Yes. I want WOW with Wookies and Lightsabers.

Chosenxeno

I came from EQ that had no add ons. I continue to not use addons as "you cant teach an old dog new tricks" hehe.

I played the whole of 7 years+ in WoW with no addons really, HC modes most end game content from Vanilla to Cata. Dot timers i never used, its just naturel for me to count in my head sort of automatically. Everything you need to know the game provides and they are not needed. I am used to playing like that but new MMO community members are used to addons.

Having said that, I am not against Addons and think now as times have changed they need to add as much as possible to the game to cater for everyone.

All the addons you mentioned do no harm really and should be introduced. What I never liked was Deadly Boss Mods, it just felt like an addon playing the game for you.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

everquest had macros from the beginning and UI customization and add-ons years before wow came out. wow was accessible in some areas and inaccessible in others. casual players weren't conquering all of wow's endgame content.

wow's success came from marketing, a well-known brand, and people's familiarity with the MMO market but it didn't innovate the genre.

I share the same opinion. I wanted a WoW copy set in the SW universe. EA killed Warhammer. They will do the same to this game. SWTOR will hover at around 500K subs and it will make them money but will be considered a total failure by the community. I'll wait for that Warhammer 40K MMO.

WAR isent dead, you're just not playing it, just like TOR wont die, you probaly gonna stop playing tho, and think its dead.

I'm bold enough to say it. There is no changing my mind. I want Addons. I want Macros. I want LFD. I won't be beating around the bush like a few of the WOW players around here. I really don't put much stock into what strangers on the internet think of me. I WANT WOW WITH LIGHTSABERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW players are the Largest MMO playerbase. It would be foolish of Bioware and EA to not cater to us. Whatever MMO you came from that wasn't WOW is a Failure end of story. Bioware needs to follow the Model of the most successful MMO in history. They do not need to follow the model of whatever Niche... Garbage... Masochistic MMO you came from. From a business perspective it just doesn't make sense.

I love macros. Makes my Job easier. I don't wanna have to press every button on my Keyboard.

I love Parsers. My being at the top of the HPS gives other healers something to shoot for. Your being at the bottom of the DPS for a boss, that we have now wiped on for the 5th time because, you can't seem to put out the DPS on par of people that you have somehow managed to out gear gives me a reason to kick you. It's your Guild's Job to carry you. Not mine.

I love Addons. I wanna know down to the very last millisecond when my hot is gonna fall off. I hate where that tooltip is and I want it moved!

I love LFD. I have tried 2 days in a Row to run the Heroic 4 on Nar Shadaa(?) on multiple occasions. Abandon Quest move on to Alderaan. I had to zone out of Mandolorian Raiders and Spam to replace a DPS at the final boss after Spamming to get a group for a half an hour as a HEALER. The people who don't want this have an odd idea of fun.

People whining about Addons, Parsers, Macros and LFD need only to look at Rift to see what happens when you move too slowly to include these thing, half of which, should have been in at launch.

We take your advice and we "Go back to WOW". Suddenly friends and Guildees you leveled with vanish from their respective lists. Bioware needs to decide whether they want guests or tenants.

INB4 the EQ players. Be sure to mention how WOW nuked EQ before it had all the things I listed above. Also don't neglect to mention that EQ was pretty much killed by WOW it's 1st competitor in a state that you find acceptable(No Addons and a huge time sink. People raided 6 days a week back then and now they raid 4. Choose life.)

I'm absolutely serious too. I am not trolling. This is what I want this is what the Majority(Trust me WOW players are the Majority right now. Read the Forums or Join a guild) of people want but they are afraid to say it outright. I'm not. Become more WOW-Like(As far as Streamlining I do not want to see Undead again as long as I live..or dwarves or Elves!!) or fail.

As far as the people who claim that they will leave if these things are implemented, you were probably going to leave when GW2 came out anyway. I'm sick of all these "MMO of the Month" WOW haters that have never done anything in other games whining. They slowed down things in Rift with their nonsense and by the time Rift Implemented things that people expect in a Modern MMORPG it was too late.

