Server lag on Darth Malgus worse after outages

Ylliarus

A couple of weeks ago, the Darth Malgus server had some outage issues, shortly after Tulak Hord had faced the same problems. Every since those outages however, I have noticed that the server lag (the ms count) is worse and a lot less stable than it used to be. Prior to the server crashes, my server lag was around 33 ms, jumping sometimes to 28 ms or 36/38 ms. However, now the server lag sits between 48 and 60 ms, jumping around a lot more (but never going lower than 46 ms) than it used to and also making more drastic jumps (such as to 312 ms or higher) more frequently. It almost appears as if the server stability has taken a bad hit since the server crashes from a couple of weeks ago.

And before anyone says it, no, it's not my internet connection. I have run several internet speed tests and all give me consistent results, with the speeds being the same as they had always been prior to the Darth Malgus server crashes. So it's very unlikely the increase in server lag is an issue on my end, I think.

Do others on the Darth Malgus server notice the same? How about the Tulak Hord server? Have players there also noticed worse server lag than they were used to, especially after their server got hit by several outages and crashes?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is something wrong and very noticeable in warzones on darth malgus now.

When you go into jets in huttball, you don't get any animation. The game just freezes and spawns you after a few seconds on whatever it would land you. Sometimes, the jets don't work at all.

This never happened before. It feels really broken. Please do something!

Edited by Nemmar

My guess...

Dedicated local network port for one virtual server died.

And because there's no budget for new hardware - only recycled hardware from elsewhere in EA operations, they brought the virtual server back up sharing what was the dedicated network port of another virtual server.

So now two servers are back to where they were the step before the merge was finalized...

...two virtual servers "clock dividing" or " time sharing" the same port.

=8-)

I have noticed something similar a week or so ago. It fixed itself in the meantime.

Bioware was not at fault though, a quick pingplotter run showed that a Telia owned node near Dublin was causing delays and severe packet loss.

I was able to circumvent this temporarily by using a vpn that used a different routing.

So before blaming outdated hardware / software - realize your internet connection may be the issue.

It may be fine for any other site / service that isnt hosted near the SWTOR server's location and can still show signs of masssive lag while playing SWTOR.

Edited by MJSCHNEIDER

I have noticed something similar a week or so ago. It fixed itself in the meantime.

Bioware was not at fault though, a quick pingplotter run showed that a Telia owned node near Dublin was causing delays and severe packet loss.

I was able to circumvent this temporarily by using a vpn that used a different routing.

So before blaming outdated hardware / software - realize your internet connection may be the issue.

It may be fine for any other site / service that isnt hosted near the SWTOR server's location and can still show signs of masssive lag while playing SWTOR.

Well, if - as you say - this Telia node near Dublin was causing the issue, then it's still not a connection problem on my end, is it? :p especially since the increased server lag occurred after the Darth Malgus server outages. Of course, coincidence is a thing, but it would be a damn big coincidence if you ask me. Also, I am glad you were able to temporarily reroute, but I have absolutely no idea how to use a vpn or how to reroute internet connections (which sounds like black magic to me).

My guess...

Dedicated local network port for one virtual server died.

And because there's no budget for new hardware - only recycled hardware from elsewhere in EA operations, they brought the virtual server back up sharing what was the dedicated network port of another virtual server.

So now two servers are back to where they were the step before the merge was finalized...

...two virtual servers "clock dividing" or " time sharing" the same port.

=8-)

And this could cause an increase in server lag? Or cause a lessened stability?

Edited by Ylliarus

I heard the servers are now in Ireland . If this is true, it might be the main reason why so many are having more lags and delays.

The EU servers always were in Ireland.

Good choice riding on the internet infrastructure required for Google, Facebook and Amazon.

What would you suggest? Frankfurt? Played ESO lately?

Edited by Mubrak

I heard the servers are now in Ireland . If this is true, it might be the main reason why so many are having more lags and delays.

The servers have always been in Ireland, so nothing changed there. However, another player here mentioned they discovered there were problems with an Internet exchange point near Dublin, which led to huge data packet loss:

So perhaps this is the issue causing the server lag.

then why is bioware not taking actions to fix this problem?

there can easy make a post on facebook and twitter and on the forums also that there are working on it to fix the problem with lagg then the comunety knows there are working on it but so far you hear notting from then about it and it seems more there not care to take actions on it to fix the lagg problem.

that there cant fix it is true but there can call the company where the servers are and tell then that there most fix the problem ASAP.

but its nice if there tell it to us as comunety that there know there is a problem on Darth Malgus server.

and the lagg today is worse then it was yesterday i got.

