Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

You Have Been Replaced


aerockyul's Avatar


aerockyul
01.30.2019 , 05:41 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardrossan View Post
I live in Western Canada. The game is slow and lags for me too. I don't undervalue his problem. What I lack sympathy for is people who ragequit dramatically [as if there's any other kind] twice in a week.

I lack sympathy for other things too, but to go off Yillarus' point, it's mainly based on how they present themselves. So the other day there's a thread about a guild perk that's showing up in pvp, and obviously a bug. I pvp so the issue is not unimportant to me. The 'strategy' they decide upon is to spam the forum with identical threads because apparently that really helps! That is just one way of how you turn someone who may have been sympathetic, deeply unsympathetic. Yes, let's spam the forum so our niche pvp issue will take center stage. Good thinking, guys!

Your point is that ultimately BW is to blame. It sure is. My point is that if you have a big, available target for people to direct feedback to [say, a once well-loved and now increasingly incompetent subdivision of EA], it seems really dumb to set yourselves up as a target in their place, by doing something likely to piss people off MORE than they're pissed off at the bigger target.
You are completely right about this
I live in a city where protests are very common--and there's no easier and quicker way to piss off the people who would actually agree with your point than to block them in their vehicles in any way on the street/highway. They're actually more likely to run you over at that point without a care in the world than even mutter "good for you for standing up for your convictions"

Same deal here--blaming/hating/minimizing the person complaining or the argument they're making, even if you agree with it, simply because they're doing it in a way that you don't agree with. In this case, you don't like the "spam" in the discussion threads (that move less and less frequently every day, so...what's the problem for you?) much like the driver in the luxury SUV doesn't like being blocked from their ten-minute drive to McDonald's by people protesting fairness in whatever social issue that actually has importance in the real world, and will literally start pushing people with their vehicle and get cheered on by idiots watching that on TV.

Now I know this is just a discussion forum for a game that isn't real life and you might personally never actually cheer for the ******* "pushing" protestors out of the way, I'm just saying it's a similar situation where everyone starts ignoring the argument and it gets minimized and forgotten and never solved in a vicious cycle that is perpetuated more by the person willfully getting angry over inconvenience/method of the messenger rather than the problem itself.

*I'm using "you" generally, because this phenomena is hardly unique to you
Keeya, Lill'ya, Ainyalah, Vaisis, Selauna, Maria Brink, Wrathiva
Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx, Leczee Eko'va, Misphire
Kharaava, Jaista, Katie Bee, Altheeka Referrals

aerockyul's Avatar


aerockyul
01.30.2019 , 05:54 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Kryptonomic View Post
Absolutely agreed. One of my biggest frustrations with the Bioware team is watching them, year after year, simply not seem capable of learning how to engage with a community. Even with something like the data center move: perhaps this was simply in the cards and nothing we could say would do a thing to change it.

But there are ways to manage the communication with a player base that is going to be impacted by this. Not just the player base that is most directly impacted but also ... the rest of us! The rest of us who might be losing even more of the game's population as a result; the loss of good will many of us might feel on behalf of others, even if we're not impacted.

The same applies to the oft-stated problems of bugs that simply seem to live on forever, with little or no acknowledgment. Or the lack of concern for feedback on PTS. Or the lack of (apparent) concern around sentiments being expressed around gearing.

These are the "death by a thousand cuts" kind of things that absolutely tarnish and corrode the relationship between the player base of a game and the people who provide the game. The original

The original poster said "Your sneaky business tactics and disdain for your customers is going to be the end of you" and while I'll personally hold off on the sneaky business tactics part, the notion of disdain for the customer is a perception that I think most of us could agree is a valid perception, even if we disagree on the extent of its impact.
Agree very much. How many customer blow-ups would have been minimized or simply eliminated if the communication had simply been more up-front and transparent?
I deal with this a lot in my occupation where bad things can happen, but because I'm up front about the situation and let them know exactly what I'm going to do to fix or improve the situation they leave with a good impression 99% of the time (and some people are simply baffled because they believe, like in other places, they're going to get screwed over by my mistake and they are expecting me to do what other bad companies do and either blame them or ignore them or simply not fix my error. Who does that sound like? )
Keeya, Lill'ya, Ainyalah, Vaisis, Selauna, Maria Brink, Wrathiva
Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx, Leczee Eko'va, Misphire
Kharaava, Jaista, Katie Bee, Altheeka Referrals

Ardrossan's Avatar


Ardrossan
01.30.2019 , 06:06 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
You are completely right about this
I live in a city where protests are very common--and there's no easier and quicker way to piss off the people who would actually agree with your point than to block them in their vehicles in any way on the street/highway. They're actually more likely to run you over at that point without a care in the world than even mutter "good for you for standing up for your convictions"

Same deal here--blaming/hating/minimizing the person complaining or the argument they're making, even if you agree with it, simply because they're doing it in a way that you don't agree with. In this case, you don't like the "spam" in the discussion threads (that move less and less frequently every day, so...what's the problem for you?) much like the driver in the luxury SUV doesn't like being blocked from their ten-minute drive to McDonald's by people protesting fairness in whatever social issue that actually has importance in the real world, and will literally start pushing people with their vehicle and get cheered on by idiots watching that on TV.

