Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Shadow Tank (stat/gearing check)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Shadow Tank (stat/gearing check)

Farstrider
09.01.2018 , 02:11 PM | #1
Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've considered building my tanking gear on my Shadow. After a couple of weeks, I'm nearly finished, only need two implants, belt, wrists and 1 relic at 248 (they are currently Gemini 3)

I sit at around 33% Shield Chance, 49% Absorb

What percentages should I be looking to sit at augmented and unbuffed?

The answer will help me determine which implants I should use and which augments I'll slot.

Many thanks!

(I'm asking here as the guides I've looked at either: Don't need updating/haven't been updated since '17)

LD_Little_Dragon
09.01.2018 , 04:17 PM | #2
This thread is up-to date for current optimal stats http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=918622

Although I'm not sure how optimal it really is. 4000 some odd points in defense seems like a waste to me.

I assume you want PvE, since PvP tanks are still better off in full dps gear.

You want about 2000 points in shield, 1700 or so in absorb. Defense is a personal choice, but the difference from 2500 defense to 4000 is so minimal that I run with the 248 set bonuses, and crafted 246 warding Bs and the low-defense crafted 246 shield and and absorb enhancements since the extra endurance is often more useful than a miniscule increase in defense.
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

ZouYan
09.01.2018 , 04:37 PM | #3
Tanking stats are usually slightly different for each person. General rule of thumb tho is 2000 shield and 1500 absorb. For mods all tank mods are useless and should either be replaced with either lethal b or regular lethal mods. Personally i run the regular lethal mods as 135k health is more than enough for all content and 500 more dps helps. My exact build is 5 absorb enhancements 4 absorb augments. 5 shield enhancements and 10 shield augments. I also run both dps relics.
Co-GM <Lightning Masters> <Pull Burn Profit>
Mortema | Tsouyen
26/26 NiM post 5.0 | 5/5 Timed Runs
https://lightningmasters-guild.enjin.com/

RikuvonDrake
09.01.2018 , 06:30 PM | #4
Yea the people above outline it well in regards to gearing, here is an updated spreadsheet which indicates exactly what you need and how many of all. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=350211635

The advised stats are what I think most tanks are using for endgame PvE content, for everything else stats aren't really important which is why you find few people discussing / updating guides about it.

Bloodworthy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd - The Red Eclipse - Darth Malgus

Maxitrac
09.02.2018 , 01:41 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by LD_Little_Dragon View Post
This thread is up-to date for current optimal stats http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=918622

Although I'm not sure how optimal it really is. 4000 some odd points in defense seems like a waste to me.

I assume you want PvE, since PvP tanks are still better off in full dps gear.

You want about 2000 points in shield, 1700 or so in absorb. Defense is a personal choice, but the difference from 2500 defense to 4000 is so minimal that I run with the 248 set bonuses, and crafted 246 warding Bs and the low-defense crafted 246 shield and and absorb enhancements since the extra endurance is often more useful than a miniscule increase in defense.
that guide is far out of date... i suggest use one of these two. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=949300 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=350211635
26/26 Nim/MM 5.0
<Paramount> | <Sniper Science> | <Lightning Masters> | <Aeon>
https://lightningmasters-guild.enjin.com/sales

LD_Little_Dragon
09.02.2018 , 09:28 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Maxitrac View Post
I make suggestions on what I find to be the most useful guides. The older guide has 248 gear with 236 augs, it's not far out of date. More importantly, it has stats for the lower tier gear rather than just 248 end-game top-tier gear and actual numbers to aim for, which I look at rather than 'x number of enhancements, y number of augments'

It's a personal preference, I realize, and the hardest content I do is MM flashpoints and the occassional SM Op, but as a healer I don't want a main tank gearing for maximum dps, I want them gearing for survivability with mid-range dps. I've healed so-called tanks in dps-optimized gear and it is a pita. They get put on my ignore list more often than not.

KendraP
09.02.2018 , 12:17 PM | #7
I make suggestions on what I find to be the most useful guides. The older guide has 248 gear with 236 augs, it's not far out of date. More importantly, it has stats for the lower tier gear rather than just 248 end-game top-tier gear and actual numbers to aim for, which I look at rather than 'x number of enhancements, y number of augments'

It's a personal preference, I realize, and the hardest content I do is MM flashpoints and the occassional SM Op, but as a healer I don't want a main tank gearing for maximum dps, I want them gearing for survivability with mid-range dps. I've healed so-called tanks in dps-optimized gear and it is a pita. They get put on my ignore list more often than not.
I mean I've "tanked" mm fp and sm ops on a vigi guardian plenty of times. But its not optimal for the role.

Honest as long as the person is running shield/absorb enhancements, they're probably fine. I use high endurance dps mods with high endurance tank enhancements because def is so near asymptote anyway.

LD_Little_Dragon
09.02.2018 , 12:54 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post

Honest as long as the person is running shield/absorb enhancements, they're probably fine. I use high endurance dps mods with high endurance tank enhancements because def is so near asymptote anyway.
Sorry, I think I came across a bit grouchy. I've just had a pretty rough time trying to pug with my heals. Got a couple tanks in 240+ gear who didn't even have 1000 points in shield/absorb. It makes an easy flashpoint a lot harder if you're constantly throwing out what should be your emergency heals.

I've moved my heals to pvp group content mostly for group-finder activities. It's far less stressful than pugging with a bad tank.

I did not mean to say that tanks with some dps-gear aren't fine, you do get diminishing returns at higher numbers.

Equeliber
09.03.2018 , 06:55 AM | #9

It's outdated not because it covers older gear. But because the mathematical model for alacrity is wrong in those calculations. Few months after last updates in that thread people discovered so called "alacrity tiers" - cetain numbers of alacrity that directly affect your GCD. If you have any number of alacrity inbetween those tiers, it's a waste, and if you follow that thread you posted, you will be wasting alacrity.
Klorea, Sith Marauder Ael Vienne, Sith Sorcerer Cinthie, Sith Assassin Lora Leigh, Sniper Darth Malgus

olagatonjedi
09.04.2018 , 12:05 PM | #10
Sorry, I think I came across a bit grouchy. I've just had a pretty rough time trying to pug with my heals. Got a couple tanks in 240+ gear who didn't even have 1000 points in shield/absorb. It makes an easy flashpoint a lot harder if you're constantly throwing out what should be your emergency heals.

I've moved my heals to pvp group content mostly for group-finder activities. It's far less stressful than pugging with a bad tank.

I did not mean to say that tanks with some dps-gear aren't fine, you do get diminishing returns at higher numbers.
People need to ask themselves if lazy healing is just as acceptabke as lazy tank gearing. If ur role is tank, gear for optimal survivability, unless the group asks for, or needs more dps for enrage timers. Any survivability that is negkected just makes the healers job more difficult, even if its doable.

Of course people have a right to, and likely will, gear however they want. But you can also ignore and/or not group with whoever you dont like, too.