Intergalactic Strike Day?

Nemarus

This has nothing to do with balance or meta or anything. No agenda here. Just a silly idea.

Wouldn't it be fun if we picked a particular day or weekend and all flew Strikes, exclusively? We'd have to spread the word on our server GSF communities to increase participation, but I think it could be done.

Now that we have three Strike types, I think things could be quite varied and interesting. There's such versatility between the three variants and all their available components, but no matter what build you use, I still think we could expect that all-Strike combat would be generally a bit slower paced and focused on mid-range fighting.

I think it'd be the closest this game could get to the pace and play of the old X-wing games. No BLC's or mines or railguns or high-evasion. Just blasters, missiles and torpedoes. And it'd give an opportunity to newer pilots, who might've been wary about using a Strike before, to experiment without so much pressure to be optimal.

And who knows, if it was really fun, we could try and make it a weekly thing. Or maybe in subsequent weeks we change it to "Scout Day" or "Bomber Day" or "Gunship Day" (though admittedly I think we see those groups emerge naturally sometimes).

UPDATE: The first Strike Night on TEH went very well, with tons of participation and lots of positive feedback! We will be making this a weekly recurring event, currently scheduled for every Monday night, 7pm to 1am EST.

Coordination thread for The Ebon Hawk: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7439944#post7439944

Coordination thread for Jedi Covenant: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7439998#post7439998

Edited by Nemarus

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd do it, but good luck getting the opposition to not use their FOTM when they are losing.

Well, there will always be people not "in the loop". But certainly if the premades and guilds agree to it (which I think they could on TEH), it'd work out. Also, everyone who agrees to participate could limit their readied ships to just their Strikes, so as to self-regulate themselves from switching to something else if they are losing :) That'd be an easy way to flag to the opposition that you are participating in good faith.

I think at this point, most experienced pilots would find more fun and value in experimenting than with getting one more win among thousands.

I'm sure I can get Saberwing in on this! I think calling it 'Strike Night' has a ring to it (since most of us play at that time anyways).

Suggestions on a day?

I feel like Monday and Tuesday evenings are heaviest, at least on The Ebon Hawk. Usually people trying to cram in matches to finish the weekly on Monday, or get a head start on it on Tuesday.

That being said, there are probably more newbies on Tuesday when the weekly becomes available, and they'd be hard to rope into participation.

So I'd propose Monday, 5pm to 1am EST.

I'd say non-optimal ship day... So Nova, Spear, Rycer, Pike and Clarion.... No FOTM build, No Sheep, No Bomber...

T1 Scouts can be pretty devastating, especially if there are no Gunships or Bombers to slow them down.

I think I'd still do pretty well in my Blackbolt... at least in TDM, especially if my prey are all Strikes.

The point (at least of my original suggestion) is not to make debatable calls about what ships are or are not optimal. My goal is to shoot for a particular pace of play and range of engagement that will hew most closely to the nostalgic LucasArts games of old. Strikes fit that bill, and there's no standing for anyone to judge or debate a decision to just run "Strikes only". If we start picking and choosing from other classes, then things get a lot more complicated, and participation will likely be much lower.

For example, I think certain Bombers and Gunships that opt for all torpedos (without mines or railguns) would probably get along fine in a group of Strikes, but at that point you're micromanaging what builds are allowed.

It's easier to just say, "Strikes only".

Edited by Nemarus

T1 Scouts can be pretty devastating, especially if there are no Gunships or Bombers to slow them down.

I think I'd still do pretty well in my Blackbolt... at least in TDM, especially if my prey are all Strikes.

The point (at least of my original suggestion) is not to make debatable calls about what ships are or are not optimal. My goal is to shoot for a particular pace of play and range of engagement that will hew most closely to the nostalgic LucasArts games of old. Strikes fit that bill, and there's no standing for anyone to judge or debate a decision to just run "Strikes only". If we start picking and choosing from other classes, then things get a lot more complicated, and participation will likely be much lower.

SHHHHHHHHH you had to say yes... :p

Edited by Ryuku-sama

I would get to see the great Bot the COmputer out his Gunsheep!!!! I'm down.. Hunting Aimbot in my striker will be my fun in this day :p

Hey, Renegade-One is fearsome in his Pike :)

I'm gonna need to practice on my Gladiator...