You know what man? I respect you being straight up about it and honest. I disagree, I don't want "WoW with Wookies and Lightsabers"; I hope you will be as respectful of my opinion and understand that not everyone will be pleased no matter where the future is.

To that effect I think "playing SWTOR for SWTOR" will likely lead to better enjoyment instead of lamenting what it doesn't have that WoW did.

everquest had macros from the beginning and UI customization and add-ons years before wow came out. wow was accessible in some areas and inaccessible in others. casual players weren't conquering all of wow's endgame content.

wow's success came from marketing, a well-known brand, and people's familiarity with the MMO market but it didn't innovate the genre.

HAAHHAHAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH.

The success of WoW(and continued success) came directly from the design and play of the world and the game that could sustain and interest that many people. Nothing more, nothing less. To call it not innovative to the genre is like saying Star Wars wasn't innovative to moviemaking. This game would be *happy* if it holds 1 million subscribers for more than a month, a figure thats 8% of the total WoW population at its peak. Regardless of anything else, that game brought millions of customers to this industry where previously they numbered in the hundreds of thousands(and still tend to with the exception of WoW) and on that basis alone it was extremely innovative.

The funny part is people keep clamoring for a LFD tool and I can't understand it. Why would you need one in a single player game? Why would you need macros when the gameplay comes down to hitting one or two buttons? Obviously Bioware knows their game a heck of a lot better than you do.

Alright this kind of crap is beyond irritating at this point.

World of Warcraft is NOT the game everyone is looking for.

Its not the game everyone wants to play.

And whatever ******** you want to bring with you from that place needs to stay where it belongs.

IN WOW, NOT HERE.

Just listen to yourself.

You want to be able to boot people who aren't doing things your way, tell people its their guilds' job to carry them, not yours. You want to be able to pick and choose your game mates, and then be a douche to the rest. In essence, you want to be pampered and pandered to.

You epitomize why I hated playing world of warcraft so much. World of warcraft was full of people just like you. Emo-raging drama queens who need DPS meters for scapegoating, gear score ranks for excluding others, and 3rd party macros so you don't have to push buttons. And let me tell you, there's nothing more frustrating than having to group with ******es like you. You guys always know how to kill a game.

11 million subsribers doesn't mean ****. There's probably over 11 million people alone in the United States who are addicted to some sort of narcotic, and even after the effects of the narcotics have long since lost their potency, they still use them just to feel normal.

why there atleast isn't a global LFG channel yet is beyond me.

my character is level 41 and so far ive only done each flashpoint once, exept for Maelstrom prison, seeing as after 1 hour of searching, i said, **** this.

but yeah, addons is needed, the current UI is horrible.

you're kidding, right? no one here is longing for the days of everquest. unfortunately, most people on this forum missed out on it. i just bring up everquest every time someone mentions wow because there's nothing innovative about wow. everquest was a much better game but it just didn't have the brand name needed to garner the type success wow has had.

it's not the wow days anymore either.

no really, it wasn't a better game. Just a different game, one that had far less appeal. And the lack of appeal had nothing to do with WoW's branding, it had to do with the novel idea that people should be able to solo effectively.

ironically, wow went the route that made questing a bigger deal, since EQ leveling was all about grinding static spawning mobs rather than questing

I don't know that accessibility is really a risk when trying to reach a broader audience ;)
It's because that broader audience weren't yet MMO players. So the risk is that even by making it more accessible, you may not be able to draw them in, and since it's not hardcore enough, it doesn't attract the hardcores the way that the hardcore game does.

So wow got a huge infux of new MMO gamers due to the accessibility, but was also able to draw in some of the hardcores. For example, the folks I knew in township rebellion beat EQ (having geared even alts) and then went to play WoW while there was nothing else for them to do.

Edited by ferroz

If you wanna play WoW, then play WoW.

Its as simple as that.

Mechanics of Accessibility =\= Content

I don't care if anyone here enjoys WoW or not, but they had a lot of good ideas in that game. It would be prudent to implement those good ideas in other games so that the genre as a whole improves.

