Introducing Parsec - a new raid aware real time combat log parser

Hi,

So, I'm having a unique problem running this program apparently. I've installed it three times now, and cannot get it to work correctly. I have combat logging enabled, and the path is correct. However, when I click on Raid Groups tab nothing happens. When I click on the Parse tab I get a message saying "Error Watching File Value cannot be null. When I click on the Raid tab I get a message saying "You must select a Raid Group to join". Both the Parse and Raid buttons are also red instead of green. Any idea what's causing this or how to fix it? I've asked everyone I know that runs this, and none of them have had this issue.

Thanks,

Karmac

Please contact me via the support link in the application or on the Parsec codeplex site. I will try to help via those channels.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately there is no way to differentiate damage absorbed by force armor from any other absorbing effect such as Blade Barrier. The "absorbed" stat on the Damage taken tab indicates damage that was absorbed via these abilities. The best I could offer on the heal tab would be a count of force armors that you cast.

tangent : I'm writing my own combat log parser for fun (not real-time, crappy ascii reports) and have the following question:

How can I figure out exactly what the combat log is telling me? I've seen the post with the combat-log-key.jpg and that helps a lot but leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

E.g. for your statement about absorb above, how did you figure that out? Does BW tell us anywhere or did you have to tediously reverse engineer it?

FYI: I'm particularly interested in PvP tanking and trying to get numbers on shield mitigation.

Another question: if I merge my log with someone else, are the timestamps in each of our logs client time or server time? If they are local then it is possible that merging and sorting via timestamp gives an inaccurate view of the sequence of events.

anything I can do to avoid repeating someone else's reverse engineering work would be good.

• 2 weeks later...

I've parsed on my Shadow and Assassin a few times, and there have been times when the logs have become messy when stealthing out and then getting back to the fight. Just now I had dummy fight of about 6 minutes, and I used my combat stealth pretty much on cooldown. When I checked the parse, there actually were logs for three fights instead of one, and the lengths did not add up. The three fights were about 4 minutes long in total, so about two minutes were lost somewhere.

Do you think this is a problem in the game's log system itself, or something in PARSEC? In-game I guess the only work around is to try to get back to the fight as quick as possible (though in the fight mentioned I'd wager my stealths only lasted for ~0.1 seconds or so). I haven't noticed this on my Scoundrel, however, if that happened to make a difference.

Edited by Memo-

tangent : I'm writing my own combat log parser for fun (not real-time, crappy ascii reports) and have the following question:

How can I figure out exactly what the combat log is telling me? I've seen the post with the combat-log-key.jpg and that helps a lot but leaves a lot of questions unanswered.

E.g. for your statement about absorb above, how did you figure that out? Does BW tell us anywhere or did you have to tediously reverse engineer it?

FYI: I'm particularly interested in PvP tanking and trying to get numbers on shield mitigation.

Another question: if I merge my log with someone else, are the timestamps in each of our logs client time or server time? If they are local then it is possible that merging and sorting via timestamp gives an inaccurate view of the sequence of events.

anything I can do to avoid repeating someone else's reverse engineering work would be good.

Parsec is open source so you can download the code and use it or reverse engineer it if you would like. Bioware did not provide any resources but in the beginning i used a post that detailed the log format. The parser portion of parsec is in a stand alone library and can be used outside of the parsec client easily.

Timestamps are server time and are adjusted to local timezone. For some reason events in the log can be slightly out of order. I believe this is because of server latency on certain actions.

I've parsed on my Shadow and Assassin a few times, and there have been times when the logs have become messy when stealthing out and then getting back to the fight. Just now I had dummy fight of about 6 minutes, and I used my combat stealth pretty much on cooldown. When I checked the parse, there actually were logs for three fights instead of one, and the lengths did not add up. The three fights were about 4 minutes long in total, so about two minutes were lost somewhere.

Do you think this is a problem in the game's log system itself, or something in PARSEC? In-game I guess the only work around is to try to get back to the fight as quick as possible (though in the fight mentioned I'd wager my stealths only lasted for ~0.1 seconds or so). I haven't noticed this on my Scoundrel, however, if that happened to make a difference.

Technically, according to the log, you have left and resumed combat thus being in multiple fights. However, I have worked hard to detect combat rez and combat stealth in parsec and combine the fights appropriately. This has proven to be difficult for many reasons that I wont go into.

It sounds like parsec should be stringing these fights together and this is a bug. Please send me this log file at support@parsecparser.com and i can find out what is up.

It would be really cool to have a tab recording your 'top crit' - your highest damage tick for each ability, over the life of a character.

Cool idea, maybe it will make it in to a build.

Any possibility you can provide more information about what is wrong with it?

Well Endure Pain is counted as a heal and always shows as having healed (0 effective) 30% of your total health; Enraged Defense always shows as having healed for 0 effective too. This is bothersome because it leads to logs where my Jugg is putting out 500 HPS and only 10 "EHPS" (Medpack).

Technically, according to the log, you have left and resumed combat thus being in multiple fights. However, I have worked hard to detect combat rez and combat stealth in parsec and combine the fights appropriately. This has proven to be difficult for many reasons that I wont go into.

It sounds like parsec should be stringing these fights together and this is a bug. Please send me this log file at support@parsecparser.com and i can find out what is up.

It's just interesting that every combat stealth doesn't break the log. But yeah, I'll send the log to you. :)

Well Endure Pain is counted as a heal and always shows as having healed (0 effective) 30% of your total health; Enraged Defense always shows as having healed for 0 effective too. This is bothersome because it leads to logs where my Jugg is putting out 500 HPS and only 10 "EHPS" (Medpack).

