So Bioware, when can we expect an announcement about an expansion?

BrianDavion

I'm not talking just housing eaither. I think it's pretty clear to me that you're plotting something big. multiple double XP weekends seems to suggest you wanna make sure we're all at level cap. and that omnious series of flashpoints in the new patch...

can we expect an announcement soon?

I'm not talking just housing eaither. I think it's pretty clear to me that you're plotting something big. multiple double XP weekends seems to suggest you wanna make sure we're all at level cap. and that omnious series of flashpoints in the new patch...

Wouldn't make much sense for them to split their own hype between Strongholds and another Expansion, so I wouldn't expect any official word on the following Expansion until after June.

Rumors have been that the "RotHC-sized" 3.0 Expansion will be dropping in December with a possibility of it being pushed to January though.

Edited by DarthDymond

Wouldn't make much sense for them to split their own hype between Strongholds and another Expansion, so I wouldn't expect any official word on the following Expansion until after June.

Rumors have been that the "RotHC-sized" 3.0 Expansion will be dropping in December with a possibility of it being pushed to January though.

Unless every single game update after 2.8 is pushed back a couple of weeks or so, I find it hard to believe we'll get 3.0 ONLY in January. I expect it to come out on December at the LATEST.

I'm wagering 3.0 will be between october and december. Could be August, but I think that's the full launch for something that subscribers are getting early access to in June.

Yep. When they said we'd be getting an expansion similar to GSF as well, they weren't really kidding... Even the release cadence for subscribers, preferred and F2P is identical.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

yeah thnats my guess, a aprt of me is wondering though if they're gonna pull a fast one and we'll find out that galatic strongholds is part of a MUCH bigger expansion

It is possible as in a recent cantina event they said that the level cap is going up and we would hear more sooner rather than later , any word yet Eric or Tait ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

http://dulfy.net/2014/03/23/swtor-boulder-colorado-cantina-tour-flashdrive-files/

The level cap IS going up and we should hear something about that sooner than later

More planets are in the pipeline.

I find the plural here curious and wonder how precise it is, seeing that ever since the original release, we only got Makeb as far as planets are concerned.

Oricon and CZ-198 are moons; I like to assume they do it that way for a reason but maybe I'm just too hopeful.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

http://dulfy.net/2014/03/23/swtor-boulder-colorado-cantina-tour-flashdrive-files/

I find the plural here curious and wonder how precise it is, seeing that ever since the original release, we only got Makeb as far as planets are concerned.

Oricon and CZ-198 are moons; I like to assume they do it that way for a reason but maybe I'm just too hopeful.

Really think you're reading too much into the planets/moons distinction there. I'm pretty sure they use "new planets" as SWTOR-speak for "new zones", regardless of which they're technically classified as in-game, at least when they're speaking about them in that context.

After all, Asation and Darvannis were "new planets" technically, but I doubt the devs would refer to them as such in describing them.

Edited by DarthDymond

Really think you're reading too much into the planets/moons distinction there. I'm pretty sure they use "new planets" as SWTOR-speak for "new zones", regardless of which they're technically classified as in-game, at least when they're speaking about them in that context.

Only time will tell.

Until then, fact remains that every single new area released thus far was either a moon, like CZ-198 and Oricon or in one of the original planets, like Section X on Belsavis and Black Hole on CORE-LEE-AH, as Darth Vowrawn so deliciously likes to say. :cool:

After all, Asation and Darvannis were "new planets" technically, but I doubt the devs would refer to them as such in describing them.

We've had this discussion before.

They are operations, certainly not planets on par with Makeb or the stuff that came before.

We've had this discussion before.

They are operations, certainly not planets on par with Makeb or the stuff that came before.

That's my point:

On the one hand you have "planet" as an astronomical term, which would apply to Makeb and Darvannis equally well but would exclude Nar Shaddaa or Oricon.

On the other hand you have "planet" as a game content term, which would apply to Makeb and Nar Shaddaa equally well but would exclude Darvannis or Asation.

I'm just saying the quote from the cantina tour was almost certainly using it in the second sense: as a game content term. (And which would therefore apply to Oricon and CZ-198.)

Only time will tell.

Until then, fact remains that every single new area released thus far was either a moon, like CZ-198 and Oricon or in one of the original planets, like Section X on Belsavis and Black Hole on CORE-LEE-AH, as Darth Vowrawn so deliciously likes to say. :cool:

While I'm still not convinced, I will say this is a fair point.

Edited by DarthDymond

That's my point:

On the one hand you have "planet" as an astronomical term, which would apply to Makeb and Darvannis equally well but would exclude Nar Shaddaa or Oricon.

On the other hand you have "planet" as a game content term, which would apply to Makeb and Nar Shaddaa equally well but would exclude Darvannis or Asation.

I'm just saying the quote from the cantina tour was almost certainly using it in the second sense: as a game content term.

Which is why I questioned earlier the use of term "planets", as far as precision goes...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7346867&postcount=8

Regardless, all one can do right now is to have a little faith.

While I'm still not convinced, I will say this is a fair point.

This is the main reason why I'm still hopeful that somehow, someway...

Stuff like Ziost, Bothawui and Sleyheron may still be coming, with Yavin-IV released as a daily area in the meantime afterwards.

Fingers crossed.

Well in terms of Double XP weekends the last two have only been so close together due to the problem that happened last double XP weekend where people weren't receiving proper experience gain.

The one we're getting this weekend is a "We're sorry" Double XP weekend.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

Well in terms of Double XP weekends the last two have only been so close together due to the problem that happened last double XP weekend where people weren't receiving proper experience gain.

The one we're getting this weekend is a "We're sorry" Double XP weekend.

true but we're also getting one in May

As long as Bioware keeps TRYING to make the general faction related stories as close to individual class stories as they can, I'll be happy. Cause I was a little annoyed with Makeb. The story was the exact same dang thing for all of my characters I ran through there. The only thing that was even remotely different was the cut scenes leading you TO Makeb.

Though, if I don't get more fade to blacks with my characters' spouses, I'm going to cry and stomp off continuing to use my imagination which is not work safe. =(

• 2 weeks later...
Bioware has to have something up there sleeves they are hiding. Reasons I say this are they gave us 78 gear which if we don't get any new new gear before 3.0 even casual players will start to steam roll content. The raiding situation is the worst, they better drop a new raid with 2.8 or this is going to be a very small raiding community because there have been no new raids since September. Nightmare mode content does not count same OP just higher boss hp and tighter enrage timer. 2.8 and 2.9 is gonna drop another pair of flashpoints I cant see an OP for this storyline except for the finale just like the Oricon storyline.

Bioware has to have something up there sleeves they are hiding. Reasons I say this are they gave us 78 gear which if we don't get any new new gear before 3.0 even casual players will start to steam roll content. The raiding situation is the worst, they better drop a new raid with 2.8 or this is going to be a very small raiding community because there have been no new raids since September. Nightmare mode content does not count same OP just higher boss hp and tighter enrage timer. 2.8 and 2.9 is gonna drop another pair of flashpoints I cant see an OP for this storyline except for the finale just like the Oricon storyline.

If a new operation was coming with 2.8, they'd have announced it already I assume.

EDIT:

Also, DF and DP were released in October.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

The raiding situation is the worst, they better drop a new raid with 2.8 or this is going to be a very small raiding community because there have been no new raids since September.

As Darth_Wicked pointed out, it was technically October.

Also, there is pretty much 0% chance of a new operations tier appearing in 2.8, because NiM DP will be coming then. A new tier of operation and gear will screw up the progression/titles/etc for NiM DP. It just opens up a whole nest of problems that we should assume Bioware is aware of and not crazy enough to inflict on us.

Now they could possibly release a new operation with 2.9 in August. That would give a 2 month window for NiM DP without it competing with a new OP. But it also starts to bump up against what we think the timing is for the major expansion and level cap bump. If that is coming between October and December, it seems like a waste of resources to release a new operation and new tier of gear only to make the whole thing obsolete or retune it for the next patch.

So it really looks like we will be going a year or more between new operations releases. I agree it sucks, and is the main reason my 6-mo subscription will expire in a couple of weeks. I hope Bioware knows what they are doing with their roadmap having so much GSF, housing, and tactical FP content to the apparent exclusion of WZ and raid development, because it seems like a substantial shift in focus away from the things that have kept their current subscribers around.

At this point in time, I honestly doubt we'll get to see a new operation before 3.0 hits. Plus, do we even know for sure that there will be a 2.9?

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20140203

There is no mention of it in the Producer's Road Map for 2014 and last I checked...

http://www.swtor.com/gameupdates

Bioware went from 1.7 to 2.0 so there's no reason to think the same may NOT happen this time; Here's hoping, since a full year without a new operation would be beyond abysmal.

As Darth_Wicked pointed out, it was technically October.

Also, there is pretty much 0% chance of a new operations tier appearing in 2.8, because NiM DP will be coming then. A new tier of operation and gear will screw up the progression/titles/etc for NiM DP. It just opens up a whole nest of problems that we should assume Bioware is aware of and not crazy enough to inflict on us.

Now they could possibly release a new operation with 2.9 in August. That would give a 2 month window for NiM DP without it competing with a new OP. But it also starts to bump up against what we think the timing is for the major expansion and level cap bump. If that is coming between October and December, it seems like a waste of resources to release a new operation and new tier of gear only to make the whole thing obsolete or retune it for the next patch.

So it really looks like we will be going a year or more between new operations releases. I agree it sucks, and is the main reason my 6-mo subscription will expire in a couple of weeks. I hope Bioware knows what they are doing with their roadmap having so much GSF, housing, and tactical FP content to the apparent exclusion of WZ and raid development, because it seems like a substantial shift in focus away from the things that have kept their current subscribers around.

I believe their normal intended rate is 2 sets of operation releases per year(having occurred in both 2012 and 2013). What we're seeing here is because they're trying to figure out how to space their 2 digital xpacs per year.

It seems that tiers weren't necessarily planned out to take future content into account, and as a result they've got all kinds of issues with content that is probably ready or near-ready to be launched that they have to delay for months to keep it from becoming shortly obsolete. Alternatively they could do what they did with TFB, if they're planning on keeping to their previous pattern of 2 sets of op releases per year.

Basically what I'm saying is don't forget to check up on the game, because I don't think 1 operation release per year is their plan.

At this point in time, I honestly doubt we'll get to see a new operation before 3.0 hits. Plus, do we even know for sure that there will be a 2.9?

There is no mention of it in the Producer's Road Map for 2014 and last I checked...

Bioware went from 1.7 to 2.0 so there's no reason to think the same may NOT happen this time; Here's hoping, since a full year without a new operation would be beyond abysmal.

We don't actually know that, but we figure there'll be one to fit in all the SM versions of the new flashpoints before 3.0.

We don't actually know that, but we figure there'll be one to fit in all the SM versions of the new flashpoints before 3.0.

We can also figure that the last couple of flashpoints may be a part of 3.0, assuming one is willing to go for positive thinking here.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

No announcements about release numbers past 2.8, but I would expect we'll get a 2.9 (August) and probably a 2.10 (October) as well, before 3.0 in December/January.

We know 2.8 is Strongholds Early Access, and that August will be the Strongholds "Official Launch". Since GSF's Official Launch didn't move the version number to 3.0, I doubt the GSF-sized Strongholds Digital Expansion will either - ergo: Update 2.9: Strongholds.

My guess that we'll also see a 2.10 comes from rumors that December/January will be when we get the following RotHC-sized Expansion, which still leaves room for a separate October update. It also seems likely that we'd get at least one non-expansion patch between the two expansions for the year (the same way we got one between GSF and Strongholds).