George Lucas Blames 'Star Wars' Critics for Killing Series

KaidinVox

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, it is the critics that ruined the franchise, i loved every single movie, they all fit well, and i even love the animated series, george did a good job, it's everyone else that's an arrogant little sod nowadays, you can't go out your front door without having someone tell you that you're exiting your house wrong.

Weak negative spin. :U If they wanted to be fully objective, they wouldn't have sniped out specific phrases without further context.

Not saying he's exactly being mature ("Fine. Don't like the way I do it? I'M TAKING MY BALL AND GOING HOME! Screw you guys."), but this is weak journalism at it's best.

"I'm moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff,"

Finally? Star Wars is always better when George Lucas doesn't have full control over it (or preferably is not involved at all). He cannot direct, he cannot write a screenplay and the sooner he accepts that the sooner we can have another Empire Strikes Back.

Edited by Bone_Machine

I feel for the guy. I have always found it hilarious how so many fans recognize Lucas as only a demon sent to come ruin their precious Star Wars saga. :p

Anyhow, I doubt he's going to remain entirely uninvolved, I am sure he will still be consulted and talk with people about his universe.

i admit i hated the first of the prequels as it seemed terribly juvenile <meh i was a a child when i first rounded up family to let me get into see the first star wars movie as i think it was originally AA or something like that due to violence> but i like the character build from obwan and all the rest even though i hated the immature points.

i think the only thing i truly disliked was the adding into the movies that was done but it was and is within the rights of the producer to do so so i might get annoyed but it didn't kill the stories for me

i still ask whether part of the issue with the movies and the lack of enthusiasm for them wasn't because of the length between their production and release to the release for a new one. <it seemed like it was forever from new hope to strikes back and we won't even mention return of the jedi to the first prequel>

though i would love to see another star wars movie the continuity would be lost if they used the old characters are all the actors have aged or changed a lot <you can probably have chewie back but sadly they KILLED him (still annoyed with that series)>

he might not want to make another one atm but then he didn't want to make the last indiana jones either but got pushed there

everyone find a face book page or found one and we can start a petitions and show that though the critics might be negative the views all think that critics can go some where presumably very warm

if anyone can link this please feel free to let Mr Lucas know that the people who actually go out to movies or buy them usually don't care a damned about the critics <some of my favourite movies were hated by the critics>

up the revolution from old world critics and censors and down with those stuffed shirts who believe only they know the truth.

Maybe if the movie wasn't complete garbage the critics wouldn't trash it.

The movies weren't complete garbage, they were different. The prequels were built very different from most other movies, which I find bold, rather than stupid. People are just so prejudiced about how a movie should be, and even if it is so, then they'll still complain.

Star Wars fans, the ones who hate on characters like Jar Jar Binks shouldn't call themselves Star Wars fans at all, saying he doesn't belong in the Star Wars universe is complete and utter nonsense. Think about this, in a huge universe like Star Wars, would it really be unreasonable to find a character like Jar Jar Binks in that universe?

Stop this prejudiced nonsense and enjoy the universe how it's made, and not how you think it should be (This is not your universe!).

The problem with George Lucas is that he surrounds himself during movie production with people unwilling to challenge his ideas, they all say yes and oh isn't this ridiculous idea visionary..

Take a look at the movie reviews in depth with the redlettermedia plinket review of them, besides being hilarious it has a point, the end of the phantom menace had 4 or 5 endings to it, you had the capturing the vice roy, the young annoying anakin flying his star fighter, the jedi's battling a sith (with no explanation during the prequels at all what a sith is, only that they are bad and that they come in two's) and lastly jar jar and his gungan army - All happening at the same time... You basically don't feel infested in the films ending as its switching between the 5 of them..

Not to mention the Love story that is forced on the audience between anakin and padema - Oh all of a sudden i love you, yes I love you too (out of no where) then the sad people killed my mother so i committed genocide on them, and the reaction from her is like oh well life goes on - He just committed genocide!!!!

Its not that he is bad at film making its just no one is willing to challenge on silly concepts anymore, stephen speilberg didn't on the last indiana jones disaster and you see the result - aliens, russians and the unforgivable casting of Shia Le boff.

