New Faction

New Faction

I believe a great idea for a new faction would be a Hutt or Hutt Cartel faction, where the players work for the Hutts and/or the cartel, and spread the Hutts' influence. I believe this faction could bring neutrality to the SWTOR universe. Where as the empire is more focused on the darkside maybe, and the republic is light. The Hutts could be a good median where the allegiances meet, and lie in between. But of course at the same time promote dark side, light side, and neutrality as well. I always believe it would be an interesting story to work for the Hutts where money and influence are the main goals instead of the destruction of the republic or empire. Butt of course at the same time, I am sure you could have a Hutt that his sole desire is to have another Great Hutt Empire. Instead of this faction being one sided, this faction would have dealings with both the empire and republic, and the player could express their attitude towards both, whether they want to aid both the empire and/or republic, or destroy them both.

Some of the classes to go with this faction could include but are not limited to:

Cartel Gangster / Outlaw: This could be the equivalent to the Republic trooper and bounty hunter perhaps. Where the class's story follows a character who is trying to rise up through the ranks of The Hutts, and works for a Hutt Leader who wants to rise up pass the other Hutts. To do so they have to eliminate rival gangs among the Hutts, and build their reputation. Your missions could range from eliminating targets and leaders, protecting valuable cargo, stealing priceless items, protecting important allies and partners as well.

Negotiator / Politician : This could be equivalent to the imperial agent, and the smuggler. The character would work for a major hutt king-pin who is happy with his position, but is at risk of being overthrown and is possibly frame for a crime that the other hutts are angered with. The character will be in charge of gather new allies, and reestablishing old allies as well, and at the same time protecting your hutt leader and his territory from attacks against the rival hutt who framed him. The story would follow the character has he tries to reestablish the hutt's legitimacy, his name, reputation, and all at the same try to eliminate his rivals. This character would engage in negotiations, trade, and diplomacy. But of course these never seem to happen easily, so the negotiator is always ready to settle things more violently when needed to ensure he/she gets the resources he/she need.

Enforcer / Bodyguard: This class could be the equivalent to the Sith Warrior, and the Jedi Gaurdian. The story of this character would start out as you going on a quest to prove yourself to join a high rank hutt clan where you would become an enforcer for the clan, and carry out missions that include eliminating targets, collecting money and spices and try to rise through the ranks of this particular clan until you are taking orders from the Hutt itself. Now with this character we do have to discuss the class's powers. Because you can go separate ways with this character. Possibly you could have where this character is force sensitive but never was thought strong enough for the jedi or empire, or just was never discovered, or the character once belong to the jedi or sith academy, but was either kicked out, or left on their own.. So in theory this character could have a lot of similar traits as the jedi guardian, and the sith warrior. Which of course would give a great story and at the same time giving the player the ability to use the force and lightsaber. It sounds good to me!

But also instead of the force, this character could use all sorts of gadgets and weaponary that react like the force in some ways. Such as equipment that shoots electricity from his wrist like force lighting, and/or armor that can produce and energy field that pushes enemies back. And instead of a lightsaber this character could focus on vibroblades and/or knives or some more primitive style weapons. Or possibly even hand to hand combat mixed with blades that come out of the top his/her armored gloves which could range in many different styles from just straight blades, curved blades, electric blades, and maybe even some prototype lightsaber blades. And of course depending on the advance class you select could have one or two "glove blades" or one class has the blades, while the other just has hand to hand combat. These styles would please me just as much as if this character was force sensitive.

Pirate: Thats right, PIRATE! Now before you jump to conclusions, I am not suggestion we start adding characters with a peg leg, a hook in one hand, and a cutlass in another! Instead this is a more modern pirate much like a smuggler I suppose. A good example of the pirate that I am thinking of is Hondo Ohnaka from the star wars clone wars series. This personally is my favorite class. It would be the equivalent to the Sith Sorcerer and Jedi Consular. This character could be in charge of "treasure hunting" for a very wealthy hutt leader who is fascinated by history and lore, and desires artifacts and legendary objects. This hutts' goal, and yours would be to create a new galactic hutt empire and rule the galaxy. You would be on the hunt for artifacts that would give him, you, and his clan extraordinary power and weaponry. And maybe an artifact like the star forge that would give him unlimited resources, ships, and droid soldiers. But the problem is that the empire and the republic are hunting for the same artifacts. Again with this character we could go with the force sensitive background much like the Enforcer / Bodyguard class previously mentioned. But again this is also another way.

