PowerTech Max DPS PvP Build

Xpar

Actually, you'll get much better damage moving the 2 points from Hot Iron, which only buffs Flame Burst in your spec, to 2 points in Intimidation, which boosts all fire damage by 4%.

Pyrotech has heavy fire (Elemental) damage mechanics aside from Flame Burst:

- DoT from Combustible Gas Cylinder

- Incendiary Missile

- Flame Thrower

You'd lose 2% damage for Flame Burst but gain 4% damage for the rest of your Fire damage abilities.

I.e. this 4/6/31 spec, which is one of the ones in my PT PVP Guide:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301bMZMsZfhMbdGGMs.1

I've never spoken or seen a 21/2/18 guy do any where close to my dps in pvp.

It's because they're too busy doing the things you can't do, such as running the flag and Guarding friendlies.

Why would you even bother to compare the DPS for a spec that has a tank tree as its biggest investment with a spec that has 31 points in the DPS tree?

EDIT (2012/01/20): fixed my spec link. Copy-paste fail!

Edited by taugrimtaugrim

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently I am running my BULLDOG* build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hR0MZ0MZbIbbdGGMs.1

Works great, using ion gas cylinder and a shield generator.

My reduction in damage is 47% and 5% int.elem.

22% shield with 22% abs

My dps is exactly the same as a pure PYRO build.

I can protect friendly targets, i can snare, my unload and rapid shots do damage (and sometimes u need it), my railgun max crit is 3950 on a sorc. My crit chance is 29% tech with a 76% magnitudo of crit.

I play with 4 pieces of ELIMINATOR with combat medic gun and other pvp mix for the crit chance. My expertise is 450. I have 16600 hps. I HARDLY loose in 1vs1, it happens if i don't have cooldown up and my enemy is a good player and uses all of em.

BULLDOG* 8/2/31 (with ion gas cylinder-and rebraced armor)

*(all rights reserved)

Currently I am running my BULLDOG* build:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hR0MZ0MZbIbbdGGMs.1

Works great, using ion gas cylinder and a shield generator.

My reduction in damage is 47% and 5% int.elem.

22% shield with 22% abs

My dps is exactly the same as a pure PYRO build.

I can protect friendly targets, i can snare, my unload and rapid shots do damage (and sometimes u need it), my railgun max crit is 3950 on a sorc. My crit chance is 29% tech with a 76% magnitudo of crit.

I play with 4 pieces of ELIMINATOR with combat medic gun and other pvp mix for the crit chance. My expertise is 450. I have 16600 hps. I HARDLY loose in 1vs1, it happens if i don't have cooldown up and my enemy is a good player and uses all of em.

BULLDOG* 8/2/31 (with ion gas cylinder-and rebraced armor)

*(all rights reserved)

Lets not exaggerate here your DPS isn't exactly the same, your missing several talents that boost up your damage and loosing out even more damage by using IGC over CGI, which hits quite hard. You've definitely traded damage dealing potential for a bit more surviability and a bit of extra utility.

In the end it's some what similar to the parakeet build except it looks like you traded the mobility of Jet Charge for the Burst of TD.

Now for my own question regarding Prototype Cylinders and Prototype Burn Enhancers vs. 2 points in Steely Resolve?

Basically what do people think about giving up the 3% tech crit of Cylinders, the 6% crit to all fire attacks, gaining an extra 2% damage to fire attacks done and an extra 6% aim? I figure long term the extra 6% aim will get better with better gear, probably not a huge increase but hey where just theorizing here anyway.

Edited by Dharagada

I see a lot of posts about the 21/2/18 and that of course is trash. Pvp is all about burst damage and TD is pretty important (mine crits for 4k). I'm 9 ranks away from Battlemaster right now and have few hundred games of pvp under me.

Engagement rotation is such:

TD > IM > RS > FB > RS or RP

The rotation basically means your railshot hits at the sametime the TD goes off. When they both crit along with the IM dot, my target typically would be down by 9-10k hp with my gear.

Is of course 2/8/31

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3010MZMsMZfhMbdGhrs.1

Here is a game from last night:

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/9679/507k.png

My pvp video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KqJeyV56eM

I've never spoken or seen a 21/2/18 guy do any where close to my dps in pvp.

I sincerly think this is a horrible pvp build (CC >>> dps). Rotation is flawed. You'll get CCed and lose to any skilled PVPer

Edited by borkbork

Actually, you'll get much better damage moving the 2 points from Hot Iron, which only buffs Flame Burst in your spec, to 2 points in Intimidation, which boosts all fire damage by 4%.

- Incendiary Missile

- Flame Thrower

You'd lose 2% damage for Flame Burst but gain 4% damage for the rest of your Fire damage abilities.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGozRboZ0MZbIbbdh.1

It's because they're too busy doing the things you can't do, such as running the flag and Guarding friendlies.

Why would you even bother to compare the DPS for a spec that has a tank tree as its biggest investment with a spec that has 31 points in the DPS tree?

Taugrim,

Thanks for this build. Pretty excited to try this out

Wich PVP set should I get for the Pyrotech?? Eliminator or Combat Tech or mixed?

Well it basically comes down to this.

Eliminator 2 pc is useless however the 4 pc is incredible.

Combat Tech neither the 2 pc nor the 4 pc is useless, but neither are great either.

General consensus is to go eliminator.

How so I generally use the same rotation

IM>RS>ED>RP>RS>FB>RS/FB

I rarely lose 1v1

Well you don't use a flawed rotation dude

First of all I think maxing builds are inferior. Basically they rely on getting the jump and perform more randomly then tougher util or CC oriented builds. When you win regardless you are the real beast. It is just like ppl posting screenies of AOE damage.