Now I know this is just a discussion forum for a game that isn't real life and you might personally never actually cheer for the ******* "pushing" protestors out of the way, I'm just saying it's a similar situation where everyone starts ignoring the argument and it gets minimized and forgotten and never solved in a vicious cycle that is perpetuated more by the person willfully getting angry over inconvenience/method of the messenger rather than the problem itself.

*I'm using "you" generally, because this phenomena is hardly unique to you
Not really sure how I'm completely right when your argument is the total opposite.

So tell me, how often has a ragequit thread spurred BW to fix x issue? A discussion forum is not real life, and doesn't behave according to real life rules. It's one of the things that pisses me off when people make analogies to restaurants or shoe stores as some kind of comparison to videogame developers. There's no comparison.

The pvp spammers MAY have a viable strategy, though I'm highly skeptical. What I think spam threads mainly do is draw players' attention [rather than the devs] to x broken thing, persuading them not to bother with it until it gets fixed. That's the main thing I took from the many Ossus threads: hold off on playing it until BW fixes it, whenever that might be. Of course, this is a subset of the players who actually read this forum, meaning it's probably not enough to form a statistical blip big enough to concern BW.

I think there's an irony here to call for better communication from the devs [which I certainly agree with], but to excuse and minimize rage threads. Player communication evidently doesn't need to be improved, eh?

FlameYOL's Avatar


FlameYOL
01.30.2019 , 11:21 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Do I have sympathy for the APAC players? I absolutely do and it really is unfair that they've just been cut off from a decent connection that way. In my opinion there were different ways to go about it, simply closing the datacenter not being one of them. I'll gladly support any movement to restore the datacenter so that the APAC players can get a normal connection again, because frankly, it's a very stupid decision to shut yourself off to a part of the market that way.

However, this particular case is different and while I can imagine the thread is fueled by frustration, there are other ways to go about it. This is not the way, this is not how you can gain results. What does Bioware or EA care if the OP quits the game or not? There will be someone else to replace them. If you want to change something, you actively try to convince people why you think your idea would be good for the game and try to build sympathy as well as support for it. Ragequitting (multiple times) is not how you garner sympathy or support for anything.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The replies aren't just the pack attacking any dissident, it's calling someone out.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

Lhancelot's Avatar


Lhancelot
09.12.2019 , 07:15 AM | #45
nevermind.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

OlBuzzard's Avatar


OlBuzzard
09.13.2019 , 05:07 PM | #46
1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

10

Breathe in . slowly Breathe out slowly !

Nothing changes.

Breathe in slowly Breathe out slowly !

Patience !

Breathe in slowly .. Breathe out slowly !!

All that anger, disillusionment .. disappointment and misdirected bitterness !!

Breathe in slowly Breathe out slowly !!

But why ? And for whom ?

Breathe in slowly .. Breathe out slowly !!

To what end ?

Change ?

Endurance ?

Lasting creativity and genuine growth.

Thank You
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

Seterade's Avatar


Seterade
09.15.2019 , 12:24 AM | #47
No one at bioware will miss this one person.... but remember 1 person is 1 more person, and swtor loses more subscribers than they gain year after year. Last I heard that hadn't changed.

Ardrossan's Avatar


Ardrossan
09.15.2019 , 10:02 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Seterade View Post
No one at bioware will miss this one person.... but remember 1 person is 1 more person, and swtor loses more subscribers than they gain year after year. Last I heard that hadn't changed.
Nice necro.

Also, I was kind of a dick in this thread, sorry guys.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Companions are a crutch for the weak.

DarthCasus's Avatar


DarthCasus
09.15.2019 , 10:18 AM | #49
Lol at the responses. Not surprised, OP may have been a bit childish but the replies almost embody why this forum has become so dead and the utter failures of "Electronic Atrocities" (lmao) and BioWare to properly manage a game in one of the most successful IPs ever. A loud quitter is still a quitter, you could just leave these threads to rot without response but that definitely can't be a thing, even while the game marinates in its own ragu and heads toward another potential disaster.
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonTora View Post
ur being the "leet" one by letting the internet raise ur children and I would flash the bird to u if i could noob.
Quote: Originally Posted by BarrinMarshal
I know your part of the "Forum Apologist Five" group but stop

Elessara's Avatar


Elessara
09.15.2019 , 03:13 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Seterade View Post
No one at bioware will miss this one person.... but remember 1 person is 1 more person, and swtor loses more subscribers than they gain year after year. Last I heard that hadn't changed.
This would be true except it isn't for the OP. They keep coming back, if they even actually quit at all.