Again this character could have equipment and gadgets installed throughout his armor and clothing that could stack up to the force. Such as a miniature harpoon that shoots from his wrist that can tangle up enemies, pull enemies, and have powders that can confuse, poison, and explode, and many other dirty tricks such as a hidden blaster that the character pulls out and shoots a barrage of blaster fire. Now the melee weapon for this character I personally would love to see in the SWTOR universe no matter how it could be put in, but I think it would fit this character perfectly. That melee weapon would be a whip, and would use it much like any other melee weapon, and in a way like Indiana Jones. One of the advance classes the character would just have a single whip, and the character can dual wield whips for the other advance class maybe. The whip could come in many styles, and a good example of this type of whip is shown in star wars the clones wars series Fourth Season, Episode 12, "Slaves of the Republic" and let me just add while I am talking about this episode, The Zygerrians would be an awesome race to play as!

I know its no where near perfect! But this is something I JUST CAME UP WITH WHEN THINKING ABOUT A NEW FACTION!

That just may be the sad truth.

But I still have hope for this game and for the star wars universe. I would never expect my entire suggestion to be put in, or even work. But I would be ecstatic if I just saw portions of it in this game such as, and electro-whip, Zygerrians as a new playable race, or having two lightsabers coming our of your armored gauntlets like baraka from mortal combat. Honestly I don't write these suggestions just for the game, but for ideas for the star wars universe entirely. Just in case anyone needed to span their imagination on the star wars universe. But sadly I am sure you may be write and any of this is not possible for this game due to the condition it is facing. But who is to say that when someone wants to make a new video game for the star wars universe, that they wont look at past star wars games to see what worked and what didn't and see what suggestions they received?

Basically what I am saying, that I don't just think these things are good for this game, but good for any future game, and for the star wars universe entirely! Because I believe anyone could enjoy playing as a star wars treasure hunting pirate that is trying to bring about a new galactic hutt empire, I know I would!

The issue with this is mission flags and how they relate to dialogue and cutscenes. Imagine being unable to do ANY missions prior to say, 4.0, and thus having a new class that only had about 2 hours of non-Operation, non-PvP content.

Hmmm, I see.

Honestly though, I am a very patient person. I did not put this suggestion in to expect it to pop up over night. I would be happy to see any of it in the game after 2-3 years or longer, and I still be okay if none of it ever shows up, but still it may have possibility in the future of this game and of others. I don't care where nor when it shows up, I just would eventually like to see it and/or play it.

I suppose I just have an open mind, whether its realistic or not.

Hmmm, I see.

Honestly though, I am a very patient person. I did not put this suggestion in to expect it to pop up over night. I would be happy to see any of it in the game after 2-3 years or longer, and I still be okay if none of it ever shows up, but still it may have possibility in the future of this game and of others. I don't care where nor when it shows up, I just would eventually like to see it and/or play it.

I suppose I just have an open mind, whether its realistic or not.

None of that stuff is going to show up in this game. If you want to suggest it for other SW games fine, but it's pretty easy to see or explain why it won't happen in this game. The simplest answer being this game wasn't successful enough for the devs to go back in and do any of that stuff. This game wasn't the WoW like success they thought it was going to be. If it had been the game would be very different but sadly it's not.

Note that you're never going to see a new class in this game. Not only would you have to balance against the 8 existing classes, but they would also need a new class story which would require a lengthy new script to be written, a male and female voice actor for the class, 5 fully written and fully voiced new companions, the vanilla planets would all need to be reworked in order to add class quest areas. Most of the NPC quest givers would need to be touched upon in some way as they a large number of them address you as Master Jedi, My Lord, Hunter, Agent, etc. The Fleets, Orbital Stations, and Planetary Hangers would have to be redesigned to add an additional 5th hanger and so on and so forth.

So yeah, there's no way you're ever going to see a new class given what all is required or expected from a new class.

a class that has no story and levels up on side missions could be possible, it could also use the companions that you pick up in fps like the blue med droid from mando raiders, the mon calamari guy from cadamimu, and the dogs and droid from Athiss

also both jedi classes could use the same hanger because its the same ship anyway

my vote would be for a class that has nothing but buffs and off heals/attacks like bards from DAoC like a technician or mechanic, their main hand could be a hydrospanner!

cmon swtor bust outta that 3 role trap!

Edited by Monumenta
adding stuff

Me personally I wouldn't use the word never.

