Theory: Why some like TOR PvP and some do not

ZeusThunder

First, this doesn't take Illum into account. I think the entire community agrees that Illum is really poorly designed right now.

I've been thinking about the people who like TOR PvP and the people who are going to unsub soon because of PvP. After asking a whole lot of people what their thoughts are, I've come up with the following conclusion:

Group who likes TOR PvP: Almost unanimously they didn't plan to PvP much when first subbing to TOR. They had played other MMO's previously, but focused on PvE. If they did PvP, it was just gear farming and it wasn't their focus at all. These people also tend to play on PvE servers. They started doing WZ's initially for the gear, but ended up liking the PvP because of the single server community and rivalries that started.

The thing that sets these people apart, is that they don't have any other PvP to compare to. This is the only PvP in an MMO they've tried before, and overall are pretty satisfied with it.

Group who hates TOR PvP: They tend to be on PvP servers, and have done PvP in other MMO's heavily. What they are really looking for, is something either completely different than anything they've done before; Or, something very similar but done really well. They know what good PvP is, and this game isn't it. They don't like the bad skill responses, only 3 WZ's, etc...

Really what many are looking for is their previous MMO PvP with a Star Wars mod on it.

Personally I think both sides are right.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, this doesn't take Illum into account. I think the entire community agrees that Illum is really poorly designed right now.

I've been thinking about the people who like TOR PvP and the people who are going to unsub soon because of PvP. After asking a whole lot of people what their thoughts are, I've come up with the following conclusion:

Group who likes TOR PvP: Almost unanimously they didn't plan to PvP much when first subbing to TOR. They had played other MMO's previously, but focused on PvE. If they did PvP, it was just gear farming and it wasn't their focus at all. These people also tend to play on PvE servers. They started doing WZ's initially for the gear, but ended up liking the PvP because of the single server community and rivalries that started.

The thing that sets these people apart, is that they don't have any other PvP to compare to. This is the only PvP in an MMO they've tried before, and overall are pretty satisfied with it.

Group who hates TOR PvP: They tend to be on PvP servers, and have done PvP in other MMO's heavily. What they are really looking for, is something either completely different than anything they've done before; Or, something very similar but done really well. They know what good PvP is, and this game isn't it. They don't like the bad skill responses, only 3 WZ's, etc...

Really what many are looking for is their previous MMO PvP with a Star Wars mod on it.

The people who like the PvP in SWTOR obviously dont know what good PvP is.... yeh right.

I play on pvp servers exclusively in mmos and i love tors pvp

Other games pvp i enjoyed include:

EVE

Shadowbane

DAoC

planetside (its an mmo so it counts=P)

even WAR at release, before they started ruining the game.

GW though i kind of quit playing that game after the first expansion so i dont know how it turned out.

RFO was great fun as well.

Games whos pvp i disliked

Every wow clone (including WoW) except tor

I really did not like CoX's pvp

I think my joy of this games pvp is related to its CC system. Its good to see a pvp game that really focuses on CC again.

Of course there only being 3 warzones is a huge problem. But if this game had like, 20 warzones, id be set. I like the classes and how they interact in pvp. So i guess, the game has good pvp classess more than good pvp.

I also like ilum, im not sure how it is on other servers, but on ajunta pall we have regular ops vs ops fights, which seem just about what you would expect from large scale pvp content. Its not as good as a true RVR game, but were you expecting it to be?

this is pretty much accurate and reflects well what I have heard from other people in the game.

I think its more:

People who dislike this games pvp cant understand how to handle CC or how to manipulate/feint/mess with the enemy players mind in pvp to try and force him to do things that are actually a bad idea for him to do.

Or don't understand how, say, just standing somewhere doing nothing, but being visible to the enemy team, can help your team win.

P.S. It is true i was not planning on pvping in tor (i always play on pvp servers for the challenge/considerations you must take to try and resist ganking, but thats a passive thing), but because i never imagined i would like casual wow style instanced pvp battlegrounds. But seeing how horrible the game was at pve, i figured i may as well try, turns out the game has pretty fun pvp. Theres no real consequences to it, so its more like a minigame, but its a good minigame.

I also like space combat :p

Edited by Elysion

I'm not new to it at all, but I didn't expect to like it in SWTOR because I thought the all one bracket deal was strange and I figured sync queue premades would completely ruin it for soloers. Now I really enjoy the 1-49 queues (no intention of reaching 50 on any toon anytime soon if ever) and some days I can win most of my games pugging, so obviously premades haven't destroyed it. Although I suspect they sometimes just let us win because they prefer farming kills for a full match, but whatever.

I would agree with OP

Only explanation for someone liking TOR PvP is they are new and dont know any better.

TOR PvP is simply put absolutely putrid!

I have a few months on cancelled sub and havent logged in for weeks, heck posting in forums is more amusing than TOR PvP.

PEOPLE WHO LIKE TOR

-are playing it.

PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE TOR

-are whining on the forums 'while they wait for their subscriptions to run out' which is an interesting excuse, because if I didn't like the game, I certainly wouldn't wait for the sub to run out to go find something better.

PEOPLE WHO DEFEND TOR

-are posting from work because they can't be online playing it.

its really that simple.

Games whos pvp i disliked

Every wow clone (including WoW) except tor

ToR is a WoW clone. So was Warhammer. Yet you claim to like both.

/boggle

Agree with the OP. The only people who like this are the WoW kids who don't know any better.

You...didn't read the OP did you? That's not what he said at all.

Edited by EternalFinality

I think its more:

People who dislike this games pvp cant understand how to handle CC or how to manipulate/feint/mess with the enemy players mind in pvp to try and force him to do things that are actually a bad idea for him to do.

Or don't understand how, say, just standing somewhere doing nothing, but being visible to the enemy team, can help your team win.

P.S. It is true i was not planning on pvping in tor (i always play on pvp servers for the challenge/considerations you must take to try and resist ganking, but thats a passive thing), but because i never imagined i would like casual wow style instanced pvp battlegrounds. But seeing how horrible the game was at pve, i figured i may as well try, turns out the game has pretty fun pvp. Theres no real consequences to it, so its more like a minigame, but its a good minigame.

I also like space combat :p

People who hate TOR PvP do because it is freaking boring, frustrating, and makes you want to stab your eyes out with toothpicks. More so many have followed game and had such high hopes and are RAGING at BW and the horrendous PvP dev team.

Eh, don't think I really fit either group very well. I PvP'd in Anarchy Online, which is a whole lot different ballgame of blob vs blob, or simply terribad class balance in the battlestations.

I PvP'd in Aspenwood a lot in Guild Wars, running all kinds of silly gimmick builds just for laughs.

Never been that srs about it, and WZs are the most fun thing to do in TOR atm, IMO.

PEOPLE WHO LIKE TOR

-are playing it.

PEOPLE WHO DON'T LIKE TOR

-are whining on the forums 'while they wait for their subscriptions to run out' which is an interesting excuse, because if I didn't like the game, I certainly wouldn't wait for the sub to run out to go find something better.

PEOPLE WHO DEFEND TOR

-are posting from work because they can't be online playing it.

its really that simple.

Word. :cool:

ToR is a WoW clone. So was Warhammer. Yet you claim to like both.

/boggle

In the very thing you quoted from me i said tor was a wow clone.

As far as the WAR thing, i enjoyed the rvr lakes, and hated the battlegrounds.

While WAR was a wow clone, it also kind of wasnt, since even though it ended up copying wow with all the criteria i usually assign to a wow clone it was also, at least ideologically, an rvr game.

One of the requirements of something to be a wow clone, is that its also got to be an eq clone, and a game whos endgame is supposed to be rvr, conflicts with that definition

In the end i would say WAR, like STO, simply very heavily borrowed from WoW, but was not a wow clone due to fundamental differences.

I am a pvp'er. I have been one since UO and DAoC. I'm not as old as some gamers, but I'm definitely as old as they come as a pvp player.

I am part of neither of your categories.

A lot of people who consider themselves "hardcore" pvp'ers, your group 2, aren't to us old school gamers.

Do you know why I'm ok with TOR pvp? Because I had reasonable expectations. I did not think that I was buying a pvp game. It was the same with WoW.

Now, with WAR, I was disappointed. This was the first game since DAoC that was supposed to be a RvR MMO RPG. Many old Dark Agers felt the same way and were similarly let down.