Edited by Willuk

Finally? Star Wars is always better when George Lucas doesn't have full control over it (or preferably is not involved at all). He cannot direct, he cannot write a screenplay and the sooner he accepts that the sooner we can have another Empire Strikes Back.

I've always loved this line of thought from his "critics."

You do realise that he always had full control over Star Wars, right? There was never a time when he didn't. No one, not a single person, not even a studio exec, ever had the power to say to him, "Take this out and put this in." Every single thing that was put into the movies (yes, including The Empire Strikes Back) was done so only on his say-so. No one could overrule him on any decision made.

Yes, he can't direct and has no business behind a camera, but to say "it was better when he didn't have full control" is laughable.

The problem with George Lucas is that he surrounds himself during movie production with people unwilling to challenge his ideas, they all say yes and oh isn't this ridiculous idea visionary..

Take a look at the movie reviews in depth with the redlettermedia plinket review of them, besides being hilarious it has a point, the end of the phantom menace had 4 or 5 endings to it, you had the capturing the vice roy, the young annoying anakin flying his star fighter, the jedi's battling a sith (with no explanation during the prequels at all what a sith is, only that they are bad and that they come in two's) and lastly jar jar and his gungan army - All happening at the same time... You basically don't feel infested in the films ending as its switching between the 5 of them..

Not to mention the Love story that is forced on the audience between anakin and padema - Oh all of a sudden i love you, yes I love you too (out of no where) then the sad people killed my mother so i committed genocide on them, and the reaction from her is like oh well life goes on - He just committed genocide!!!!

Its not that he is bad at film making its just no one is willing to challenge on silly concepts anymore, stephen speilberg didn't on the last indiana jones disaster and you see the result - aliens, russians and the unforgivable casting of Shia Le boff.

your complaints about him surrounding himself with only "yes men" is the same with all big producers these days but then if they surrounded themselves with "nay sayers" no movie would ever get made.

the star wars lore grew up after "new hope" and is often been haphazardly readjusted to fit with the story sadly this is what happens when something grows out of nothingness into a cult genre then into mainstream following.

anakin didn't commit genocide he only killed most of a village (hunters would have still be out hunting) and though bad if you have ever lost people you cared about through tragedy you would understand that anger is part of the process of loss and in the fictional universe of SW vented anger leads to the dark side which pushes you further and further down the path.

lastly indiana jones and the crystal skull was pushed on lucas to be made and i am not sure i ever saw it fully endorsed by him <the movie wasn't bad the trouble is that the story was working around real life issues such as the beginning of the cold war and the fear that they6 guy next door might be a Russian agent>

over all lucas and lucas arts pushed both games and movies to a different direction and regardless of all i think the world will miss him should he choose to finally retire.

I've always loved this line of thought from his "critics."

You do realise that he always had full control over Star Wars, right? There was never a time when he didn't. No one, not a single person, not even a studio exec, ever had the power to say to him, "Take this out and put this in." Every single thing that was put into the movies (yes, including The Empire Strikes Back) was done so only on his say-so. No one could overrule him on any decision made.

Yes, he can't direct and has no business behind a camera, but to say "it was better when he didn't have full control" is laughable.

You're arguing semantics, which is basically the lowest form of debate.

Star Wars was much better when people reigned George Lucas in. Just because he could potentially VETO anything he want, doesn't mean that he did. The best Star Wars products have been all those that he has been the least involved in.

I remember when he said that Star Wars has always been for kids, shortly after the release of Episode 1 and the critique that it was a children's movie. This shows a tremendous disconnect between what Star Wars is to George Lucas, and what Star Wars is to the countless fans of the franchise.

George Lucas' best works have all been colabs. I think that he is a tremendously inspired and creative person. But I also think that he is fundamentally incompetent. He needs teams that stand up to him, and he hasn't had that for 20 years.

If you read the transcripts from the brainstorming sessions of the earlier works and compare it to those of later works such as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, it becomes startlingly obvious that for 20 years, nobody has told him "No, let's do it this way instead.." or just plain "Dude. That is f***ing stupid.". Jar-Jar, the belief that "Star Wars is for kids" or trying to put NSYNC into Attack of the Clones, is all just symptomatic of this one issue.