But whether it shows up in the game or not, I still think it is an interesting concept, and personally I don't care if someone doesn't believe if it can be done or not, I am more interested in the idea, and I do believe you can't go wrong with introducing more non force user roles such as a treasure hunting pirate or a underworld mechanic, whether it is in this game or in the star wars universe in general. It would be a very interesting point of view to look at the empire, republic, sith, and jedi from the outside all at the same time due to being part of a faction that doesn't work for any of them

a class that has no story and levels up on side missions could be possible, it could also use the companions that you pick up in fps like the blue med droid from mando raiders, the mon calamari guy from cadamimu, and the dogs and droid from Athiss

also both jedi classes could use the same hanger because its the same ship anyway

my vote would be for a class that has nothing but buffs and off heals/attacks like bards from DAoC like a technician or mechanic, their main hand could be a hydrospanner!

cmon swtor bust outta that 3 role trap!

I agree!

Mechanic would be a very cool class, and seeing a hydrospanner in combat would be very interesting indeed!

We never know what will happen exactly in the future. The only certain thing we all know about is that everyone will die someday early or lately.

You have create a nicely new story, that must be said. It need some adjustments and polishments, but still great start with.

Nevertheless, I have to say that it might be impossible to see in the currently SWTOR game. But, like I have said in many other threads about great ideas which are probably impossible to see introduced to the game, I ask permission to repeat here:

"While is there life, there is hope." Stephen Hawking (THE BEST).

So, we can still dreaming with anything we want because we never know the future and, while is there life, there is hope.

Thanks and congratz for the idea.

Personally I've always thought bounty hunters and smugglers should be part of a third faction, or to conserve issues, make them able to choose which faction they belong to. Reason being, both seem capable of being good or bad; maybe smugglers ARE more anti-imperial (as the empire are always the ones trying to stop them) but bounty hunters working exclusively for the empire feels like a stretch.

I mean, what's done is done, so I'm not asking for any changes; this is just something I've thought about from time to time.

Personally I've always thought bounty hunters and smugglers should be part of a third faction, or to conserve issues, make them able to choose which faction they belong to. Reason being, both seem capable of being good or bad; maybe smugglers ARE more anti-imperial (as the empire are always the ones trying to stop them) but bounty hunters working exclusively for the empire feels like a stretch.

I mean, what's done is done, so I'm not asking for any changes; this is just something I've thought about from time to time.

The idea is fine in theory, have it becomes a total cluster **** when you actually start to spec it out.

So lets say the Smuggler and Bounty Hunter at the start of the game could choose their own faction. You'd have to have all the class quests, side quests, etc, etc, account for all that. Meaning there would need to be a Republic version of the Bounty Hunter's class quests and a Empire version of them. Same with the Smuggler. Basically the amount of work required starts multiplying and becomes much greater than what's involved with the other 6 classes.

As much of stretch as what they did was, I completely understand why at the end of the day they chose to do it. It made things easier, less complex, balanced, etc.

I'm sure they had numerous discussions early on about all this stuff but when it came to what was actually doable they had to settle on what we got.

a class that has no story and levels up on side missions could be possible

No, that wouldn't work as the side missions alone don't give enough XP to level you properly.

Also that's not what people want or expect from a new class.

it could also use the companions that you pick up in fps like the blue med droid from mando raiders, the mon calamari guy from cadamimu, and the dogs and droid from Athiss

Again, not something people want to expect from a new class.

Just because you found a shoddy terrible way to do things doesn't mean it should be done.

That's not a simple solution nor would that even work. There are too many script triggers tied the ships being separate ships in the game's coding that what you're suggesting would be an insane under taking for them to try and do.

It's not a simple task just because you think it is.

If they were going to add another class it would be a pet class. It's the only major MMO class not covered in the game's 8 classes. What you're talking about is like a second or third tier type of class when it comes to MMOs.

• 1 month later...
new faction or dual faction or merged factions or something people have been saying would be too difficult for this game appears to be happening in October

What? Nothing in any of the details suggests a new, third faction. Even the "merged faction" isn't suggested to be any different from the current storylines. (Both sides having, essentially, the same story.) As a matter of fact, it seems suggest more variation, not unilateral.

What? Nothing in any of the details suggests a new, third faction. Even the "merged faction" isn't suggested to be any different from the current storylines. (Both sides having, essentially, the same story.) As a matter of fact, it seems suggest more variation, not unilateral.

you didnt catch the part about the empire and republic being destroyed?