Effective healing is not something that is in the log. It is calculated based on threat generated by the heal. If those abilities are not generating threat then there is no way to calculate effective healing. Unfortunately there is not much I can do about this. I could set these abilities to a fixed 100% effective which would make sense for endure pain but it wouldnt make sense for enraged defense. I will take a look at the logs for ed and see if something is amiss for the threat portion.

I can't figure this out, I don't know if I'm missing something or what, but....how do I get the parsec pop-outs to display over the game?

I have "always on top" selected under settings, and it's always layered above everything other than SWTOR which just doesn't seem to cooperate.

I can't figure this out, I don't know if I'm missing something or what, but....how do I get the parsec pop-outs to display over the game?

I have "always on top" selected under settings, and it's always layered above everything other than SWTOR which just doesn't seem to cooperate.

Your game needs to be in Windowed or Fullscreen (Windowed) mode.

Edited by invertioN

Parsec is open source so you can download the code and use it or reverse engineer it if you would like. Bioware did not provide any resources but in the beginning i used a post that detailed the log format. The parser portion of parsec is in a stand alone library and can be used outside of the parsec client easily.

Thanks. I already did look at it for the regex patterns matching lines.

Timestamps are server time and are adjusted to local timezone. For some reason events in the log can be slightly out of order. I believe this is because of server latency on certain actions.

Thanks, information like this -- what the various things in the log mean is harder to come by.

Based on the responses from this thread, it is clear that the healing from Force Armor/Static Barrier cannot be calculated through the parser. However, would it be possible to compromise? Maybe we could have an interactive box similar to this where we manually input our bonus healing? The parser should be able to determine the fight length and the number of force armors/static barriers used. Ultimately, our inputed bonus healing would calculate both HPS and more importantly EHPS for the entire raid group to see. It would be a way for us to quickly calculate our healing without having a spreadsheet and the parser up.

This could also help other raid members understand that sage/sorc healers' of the same gear and ability level have a similar total output.

Edited by bluengreen

Effective healing is not something that is in the log. It is calculated based on threat generated by the heal. If those abilities are not generating threat then there is no way to calculate effective healing. Unfortunately there is not much I can do about this. I could set these abilities to a fixed 100% effective which would make sense for endure pain but it wouldnt make sense for enraged defense. I will take a look at the logs for ed and see if something is amiss for the threat portion.

Well Endure Pain shouldn't count as healing at all in my eyes. It boosts your maximum health by 30% and then "heals" you by that amount, but it's only temporary.

04:09:58.587 You activate Endure Pain

04:09:58.587 You gain Endure Pain

04:09:58.594 You heal yourself with Endure Pain for 15,162 (0 effective)

The thing that confuses me is when it ends:

04:10:08.678 You spend 11,509 health point

04:10:08.679 You lose Endure Pain effect

If Enraged Defense generates no threat then I suppose there's nothing you can do.

Speaking of threat, when calculating effective heals how do you account for things like guard and threat reduction in healing trees?

Well Endure Pain shouldn't count as healing at all in my eyes. It boosts your maximum health by 30% and then "heals" you by that amount, but it's only temporary.

If Enraged Defense generates no threat then I suppose there's nothing you can do.

Speaking of threat, when calculating effective heals how do you account for things like guard and threat reduction in healing trees?

Guard I would assume is merely a command line call-back *is target under effect of Gaurd* *if so use 1.333x modifier*

Threat reduction itself isn't relevant because the ehps tab is a result of threat from effective heals only (aka not dps threat), and the threat modifiers are stand-alone events that wouldn't contribute to the total.

Based on the responses from this thread, it is clear that the healing from Force Armor/Static Barrier cannot be calculated through the parser. However, would it be possible to compromise? Maybe we could have an interactive box similar to this where we manually input our bonus healing? The parser should be able to determine the fight length and the number of force armors/static barriers used. Ultimately, our inputed bonus healing would calculate both HPS and more importantly EHPS for the entire raid group to see. It would be a way for us to quickly calculate our healing without having a spreadsheet and the parser up.

This could also help other raid members understand that sage/sorc healers' of the same gear and ability level have a similar total output.

Yeah the sage healers in my guild have been asking for this for a while. Its a good idea but dont know when i can get to it.

I understand but I didnt write the abilities in swtor. Like it or not endure pain is a heal in the log file as far as swtor is concerned.

Guard is tracked by the parser and threat reduction coefficients are determined via a lookup table. For the purposes of effective healing it is assumed that healers spec into the threat reduction talents. This is a compromise but gets us close enough.

Edited by Docmal

Guard I would assume is merely a command line call-back *is target under effect of Gaurd* *if so use 1.333x modifier*

Threat reduction itself isn't relevant because the ehps tab is a result of threat from effective heals only (aka not dps threat), and the threat modifiers are stand-alone events that wouldn't contribute to the total.

I believe he was referring to the threat reduction talents in the healer trees. These do have an effect on the ehps calculation.

I know this is a bit Pie in the Sky but how about asking BW to improve the combat log? I'd love to see both

• more information in the combat log
  • an official description from BW on how to interpret the combat log (is this so much to ask for)?

I'm particularly interested in tank guarding, PvP taunt mitigation and shield mitigation.

I understand but I didnt write the abilities in swtor. Like it or not endure pain is a heal in the log file as far as swtor is concerned.

Guard is tracked by the parser and threat reduction coefficients are determined via a lookup table. For the purposes of effective healing it is assumed that healers spec into the threat reduction talents. This is a compromise but gets us close enough.

How do you determine if somebody is a "healer"?