GPU went out over the weekend

Qouivandes

Had an nVidia 560ti since about 2011 and it finally went out over the weekend. Unfortunately, it went out at a time where disposable income *is not* the best. Daughter in college and son finishing his junior year....among other financial obligations.

because of this i was forced to forgo the card i had my eye on and go for a nVidia 1650. lets just say its a small card.

I am not an expert in cards, but i was going to get a nice 1060..again, my system was built in 2011 for this game and, with only a few adjustments, has been working really well. I know the 1650 is leaps and bounds above my 560ti, but i have concerns on its longevity and ability to handle swtor. I dont put anything at ultra.

thoughts?

Edited by Qouivandes

It's highly likely that SWTOR(1) won't ever be able to feed a 1650 enough to keep it busy if you're running it on a machine made (apart from the card) in 2011.

Some (but only some, not all) of the extra work that "Ultra" implies is done on the main CPU, and that's likely to be the limiting factor.

Press Ctrl+Shift+F to turn on the FPS display lower-left, and watch what it does. Not the numbers (although that might be interesting), but the colour:

* Red = limited by the GPU

* Green = limited by the main CPU

* Red/Green flickering or solid Yellow = balanced

For reference: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=4741512 especially the second post by BioWare staffer Cerimon (long since departed, I suspect). I'd hazard a guess that your meter will be stuck solidly in green.

(1) Your experience may vary on other games, of course. I found that Nier:Automata could, even on fairly conservative settings, only get at best 3-5 FPS(2) on my old (2011-era with GT430) machine, while SWTOR on medium-ish could get around 15-25, depending. On a new machine, bought at the end of 2017 with a Skylake-X i7 and a GTX1080, both games perform beyond merely well on max graphics.

(2) For the sort of game that Nier:Automata is, 3-5 FPS might as well be just a static JPEG image. The lesson is that you should always read a game's sysreqs before shelling cash for it.

The 1060 (3gb) is about 25% better than the 1650, though the 1650 is newer.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1650-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-3GB/4039vs3646

I'd go with the 1060. Here's an Asus 1060 3gb for $130 https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-PH-GTX1060-3G-GeForce-Phoenix-Graphics/dp/B07JZ98WJ2/. It should run this game just fine -- and even better than your old GPU.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

• 2 weeks later...
For the money (looks like a 1650 cost about $200?), should have just jumped to AMD and gotten a 580 - outperforms the 1650....

They're as low as $135 on Amazon right now.

But you're right - I can't figure out why he'd go with a low end 1650 unless he can get it for under $100.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller