SWTOR is too hard for me

swcfrost

Repairing gear is something I do on reflex.

Every medical droid I see to sell off stuff? "Repair All", please.

Even if you don't end up getting defeated, gear will wear down from you taking a pounding. Mend it whenever you can and it'll give you more chances if you hit a rough patch- or heck, if you get defeated, go to a medcenter instead of reviving on the spot, repair immediately, get back in it.

**THIS**

Lots of good ideas here but having run many missionswith others I can say :

I see people going right back to a boss fight after a wipe. Have you looked at the equip in that state? You might as well try again with your arm tied behind your back.

2. People don't fully heal themselves after each skirmish. They go into the next battle with some health deficit. That is not the healer's responsibility. We all have a self-heal we should religiously use immediately after combat, just in case an accidental pull happens.

3. Just because your orange gear says your level, look again. If ONE Armoring is up to snuff, the whole thing will say up to level. But, you could have a mod that is 2 levels low. Or an Enhancmenet that is 1 level or 2 low.

CHECK EVERY MOD/BARREL/CRYSTAL/ENHANCEMENT in every piece. Or you're gimping yourself. If you can use a level 25 mod, and you're using a level 15 mod, even if your armor is for level 25, you're still short on your stats because your mod is under, but your armor will say it's at level.

4.Plan first. Then act. Don't just run and gun. That's a great way to get dead. Most mobs are in small groups and if you're careful you don't aggro any but that litte group. So be careful with skills that throw mobs into the next group and draws aggro from 4 more mobs.

Careful too when using auto-target next closest enemy. Becasue it might get killed by someone else, and then you'll auto target a mob in a new group and blammo (happened to me tonight). We survived it but it hurts.

And what everyone else said. I did have a few tough bosses. I went, gained one level, upgraded my gear thoroughly, (including relics, earpieces, implants) and tried a different companion. Viola!

This game does not reward impatience, it does reward strategy and thoughtfulness. Except apparently in pvp but I know nothing about that. It's a whole diff. animal. You can't just aggro any old thing and expect to live. You have to think. Be patient. Be careful. Be prepared.

All this and what all the people before me said. This is my first mmo and I have one max lvl (healer - 2 of her bosses were real tough Vivicar) but she did them.

if you don't want to waste time on gear, you won't last. This game is extremely gear dependent. Keep it upgraded AND repaired.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff guys. Just a few additional observations.

1. If you get stuck. Don't get discouraged. There are certain bosses that are meant to be much tougher than others even at level. If you are really stuck and have followed the advice here, go get a friend or ask for help in chat. This is a multiplayer game and it is not a bad thing , in a pinch, to group and take down a particularly tough opponent.

2. As was mentioned, be patient. Not only with your strategy but with yourself. Learning rotations and your special abilities takes time. But if you keep at it you will learn how to fight. Personally, I capped at 50 and went back and started an alt just to see what I had learned. Sure enough, going back through, I'm burning down Elites at level without much issue.

3. Use your companion the right way. Yes companions fill certain roles. Some tank, some dps, some heal. Use them in a way that is appropriate for their role. If you fight the same way with all companions you are not making good use out of them. BTW, for you Jedi dps types, T7 is a good little tank. Send him in first into a mob and he will pull aggro. After that you can truly play dps and mow down the trash and burn down the strong.

Thanks for the replies guys and keep going! When you cap you are not done by a long shot.

One more quick thought. Remember, the rules for gear apply to your companion as well. Keep their gear as close to level as possible. If you repair your gear and they are not with you, their gear will not get repaired!

An effective companion is a must as you move through the harder content.

1 question, why the hell are u playing an MMO(Massively Multiplayer Online Game, if you didn't know) if you DONT WANT to group? Totally defeats the purpose of the game being an MMO

No it doesn't. An mmo is just a single player RPG that happens to have other people in it. Plenty of people play & enjoy mmo's by themselves.

I felt like adding something here. I too found the class "bosses" a bit too tough when I levelled my Inquisitor. It's not that the fights were particularily difficult themselves, but how they started. I dunno 'bout you guys, but when I'm about to fight an important enemy I'd like to prepare, buff up, make sure I open up with the right skills etcetera. But when the game just jumps me into a fight just after a conversation there's little time to do that and I'm often taken off-guard which in most cases causes brief confusion followed by death.

It's also kinda unfair that the boss who was, just a moment ago, standing by himself suddenly has three other guys to back him up even though I cleared the room. Until I got to level 50 I just focused on taking down the adds first, dying, then ressing and then taking my time to attack. It's definitely easier now since I've gotten used to it, but I still consider it a bit tedious at best.

I felt like adding something here. I too found the class "bosses" a bit too tough when I levelled my Inquisitor. It's not that the fights were particularily difficult themselves, but how they started. I dunno 'bout you guys, but when I'm about to fight an important enemy I'd like to prepare, buff up, make sure I open up with the right skills etcetera. But when the game just jumps me into a fight just after a conversation there's little time to do that and I'm often taken off-guard which in most cases causes brief confusion followed by death.

It's also kinda unfair that the boss who was, just a moment ago, standing by himself suddenly has three other guys to back him up even though I cleared the room. Until I got to level 50 I just focused on taking down the adds first, dying, then ressing and then taking my time to attack. It's definitely easier now since I've gotten used to it, but I still consider it a bit tedious at best.

When you walk into a room and start one of these conversations where you see that's going to happen, hit ESC, buff up, and then start it again. I frequently go through dialogues multiple times (and not just with "story" bosses), trying the different options, just to see how the NPCs (and my character/companion) will respond. Once you work out how the convo goes and where the "end point" is, you can ESC out, buff up, and then just spacebar through to the fight, and be ready for it.

All of my bosses (especially story mission bosses) are way too difficult to defeat for me and I often have to ask people for help. I have tried a few classes out and for all of them it is the same problem. Shouldn't people who want to play the game mostly by themselves be able to defeat bosses alone? Does anyone else have this problem?

If you level just using the class quest then yes, you might struggle. If you have a companion that heals it's easier. But if you're struggling then do other things to get XP so you are a level or two above your boss, then should be a lot easier.

Not everyone is born 733t-killers so show the OP some respect.

Exactly. And they might be new to MMOs and the way they responded I wouldn't blame them to be put off a bit. It's one of the things I hate about that area of the MMO community.

When you walk into a room and start one of these conversations where you see that's going to happen, hit ESC, buff up, and then start it again. I frequently go through dialogues multiple times (and not just with "story" bosses), trying the different options, just to see how the NPCs (and my character/companion) will respond. Once you work out how the convo goes and where the "end point" is, you can ESC out, buff up, and then just spacebar through to the fight, and be ready for it.

I guess that's the best advice for these sorts of fights. Thanks :)

Not everyone is born 733t-killers so show the OP some respect.

My suggestion is that you take a look at your spec and your gear and see how you can improve there. also important to match your spec with your companion. If for example you are tank specced then use a healing (or DPS) companion if you are DPS use a tank (or heal) companion and if you are heal specced use a DPS (or tank) companion.

words of wisdom

• 10 months later...
All of my bosses (especially story mission bosses) are way too difficult to defeat for me and I often have to ask people for help. I have tried a few classes out and for all of them it is the same problem. Shouldn't people who want to play the game mostly by themselves be able to defeat bosses alone? Does anyone else have this problem?

I completely agree with you. I've started playing this game a week ago. I got to lvl 24, and I am being sent to Tatooine (or whatever the name is). It's pretty much impossible doing the bosses that are part of the class quest-line, and frankly it's annoying having to ask guild mates to help me out all the time. So, I decided to do some PVP to get a couple of levels and go back to the planet at lvl 26. I managed to complete a couple of Class quests, and then I was back to square one. So, right now I am left with two choices; level up to 50 only by doing PVP, or bother people in my guild to contantly help me out with my own quests.

It's no wonder the game didn't become as successful as they hoped.

I completely agree with you. I've started playing this game a week ago. I got to lvl 24, and I am being sent to Tatooine (or whatever the name is). It's pretty much impossible doing the bosses that are part of the class quest-line, and frankly it's annoying having to ask guild mates to help me out all the time. So, I decided to do some PVP to get a couple of levels and go back to the planet at lvl 26. I managed to complete a couple of Class quests, and then I was back to square one. So, right now I am left with two choices; level up to 50 only by doing PVP, or bother people in my guild to contantly help me out with my own quests.

It's no wonder the game didn't become as successful as they hoped.

This thread is over 10 months old. None of the people who posted previously even remember it. If you're having that hard a time with it, you probably skipped a whole bunch of side quests on a previous planet. Or you've grossly neglected your gear.

If you'd like some tips, I'd be glad to help if you PM me. But please let this thread go back to the depths of obscurity where you found it.

Exactly. And they might be new to MMOs and the way they responded I wouldn't blame them to be put off a bit. It's one of the things I hate about that area of the MMO community.

Being unable to beat bosses because you're new to the game doesn't mean it's the game's fault whatsoever. Hate the player, not the game.

The game is, quite frankly, TOO easy. I can solo Heroic 2s and some 4s with ease on various characters.

• 4 weeks later...

i couldnt agree more. not everyone is that proficciant at games. so why bad mouth them for it. if this world was full of people that were great at everything we wouldnt need armys.

take me for instance i had a rough time on draggh the second go around. no class boss should force me to kite him so my companion can kill him. i didnt relise i was playing star wars: the companion quest.

Don't feel bad bro, I've never played a MMO before swtor, & I've been playing for about two weeks now. My Jedi sentinel has been gettin murked on a regular basis by a Sith lord in the Jedi temple. I play solo because I have no guild, or friends who play swtor (we all console gamers). Just keep at it tho...I'm sure we'll eventually figure this game out.

If you still feel you're struggling, try starting over again with a Bounty Hunter. Choose Powertech as your advanced class, and go full tank spec (the left hand skill tree). Your first companion will be a healer, and you get her very early. This will give you the widest possible margin of error on harder fights, so as long as the boss isn't healing nonstop, you should be able to grind them down; at worst it will just take a while.

Make sure you're using all the gear you get as rewards while leveling, and buy some things like implants, earpieces, and relics off the GTN to fill in slots that won't get filled with your usual leveling rewards. Do the same for your companion. For a healer companion, always look for gear that adds her main stat (cunning, for Mako) and power to boost her heals. For you, look for main stat (aim, for bounty hunter), and shield, absorb, or defense (but prefer shield and absorb if you can).

Make sure you have a shield generator equipped and your tank stance (Ion Cylinder) activated. Remember that you have defensive abilities that you can pop at certain times for a big boost in survivability (to give your healer a chance to catch up with heavy damage), and don't forget your Heroic Moment; it can save you at the end of a long hard fight.

Make sure you're visiting your trainer regularly to train and upgrade your abilities. You already said you're a couple levels past most bosses, so that will help as long as your gear and powers are up to date.

And as someone else mentioned, don't forget to repair your gear regularly, every time you pass a Medical Droid.

Also, don't stand in the fire. If you see a whole lot of lightning or other dangerous stuff falling all around you, or you have a giant target on the ground at your feet, you want to be somewhere else as soon as possible. Most bosses in the story line missions have only one or two big attacks that you can either interrupt, or just move out of the target area for. If you can avoid those or interrupt them, you will have a much easier time.