Companion Comparative Tooltips

JagexBlade

I haven't played since just after launch and I'm trying to compare the damage and armor stats of gear in my inventory to what my companion has equipped. I have already enabled comparative companion tooltips but it isn't work. The comparison tooltip still only shows my personal equipment and nothing about my currently summoned companion. Is this a current bug or is there something I can do to fix it?

Companion gear is now purely cosmetic. Their stats are all determined by their influence level and your presence rating. The only thing they need to have is a weapon, in order to use their abilities, the weapon can be an empty shell as the stats on the item are irrelevant.

I haven't played since just after launch and I'm trying to compare the damage and armor stats of gear in my inventory to what my companion has equipped. I have already enabled comparative companion tooltips but it isn't work. The comparison tooltip still only shows my personal equipment and nothing about my currently summoned companion. Is this a current bug or is there something I can do to fix it?

The bug is that the switch still exists, so you can do nothing to fix the fact that it doesn't work.

Your companions' stats are no longer (ever since 4.0 dropped in 2015) determined by their gear, but by a combination of the companion's current level and your Presence score, which is in turn determined by your static Presence bonuses and your Influence rank with the companion.

You can change their gear, mostly(1), but only to change their looks.

(1) Some companions (e.g. Bowdaar, Blizz, Broonmark, any droid companion) didn't change their appearance when you gave them different gear, and they no longer even *have* gear slots except weapons. Others have limited changes (e.g. Qyzen, whose head, hands and feet don't change), and they only have gear slots for the parts that can change. In no case does their gear affect their stats. They won't be effective without a weapon because some or all of their abilities will be disabled, but they can use *any* compatible weapon, even starter-world white junk, without the strength of the gear affecting their effectiveness.