Edited by Dusksoverture

Yeah! Why can't SW:TOR be more like WOW? Why can't it be WOW? Why can't I pay EA to play WOW? That seems fair because I'm me and I want it to be easy for me since everything is all about me. And while I'm on the subject of me, and catering to me and my whims, why aren't there more Undead like in WOW? Goodness gracious, why can't WOW be more like WOW?

And pandas? Let's not forget them. :cool:

*Sigh* I am not kidding. There totally needs to be a Moaner Folder for these types of posts to go and gather dust....

I just wish they would hurry up and add Deathknights! Oh and Rogues too. Undead rogue = I am too cool for school :p

Man this thread got huge. I have returned from work and my opinion has not changed. I will say it again. WOW players are the majority of this game's base at the moment. WOW players will be the Majority of almost every MMO after.

Stop begging the Developers to model their game after you craptastic..masochistic fail MMOs.

This game needs LFD, Addons , Parsers and Macros or it will fail. <--These are all Advancements and the reason this game will fail if it does not implement these things in a timely fashion.

Going back to WOW isn't a punishment like you people seem to think it is. I have no problem at all going back to the number 1 MMORPG ever. I wouldn't mind something different, but if that different is something that is regressed and stubbornly ignores the advancement made in the genre i'll pass.

There is absolutely no reason for this game to lack something as basic as Macros and a customizable UI when single player RPGs now offer them. They are staples.

I am not asking for WOW's Lore, WOW's Classes, WOW's Art Direction or WOW's Zone. I'm asking for it's better Streamlined experience, in a game I could see myself loving, if it would just stop getting in my damn way.

I came to this game seeking WOW with Lightsabers and Wookies. Instead; I have found Spaceballs...a parody of the genre.

Man this thread got huge. I have returned from work and my opinion has not changed. I will say it again. WOW players are the majority of this game's base at the moment. WOW players will be the Majority of almost every MMO after.

And you've pulled this pseudo-fact out of where ... ?

no really, it wasn't a better game. Just a different game, one that had far less appeal. And the lack of appeal had nothing to do with WoW's branding, it had to do with the novel idea that people should be able to solo effectively.

ironically, wow went the route that made questing a bigger deal, since EQ leveling was all about grinding static spawning mobs rather than questing

you're comparing the appeal of a game that was the first of its kind to the appeal of a game that came out years later.

you're comparing the appeal of a game that was the first of its kind to the appeal of a game that came out years later.

It is sort of funny that they keep chalking this game up with WoW and EQ.

I'm reminded more of City of Heroes when I play this. It feels alot more like that actually.

Just keep playing WoW -- maybe one day they'll make playable sasquatchs and give you glowing fire swords.

I mean, if they ripped of Kung-Fu Panda, then maybe they'll rip-ff Star Wars too.

Fact: Pandaren Monks were in Warcraft 3. A game that existed long before Kung Fu Panda.

Fact: You don't know what you are talking about.

Fact: You are not funny.

Fact: You exemplify the need for licensing in order to log on the internet.

Y'know, and though I loathe to use the term since it's so childish, but I can't shake the feeling that those railing against DPS meters are bads. Did you guys get yelled at because your DPS was crap?

You know, the trick here is improving yourself, not shout at the gods for being forced to play with people who dare tell you that you should know *** you're doing with your class.

I was playing with a shadowpriest once, and since I had just leveled one myself I noticed how horrid his damage was. I mean, seriously, people were hitting 6k and he was at 1k.

Now, I know, I know, all the people against DPS meters are frothing at the mouth when I say this. If the guy wanted to do 1k DPS that's his deal, right? How dared we point it out he was doing terribad?

Well, since I had just leveled one myself I gently asked, 'Dude (because I'm really a California surfer at heart), your DPS is pretty bad, what's your rotation?' The names of the skills elude me atm, but he was basically laying down his DoTs and then using a skill that removed them for a small spike of damage. Against normal mobs and soloing it might even be okay, but against mobs with a larger HP pool it was being crap.

