DPS Dojo with Sensei Aetrus

Aetrus

Salutations, friends (and dirty Republic pansies.) Most of you know me as the anal-loving PvPholic who haunts WZs for about ten hours every night because screw productive use of time and any semblance at time management skills.

I've decided to start a 'DPS Dojo' program for players in PvP who need help with certain specs or classes. You can be a brand new 55 dying a dozen times per game and feeling totally lost, or a veteran PvPer who's just leveled or is leveling a new class, wants to play an unfamiliar spec, and just isn't getting the hang of it. If I play it well, I'll help you. For a fee (I was thinking 50k/half hour, prices entirely negotiable...if you really need the help and are new, I'll do it for free.)

Not only will I (if you need it) cover the basics of the importance of using hotkeys and how to move your character in a warzone or arena, but I'll also breakdown skill tree setups, stats to shoot for on your gear, positioning to maximize your DPS, how to play each of the maps, how to assess threats and targets, and even matchups (par example: did you know that a Mercenary should always beat a Marauder? Or that a Lightning Sorcerer struggles against nearly every class, while a Madness Sorcerer can outplay almost any spec 1v1?) More than just telling you what the skill tree looks like or how your gear should look or how to play on certain maps, I'll emphasize why that is the case. Understanding is the key to learning, and learning is the key to growing. In this case, as a PvPer.

The classes and specs I can help with are:

Assassin: Deception, Madness.

Juggernaut: Vengeance.

Marauder: Annihilation, Carnage, Rage.

Powertech: Advanced Prototype, Pyrotech.

Sorcerer: Lightning, Lightning Hybrid, Madness.

Sniper: Lethality, Marksman.

If you're a class or a spec that I didn't list above, I would suggest not coming to me for help. While I would still be able to talk about fundamentals, if I didn't list it, I don't play it (at 55) and thus wouldn't be as qualified to discuss nuances as someone else who did.

Finally, for those who don't know me, you might be wondering who I am and if I can really help you. I enjoy competitive PvP, in a lot of different games...most of which I don't suck at. My recent gaming adventures started in Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty, where I hit Platinum (back when Diamond was the highest, pre-Master and Grandmaster divisions). After that I played League of Legends, where I hit 1800 elo in season 2 maining jungle and mid lane. I've been playing TOR for a year now, and some of these specs, like Deception Assassin, I have been playing for the entire time. I did 8v8 ranked with two different teams. In arenas before the leaderboard reset my Powertech had a 1600 solo queue rating. And currently I am the #1 ranked PT/Vanguard (my main) in solo queue as well as group for the server. I also took second place in the Absolute Bracket of the RoH Server-wide Dueling Tournament held in March 2014. I play with some of the best players and teams on the server and am confident enough to make a thread with the specific purpose of teaching other players to be better at PvP.

My level 55 toons are listed below in my signature, all of whom are Imperials (EDIT: not true anymore. I now have a sentinel and vanguard at 55!.) Feel free to contact me whenever you see them online if you're interested in my dojo program (or programme, for those foxy Aussies who may be reading this.) Good luck and happy warzoning, Jung Ma.

Edited by Aetrus

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pub side definitely needs help in this regard. I have witnessed way too many people jumping around instead of using their skills and doing an epic panic-driven backpedalling marathon as soon as they get attacked. Not that I have not witnessed similar things from Imperials as well, but they are far more competitive than last time I played, which is a good thing.

Such a Carebear. Oh and you messed up one thing...

That should be better. Hopefully it doesn't get censored though >.>

I did not mess it up. It's only Annigalation when you, me, or Crypticus play it. No one else is worthy.

I play with some of the best players and teams on the server

Let's be honest here, the two teams you play with the most (SDSG and Vicious/Shots Fired) suck a *********** fat one. Your whole post becomes uncredible because of that sentence.

• 2 weeks later...
Updated OP with Sniper: Lethality as far as class/specs go.

I hope you realize, Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Grenade is not the proper rotation for lethality....

I hope you realize, Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Grenade > Corrosive Grenade is not the proper rotation for lethality....

So...all this time Gbro was lying to me?

Can you teach me how not to get globaled as a Madness Sorc? It seems to happen with melee classes the most.

I.E Assassin,

Please don't say use barrier or learn to kite. Those are obvious.

Learn to kite. Play with friends who can peel for you.

Can you teach me how not to get globaled as a Madness Sorc? It seems to happen with melee classes the most.

I.E Assassin,

Yeah, I think I can do that. I don't recognize your forum name but I would say that if you're playing properly and you have equal gear, the Madness Sorc vs. Deception Sin matchup is not nearly so one-sided in the Sin's favor. I'd even be willing to demonstrate against Rivik. Or hop on my assassin and maybe see what you're doing wrong there. I've done the latter before (against Terra from Forsaken) but she insisted it was a gear and a class imbalance problem, instead of a player problem. 90% of the time if you lose it's your fault. And only by thinking of situations in that fashion can you improve your own play. So I'd be happy to take a look at what your skill tree looks like (taking the 10% extra absorb for Static Barrier is a must for Madness) and what kind of rotation you're using against melees which are allowing them to global you. Also, even though you told me not to say it, kiting is imperative for a Madness player. It's the best kiting spec in the game, and if you aren't utilizing that strength then you aren't playing the class to its full potential.

We can talk more in-game if you want.

I.E Assassin,

People seem to use the word globaled wrong a lot. It's impossible to get globaled by one person. Anyways, are you talking in duels? Arenas? Warzones? Duels are stupid so stop caring about those. Everyone thinks duels show if you are good or not and I'd take Rivv over basically any sentinel/marauder on this server and he sucks big nuts at dueling. Don't get me wrong, dueling is probably what helped me excel passed others as it helped me learn the other classes and how to counter them. (It takes time so be patient) So if that's your reasoning behind dueling, then do it. In arenas (if there is no tank), you are obviously going to be focused first so ask the other three members to peel for you. In 8 v 8s, positioning and kiting is probably the most important (imo) for sorcs. In arenas it's difficult because there aren't as many LOS points and it's a 4 v 4, not an 8 v 8, so you are not going to be able to get away with the things you do in 8 v 8s. Yes, sorcs definitely get the short end of the stick with defensive cooldowns but they're still viable. Imo, the only people who can complain about sorcs are the healers. Main advice I'd give you is to find a good 4 man group you like running with, that is a good composition of course (typically 1 healer, 1 tank, 2 dps) and get together in some sort of voice chat and start communicating with each other. It helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...