Species and having offsprings

Devousa

Hi,

I've been toying with the Legacy Family Tree recently and so far I've tried to make characters from different species (for the sake of legacy unlocks). With the "spouse" and "child" legacy options in the list, I started to wonder which kind of offsprings two species would produce if they had fun times together? How does the system of physical traits overcoming others work in the world of Star Wars? Here are a few examples:

1) If my Twi'lek and Ashara who he romanced were to have a kid, could the child be classified as a Twi'lek or Togruta respectively?

2) On a bit wilder case, if my Human Jedi Knight had a child with my Mirialan, would the child be more likely to be Mirialan as well because Mirialans look a bit like humans but have their separating features?

I know that this isn't necessarily game breaking information but because I am trying to build my Legacy Family Tree with a grain of realism in it, I wanted to ask if you folks had any information or opinions on how it would go. Of course there is always the option of "adopted child" but I'm trying to scout the wider spectrum here. :)

Edited by Devousa

I must admit that I do not remember the examples of such offsprings in Star Wars. All that comes to my mind is about Humans and very Human-like species; I can't even say how it will work with Twi'leks with their special brain distribution, without even mentioning even more unique species.

Of course, it can be done through unnatural means - that was how exiled Dark Jedi and Sith species interbred, after all.

Hi,

I've been toying with the Legacy Family Tree recently and so far I've tried to make characters from different species (for the sake of legacy unlocks). With the "spouse" and "child" legacy options in the list, I started to wonder which kind of offsprings two species would produce if they had fun times together? How does the system of physical traits overcoming others work in the world of Star Wars? Here are a few examples:

1) If my Twi'lek and Ashara who he romanced were to have a kid, could the child be classified as a Twi'lek or Togruta respectively?

2) On a bit wilder case, if my Human Jedi Knight had a child with my Mirialan, would the child be more likely to be Mirialan as well because Mirialans look a bit like humans but have their separating features?

I know that this isn't necessarily game breaking information but because I am trying to build my Legacy Family Tree with a grain of realism in it, I wanted to ask if you folks had any information or opinions on how it would go. Of course there is always the option of "adopted child" but I'm trying to scout the wider spectrum here. :)

I honestly don't know if there was ever a canon answer for this. I personally don't remember anything like it, but I'm not going to pretend I'm the authority on the SW universe and know all. That having been said I'm going to look at things as logically as I can.

Looking at nature here on Earth, you have a black & white couple, the child is completely normal with characteristics of of both parents with no changes in how it should look. It'll adopt various traits from both parents, but otherwise is completely normal and looks like any other human being. Then you take a step further and look at dog breeds, you could take for instance take a Dalmatian and breed it with a Husky. From what I've seen in these cases the dog would look like one or the other but with qualities from the other parent too. For instance it might look like a Husky for the most part, but with spots from the Dalmatian side as well. Or it may look like a Dalmatian but with those beautiful blue Husky eyes, and a very this coat. Dalmatian's don't normally have fur.

That having been said let's see if I can try to answer the questions for you.

1) In this case I would imagine the child would be similar to the dog breeds. Honestly it could look like either parent, with traits from another parent. For instance it could look like a Twi'lek but it's Lukka may have Togruta's Montral patterns instead. Or it could look like a Torgruta but with Twi'lek properties.

2) In this case I would imagine the similarities would be closer to a bi-racial human couple. From what I can see, Mirialan are just green humans, with face paint. In which case, the baby would most likely be somewhere between human color and Mirialan color.

Make of that what you will. As I said this isn't based on lore of any sort, just my best educated guess on how things would turn out. And if it helps any Marvel completely disagrees with me (and Disney now owns both Marvel & SW), so I could be 100% wrong if they use the same philosophy they used in Marvel. But in Guardians of the Galaxy, the off spring between a Human and a Krylorian (essentially Red Humans) seemed to all be Krylorian. That's all I'll say in case this is a spoiler for someone.

Edited by Setta

It could be that Twilek's and Torguta's just can't have children together. We know Cathar can't breed with any of the other species.

I'm sure you can head canon it however you want though, but last I recall, Twilek's were pretty much in the same boat as Cathar.

The Mirilan likely can with humans, and that would just leave you a one or the other.

It completely depends on the two species involved. Check out the write-ups on Wookieepedia that describe hybrid pairings, at least. It gives you an idea what sort of interbreeding between species in the Star Wars galaxy is possible, according to written or accepted canon: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hybrid

I didn't manage to find anything that directly contradicts a possible pairing between Togruta and Twi'lek, and the two species do appear to be compatible in head structure, at least. At least closer than human and twi'lek and THOSE two species can interbreed, anyway.