Once we pointed this out he dramatically improved.

I know, I know, how dared we help him improve in ways to do more damage and save up his mana. We should all be hanged.

P.S. As for the others saying if we liked WoW's features so much then why aren't we there? This is either an attempt at being funny or you're really really dumb. I will try to believe it is the first.

What people are asking is features, not the same stale game. I don't give piss about an Horde an Alliance soap opera slowly languishing over the years with no end in sight. I don't want to play more of a fantasy setting with more and more steampunk thrown in.

What we're saying is, we have two cars. One has air conditioning and electric windows, the other has not. We don't want to go back to the old car. We want the new one, which *IS* spiffy *AND* superior (I'm trying to subtly point out that I love SWTOR to bits, both in theme, story, graphics and gameplay), but we would really like to have them electric windows and air conditioning too.

Edited by CedricDur

Alright this kind of crap is beyond irritating at this point.

World of Warcraft is NOT the game everyone is looking for.

Its not the game everyone wants to play.

And whatever ******** you want to bring with you from that place needs to stay where it belongs.

IN WOW, NOT HERE.

But TOR already has a number of elements that I enjoyed from WoW. The gameplay is very similar, there's plenty of solo-content just like WoW, there's a tank-healer-dps setup similar to WoW, the class trees work like WoW, chatting is remarkably similar to WoW, battlegrounds are similar to warzones, flashpoints are similar to instances. If someone wanted something totally divorced from WoW, they'd be playing something more like Eve: Online, not TOR.

Just listen to yourself.

You want to be able to boot people who aren't doing things your way, tell people its their guilds' job to carry them, not yours. You want to be able to pick and choose your game mates, and then be a douche to the rest. In essence, you want to be pampered and pandered to.

Wait, you think it's wrong to want to pick and choose who you group with? I don't see how you're going to get around that in TOR. So long as content is challenging enough that people can wipe, there will always be some assessment of people's performance. As it is now we're more in a Vanilla WoW environment, where poor players are going to be scrutinized far more than in current WoW. Any poor player can land himself in LFR in WoW right now, but if a person messes up in enough operations in TOR, and that person is going to get black-listed by the main guilds quite easily. Give yourself a poor enough name, and eventually your only recourse is to reroll.

You epitomize why I hated playing world of warcraft so much. World of warcraft was full of people just like you. Emo-raging drama queens who need DPS meters for scapegoating, gear score ranks for excluding others, and 3rd party macros so you don't have to push buttons. And let me tell you, there's nothing more frustrating than having to group with ******es like you. You guys always know how to kill a game.

I never had such problems myself. Never really used dps meters, haven't used any GS addon for years, and for the most part my WoW experience existed of logging on and people asking me if I wanted to heal for them. If you felt forced to group with people you didn't like, that usually means weren't able to make many friends or get into any decent guilds.

11 million subsribers doesn't mean ****. There's probably over 11 million people alone in the United States who are addicted to some sort of narcotic, and even after the effects of the narcotics have long since lost their potency, they still use them just to feel normal.

We're not comparing mmos to completely unrelated substances, though, we're comparing one themepark mmo to another themepark mmo. Within that context numbers do count for something, unless you think Bioware is purposefully going for a niche model. Given their past games and what they've done thus far for TOR, I'd say they're going after the casual market, and thus far WoW's done the best at getting such subscribers.

so why aren't the wow players who want this things in swtor playing wow?

Because SWTOR has a completely different questing system, classes, setting, lore, sound effects and graphics?

Mechanics of Accessibility =\= Content

Why is this such a difficult a concept to grasp?

And you've pulled this pseudo-fact out of where ... ?

Read the Forums or Join a Guild. WOW had a Pool of players that peaked at 12 million. The MMO players are all the same people. Look around and see how many people have played Multiple MMOs. It' a conclusion a child could draw with a Crayola Crayon. The Majority of people playing this game atm are Ex or Current WOW. Any attempt to dispute that is a ridiculous.