Edited by Luckmann

You do realise that he always had full control over Star Wars, right?

You need to go back and read about some of the ideas he wanted to put into Star Wars that Fox and in particular Gary Kurtz objected to. If he had the control of Star Wars then that he has now they would have released a movie that was pretty much just a tragic parody of Flash Gordon and I doubt anyone would care about the series.

When he didn't get everything his own way because the producers and distributors challenged him. Or when he surrendered the director's chair and screen play responsibilities to people who actually know what they're doing the results were the best movies in the series. That isn't coincidence.

Likewise The X-Wing series, Dark Forces 1 & 2, as well as Kotor 1 are the best things to take place in the SW universe since Empire precisely because GL had nothing to do with them. (Not to detract from the work of the many skilled people involved in creating those games.)

Edited by Bone_Machine

I think the issue that people had with the prequels is that they felt like a totally different setting and genre.

The originals - especially Empire Strikes Back - felt like serious movies for the most part. Yeah, there were silly parts like R2-D2, but it was measured and metered. It was just the right amount usually. (Ewoks notwithstanding) By and large the rest of the series felt like there was a significant gravity about what was going on.

Then in the prequels, it often just felt like a full on comedy:

"Oh Jar-Jar tripped and grabbed that cart of bombs and it fell open and the bombs all hit some bad guys and oh hahahaha"

"Oh Anakin accidently turned on that fighter and flew up into the bad ship and accidently blew it all up and oh hahaha"

Even most of the villians seemed like a complete joke for the most part, aside from the sith characters themselves. The Trade Federation guys felt like Keystone Cops. The alien characters all seemed like caricatures, just full of silly voices, silly mannerisms, etc. Not just different or exotic, just perpetually silly.

That's probably what put people off the most. The fact that much of the time it felt like we were watching Spaceballs, not Star Wars.

George has a great creative mind and imagination, but hes a poor writer. When people actually challenge his ideas and let him know when something doesnt work, we get Episodes 4-6. When everyone just agrees, we get the prequels. Hell, even the production team for Episode 1 didnt know what to make of it after they watched a screening of the movie. George has a love for modern technology and special effects, thats all fine and good, but he really needs to let others do the script writing and casting and just supervise while working with the special effects (we'll have to wait and see with Red Tails if this still holds true).

Thing is, this isnt just Lucas. Any form of media has to go through people who look over everything and say what should stay and what should go. Because GL's team didn't refute any of his ideas, we got, as Red Letter Media put it, "George using a story to tell great special effects."

Edited by Seisaan

I think the issue that people had with the prequels is that they felt like a totally different setting and genre.

The originals - especially Empire Strikes Back - felt like serious movies for the most part. Yeah, there were silly parts like R2-D2, but it was measured and metered. It was just the right amount usually. (Ewoks notwithstanding) By and large the rest of the series felt like there was a significant gravity about what was going on.

Then in the prequels, it often just felt like a full on comedy:

"Oh Jar-Jar tripped and grabbed that cart of bombs and it fell open and the bombs all hit some bad guys and oh hahahaha"

"Oh Anakin accidently turned on that fighter and flew up into the bad ship and accidently blew it all up and oh hahaha"

Even most of the villians seemed like a complete joke for the most part, aside from the sith characters themselves. The Trade Federation guys felt like Keystone Cops. The alien characters all seemed like caricatures, just full of silly voices, silly mannerisms, etc. Not just different or exotic, just perpetually silly.

That's probably what put people off the most. The fact that much of the time it felt like we were watching Spaceballs, not Star Wars.

This is exactly it. There was a SERIOUS problem with the 3 prequels. None of them felt like a star wars movie. They were filled with bad moments and even worse actors.

They completely and utterly butchered Anakin Skywalker. He was a bumbling idiot and an emotional wreck. Thats NOT Darth Vader. Darth Vader and Anakin were smart, calm, cool and calculating.

The first 3 movies are about the fall of the jedi and fall of Anakin to become Darth Vader. All we got was a goofy robot army and some shotty back story.