Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is there no option to amicably part ways with Lana?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is there no option to amicably part ways with Lana?

Nefla
12.18.2018 , 04:19 PM | #1
So the writers have decided that killing every other companion was fine and justified but the idea of giving Lana the same treatment is "crazy for no reason" and not allowed. Fine. Disregarding the fact that the writers are the ones who control the scenarios and could easily write a scenario where killing her or letting her die would be perfectly justified, killing her is not the only solution for those of us who hate her. As we all know, our other companions all have a greatly reduced presence at best and have been completely absent, non-interactive, and silent stumps at worst with only Lana remaining. This may be fine for those who love her, but many of us absolutely HATE her. I could list the reasons here but they are irrelevant. Lana has taken the place of every other companion and advisor and feels like she's constantly being shoved down the throats of those who can't stand her and the game decides that you are her BFF regardless of how you treat her or what the player actually thinks. This generates extra resentment of her since characters we actually like have been erased from the story while Lana gets all the care and attention. The writers don't want to give us the option to be evil and kill her, fine there is another way: let us part ways with her amicably. Any of these scenarios would make sense and not require writing a "justification" for killing her.

-If you return to or join the Republic, she leaves and joins the Empire (unless romanced)
-The goal of the alliance was defeating the Eternal Empire and that is now accomplished, you can go your separate ways.
-Simply tell her things aren't working out and you want to part ways.

Please stop constantly forcing this character on people who hate her BioWare.

JakRoanin
12.18.2018 , 04:28 PM | #2
Okay if this thread turns into a warzone I'll assume Lana fans can't read or do not understand the word "Amicably!" I totally don't want to kill ANY companions! I don't like it. I NEVER EVER wanted to kill Lana but she has got to go for some of us because it makes no sense to keep her with some of the choices we have.

I never play Dark Side, but it doesn't make any sense for her to stay with a Dark V psycho brute. It doesn't make sense for her to stay with Light V Pubs. It doesn't make sense for her to stay with Imperial Saboteurs! I just want my game to make sense for my own story please.

Nefla
12.18.2018 , 04:31 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by JakRoanin View Post
Okay if this thread turns into a warzone I'll assume Lana fans can't read or do not understand the word "Amicably!" I totally don't want to kill ANY companions! I don't like it. I NEVER EVER wanted to kill Lana but she has got to go for some of us because it makes no sense to keep her with some of the choices we have.

I never play Dark Side, but it doesn't make any sense for her to stay with a Dark V psycho brute. It doesn't make sense for her to stay with Light V Pubs. It doesn't make sense for her to stay with Imperial Saboteurs! I just want my game to make sense for my own story please.
Same here, killing her isn't my preference-peacefully parting ways is. I just don't want her forced on me anymore!

Inspirals
12.18.2018 , 04:55 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by JakRoanin View Post

It really doesn't matter if the word "amicably" is in the thread title, because this is very obviously a thinly-disguised Lana hate thread.
Wait, I take that back. It's not even thinly-disguised.

Suzsi
12.18.2018 , 05:06 PM | #5
I don't even see why she has to always give us the quests. I mean I don't dislike Lana, on the contrary i have one Lanamancer and I consider her a good friend to some of my other toons but.... I find it really odd that our characters, the commander of the alliance no less is never in the Command Center to take the calls for assistance him/herself. It always comes from someone else. Then she wouldn't be constantly thrown at the PC for those who don't like her as well but also it would make sense for the Commander to like, do some work around the base, hand out assignments etc.

It also would have made equal sense for our force user advisor to be the one to bring this latest development to the Commanders attention. We have these advisors, some great chars there that are never used. Mix it all up a bit. Its starting to feel like a one or two person alliance with a Commander who twiddles their thumbs waiting on Theron or Lana to come up with the goods.

The command center always looks like a ghost town these days when it should be alive with activity, even random unknown npcs in the background would make it look more alive but its just.. not?

Random npc: Hey commander incoming call from person xxx insisting on speaking with you.. all it would take to actually feel like the commander of the alliance and like you were actually in the CC doing something.. without the need for it always being Lana(previously Lana and Theron).

JennyFlynn
12.18.2018 , 05:26 PM | #6
You could send Lana on her merry way with a credit bonus, flowers, champagne and a box of chocolates thanking her kindly for her services and certain Lana fans will still get angry. Why? Because it's believed that it isn't just death that reduces/ends a character's story presence, it's exile/leaving too. That any method of removing a character from your personal story, no matter how amicably, removes that character for everyone regardless of their own choices. Thus we are all expected to just keep putting up with Lana and stop complaining.

