Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is there no option to amicably part ways with Lana?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there no option to amicably part ways with Lana?

Dracofish's Avatar


Dracofish
12.18.2018 , 10:34 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Nefla View Post


Agreed. Don't forget the betrayals too: Anders, Solas, Quinn, it's almost always male love interests.
Iron Bull. He wasn't a love interest for my canon Inquisitor in DA:I, but he still broke her heart.
Me on Ao3! MelissaGT

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.18.2018 , 10:37 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Why yes, colour me pathetically sad. Why? Because my companion hasn't said a peep since Iokath. Or my other companion favorite doesn't get to participate in an Alliance he helped build. Or the others that get killed off or silenced. So yes, I hereby declare myself pathetically sad for my lost companions and lost game enjoyment, and for those other unfortunate pathetically sad people who lost theirs too. You can call me whatever you want, (heck I'll do it myself and save ya'll the trouble, evil, spiteful, pathetic, simpering, hateful, uncaring, heartless or non progressive Lana disliker.) I don't give a crap .

You think you're going to throw Scourge in my face and I'm going to cower down and see it your way? Nope. Bugger it, give them all kill options, fair is fair right? Do that and Kill Lana (bugger the vacation, I was trying to be nice) and kill Ashara especially. Because in the end, you'll get your way, because you adore The Lana, precious untouchable, unvacationable darling of Bioware. Enjoy her for however long it lasts because I won't be the only one pulling a sub.

What I want to see is a chance for all the LIs to play a part, even if it's just a brief Alert to have a few words about the mission, some tenderness or concerns, or even enjoy a celebratory moment alone with them after a mission well done. I'd like to see Theron actually give a mission about which he's an expert in like the SIS and his good friend Gnost-Dural for those who kept him alive. For those that didn't, well, give them an alert with the golden goose.

And on that note, I'm going to go bake some evil spiteful peanut butter cookies. Ta.
Well I was using people in a general sense, so people could decide for themselves if they were that way.

I didn't call you personally anything.

Also, I don't want Scourge dead, I'm pretty sure in another thread I said I wanted him as a M/M only romance.

As for my love of Lana. That's only on some characters. My Agent it's all about Vector. Warrior went with Theron and now I'm guessing he's not going to be seen. Lana is not with all my characters She's just one of my favorite companions and I don't want to see her bricked.

Tharan and Kira are some others. Really, I was hoping to get Tharan and Kira on all my characters, which I don't feel is going to happen now
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.18.2018 , 10:40 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by JakRoanin View Post
Dismissing the points I made and calling people cruel, homophobic, etc... Makes Lana worse to some of us. Originally, my dislike was based on how badly she reacted to my choices. Now I'm starting to hate her because of how you and others treat people who don't like her. It's you who are cruel and offensive.
Pretty sure I haven't called anyone homophobic.

As for the cruel part, I only said that of people who wanted to kill Lana because their favorite was killed. If someone bashes your head in because you accidentally hit them in the head, to you call that fair or do you call that cruel?

Same thing.

Also, I've never specifically pointed out anyone, so if you take my general "people" comment to be pointed at you, it's you doing the pointing, not me.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Dracofish's Avatar


Dracofish
12.18.2018 , 10:44 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post

Also, I don't want Scourge dead, I'm pretty sure in another thread I said I wanted him as a M/M only romance.
Not to derail this thread, but since I believe the other was deleted...

You're calling out people who want Lana gone, in fear that it will take her away from you and those who want to keep seeing her...but you're perfectly fine with the idea of taking Scourge away from anybody who might want to romance him with a female character? Seems...kind of...yeah. The door swings both ways.

I'll say it again...new characters as gender-gated romances...fine. Original previously unromanceable companions who people of all shapes, sizes, and persuasions have been campaigning for for years? They should be open for everybody...if they're made available at all.
Me on Ao3! MelissaGT

AscendingSky's Avatar


AscendingSky
12.18.2018 , 10:52 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by JakRoanin View Post
Dismissing the points I made and calling people cruel, homophobic, etc... Makes Lana worse to some of us. Originally, my dislike was based on how badly she reacted to my choices. Now I'm starting to hate her because of how you and others treat people who don't like her. It's you who are cruel and offensive.
I still like Lana. I've liked Lana since Forged Alliances. I don't want to get rid of Lana. However, the toxic nature of the Space Waifu Lana fans has pushed me towards the belief that all LIs having a kill/dismiss option is the lesser evil over most LIs having a kill/dismiss option with one author favorite being singled out for special treatment. Especially when those same Space Waifu Lana fans who insist Lana can never be given a kill option and all the 'haters' are awful people for asking for one will go on and on about how they (using one player's statements for example) hate Theron's guts and saw his kill option as "karma" and justified. I can't stand hypocrisy.