The Sith Empire and Galactic Republic have fallen. The Jedi and Sith have retreated to their temples. No one remains to stand between the Eternal Throne and the utter destruction of all we hold dear.

It has to be you. Find the strength within yourself to persevere and sacrifice your own needs for those of the galaxy. You’re our last hope.

New Faction

I believe a great idea for a new faction would be a Hutt or Hutt Cartel faction, where the players work for the Hutts and/or the cartel, and spread the Hutts' influence. I believe this faction could bring neutrality to the SWTOR universe. Where as the empire is more focused on the darkside maybe, and the republic is light. The Hutts could be a good median where the allegiances meet, and lie in between. But of course at the same time promote dark side, light side, and neutrality as well. I always believe it would be an interesting story to work for the Hutts where money and influence are the main goals instead of the destruction of the republic or empire. Butt of course at the same time, I am sure you could have a Hutt that his sole desire is to have another Great Hutt Empire. Instead of this faction being one sided, this faction would have dealings with both the empire and republic, and the player could express their attitude towards both, whether they want to aid both the empire and/or republic, or destroy them both.

Some of the classes to go with this faction could include but are not limited to:

Cartel Gangster / Outlaw: This could be the equivalent to the Republic trooper and bounty hunter perhaps. Where the class's story follows a character who is trying to rise up through the ranks of The Hutts, and works for a Hutt Leader who wants to rise up pass the other Hutts. To do so they have to eliminate rival gangs among the Hutts, and build their reputation. Your missions could range from eliminating targets and leaders, protecting valuable cargo, stealing priceless items, protecting important allies and partners as well.

Negotiator / Politician : This could be equivalent to the imperial agent, and the smuggler. The character would work for a major hutt king-pin who is happy with his position, but is at risk of being overthrown and is possibly frame for a crime that the other hutts are angered with. The character will be in charge of gather new allies, and reestablishing old allies as well, and at the same time protecting your hutt leader and his territory from attacks against the rival hutt who framed him. The story would follow the character has he tries to reestablish the hutt's legitimacy, his name, reputation, and all at the same try to eliminate his rivals. This character would engage in negotiations, trade, and diplomacy. But of course these never seem to happen easily, so the negotiator is always ready to settle things more violently when needed to ensure he/she gets the resources he/she need.

Enforcer / Bodyguard: This class could be the equivalent to the Sith Warrior, and the Jedi Gaurdian. The story of this character would start out as you going on a quest to prove yourself to join a high rank hutt clan where you would become an enforcer for the clan, and carry out missions that include eliminating targets, collecting money and spices and try to rise through the ranks of this particular clan until you are taking orders from the Hutt itself. Now with this character we do have to discuss the class's powers. Because you can go separate ways with this character. Possibly you could have where this character is force sensitive but never was thought strong enough for the jedi or empire, or just was never discovered, or the character once belong to the jedi or sith academy, but was either kicked out, or left on their own.. So in theory this character could have a lot of similar traits as the jedi guardian, and the sith warrior. Which of course would give a great story and at the same time giving the player the ability to use the force and lightsaber. It sounds good to me!

But also instead of the force, this character could use all sorts of gadgets and weaponary that react like the force in some ways. Such as equipment that shoots electricity from his wrist like force lighting, and/or armor that can produce and energy field that pushes enemies back. And instead of a lightsaber this character could focus on vibroblades and/or knives or some more primitive style weapons. Or possibly even hand to hand combat mixed with blades that come out of the top his/her armored gloves which could range in many different styles from just straight blades, curved blades, electric blades, and maybe even some prototype lightsaber blades. And of course depending on the advance class you select could have one or two "glove blades" or one class has the blades, while the other just has hand to hand combat. These styles would please me just as much as if this character was force sensitive.

Pirate: Thats right, PIRATE! Now before you jump to conclusions, I am not suggestion we start adding characters with a peg leg, a hook in one hand, and a cutlass in another! Instead this is a more modern pirate much like a smuggler I suppose. A good example of the pirate that I am thinking of is Hondo Ohnaka from the star wars clone wars series. This personally is my favorite class. It would be the equivalent to the Sith Sorcerer and Jedi Consular. This character could be in charge of "treasure hunting" for a very wealthy hutt leader who is fascinated by history and lore, and desires artifacts and legendary objects. This hutts' goal, and yours would be to create a new galactic hutt empire and rule the galaxy. You would be on the hunt for artifacts that would give him, you, and his clan extraordinary power and weaponry. And maybe an artifact like the star forge that would give him unlimited resources, ships, and droid soldiers. But the problem is that the empire and the republic are hunting for the same artifacts. Again with this character we could go with the force sensitive background much like the Enforcer / Bodyguard class previously mentioned. But again this is also another way.

