UI Feedback: Inventory

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

One of the things you may have noticed is that with the Onslaught expansion we are making a number of UI improvements. Some of these are improvements on existing systems, others are completely new interfaces for new systems. Reminder that all of this is still a work in progress so don't focus your feedback too much on visual fidelity and focus on functionality. Also, please avoid gameplay feedback as we are really seeking thoughts about the interface only in this thread.

Please share your feedback on the inventory. The types of feedback we are looking for:

• Did you notice new quick access icons around the inventory?
  • Is it clear what these buttons do?
  • Were you able to identify items which could be an upgrade (or not) for you?

Those are just some examples, share any thoughts you have!

Thanks.

-eric

Please share your feedback on the inventory. The types of feedback we are looking for:

Did I notice the icons? Yes.

Is it clear what they do? Not straight away, but the hover tooltip works and clicking on them reveals what they do easy enough.

There are 2 icons at the top that do not appear to do anything currently, they look like the Deconstruct and Materials icons on the side. We do need instruction on these, or is there a plan? Gonna start playing with these and see if I can figure them out.

If inventory window is located on the far left of the screen, the hover tooltip is off screen and unreadable. Obvious work-around is to move window in a non-fixed window UI. Need to adjust so the tooltip stays on screen at all times.

Identifying upgrades? Yes and no. For side grades, i.e. tanking items can get the upgrade arrow for essentially the same thing, only difference being shield and absorb rating. It does appear to prefer absorb though.

Also, will see the upgrade arrow for gear intended for a different discipline. Since I'm testing on a PT, my observations and notes here are from working with this class.

Have run into issues with slotted gear (Gear you can put armor, mods and enhancements into). Specifically when comparing to a non-slotted item, the stats from the mod items do not always appear to be added up correctly. As a result a piece of non-slot gear may appear to be an upgrade (with/without arrow), and will show massive +432 next to a stat, when in fact the real difference is +4 or even -20

LOVING the new materials inventory!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Just would ask for one improvement, a toggle for depositing gathered materials into the material inventory or personal inventory. I am asking because when I send my active companion to collect a node, I am not sure if he/she is actually bringing anything back.

Edited by Aberd

Why are the collections button and pack explorer button glowing orange? I keep thinking I'm supposed to click on them for something. It's very distracting. (Kind of like the flashing neon green signs over vendors is very distracting in a not good way!)

I can't figure out what the buttons on the top that match the side deconstruction & materials buttons do. They have a green arrow pointing to the side. Why?

I haven't figured out what those two icons in the upper left corner do. If you right click them, you get a pop down menu that lists loc:284:inventory, loc:285:inventory, loc:286:inventory and loc:287:inventory. I'm guessing 'loc' stands for location? The numbers 284-286, a slot identifier?. 'inventory' well, um.. I guess inventory. I had green equipment in my inventory window and clicked on the deconstruction one (with green arrow pointing to the left) and nothing happened. I assume it supposed to grab all my green gear in my inventory window and move them all to the Deconstruction window. If that's the case, then that is dangerous. If i'm holding onto a green something for whatever reason in my inventory, and I click that icon, I could lose it with all the other green stuff I intended. Just think of it as dangerous as the <Reset Decorations in Room> button in our strongholds. It usually resets more than just the room your in. Anyhow, it needs to be defined better or something.

As for the icons on the left side, I see no reason why you added Renoun Stash, Collections, and Pack Explorer buttons. All of those can be accessed from the pull down menus at the top of the screen. Question: why are Collections and Pack Explorer colored Gold and the other 3 are Blue? Anyhow, just seems like wasted time and effort that could have been applied elsewhere.

Instead of those 3 new ones, I would have you rather create a new icon on the left that opens a whole new window that holds just Scaps. Since we're getting a lot more of the Scavenged Scraps, Assorted Droid Parts, and Jawa Junks They are constantly taking up more space in our inventory and we have to manually deposit them into either our Cargo Holds or Legacy Stronghold Storage.

Still can not deposit Lustrous Red, Green, or Blue Crystals into the new Materials Inventory. Get error msg: There was a problem depositing into the materials stash.

If your up for adding something that is QoL and useful.... How about putting the price of all items that sells to vendors in the pop up tooltip? When I'm out in the field, not near a vendor, my inventory is full, and I need to throw something away to make room for something more valuable. I can't see what the price of the item is. When I have the GTN window open, I have to close it, click on a vendor to see the price it sells for, close that window, then go back and reopen the GTN to sell it. That would be really useful.

