Suicides after combat damage - do something to discourage it

Lord_Ghaleon

Can we please do something about doing a great job dogfighting someone and then when you get them down to <10 health they just fly into a wall on purpose to avoid getting killed? Really discouraging. Needs to be some sort of negative effect to suicides in space PVP. Like -1 to their kill total or +30 seconds to respawn after you take damage from an enemy. Need something to discourage folks from doing it. Hardly see any kills in space because of this.

It only matters for scoreboard padding. Your team still gets +1 score for the kill, you get an assist, they go down 1 ship regardless of how.

Yeah, its still a chickens way out, personally I've never done it on purpose (have activated engine abilities and killed myself misjudging) but in the end it doesn't make any difference.

Can we please do something about doing a great job dogfighting someone and then when you get them down to <10 health they just fly into a wall on purpose to avoid getting killed? Really discouraging. Needs to be some sort of negative effect to suicides in space PVP. Like -1 to their kill total or +30 seconds to respawn after you take damage from an enemy. Need something to discourage folks from doing it. Hardly see any kills in space because of this.

well you get an assist (which the game considers as of equal value to a kill) and it gives your team a point toward victory.

Not saying it isn't a cheap tactic though.

...when you get them down to <10 health they just fly into a wall on purpose ...

How can you tell they do it on purpose?

I crash at least once or twice per game, because of a combination of ****** control and way too crowded space. Not a single crash was "on purpose".

Considering all those "the controls suck" threads I'm quite sure 80-90% of all crashes aren't intentional.

The only way kills differ from assists is the former counts toward the 'X kills in a single match' achievement, and you can only get that once, if you even care at all.

Other than that, be glad he suicided. It saved you a few seconds (and maybe some ammo) that you can now use to fight someone else.

Well the Game is not all about the kills you get , it is objective based yes the score board puts the one with most kills on the top , but if your playing for just kills you will not win! personally I do it as well get low health tag a few and have them chase me away from a node so team mates can tag the node , then i fly into something when on fire just so the do not get the kill. and then they have to fly all the way back wasting engine power on the chase instead of capping or guarding a node. :) Edited by Seagro

award a Kill rather than an assist to teh player who dealt >50% of damage to the ship that suicided?

i've had numerous opponents slam themselves into a wall once they realised I had them. would up with 10 assists for 0 kills in one match.....

No. You didn't kill them, you don't get the kill. Tough.

You did 90% before they self-destructed? Should have done the other 10% too. Otherwise it's only an assist. Your damage done appears in full, your team still gets the points, and you earn as many rewards.

Egotistic demands to inflate kill numbers by adding non-kills aren't worth indulging.

They could always make it so that ships don't take damage if they hit something. They can already fly right through each other, why couldn't they just bounce off of things like asteroids and satellites... Just saying.

You run into something, you spin out of control for a few seconds, then recover and keep on flying. Or, get blown to bits by the guy still chasing you... :D

Someone who suicides to "deny you a kill" doesn't really help his cause or hurt yours.

The problem is the tactical suicide is generally too strong. Ex: you are out of missiles. No way to reload, and the moment your satellite is safe you run into it. With fast respawn, you are back in the action with missiles.

Essentially the game needs a slightly larger death penalty or benefit granted to the enemy team.

Sometimes trying to get away I might accidentally run into something; retro thrusting or other move might push me into a wall I did not know was there. You can not punish people for this because those who might do it on accident will also be affected. If the player wants to take themselves out then that is their choice and not a judgement you should be making.

Even if they are pulling a "banzai" to deny another player a kill, well, so what? I mean, it is a little chicken-s&$t, but whatever, it doesn't really affect the match except to the other side's slight advantage.

If they are hawking the boards SO much that they'd rather have to re-spawn than give a kill, then they suck as team players.

Of course, they MIGHT be suiciding so that they can come back with a fresh, full load of missiles and a new hull...which is also a bit lame, but at least more understandable.