarted my computer to get rid of the processes that had some files locked when the launcher update errored out the first time).

Edited by Andryah

Running the launcher repair utility was a disaster for me. It tried to over-write my non-streaming install with the Bitraider streaming install. This needs to be addressed, either by explicitly providing instructions as to how to avoid this.. or providing a launcher repair utility that does not try to over-write the current install. A repair utility really should be bullet proof, NOT make matters worse.

Lucky for me, I had an image of my SWTOR install stored on a USB stick and could easily recover (once I restarted my computer to get rid of the processes that had some files locked when the launcher update errored out the first time).

I've been keeping a copy of swtor backed up for exactly that reason. But also because I reformat or reimage my drives often and it's also handy in case you have a drive failure.

Hey folks,

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Did all that stuff already, tried again... nothing changed... still doesn't work.

I've been keeping a copy of swtor backed up for exactly that reason. But also because I reformat or reimage my drives often and it's also handy in case you have a drive failure.

Yep.. a back-up copy of the game image inoculates the player from a range of possible issues for sure. :)

I actually have two backups.. one automated via my home NAS (which is hardened against fire, water, voltage spikes, etc) .. and a manual copy on a usb stick. The stick is easier when I need to do an over-write, and the NAS is a backup to the backup... because &%$# does happen as I'm positive you know. :D If I ever had an issue with the USB stick (like somehow losing it) .. I can quickly load a new USB stick into the NAS and pull a copy in short order if I need to.

Edited by Andryah

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

We suspect that some of you who are still unable to get into the launcher are dealing with a Windows Certificate issue. We are looking into possible solutions for those of you who are having that issue, especially on older OS such as XP and Vista.

I will pass on more information as I have it.

-eric

Hey folks,

We suspect that some of you who are still unable to get into the launcher are dealing with a Windows Certificate issue. We are looking into possible solutions for those of you who are having that issue, especially on older OS such as XP and Vista.

I will pass on more information as I have it.

-eric

Sounds about right... also looks like an old bug that's been around since beta according to the searches I've been doing.

Fingers crossed you can find a fix :)