Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

No More Disney Star Wars References in this EU Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
No More Disney Star Wars References in this EU Game

DarthDymond
01.01.2020 , 10:06 PM | #71
/disagree

I've enjoyed the New Canon's updated "takes" on many Legends / old EU characters, locations, etc., such as Thrawn, TIE Defenders, Death Watch, Ilum, and so on. I think this game introducing a Legends-continuity take on some of the new content from the Canon is an excellent opportunity to put a potentially interesting spin on those elements. I'd love to see a Legends iteration of something like Ardennians, Tarre Vizsla, or Bracca.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

bassfu
01.08.2020 , 10:29 PM | #72
I'd rather they fix the janky canned animations they use in cutscenes than worry about nitpicking over whether some unnoticed remark had something to do with the new movies.

Willjb
01.09.2020 , 07:59 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Tofu_Shark View Post
It's come to my attention, Bioware, that you have slipped in references to Disney's Star Wars within the game. Outfits and weapons were toeing the line, this is sticking the tip of the nail over it:
  • Gatalentan tea and the world it comes from
  • A reference being interpreted by some as a possible reference to Ahch-to in the Republic Jedi Under Siege story

Players, if you know of any others, please share them in this thread.

This game is every EU fan's last refuge from Disney. Here, we can pretend the EU was never relegated as non-canon and the sequel trilogy, those awful standalone movies, and the poor imitation of Battlefront never happened.

Please do not make any more references to Disney's Star Wars. Disney has no place in an EU game. Keep their stuff out of an EU game. You are playing with fire by putting the streams dangerously close together, to mix metaphors.
^-1, OPPOSED: just because you don't like it, doesn't mean other players shouldn't enjoy it if they want. I love my cross guard lightsabers and would pay whatever BioWare wants for a ToR version of Kylo Ren's robes and The Mandalorian full Beskar armor.

dodongamping
01.10.2020 , 11:58 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Willjb View Post
^-1, OPPOSED: just because you don't like it, doesn't mean other players shouldn't enjoy it if they want. I love my cross guard lightsabers and would pay whatever BioWare wants for a ToR version of Kylo Ren's robes and The Mandalorian full Beskar armor.
I personally do not care for the cross guard sabers. However, I think the game would benefit from a healthy mix of Disney and EU elements. I would like to see Darth Nihl's single bladed staff saber. Disney gave it a nice twist (intended or not) with the pike. Ezra's hybrid saber/stun blaster would make a nice addition as well but that would be a whole other class of its own. Probably a mix between a Jedi and a smuggler.

The Mandalorian's Beskar armor isn't too far off from the EU's Beskar'gam. There had been many versions that there's really no standard design aside from the unmistakeable "T" shaped visor on the helmets. As long as that's present, they can dress Yuuzhan Vong in tutu's for all I care. Disney is winning for a reason. But that can't take away a true fan's love for the EU and pre-Disney canon.

Just like Facebook, if you see something you don't like, scroll on move on.

Tharandil
01.23.2020 , 02:02 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by dodongamping View Post
"T" shaped visor on the helmets
Exept for the distinct differences between male and female helmets since the clone wars tv series...

Please use my signature link and I'll be grateful!
Use my Referral Link for a Free Bundle and 7 Day Subscription
http://www.swtor.com/r/3yFZKg

JediQuaker
02.09.2020 , 11:37 AM | #76
As a Star Wars fan - or, maybe, ex-fan - I've been very disappointed with Disney's version. The movie franchise is essentially dead to me.
However, also, I would appear to be not a "true" SW fan because I know nothing of the EU, or any of the animated series or comics. Nor do I watch "The Mandalorian". Nor do I care about it to that extent.

Nowadays, I still enjoy playing SWTOR and I don't care (or know, most of the time) where things come from, whether it's the so called "EU" or Disney.
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Referral code - http://www.swtor.com/r/dZ8wSV

wainot-keel
02.13.2020 , 01:29 PM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
As a Star Wars fan - or, maybe, ex-fan - I've been very disappointed with Disney's version. The movie franchise is essentially dead to me.
However, also, I would appear to be not a "true" SW fan because I know nothing of the EU, or any of the animated series or comics. Nor do I watch "The Mandalorian". Nor do I care about it to that extent.

Nowadays, I still enjoy playing SWTOR and I don't care (or know, most of the time) where things come from, whether it's the so called "EU" or Disney.
Kinda in the same boat. I have zero knowledge of the EU. But for me Star Wars ended with ROTJ, the movie where Palpatine died and the Death Star was like, I don't know... vaporized ?

Now, when it comes to swtor if it is that chump's lightsaber we're talking about, meh.... I don't care. But if I start seeing objects being teleported through force skype... ugh.... really ?

Tofu_Shark
03.29.2020 , 05:42 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Tharandil View Post
Exept for the distinct differences between male and female helmets since the clone wars tv series...
This is getting off-topic, but this must be addressed.

That could be handwaved as the Nite Owls having a distinct look to their helmets, but I don't recall the portrayal of any other armored, female Mandalorians in the show. If there were and they weren't Nite Owls (and I don't remember) and they were shown with those helmets it would be problematic, as one could only conclude that they did that for the animation, because Force forbid if the female Mandalorians wearing a suit of armor cannot be easily distinguished from the males.

Eyes (or in this case, a visor) are a common way to visually represent differences between male and female characters in animation. It would be the dominant culture asserting itself over the representation of female Mandalorians. (See here for a deeper explanation, only in the context of race/ethnicity instead of sex and gender.) If it was a specific organization of Mandalorians, which it seems to be, that would be different.

However, there are male members of the Nite Owls, and they do not have the flared visor that the females possess. I don't recall any other time female Mandalorians were depicted on the show and that is troubling. If it was only the leader of the Nite Owls that had a different visor, it could be explained as a "hero model," something different or in greater detail to distinguish an important character from the others, but that's not the case.

I hope someone with better knowledge of the show's details can point out female, armor-clad Mandalorians that aren't part of the Nite Owls. Otherwise, the only conclusion that can be drawn is the female Nite Owls have the flared visor to immediately identify them as "not male," which asserts that the norm is male.
If I've been helpful or you liked my post, click my referral link
Also if you just want some free stuff.
Of course, I get something out of it too.