Getting called evil, heartless, cruel, spiteful, "not very progressive", homophobic, deplorable, racist, argumentative, immature, ignorant, shameful, nasty, etc. for expressing an opinion regarding my distaste for Lana being given 90+% of dev attention and screentime while all other LIs have turned into bricks has soured me on the character's presence in the game a million times more than the character herself (or her writing) ever did. At least if there's an option to get rid of Lana in the game, the devs will have to give us alternatives based on story choices again--or wipe the slate clean, which would definitely suck but at least we would all be on the same level then. Having one LI with plot armor while the rest can be killed off for little to no reason engenders nothing but resentment and toxicity.
#FixConquest
"RNG is EXCITING!!!!!!" -- Ben Irving, Former SWTOR Lead Producer
Vote With Your Wallet - Boycott Cartel Packs!

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.18.2018 , 11:05 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Nefla View Post
This is the first "get rid of Lana" thread I've made. I don't care if it's "progressive," my game is significantly worse because of her constant presence. If BioWare gets their act together and writes options for characters that have a death or dismiss option then it will be the same for Lana, no problem for you. If not, I'm going to campaign for MY enjoyment(not having a character I hate shoved down my throat) over YOUR enjoyment(your companion getting special treatment) any day of the week.
I didn't say you made the previous one. Just found it odd you made another.

Since it hasn't happened yet, you're campaigning for something you just admitted you didn't like happening to your favorites.

Which, I just find off from people who likely consider themselves to be open minded individuals. Which you may or may not consider yourself to be, not pointing fingers, it's considered rude.

Also, the only companion I've ever wanted a kill option for is Skadge and just for my Hunter, because I hated the way he forced his way on my Hunter's ship and I wanted that kill option retroactively added to the Hunter's story and it's not an LI :P

What is a problem for me, is my fave companions which are more than Lana, but these threads are about Lana, not being part of the story.

So, it's not that Lana is the only one, which a lot of people seem to poorly judge it to be, but I also don't want to see a lack of Kira, Tharan/Holiday, Vector, Nadia, Vette, Torian (yeah...got screwed on that one) I was hoping KotET would be our way to make our own crews out of all the vanilla companions
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.18.2018 , 11:07 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Dracofish View Post
Not to derail this thread, but since I believe the other was deleted...

You're calling out people who want Lana gone, in fear that it will take her away from you and those who want to keep seeing her...but you're perfectly fine with the idea of taking Scourge away from anybody who might want to romance him with a female character? Seems...kind of...yeah. The door swings both ways.

I'll say it again...new characters as gender-gated romances...fine. Original previously unromanceable companions who people of all shapes, sizes, and persuasions have been campaigning for for years? They should be open for everybody...if they're made available at all.
Not really. He was never an option before. Any romance he's had up to this point is purely in people's imaginations. So, making him M/M only adds and doesn't take away from anything, not even people's imaginations as they can continue to imagine whatever it is they're imagining.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Lunafox's Avatar


Lunafox
12.18.2018 , 11:08 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Well I was using people in a general sense, so people could decide for themselves if they were that way.

I didn't call you personally anything.

Also, I don't want Scourge dead, I'm pretty sure in another thread I said I wanted him as a M/M only romance.

As for my love of Lana. That's only on some characters. My Agent it's all about Vector. Warrior went with Theron and now I'm guessing he's not going to be seen. Lana is not with all my characters She's just one of my favorite companions and I don't want to see her bricked.

Tharan and Kira are some others. Really, I was hoping to get Tharan and Kira on all my characters, which I don't feel is going to happen now

I know how I am, I'm a good person, and I don't feel I have to prove that to anyone. You say you didn't personally call me a name, but it was implied with your 'biblical' quote about an 'eye for an eye etc'. Eye for an eye implies spite and a certain degree of meanness, so maybe not directly, but you did in fact imply it.

I don't want Scourge dead either. I want to romance him with my FEMALE characters and said in the other thread that I'd like him available for all to romance, so that everyone is happy.