As for the Mission Items window. I've always felt that it was a wasted window. I've never had more than maybe 10-11 items in that window all at one time. The rest of the 70 slots are never used and just seems like a waste of useful space. Perhaps, Like my suggestion above, create a new icon on the left side of the Inventory window, call it Mission Items and create a smaller pop up window that holds maybe 15-20 items, just like the Deconstruct window has. That allows you to convert the current Mission items window into say expanded space for items such as Toys, IE: Ball Toss, Reusable Jawa Grams, Portable Holo Dancer, whatever and call it Expanded Inventory or whatever .... or.....OR...Take that space and allow us to drop our most used Emotes in there!!! The drop down menus in the upper left corner are so unhelpful when it comes to using emotes. You can't find things fast enough and I forget which character has which emotes and eventually never end up using them cause that drop down menu is really messy and clunky. Since we can't put our Emotes on our menu bars, and even if we could, there isn't enough menubar spaces to put all the ones we want, that would be a GREAT place to put the ones we want, organize it how we want and use them more frequently. I would actually like that idea better than expanded space but either would be a huge QoL improvement.

If I come up with more ideas, you know you'll hear from me.

Edited by Banthabreeder

Tacticals. If you have a Tactical equipped and you float your cursor over a different one in your inventory, it does not show or compare to the currently equipped one. It just displays the info about the one in your inventory.

Yes, I'm aware not one Tactical is better or worse than any other Tactical. It just would be nice to see which one, if any, you have equipped or not rather than have to open the character window as well the Inventory window at the same time to see and or compare.

Edited by Banthabreeder

Hey folks,

One of the things you may have noticed is that with the Onslaught expansion we are making a number of UI improvements. Some of these are improvements on existing systems, others are completely new interfaces for new systems. Reminder that all of this is still a work in progress so don't focus your feedback too much on visual fidelity and focus on functionality. Also, please avoid gameplay feedback as we are really seeking thoughts about the interface only in this thread.

Those are just some examples, share any thoughts you have!

Thanks.

-eric

At first glance yesterday :

1. I didn’t notice them

2. Because I didn’t notice them I don’t know what they do

3. Refer to 1 & 2

I will look again when I login later.

Yes, I'm able to understand it. As far as the upgrades though it depends, sometimes a piece that is noted as an upgrade merely has more absorb or defense so its a side-upgrade at best, my suggestion would be the following:

Green Arrow; Complete upgrades, all stats are better than what you have now.

Blue Arrow; Primary stats Upgrades.

Yellow Arrow; Secondary/Tertiary stats upgrades.

And of course having the option in the user interface to turn off those arrows, as some people have requested. I don't mind them that much but I can relate to thinking something like that is annoying, IE: The abilities highlights which I always turn off as it distracts me during my rotation. So have it be optional if you can.

I dont know if this should go here but I think removing the shield icon from the legacy bound shells and making their icons change color depending on the armor was a mistake (at least removing the shield) many people are gonna sell stuff thinking it was some random drop.

This game has already so many items in inventory, removing things that make stuff easier to spot at a single glance feels like a step backwards.

I haven't figured out what those two icons in the upper left corner do. If you right click them, you get a pop down menu that lists loc:284:inventory, loc:285:inventory, loc:286:inventory and loc:287:inventory. I'm guessing 'loc' stands for location? The numbers 284-286, a slot identifier?.

That was my main question, too. What do these 2 buttons do? Are they broken?

Yes, I noticed new buttons and have used the deconstruction and materials buttons.

Note: When I tested the materials window, it would repeatedly pop up again (and close again) whenever I hit the spacebar. This was before the last patch though. I don't know if this bug prevails, but it made the game unplayable.

The side buttons yes. The two top buttons (see top of this post) not.

Well, there is a green arrow on items the game considers an upgrade. However, it also shows items which actually are a downgrade. I got a green 270 relic which had worse stats than my augmented 258 relics. But it showed an arrow as 270 >>> 258.

What I find terrible is that the character sheet icon in the top navigation menu blinks golden if I have an item with an arrow in my inventory. Can you please not do that? Thank you.

By the way, isn't it a bit late to test these things now, a month before release? Shouldn't this have been tested months ago, so that there would be enough time to fix bugs? And bugs created by bugfixes? :confused: