Is "Win Trading" against the rules?

Starkweather

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we allowed to trade victories in PVP?

If not, what is being done to eradicate the practice of "Win Trading" in PVP?

If "Win Trading" is against the rules, players should be properly educated in regards to the practical and ethical consequences of this activity.

It is not a matter of "allowed." The system cannot mechanically stop it and there is no way to prove it conclusively, so there is little that can be done if/when it happens.

Id think BW would possibly see this as an exploit if they could prove that it was being coordinated. Though your intentions may be good and only desire wins for coms, they may see it as manipulating and unfairly representing your ratings which would (according to them) result in prizes at the end of the season(s). May be a question to ask the support staff directly.

• Dev Post
Are we allowed to trade victories in PVP?

If not, what is being done to eradicate the practice of "Win Trading" in PVP?

If "Win Trading" is against the rules, players should be properly educated in regards to the practical and ethical consequences of this activity.

This is a really great question. Win trading is absolutely something we consider against the rules. We talk about this a little more in our Season 1 blog (which will come out tomorrow or next week). In short, if you are caught win trading or doing any other activity that can be considered exploitive to boost your rating, your rating will be reset at the end of the season and you will not receive any rewards. We take the competitive nature of Arenas very seriously and we have a no tolerance policy on users who work to abuse the system.

-eric

This is a really great question. Win trading is absolutely something we consider against the rules. We talk about this a little more in our Season 1 blog (which will come out tomorrow or next week). In short, if you are caught win trading or doing any other activity that can be considered exploitive to boost your rating, your rating will be reset at the end of the season and you will not receive any rewards. We take the competitive nature of Arenas very seriously and we have a no tolerance policy on users who work to abuse the system.

-eric

Careful Eric. You've been busy today. We might actually start to like you.

Bravo Eric. I assume Solo Q-Syncing will be similarly considered an exploit, since...well...it is.

Edited by DarthOvertone

-eric

Lol , u don't take it seriously, u don't even show love to the ranked scene. Almost nobody is playing them anymore...

-eric

not to be THAT GUY, but if they're win TRADING then they're not helping their rating. they're taking turns giving each other wins. they're not going to be inline for any kind of ratings related rewards in the first place by doing that.

imo, win trading is a bit of a waste of time, but it doesn't hurt anyone else the way superQing does. oops! can'O'worms. :o

Edited by foxmob

not to be THAT GUY, but if they're win TRADING then they're not helping their rating. they're taking turns giving each other wins. they're not going to be inline for any kind of ratings related rewards in the first place by doing that.

Pretty sure the guilty parties switch to Alts when they are to be farmed. At least that's what I saw when players were doing it in-house.

imo, win trading is a bit of a waste of time, but it doesn't hurt anyone else the way superQing does. oops! can'O'worms. :o

Well, how about this scenario: Lose the games on their alts and win on mains. Both teams doing the trading do this and now their mains' ratings skyrocket.

Edited by PhatMcMuffins

Pretty sure the guilty parties switch to Alts when they are to be farmed. At least that's what I saw when players were doing it in-house.

fair enough. not what I witnessed with the guilds I knew were doing it. they were just gearing up faster. but yeah. good point.

-eric

I remember when EA/BW said that Valor farming on Ilum was something they took seriously...

On topic:

Yeah this scenario sucks, but there is nothing they can do about it. Provided they are at the keyboard and playing the WZ as intended (which is literally just ATK), you will not see a single instance where someone is punished via the way Eric describes.

It is not a matter of "allowed." The system cannot mechanically stop it and there is no way to prove it conclusively, so there is little that can be done if/when it happens.

The only thing that can really be done is that BW completely ditches any attempts to develop open world PVP because it has become obvious that most PVP'ers are more interested in win-trading to get their loot/gear faster than actually PVP'ing. This is why every attempt at open world PVP in the past has failed and why they basically gave up trying to make it work.

-eric

Since when did the Devs grow a spine when it comes to PvP and start caring about specifics? I'm not a hardcore PvPer but you earned some respect from me today.

We take the competitive nature of Arenas very seriously and we have a no tolerance policy on users who work to abuse the system.

-eric

I think it would be impossible to stop win trading unless there was cross-server.

All you have to do is stop que'ing after a loss to cut your losses and remember to continue que'ing after a win in order to get the same group of people again and win again. Without cross-server, teams are stacked and limited, so there will be medicore groups who have extremely high ratings because they are just really nice to the people they beat and don't que themselves when losing.

Well, how about this scenario: Lose the games on their alts and win on mains. Both teams doing the trading do this and now their mains' ratings skyrocket.

The only problem with this (for solo queue at least) is that it randomly puts people on your team so you may be on the team with the alt who is supposed to lose.

Also if the alt loses enough an gets farmed the people winning are going to get less rewards because they are facing low rated players.

I'm curious OP what makes you think trading wins is happening? Is someone /stucking after a match starts?

Sigh, these rules. I'm not a PvP player but I really don't see an issue here. If that's how some people want to game, who's that hurting? It's not like they're hacking. I'll compare this type of rubbish with a PVE scenario. When BW didn't like that raids would use a couple Marauder's Bloodthirst back to back they added a debuff to prevent it. This bottlenecking discourages creativity. It's bad enough the game is a very linear process but then they even want you to learn 'their way' when figuring out how to make it through the harder group and raid content.

• 8 months later...
Sigh, these rules. I'm not a PvP player but I really don't see an issue here. If that's how some people want to game, who's that hurting?

Because this is competition. Win trading is the internet version of fixing baseball games or somesuch. Its not fair to the people that are legitimately trying to prove their skill.

Your post shows one of the fundamental disconnects between PvP'ers and PvE'ers. PvP'ers tend to place more value on the means, while PvE'ers tend to focus more on the ends.

Edited by Zoom_VI