This isn't a pvp game. WoW isn't a pvp game. You all need to understand this- hardcore, casual, pvp, pve, whatever. You guys need to realize that most MMO developers aren't building PvP games. PvP is a "feature" in most mainstream MMOs now. It's a feature because it is another thing to add longevity to subscriptions and thus revenues to the company.

If a game doesn't have collision detection, it's probably not a pvp MMO. If a game has a "pvp zone", it's probably not a pvp MMO.

So you need to add at least one more category to your characterization of the TOR player base. That would be my category. The "I remember when" folks. We are enjoying TOR for exactly what it is, not what we think it should be or want it to be.

It's glaringly apparent in every BW community correspondence. Their attitude has always been very clear. Just recently, in their Q & A session, a representative commented that BW is overwhelmed by the popularity of the pvp elements of their game. They never intended for or expected this to be such a large component of the experience for so many players.

You guys need to realize that as MMOs go mainstream, the focus will always be on maintaining subscriptions to generate revenues. This is not to say that BW doesn't care about the game- quite the contrary. They care about the game to the extent that the most people can enjoy the most content. MMOs like this and WoW will always be focused on the casual player. Shame on you for thinking otherwise.

People who hate TOR PvP do because it is freaking boring, frustrating, and makes you want to stab your eyes out with toothpicks.

Explain? Words like 'boring' and 'frustrating' just sound like people wanting instant gratification and 'i run into the enemy team like an idiot and everyone tab targets me and i spend the rest of my life stunned'

I would agree with OP

Only explanation for someone liking TOR PvP is they are new and dont know any better.

TOR PvP is simply put absolutely putrid!

I have a few months on cancelled sub and havent logged in for weeks, heck posting in forums is more amusing than TOR PvP.

Sounds to me like you joined the game to PVP....????

Bad move when it was advertised as a STORY driven MMO...

I never understand you people....Come to an MMORPG and constantly complain about PVP....Have you not realized yet, its an after thought, a mini game that devs throw in to appease the minority that casually play it...

Ever wonder why the PVE server's are huge and there are 4 times as many of them....???

Well i dont know for others behalf but im an hardcore PvP player from many games

but especially from AoC. When i first bought the game i had in intention to do PVP mainly, but PVE on the side.

I can simply say i disagree with you and i really enjoy the PVP in SWTOR, and i see big potential for the game both PVP and PVE wise,

Explain? Words like 'boring' and 'frustrating' just sound like people wanting instant gratification and 'i run into the enemy team like an idiot and everyone tab targets me and i spend the rest of my life stunned'

All there is to do is battelgrounds for daily quests.

Some battelgrounds make you want to kill yourself (it's called Huttball)

Ilum is beyond awful.

That's PvP - boring, /wrists inducing, or awful. Take your pick.

Pretty much what I've been leaning toward all along and definitely true about myself. Or should I say; it's probably easier for someone with no experience to enjoy the game. That's not to say that experienced players can't enjoy it, just that they will probably complain more.

I've never played a MMO before and didnt touch PvP on my first two characters. Then I created a Commando healer and figured that I should give PvP a go, this wasnt until the character was a lvl 43. I noticed how much, in relation to the PvE part of the game, exp I would get from PvP but more importantly; It was a nice change of pace and quite fun despite that the reps on my server ALWAYS lost.

So I decided to create a new character, this time an imp since I would like to win from time to time, and dedicated myself to PvP WZ, still on a PvE server though. I quickly found a guild to play with and I've probably won 97 % of my matches since. It's fun to win and despite having played since lvl 11 and more or less always against much higher levels than myself I havent really noticed any unfair elements or what i would consider to be broken parameters. Perhaps it's because I play as a sorc but I'm usually also the only sorc in the 4 man group I play with so it's not like we're exploiting ranged combat and win because of it.

Edited by MidichIorian

I PvP'd heavily in World of Warcraft, and I really enjoy PvP here in ToR. So I don't really fit in either of those groups.

Well, WoW pvp is shyte.

I hated WoW and I unsubbed a LONG time ago.

SWTOR isn't rrally player vs player, its team vs team and in my opinion can be quite fun. The sooner people realize that, the sooner they can quit crying about how this isn't their favorite old school pvp game.