That said, I agree. I would like to tell her that now the war with the Eternal Empire has ended and the Alliance has served its purpose, it's time we part ways. It's not as if I would trust a Sith to keep my secrets as I work to sabotage the Empire and we were never that close to begin with. So yes, I would like the option to tell her goodbye. Let Bioware find an alternative for Lana's neverending presence and at this rate, I'd take a bag of Hutt turdballs as a quest-giver over Lana.
--------{---({@ Defiant Devotion | Defying Destiny | SWTOR Prompt Oneshots @}}>---}-------

Paulsutherland
12.18.2018 , 05:32 PM | #7
Maybe she'll be injured during an attack on Odessen by the [enemy faction]? and abscent from the plot for awhile.

Nefla
12.18.2018 , 05:48 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Inspirals View Post
It really doesn't matter if the word "amicably" is in the thread title, because this is very obviously a thinly-disguised Lana hate thread.
Wait, I take that back. It's not even thinly-disguised.
It's not meant to be "disguised," I say flat out in the OP that many of us hate her. If the devs don't want her to have a kill option because they think it would be cruel or not make sense then fine, letting our characters peacefully go their separate ways does the job just as well. In the twitch stream, it was clear the devs had seen the requests for Lana's death and rejected them as being cruel or illogical(since Lana does nothing but fawn over you and follow you loyally like a lost puppy), I wanted to make this thread to show that it's not just "kill everyone because DSV crazy" players that want her gone, and death isn't the only option to be rid of her.

Quote: Originally Posted by JennyFlynn View Post
You could send Lana on her merry way with a credit bonus, flowers, champagne and a box of chocolates thanking her kindly for her services and certain Lana fans will still get angry. Why? Because it's believed that it isn't just death that reduces/ends a character's story presence, it's exile/leaving too. That any method of removing a character from your personal story, no matter how amicably, removes that character for everyone regardless of their own choices. Thus we are all expected to just keep putting up with Lana and stop complaining.

That said, I agree. I would like to tell her that now the war with the Eternal Empire has ended and the Alliance has served its purpose, it's time we part ways. It's not as if I would trust a Sith to keep my secrets as I work to sabotage the Empire and we were never that close to begin with. So yes, I would like the option to tell her goodbye. Let Bioware find an alternative for Lana's neverending presence and at this rate, I'd take a bag of Hutt turdballs as a quest-giver over Lana.
I actually find their obsession with her a little creepy, they leap to defend her "honor" and say how whatever grievances we have against her are the writer's fault and not her fault as if those are separate things and she's a real person. As long as Lana is untouchable and takes up the majority of companion screen time, the writers will be satisfied that their designated waifu/BFF fills the role of companion and lover for everyone and will not work to balance or change things. If they let us get rid of her as well, things will have to change. They'll have to actually put work into balancing the character roster by either writing scenarios for the 90% of people who DIDN'T kill their previous companions or giving all of us a small crew of NEW companions that aren't dead, but something needs to change. The Lana Variety Hour is excruciating for those of us who hate her and her replacement of all the other companions is just salt in the wounds.

And yes, a bag of Hutt turdballs would be preferable to Lana in my eyes as well lmao!

Goreshaga
12.18.2018 , 05:54 PM | #9
I don't necessarily want her to go away, though there are a few things i'd like to see change a bit in order not to get overdosed with Lana and not start hating her.

- I'd like, at least sometimes, for other NPCs to be my quest givers for a change , especially when they make more sense than Lana.
- I'd like for her not to be considered the "default" romance for every PC around and not getting 2 romance scenes when other LIs get near to nothing, if anything at all.
- I'd like for her not to be the person with the most worried look on her face about my PC when she's not supposed to be the closest one to them (which, while i like her, she never is). That's fine on a romanced Lana, but if my characters are romancing anyone else, that should not be Lana the most worried, at the very least when said LI is in the same room...

So far, i still like her, but i might seiously become really tired and even angered by her, if she keeps being the only NPC my characters interact with while on Odessen.

Ranz
12.18.2018 , 06:09 PM | #10
I don't mind having the option to part with any companions, either amicably or otherwise, but I will say that Bioware makes this game, they also made the Mass Effect trilogy, a story in which Liara had the thickest plot armor ever. Maybe they have big plans for Lana?

Disclosure: I happen to like the character Lana quite a bit, but I can understand the angst for players who do not.