I'm even guessing less pvpers will stick to the high damage builds as game matures and. 20% or so more damage just isn't gonna make you shine.

My opinion though

Edited by borkbork

Well you don't use a flawed rotation dude

First of all I think maxing builds are inferior. Basically they rely on getting the jump and perform more randomly then tougher util or CC oriented builds. When you win regardless you are the real beast. It is just like ppl posting screenies of AOE damage.

I'm even guessing less pvpers will stick to the high damage builds as game matures and. 20% or so more damage just isn't gonna make you shine.

My opinion though

For the most part I'd agree with you. That being said there is a certain utility in grabbing TD from going fully Pyro.

It allows the Pyro Powertech to be very dangerous at range, lets face it the biggest weakness of the spec is the low mobility and being able to put a hurt on someone with a combo of range abilities from a primarily melee ranged class (or short ranged) is a nice form of utility and can catch people by surprise.

So it's all trade off.

Lets not exaggerate here your DPS isn't exactly the same, your missing several talents that boost up your damage and loosing out even more damage by using IGC over CGI, which hits quite hard. You've definitely traded damage dealing potential for a bit more surviability and a bit of extra utility.

In the end it's some what similar to the parakeet build except it looks like you traded the mobility of Jet Charge for the Burst of TD.

Now for my own question regarding Prototype Cylinders and Prototype Burn Enhancers vs. 2 points in Steely Resolve?

Basically what do people think about giving up the 3% tech crit of Cylinders, the 6% crit to all fire attacks, gaining an extra 2% damage to fire attacks done and an extra 6% aim? I figure long term the extra 6% aim will get better with better gear, probably not a huge increase but hey where just theorizing here anyway.

No way.

I tried all those hybrid builds and this one has the same potential of pure PYRO one. 5% less perhaps, nothing really noticeable, btw i gain A LOT more of survivability.

But...ignore this build and let me be the best. I'll appreciate it :)

BULLDOG user.

Xpar thanks for sharing and I agree with your build. Will you be posting any new videos and if you do please post 1 on 1 fights with geared 50's if possible. I am finding the pt class to be underwhelming in pvp...particularly 1 on 1's. I get rolled 1 on 1 by sorc's, marauders, juggs etc. Any tips and does it get better. Just hit 50 and in centurion gear. Edited by jtfone

- Incendiary Missile

- Flame Thrower

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GRGozRboZ0MZbIbbdh.1

Wrong link Taug

You put 3 points into Hot Iron. Isn't it better to put 3 points into Initimidation since that increases damage of ALL fire effects by 6%?

I'm not even sure about that any more. I swear to god, sometimes it feels like Flame Burst is 75% of my damage in any given Warzone. All that tech power and tech crit we get, and the elemental damage...FB is seriously underrated.

In your 4/6/31 build how beneficial is the Prototype Cyclinders?

Would it better to go 5/5/31 just to max out Intimiation.

I have a 5/5/31 build, but I'm thinking 4/6/31 might be better. Not sure if the 3% crit chance would outweight the 2% fire increase.

Edited by gravioli

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZbs0MZfhrbzGhM.1

8/8/25 ... no thermal detonator...less chance of overheating imo

Gets you everthing to make rail shot hit super hard, and reset often. Also gives shorter stun and grapple. Believe me...can 3 to 4 global people in this spec if railshot resets correctly and crits.

Edited by zlenn

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing shield tech since the beginning.

Was PvP fun since basically level 10? Yes.

But I must say, I enjoy this DPS build much more.

The problem with my shield tech is that the CD on Grapple and the Jet Charge is not as effective in the lvl 50 bracket as in earlier levels. It's typically only useful in Huttball, which I've played hundreds of times by now.

The jet charge and grapple works 50% of the time. There's so much CC in the game it's ridiculous so sometimes my grapple won't work on someone.

I don't need to jet Charge as often because there's usually another player who can pull me to them if I'm carrying the ball. Else, an enemy will just pull me right back down.

People have spec'd and play in such away that a BH cannot be solo unless they're DPS.

I find with this DPS build it's easier for me to help burn down the ball carrier, or take out healers in any pvp.

If they want to make grapple and jet charge effective, then make it where you get a kill count if you pull someone into acid or fire or off the edge to death.

And make the seconds you get of a speed boost after jet charge immune to stuns of any kind and anything that makes you slower.

I take just as much damage because the shield tech doesn't block as much damage in PvP as it does in PvE.

Edited by EscVelocity

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Everyone here is talking about how important it is to be able to carry the ball and score in Huttball, therefore they believe that survivability is key. I would like to argue that killing people while your teamate is carrying the ball is just as valuable. For one, thats one less person dps'ing the ball carrier, and it puts them behind the wall for a period of time totally taking them out of the game. You therefore have a numbers advantage against the other team. So please stop making it sound like DPS'ers have little to offer in huttball, it's simply not true.

Everyone here is talking about how important it is to be able to carry the ball and score in Huttball, therefore they believe that survivability is key. I would like to argue that killing people while your teamate is carrying the ball is just as valuable. For one, thats one less person dps'ing the ball carrier, and it puts them behind the wall for a period of time totally taking them out of the game. You therefore have a numbers advantage against the other team. So please stop making it sound like DPS'ers have little to offer in huttball, it's simply not true.

Yes, killing people so they respawn at their base to merk the carrier just before their score, you sir are genius

Yes, killing people so they respawn at their base to merk the carrier just before their score, you sir are genius

Agreed.

Keeping the entire other team at 0 Deaths is much more crucial to winning anything. Oh yeah, especially when they get the ball. I like to /wave and /dance with them because I figure it's more intimidating then a 5k+ Crit. Especially the /dance, that **** freaks me out when I see what they programmed in to my BH.