I've been having 300ms with 600ms+ spikes all week on DM. This is very uncommon for me.

Definitely something weird going on. Cant tell when this started exactly though since I've been traveling alot this month.

Edited by Kiesu

is it me or is the server lagg today on Darth Malgus getting worse and worse by the day or so?

i got kickt out off the server all 4 time's today with a 1000+ MS.

i hope there gone do something about it since 4 time's kickt out off the server by having good lagg is getting anoying more.

is it me or is the server lagg today on Darth Malgus getting worse and worse by the day or so?

i got kickt out off the server all 4 time's today with a 1000+ MS.

i hope there gone do something about it since 4 time's kickt out off the server by having good lagg is getting anoying more.

The server lag in my case manifests itself with small lag spikes like for example I normally have 60ms connection and usually when I PVP it jumps out to 120ms for a few seconds and then goes back to normal.. When this happens it can be totally game breaking because it usually makes my abilities have delays and not fire up on time.. which in ranked basically means RIP if you need to kite .

I had this even before 6.0 but it wasn't as bad as it is now. I also noticed that it's worse in prime time when server is kinda full of people. I doubt there is anything my ISP or Bioware can do .

The server lag in my case manifests itself with small lag spikes like for example I normally have 60ms connection and usually when I PVP it jumps out to 120ms for a few seconds and then goes back to normal.. When this happens it can be totally game breaking because it usually makes my abilities have delays and not fire up on time.. which in ranked basically means RIP if you need to kite .

I had this even before 6.0 but it wasn't as bad as it is now. I also noticed that it's worse in prime time when server is kinda full of people. I doubt there is anything my ISP or Bioware can do .

if you look few post's back you see that the main problem from the lagg is coming from out Dublin where the EU servers are.

and BW can do somingthing about it and thats calling to the company where the servers are staying in Dublin and tell then to fix the problem with there servers there.

and prime time on the EU servers is only starting earlier and earlier in the next 2 weeks since next week its X mess and a week later its old and new that means also prime time on the EU servers is only starting earlier then normal the next 2 weeks and that means also the lagg on the servers we get is also starting earlier in the next 2 weeks also the problem is only getting worse and worse in the next 2 weeks also.

and bioware most have to action all 2 month's ago when some players have report it all about the lagg problems on the EU servers and have take action with the company in Dublin to get it fix fast.

I have been noticing that the lag is getting a bit worse over the last couple of days. As I said, it stuck around 44ms but since the day before yesterday it's stuck around 50/53 ms more frequently. I have checked all the hardware at home, checked the cables to make sure they're plugged in right but it had absolutely no effect on the server ping, so it has to be something on Bioware's end. Funnily enough, I used to have 120ms when playing on Satele Shan but when I checked yesterday my server ping there was 99ms xD so it actually improved there but worsened on Darth Malgus. And it all started with the server outages of several weeks back after the launch of Onslaught.

I have been noticing that the lag is getting a bit worse over the last couple of days. As I said, it stuck around 44ms but since the day before yesterday it's stuck around 50/53 ms more frequently. I have checked all the hardware at home, checked the cables to make sure they're plugged in right but it had absolutely no effect on the server ping, so it has to be something on Bioware's end.
No it doesn't, there is something between your home set-up and the BioWare servers. It's your internet provider. Fluctuations are always possible and faulty nodes in between as well. So no, it doesn't HAVE to be a BW server issue.

Besides if it really was a server issue of some significance there would be more people reporting bigger issues here. The difference between 44ms and 53ms is also not something noteworthy so that's not a deviation to worry about really. The internet isn't quite as stable as some people seem to think. Depending on where you live and which internet provided you use there is a distance to cover between your house and BW servers and it's not a direct straight line that is consistently equally stable. 53ms is perfectly playable so if that's the extent of your issues then I don't think you'll get any joy from either BW or your IP.

No it doesn't, there is something between your home set-up and the BioWare servers. It's your internet provider. Fluctuations are always possible and faulty nodes in between as well. So no, it doesn't HAVE to be a BW server issue.

Besides if it really was a server issue of some significance there would be more people reporting bigger issues here.(...)

My lag on Darth Malgus has gotten very bad during the last approx. 2 weeks, with the tendency to get worse and worse.

Within those 2 weeks, I've been playing from 2 different countries with 4 different internet providers, all of them high speed and without any problems with anything else.

2 countries (with some 1.500 km distance to each other)

4 internet providers

perfect connection and speed, no matter what I do

except when being connected to the Darth Malgus server (which causes heavy lag)

Bonus info: I don't have that strong lag when being connected to the US servers. From Europe.

P. S. The reason I haven't reported it before is that I didn't care enough anymore. I don't believe that they will do anything about it. I don't have the energy to fight for a better game anymore. I admire Trixxie and others who still haven't given up hope, despite being let down again and again through the years.

Edited by JattaGin

Besides if it really was a server issue of some significance there would be more people reporting bigger issues here. The difference between 44ms and 53ms is also not something noteworthy so that's not a deviation to worry about really. The internet isn't quite as stable as some people seem to think. Depending on where you live and which internet provided you use there is a distance to cover between your house and BW servers and it's not a direct straight line that is consistently equally stable. 53ms is perfectly playable so if that's the extent of your issues then I don't think you'll get any joy from either BW or your IP.

There is lag on the server no doubt about it .. What is causing it is unknown . From what I saw in game, the people who are closer to servers aren't not affected and the lag is just minor... ability delays and ****ters that come and go but can ruin your game if they happen in the wrong moment depending on what you do in game(pvp in my case).

It's not that big of a deal for the studio to bother. I had these lags since merge, but they are worse in 6.0 . How does it manifest ? Dude is in front of me but I cannot hit him... then he glitches out and shows up a few meters away, or he uses phasewalk and is seen teleporting under the platform in orbital station, but I CANNOT leap to him... even if on my screen he is DOWN, because in reality he is actually UP :D:D:D Is it dsync ? No idea....

Bro! Sis! just turn on and off Airplane mode and it fixes all sort of network problems! Even on your computer! plug in a modem usb into your computer and connect to its "hotspot" or do some random magical things!

Jokes aside, thats the main reason I do not call for a tech support for our computers, they are basically useless.

I have it too lags and high ms especially in warzones (unranked only, I don't do ranked due to toxic people)

Besides if it really was a server issue of some significance there would be more people reporting bigger issues here.

ow really then if i look on this thread under bug reporting about the server lagg http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=969907

if you read it good that the Dath Malgus server also got the lagg problems and that a lot off players have report it on that thread.

that means its the servers problem and bioware most do its job and fix it all is it by calling the company where the servers are that there most force the company to fix it.

and if 53 reports where you get a lot off reports from players on Dath Malgus server that got lagg means bioware most do something to fix the problem.

ow really then if i look on this thread under bug reporting about the server lagg http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=969907

if you read it good that the Dath Malgus server also got the lagg problems and that a lot off players have report it on that thread.

that means its the servers problem and bioware most do its job and fix it all is it by calling the company where the servers are that there most force the company to fix it.

and if 53 reports where you get a lot off reports from players on Dath Malgus server that got lagg means bioware most do something to fix the problem.

That thread is not about Darth Malgus but in general and was started in October. We all know what happened on Tulak Hord and more recently on Darth Malgus as well. That's not what we're talking about here.

Of course there is some server lag but there is also a delay in the communication between your home and the server. How much depends on various factors.

Now I'm not saying that DM doesn't have any issues at all, but I am saying that so far I haven't seen anything that decisively can be called a server issue at BW's side. Particularly because people like myself and others do not seem to have this issue. So by the information given here, I can't agree that it MUST be a server issue. When you get 53ms a lot of people will be jealous of you as it is and it is within acceptable parameters.

I've had some of these spike issues in the past. But I'm not talking about 53ms but ranges from 200-20k ms which it was just jumping back and forth between. This was before DM was shut down and I haven't had it since but I also found that the problem was not persistent and at least half the time I could trace the problem with a node having issues. But other times not.

So again, I'm not saying there aren't any issues with the DM server but I have not seen anything here that "proves" it must be the server. And generally a server issue has an much larger effect than a 3 page thread writen over the period over 3 months talking about different servers. And you are one of THREE people who reported some lag issues at some point in that thread in this month. I'm sure the problems are real... but I'm not convinced there is a big server issue going on at the moment with this. Even this thread is a week old and barely has any traction. So even though there is always the chance there is something up with BWs servers, I just don't see enough evidence to support it is an actual server issue and not something else.

I believe the handful of people that have posted here do have lag issues, I just think it's jumping the gun that it has to be the server when people's reasoning is "I checked my hardware and it's all connected properly, therefore it must be the DM server". That's just not sound reasoning, sorry.