Slicing vs. Treasure Hunting missions credit yields

Zaishar

Sorry if this has been asked before, but my searches came up empty.

How does Treasure Hunting compare to Slicing with regards to lockbox missions? Are their yields similar, or is one significantly better than the other?

I currently have maxxed Artifice, Archeology, and Slicing at L50. As a result, I'm pretty much at the mercy of GTN for Treasure Hunting Gems crafting materials. I'm considering replacing Slicing with Treasure Hunting, but only if Treasure Hunting lockbox missions return similar credit yields to Slicing lockbox missions.

I've also been told that by endgame, all crafted equipment will be outmoded by hard mode and raid level gear, so that there's no need to invest in Artifice + Treasure Hunting.

Thoughts / Comments appreciated.

I didn't track the credit yields very closely, but after the nerf to Slicing, it felt like Slicing was still generating more credits. TH doesn't really make money when you do lockboxes, as it's almost always a mild loss. It's really more of a way to level up TH without spending much money along the way. TH is really more about the gems.

I typically get around +100 to +1000 credits net yield when my slicing missions succeed, up to +6000cr on criticals. I only do T4, T5, and T6 abundant or higher reward slicing missions. Does Treasure Hunting return anything remotely close at L50? Edited by Zaishar

Sorry if this has been asked before, but my searches came up empty.

How does Treasure Hunting compare to Slicing with regards to lockbox missions? Are their yields similar, or is one significantly better than the other?

I currently have maxxed Artifice, Archeology, and Slicing at L50. As a result, I'm pretty much at the mercy of GTN for Treasure Hunting Gems crafting materials. I'm considering replacing Slicing with Treasure Hunting, but only if Treasure Hunting lockbox missions return similar credit yields to Slicing lockbox missions.

I've also been told that by endgame, all crafted equipment will be outmoded by hard mode and raid level gear, so that there's no need to invest in Artifice + Treasure Hunting.

Thoughts / Comments appreciated.

Slicing is a gathering skill so it should always be much more profitable than TH, as TH is mission only skill and you MUST use companions to do treasure hunting, which costs money.

with slicing you should go out and gather instead of using companions

Slicing is a gathering skill so it should always be much more profitable than TH, as TH is mission only skill and you MUST use companions to do treasure hunting, which costs money.

with slicing you should go out and gather instead of using companions

Yes, but I am also trying to see if Treasure Hunting will be a viable credit generator in addition to providing Artifice crafting materials. At L50, I can already deploy 5 companions at a time for missions + crafting. As a result, I need the actual lockbox mission yield numbers treasure hunting generates. I already know how much slicing generates via missions, but how does treasure hunting compare in this category?

At the moment, I am spending more credits on GTN treasure hunting gems than any other item. I am trying to see if Treasure Hunting should replace my Slicing long term...

Edited by Zaishar

Generally speaking, when a TH lockbox mission "crits," one of a few things happen:

- The box keeps the same number of credits and has an additional item of varying quality

- The first box keeps the same number of credits and a second additional one will have an item (these extra boxes are usually prototype or artifact); I don't remember if the second boxes ever contain credits

- The box has no credits and just an item of varying quality

In my experience, TH lockbox missions don't ever net credits unless you get lucky by getting a good prototype/artifact item.

your crafted gear may be out done in end game by hard mode and raid gear, but how are you gonna get to the hard mode gear? im lvl 400 artifice, arch, and treasure hunting and craft all my own hilts, crystals, and enhancements.

i find the hardest thing to get is the armoring and mods to help boost my stats, even on the gtn they are hard to find.

as for the lockboxes, the yield is no where near the same. most times you just break even on credit cases, but when you do hit a critical hit on treasure hunting, ive gotten some good blue and purple items that i have sold on the gtn for a small fortune.

im lvl 50 now, still not even through voss, and crafting purple lvl 49 items. and sitting at about 500k. but still only on lvl 1 speeder and my first speeder. havent found that i needed the increased 10% movement speed.

so really its all dependent on if you want to be able to be self sufficient crafting

Generally speaking, when a TH lockbox mission "crits," one of a few things happen:

- The box keeps the same number of credits and has an additional item of varying quality

- The first box keeps the same number of credits and a second additional one will have an item (these extra boxes are usually prototype or artifact); I don't remember if the second boxes ever contain credits

- The box has no credits and just an item of varying quality

In my experience, TH lockbox missions don't ever net credits unless you get lucky by getting a good prototype/artifact item.

Thanks for the input. Is this also the case at L50 with maxxed companion affection?

Thanks for the input. Is this also the case at L50 with maxxed companion affection?

Yes, and I've ran quite a lot of TH missions with Kira as well who has +1 TH critical. It is possible that the "extra" box that can result from a crit does have credits and I simply haven't noticed, but the extra box crit doesn't happen as often as the other results.

your crafted gear may be out done in end game by hard mode and raid gear, but how are you gonna get to the hard mode gear? im lvl 400 artifice, arch, and treasure hunting and craft all my own hilts, crystals, and enhancements.

i find the hardest thing to get is the armoring and mods to help boost my stats, even on the gtn they are hard to find.

as for the lockboxes, the yield is no where near the same. most times you just break even on credit cases, but when you do hit a critical hit on treasure hunting, ive gotten some good blue and purple items that i have sold on the gtn for a small fortune.

im lvl 50 now, still not even through voss, and crafting purple lvl 49 items. and sitting at about 500k. but still only on lvl 1 speeder and my first speeder. havent found that i needed the increased 10% movement speed.

so really its all dependent on if you want to be able to be self sufficient crafting

I just finished the Sith Inquisitor Assasin story line. I had about 550k when I hit L50, and once I purchased every trainable skill and L3 speeder, I had about 100k remaining. I'm about to hit Ilum to start doing daily's there.

I originally replaced Treasure Hunting with Slicing at an early level because it was a much better credit generator while performing story line missions. It took less than 4 days to go from zero to 400 Slicing with only 2 companions. With 5 deployable companions, I can re-max it in under 4 days if necessary. GTN Treasure Hunting Grade 6 gemstones are just ridiculously rare at this time, and with 12k asking prices on Begeren for a single G6 purple crafting gem, Treasure Hunting might be more viable than Slicing for my crafter's near future.