Again this character could have equipment and gadgets installed throughout his armor and clothing that could stack up to the force. Such as a miniature harpoon that shoots from his wrist that can tangle up enemies, pull enemies, and have powders that can confuse, poison, and explode, and many other dirty tricks such as a hidden blaster that the character pulls out and shoots a barrage of blaster fire. Now the melee weapon for this character I personally would love to see in the SWTOR universe no matter how it could be put in, but I think it would fit this character perfectly. That melee weapon would be a whip, and would use it much like any other melee weapon, and in a way like Indiana Jones. One of the advance classes the character would just have a single whip, and the character can dual wield whips for the other advance class maybe. The whip could come in many styles, and a good example of this type of whip is shown in star wars the clones wars series Fourth Season, Episode 12, "Slaves of the Republic" and let me just add while I am talking about this episode, The Zygerrians would be an awesome race to play as!

I know its no where near perfect! But this is something I JUST CAME UP WITH WHEN THINKING ABOUT A NEW FACTION!

It will not happen. People need to stop asking for it.

new faction or dual faction or merged factions or something people have been saying would be too difficult for this game appears to be happening in October

No, the third faction isn't a playable faction, it's an enemy faction like Malgus, The Hutt Cartel, Dread Masters, Revanites, The Emperor, etc. In other words the exact same thing that we've had with ever new story update since the end of the vanilla game.

Once again, ENEMY faction. Not a new player faction, and it's stupid to say that some random article "speculates" that someone is wrong. You're acting like it's a flat out fact when in reality everything actually points to the situation being exactly like it's been since the game launched.

And btw just to point out how stupid that guy is in the article, he refers to the third faction as "The Outlanders" your character is "The Outlander" it's not a faction. It's a loner type title. It be like calling the The Wanderer from the Fallout games a faction.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

No No No...

Once again, I'm right you're wrong!

your speculation is no more informed than theirs, you seriously sound like a spoiled child, I hope you're younger than 20...

And btw just to point out how stupid that guy is in the article, he refers to the third faction as "The Outlanders" your character is "The Outlander" it's not a faction. It's a loner type title. It be like calling the The Wanderer from the Fallout games a faction.

so since Fallout is a single player game and story-wise everyone is the same character there is one 'wanderer' but since SWTOR is multi player and all 8 classes will be outlanders it sounds to many people, not you of course because you don't like to have any fun or something, like there will soon be only one faction. Maybe there will be maybe there wont but your Fallout logic is terribly flawed.

But please, feel free to take that huge stick from your behind and try to beat me down with it, I can take it...

Edited by Monumenta

I can't believe the unified faction for a second. It would either mean that people starting the new storyline basically get exiled on a new fleet for "unified" and all pre KTFE players are still on Imperial and Republic fleets.

Because just replacing both fleet with a unified one just wrecks the story progression.

In fact, the bit about both factions having collapsed is so unlikely it funny people even believe it.

Without commenting on the OP, I'm just going to say that as much as I like SW:TOR, it's desperately missing a "neutral" faction.

In fact, any time I hear of a new MMO that is still operating on the boring old "Alliance vs Horde" trope, I'm somewhat less interested than I would have been. This is also why I was initially quite excited about Fallen Earth, until I began beta-testing it & discovered what a mess it was.

IMO, all MMOs need at least 3 factions. That was one of the very best things about DAoC, in fact -- especially with their Battlegrounds & open-world RvR systems -- because you never knew when that intense battle you were fighting against one faction would suddenly erupt into an uber-chaotic 3-faction slugfest. That was, simply put, the best MMO PvP I've ever seen.

I'd give almost anything for a Neutral faction. ANYTHING. I would even consent to coming up to BW HQ to bake them cookies!!!

your speculation is no more informed than yours

Yeah that makes perfect sense.

you seriously sound like a spoiled child

That would imply that I get everything I want.

so since Fallout is a single player game and story-wise everyone is the same character there is one 'wanderer' but since SWTOR is multi player and all 8 classes will be outlanders it sounds to many people, not you of course because you don't like to have any fun or something, like there will soon be only one faction.

Yeah either that or maybe just MAYBE it's so every NPC in the voiced dialogue can refer to all 8 classes as "The Outlander" instead of "Hero of Tython" "Champion of The Great Hunt" "Emperor's Wrath" etc, etc.

Ever think they could possibly oh I don't know cut corners in some way shape or form to make things easier on themselves genius?

Having everybody be The Outlander just as everyone is The Wanderer in Fallout makes things easier on them (Bioware) for a variety of reasons.

Maybe there will be maybe there wont but your Fallout logic is terribly flawed.

Not really. In Fallout you are The Wanderer and in this new expansion everyone will have the singular title of being The Outlander. Everybody is becoming the same thing, just in the same way that everybody in Fallout is the same thing.

But please, feel free to take that huge stick from your behind and try to beat me down with it, I can take it...

This coming from a guy who necro'd a thread just to try and validate his own opinion that other people are in fact wrong, that they are factually without a doubt wrong despite not actually having any proof.

You also absolutely had to necro this thread this morning too right? I mean it wouldn't make any sense at all to just wait until the EA press conference this afternoon or the SWTOR IGN livestream that's just a few hours away in order to get the actual in detailed facts on the situation right?

Your arrogance and opinions have to be validated on a video game forum where nothing truly matters just so that you can feel some slight sense of goodness about yourself right because you're clearly not getting that from anywhere else or else why would you be here doing this genius?

Edited by Darth-Obvious

Yeah that makes perfect sense.

Fixed my typo so baby can read it, sorry to confuse you.

I'm pretty sure that a few weeks doesn't constitute a necro, would you have me clutter up the forums with a new thread when I know there's one of the same subject a few pages in? maybe you should read the forum rules?

Without commenting on the OP, I'm just going to say that as much as I like SW:TOR, it's desperately missing a "neutral" faction.

In fact, any time I hear of a new MMO that is still operating on the boring old "Alliance vs Horde" trope, I'm somewhat less interested than I would have been. This is also why I was initially quite excited about Fallen Earth, until I began beta-testing it & discovered what a mess it was.

IMO, all MMOs need at least 3 factions. That was one of the very best things about DAoC, in fact -- especially with their Battlegrounds & open-world RvR systems -- because you never knew when that intense battle you were fighting against one faction would suddenly erupt into an uber-chaotic 3-faction slugfest. That was, simply put, the best MMO PvP I've ever seen.

I'd give almost anything for a Neutral faction. ANYTHING. I would even consent to coming up to BW HQ to bake them cookies!!!

Guild Wars 2 works just fine without any factions.

Having factions is sometimes one of the things that puts an MMO and players at a disadvantage.

Most MMOs despite being multiplayer games are generally focused on the player rather than groups of players. For instance you are generally always doing what is best for you and only you. If you see any sort of gathering node it's generally always a first come first serve basis, ie if I get there before you it's mine and you either have to move a long or wait for it to respawn. Same with objectives like kill 10 of these and collect 5 of those. You're also less inclined to start attacking something like a world boss if another group has already started it because you know you'll get nothing out of it. This is all fairly standard stuff for MMOs.

Going back to Guild Wars 2 for a second I was always kind of impressed that it did away with a lot of those notions and basically made every action rewarding to the individual player and multiple players at the same time. For instance gathering nodes are permanent until you yourself mine them. I can never beat you to them, only show you where one is. With world bosses, everybody who participates in the event gets rewarded. A lot of the kill 10 of these collect 5 of those type things don't really exist in the open world but rather lots of different community events that work similar to the world bosses, ie if you're killing enemies, defending, or whatever during the event you get credit for it and complete it. You're not competing against your fellow player like in so many other MMOs.

^Now that model of course can't work for every game/MMO however it's a nice change of pace, but it does kind of suck that so many MMOs do you use the same sort of model/set-up. 1 faction vs another faction. Quests that are mostly made up of Kill X and Collect X. Follow this not so great story line that's hard to get invested in, especially when it's made up of a bunch of (easily skipable) text boxes, etc, etc.

In terms of SWTOR specifically or really any MMO, it's difficult to add in another faction post launch that can take advantage of all the vanilla content. For instance even if this new SWTOR expansion had a new playable faction, it's not the type of 3rd playable faction people want or have been asking for since launch. In other words it's not like you can join the Hutt Cartel at Level 1 and play through the vanilla game content. That's the type of thing they would've had to have had in place when designing the game originally or if the game had made WoW type money they could've gone back and done a Cataclysm style overhaul to the vanilla content to allow for something like that.