I don't romance Lana on anyone. I did think of her as a friend on all of them but yeah, I'm getting pretty tired of having her foisted on me at every opportunity. I was trying to be reasonable and just ask for a vacation for her, nothing permanent, give other companions and LIs a chance to shine. Give her one line for the next few updates and let Theron or someone else do the talking for a change. What upsets me, is that just because I want a vacation from her people imply all sorts of nasty things about those who don't like or want a break from her. People have discovered they can imply all they want against people and skirt the TOS of the forums, instead of calling people things directly which earns them a ban. It's beyond ridiculous to think that implied words and names don't hurt as much.

Like I said before, I didn't want ANY deprived of anything, but why should I have to accept with a smile that my favorite got killed, no one cared about me or how I felt. The devs and writers laughed about killing Quinn and their bias is obvious. They don't give him his full name and rank, they don't give him a commemorative statue and they don't even ensure his customizations work for people who don't use the default. They indulged the haters and were part of that themselves, and with this, started this whole mess that we're all killing each other over.

Now it's just a matter of fairness because why should mine get taken away? Why should I be punished by being stripped of those companions I enjoy. I pay a sub, I pay for all manner of crap in the store, why is my presence any less important than anyone elses, that I don't deserve the same bang for my buck?

I figure you'll get the other comps back, but it'll be a crappy 2 minute return and then brick. Just like for every single one of the ones I like, including Vector, who my female agents also love without question.
💥The galaxy is ours to grasp. Let us reach!💥

Lunafox's Stories🌙🦊Lunafox's Decorating
Koona t'chuta, Solo?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
omg Darth Lunafox in the house

Dracofish's Avatar


Dracofish
12.18.2018 , 11:13 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Not really. He was never an option before. Any romance he's had up to this point is purely in people's imaginations. So, making him M/M only adds and doesn't take away from anything, not even people's imaginations as they can continue to imagine whatever it is they're imagining.
Except that it's already been established that it's -not- accepted for people to keep on imagining their female characters with him if such a thing were to happen. BioWare has always stated that they embrace the fanart and fanfiction community and the past eight years of fanart and fanfiction that features Scourge with a female character would instantly turn into hate-fodder in one fell swoop. So yes...it would take away. Your point is missing the mark.

Anyways, I don't wish to derail this thread further. There must have been a reason the other was deleted. That's just how I, and many others, feel about the return of old fan-favorites. Everybody should be able to enjoy them if they are opened for romance...and there's no changing my mind on that.
Me on Ao3! MelissaGT

Nefla's Avatar


Nefla
12.18.2018 , 11:15 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I didn't say you made the previous one. Just found it odd you made another.

Since it hasn't happened yet, you're campaigning for something you just admitted you didn't like happening to your favorites.

Which, I just find off from people who likely consider themselves to be open minded individuals. Which you may or may not consider yourself to be, not pointing fingers, it's considered rude.

Also, the only companion I've ever wanted a kill option for is Skadge and just for my Hunter, because I hated the way he forced his way on my Hunter's ship and I wanted that kill option retroactively added to the Hunter's story and it's not an LI :P

What is a problem for me, is my fave companions which are more than Lana, but these threads are about Lana, not being part of the story.

So, it's not that Lana is the only one, which a lot of people seem to poorly judge it to be, but I also don't want to see a lack of Kira, Tharan/Holiday, Vector, Nadia, Vette, Torian (yeah...got screwed on that one) I was hoping KotET would be our way to make our own crews out of all the vanilla companions
The reason I made this thread for parting ways without killing Lana is listed in the OP, it's because they refuse a kill option on the grounds of "Lana is loyal so it makes no sense" and "we don't want to let people be evil for the sake of evil when it comes to her." Not everyone who wants her gone just wants to kill for no reason, we just don't want her in our story anymore and being able to go our separate ways peacefully is a way to get her out of the games of those who hate her in a way that makes sense.

I don't like that it happened to my companions, but this weird limbo of bricking all companions but one (who is one I absolutely hate) and giving that one remaining companion all the attention and screen time and special treatment just makes things worse. If they gave Lana a dismiss or kill option then it would force them to stop being so complacent and just giving Lana all the content.

You really underestimate how much I and some others hate Lana. If she continues to be our only companion then I have no reason to keep playing the game both because of the lack of any companions I like and because I despise her and am sick to death of the Lana Variety Hour and her being constantly shoved down my throat. She is a detriment to my game. Again, if my only choice is between a game *I* like and a game *you* like but I hate then I'm going to campaign for the game I like.

The only chance for the other companions is for Lana to be given the same treatment.