My own human Smuggler paired up with Akaavi, so he has a couple of Dathomirian sons. Makes tons of jokes about their horns, mind you. Gaibriel is funny that way.

As for Mirialans, they're outright described as a near-human species. Most canon lore accepts that near-humans can interbreed with humans, so hybrids are potentially possible. Although there are some species that do have problems and issues when interbreeding, too. Miraluka, for instance, sometimes have "difficulties" when their offspring is half human and half miraluka. Me, I'd have fun with the legacy options, is all. It's your story, make it work.

I think those Twi'lek hybrid kids were adopted by that trooper. They were way too old for him to have fathered them.

I do think most near humans can breed with humans. For example, my Chiss bounty hunter married Mako, and their daughter is my Gunslinger.

But some species are too different, I think, to reproduce naturally. My Togruta Inquisitor married Andronikos, but they adopted a Cathar.

nevermind that the timeline for those kids didn't synch up AT ALL.

The background is actually that she already was with a human in the past, she just had a type. The children are from her previous companion, but said companion was human too.

Edited by Audoucet

http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/01/28/star-wars-are-you-ready-for-the-mandalorians?page=3

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia, Specifically described them as half human.

In Star Wars insider n115 Ask Lobot Leland Chee confirmed "Twi'lek's and humans can interbreed."

So...

So thanks for providing that? lol

Its been almost 6 years since I've seen it :rak_03:

The idea of humans and Twi'lek interbreeding was always a bit strange to me. I mean the brain distribution in these cases; human brain is quite localized, while a Twi'lek's one is present within the skull and also lekku. I am not a biologist, but it is hard for me to imagine how the interbreeding may go.

The idea of humans and Twi'lek interbreeding was always a bit strange to me. I mean the brain distribution in these cases; human brain is quite localized, while a Twi'lek's one is present within the skull and also lekku. I am not a biologist, but it is hard for me to imagine how the interbreeding may go.

I could see it from the species that seem to have originated from humans (like Chiss) but TwiLek I thought wasn't an off shoot of humans.

It does make me wonder what human and all the off shoots intermingling would be like.

I could see it from the species that seem to have originated from humans (like Chiss) but TwiLek I thought wasn't an off shoot of humans.

I agree. Skin and eye colour, nightvision and more rapid growth are not so significant to prevent interbreeding. Many other species differ from humans in really important aspects.

Though the source wasn't necessarily 100% trustworthy, there is a character in the Inquisitor story in this game that claims that Twi'leks were originally -

artificially created using the genes of other races with the intent of creating a race of Force Sensitives to populate the galaxy.

With that in mind, it might explain why they would be able to be compatible with other races as well.

Though the source wasn't necessarily 100% trustworthy, there is a character in the Inquisitor story in this game that claims that Twi'leks were originally -

artificially created using the genes of other races with the intent of creating a race of Force Sensitives to populate the galaxy.

With that in mind, it might explain why they would be able to be compatible with other races as well.

Not only the similarities between the humanoid species, but especially the possibility of interbreeding can not be a coincidence, there must be a common origin, or genetic engineering somewhere in the galactic history.

There are very few star wars humanoid species that can interbreed.

However there are several notable ones that can, and it is almost always with Humans.

The category of species that can breed with Humans (in Legend Lore only) are called Near-Humans.

Normally, they count as human with funny skin colors ie Chiss.

However, some races which are not specifically identified as Near-Human can hybrid with Humans, this includes Sith, and Twi'leks.

Now as to other species mixing, in Legends Lore, it is hardly ever mentioned. Mainly because writers tend to want to mix X with Human, so if you want to have a mixing that doesn't fall inside normal Legends lore, feel free, but write the story well enough to sell it to even the most die hard fan.

Edited by gothshark

In the game itself you could head canon that they forced the breeding and then just pick whichever you think would be stronger.

For me, my female trooper is human and Jorgan is a Cathar. Technically I don't think they can actually reproduce. But once Cathar became playable races, I just kind of had it where SURPRISE! it was actually possible just really REALLY rare so she has two half human/half Cathar daughters with Jorgan. In the game the kids are pure Cathar characters, but I head canon they're halfies. My Chiss female agent and Vector a human had a kid, who technically is half Chiss/ half human, but I made it where the Chiss side was more dominant so their daughter is Chiss. Same with my agent's daughter, my jedi knight, marrying and having children with Doc. Technically, the children are 3/4 human and 1/4 Chiss, but again, I made it where the Chiss was more dominant so they are three Chiss characters, even though they're 1/4 Chiss and 3/4 Human.

I DO wish we were able to do mixes when making new characters, would make it more real to me personally.

But as it's a game...maybe make one child Togruta with the father's coloring and one Twi'lek with the mother's coloring?

Mostly you'd have to use head canon to explain it all away.

Edited by Eanelinea