Lag spikes. Any solutions?

Khremlin

Hi. Been back to the game for about a month now. First 3 weeks were perfect, but for the last week or so I've been seeing lag spikes that jump from 30 to 2k++++. Game freezes into a slide show... and then drops back to normal 99% of the time (with no disconnect).

I've read everything i could find, current and prehistoric, on this issues. Examined the internet here. Played with windows themes settings. Tried Exit lag, etc. Anyone with the same troubles find anything else that worked?

Windows 10, 64bit.

Machine was built in December 2019. It's my first PC in 15 years so I'm not going to pretend to be good at troubleshooting it... but it has no issues with other games.

Server is Star Forge.

Thanks in advance, sorry if its the wrong forum.

Hi. Been back to the game for about a month now. First 3 weeks were perfect, but for the last week or so I've been seeing lag spikes that jump from 30 to 2k++++. Game freezes into a slide show... and then drops back to normal 99% of the time (with no disconnect).

I've read everything i could find, current and prehistoric, on this issues. Examined the internet here. Played with windows themes settings. Tried Exit lag, etc. Anyone with the same troubles find anything else that worked?

Windows 10, 64bit.

Machine was built in December 2019. It's my first PC in 15 years so I'm not going to pretend to be good at troubleshooting it... but it has no issues with other games.

Server is Star Forge.

i had the same issue while play swtor is supper lag spiked and if play jedi fallen order is ok

turn out there is problem in modem, i ask the internet provider to change it and it went smooth

so maybe thats your problem but if it still persist

1. check your RJ45 connecttor maybe it is loose so it causing lag , change it

2. your internet card have issue

3. do not use wireless connection but wired connection cause it may not stable

4. Use service like wtfast but maybe you in US so not needed

good luck

Edited by KumbayaGOD

• 8 months later...

Windows 10, 64bit.

Server is Star Forge.

Same issue. Its not ISP related, fully tested and checked with the ISP, and its reliable, to every other site and streaming and MMO.

There's something in SWTOR that is bleeding out when I try to play. Is there anyone with a fix that worked for them and had severe unacceptable lag spikes?

Same issue. Its not ISP related, fully tested and checked with the ISP, and its reliable, to every other site and streaming and MMO.

There's something in SWTOR that is bleeding out when I try to play. Is there anyone with a fix that worked for them and had severe unacceptable lag spikes?

While there may have been some server based lag issues lately, these user issues are usually caused by network problems - bad hub/router, congestion, etc. Google "internet routing" to get an idea of why only some sites may have lag issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting sudden latency spikes on Star Forge.

Altering graphics changes nothing. Reset router, modem, comp several times.

Checked and secured all hardware. Compared latency and reliability by switching between wireless and hardwired connections. No change.

All hardware aside from Power Supply and cooling system are pretty new.

Pinged a random website, all 0% packet loss. Pinged router, 0% router loss.

No ISP issues in the area.

At this point I'm fairly certain SWTOR IT is having issues of some sort. Whether they're informed about it, working on it, or doing nothing is completely up in the air.

It'd be nice if they were ever having issues they'd say something and give status updates, if this is the case.

They aren't *latency* spikes.

They are *packet loss*. A packet goes missing either from your PC to the server or from the server to your PC (the difference is impossible to diagnose, because the result is the same), and the "link quality" meter assumes that the response is late rather than lost.

it gets referenced so much, this post needs to be isolated and stickied

Please download Pingplotter.com and follow these steps to see if it’s the server or the connection / pathway to the server causing the issues

To find out the server IP (it changes everytime you log in now) you need start swtor and then go back to your Windows desktop.

Now run command prompt in Administrator mode

(Depending on which Windows you have, there are different ways to run it in Administrator mode, so do a quick Google search on how too for your windows version)

Type this command into the command shell after you have opened it.

Netstat -n -p tcp -b | more

(I usually have the netstat command saved in a txt file for notepad and just copy and paste it into the command prompt)

It will show you the 2 swtor connections to the server IP

It usually has an ip like this - 159.153.65.233 or 159.153.65.232

But because it changes each time you login it will be different.. Ie it could be - 159.153.65.220

This is why you have to run this each time if you want to get an accurate read on the server ping.

Once you have that ip, open pingplotter. You can then enter the swtor server ip you are connected to and it will run a live trace route, showing all the connection hops along the way.

You'll be able to see live statistics and information on what is happening.

I agree, maybe #owenbrookes (hope I spelt that right), might be able to help here, as he's an unofficial support here, and the dev/mods might listen to him. 👍👍👍

Daniels the guy to get it organised or Musco.

I think Owen looks after the swtor/ea answers site side of things more than here.

They aren't *latency* spikes.

They are *packet loss*. A packet goes missing either from your PC to the server or from the server to your PC (the difference is impossible to diagnose, because the result is the same), and the "link quality" meter assumes that the response is late rather than lost.

A few weeks ago my wife was having an issue with elevators not working and space missions in swtor. Owen sent me on a path of discovery when he suggested it was a network problem.

And after a journey of self discovery, the long and short of it had to do with a little known windows service called Teredo. Which has to do with the in built windows Xbox networking protocols and ipv6 (which swtor and 95% of home user setups don’t use).

What I have noticed is since the last Windows 20h2 update, more people are having strange issues in swtor and network issues. I suspect, but don’t know, that Microsoft changed something and that could be impacting the game for some people.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Daniels the guy to get it organised or Musco.

I think Owen looks after the swtor/ea answers site side of things more than here.

I've messaged both about other stuff and been ignored, so I wouldn't waste my time doing it again. I was hoping that maybe owen could message them, to see if it can happen, as they might actually listen to him.

Edited by DarkTergon

As it was described in the OP, it sounds like the issue I had. It was not lag, or network related - it's where both the visual and audio parts of the game act - stuttery. Like trying to watch a movie with a strobe light effect. It happens once every hour or two for three to five seconds and then disappears again.

The remedy in this thread fixed it for me:

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=978384

The relevant part:

1 - open preferences

2 - navigate to Graphics

3 - scroll down to advanced

4 - uncheck/unselect "Enhanced Shadows"

5 - click "apply" at bottom right corner

6 - click "ok"

7 - Be sure to click on "keep settings" if prompted

That thread says it also helps if you lower the "Shadow Quality" setting. I set my Shadow Map Resolution low as well.

A few weeks ago my wife was having an issue with elevators not working and space missions in swtor. Owen sent me on a path of discovery when he suggested it was a network problem.

And after a journey of self discovery, the long and short of it had to do with a little known windows service called Teredo. Which has to do with the in built windows Xbox networking protocols and ipv6 (which swtor and 95% of home user setups don’t use).

What I have noticed is since the last Windows 20h2 update, more people are having strange issues in swtor and network issues. I suspect, but don’t know, that Microsoft changed something and that could be impacting the game for some people.

Ugh. Teredo. Bleurgh. I have this service active because things don't quite work right without it, but I have native dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 in my network, so from that point of view there's less than no need for it. The XBox bar flibbles if the service isn't running.

It's worth noting that WoW has (and uses) IPv6 support, although the tooltip in the options panel says to leave it turned off if you don't have IPv6.

Hi!

I had som awful lagspikes this spring/early summer. Been good since but this week it started again.

I have a screenshot from Pingplotter here and it looks like the one I hade earlier this year with a lot of errors and packet losses from step 8-13.

This should, if I understand correcty, rule out that it is a local problem?

It's somewhere after my isp?

https://i.imgur.com/q6g0aXd.png

Edited by MrSteed

snip

By that SS, that particular issue resides with Level3 (backbone service provider, think the ISP of your ISP). Give that info to both support@swtor.com and your own ISP, let them chase it from both ends. As noted in another post, some ISP's are better than others in chasing down backbone routing issues, so its rather murky as to what to expect for results on that side, but still worth trying.

Edited by Kaveat

By that SS, that particular issue resides with Level3 (backbone service provider, think the ISP of your ISP). Give that info to both support@swtor.com and your own ISP, let them chase it from both ends. As noted in another post, some ISP's are better than others in chasing down backbone routing issues, so its rather murky as to what to expect for results on that side, but still worth trying.

Tnx, I will try that.

Hi!

I had som awful lagspikes this spring/early summer. Been good since but this week it started again.

I have a screenshot from Pingplotter here and it looks like the one I hade earlier this year with a lot of errors and packet losses from step 8-13.

This should, if I understand correcty, rule out that it is a local problem?

It's somewhere after my isp?

https://i.imgur.com/q6g0aXd.png

pingplotter is good as it provides some form of information to try and say there is an issue they need to raise or look at

Now saying that your ping plot actually looks very good and has no major issues , try plotting longer and make sure it is working whilst playing and can check the graph for changes when the issue in swtor occurs.

Edited by OwenBrooks

pingplotter is good as it provides some form of information to try and say there is an issue they need to raise or look at

Now saying that your ping plot actually looks very good and has no major issues , try plotting longer and make sure it is working whilst playing and can check the graph for changes when the issue in swtor occurs.

I have to agree with Owen here. The plot looks pretty good and normal.

Like Owen is saying, run it whilst playing. It uses minimal resources so it won’t affect anything and you can track any problems live and then take a screen shot as they happen. Also, showing the below graph is a good way to show a pattern of lag spikes.

it gets referenced so much, this post needs to be isolated and stickied

Off chance you know of a way to compile the plot data into something more comprehensive? I've read recommendations of submitting the data to ISP and EA support. Not sure if I should just snippit the heck out of the graphs or if there's a way to compile it in a more simplistic setting.

snip

snip

For L3, that internal latency increase is not 'normal'

Off chance you know of a way to compile the plot data into something more comprehensive? I've read recommendations of submitting the data to ISP and EA support. Not sure if I should just snippit the heck out of the graphs or if there's a way to compile it in a more simplistic setting.

you can link/snip multiple sources to one document via google docs or sheets, and/or you can go with folder sharing via gDrive /dropbox /etc

Edited by Kaveat