Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Now that EA has lost the exclusivity deal with Disney, what is gonna happen next.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Now that EA has lost the exclusivity deal with Disney, what is gonna happen next.

phalczen
01.15.2021 , 12:31 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Mournblood View Post
The inevitable competition opens the possibility for a SWTOR vs SWG situation, where one game essentially usurps the market of the other.

Personally, I think this is a VERY good thing for this game. It will force EA to either dedicate more resources to making this game better toward attracting and retaining more players, or face the possibility of losing us to a competitor studio/publisher that makes an even better SWTOR 2.0 (or whatever it ends up being called). Essentially, EA can no longer afford to keep this game on the backburner while it funnels resources and revenue to other projects, assuming they want to keep this game active and profitable.
I always believed there was room for both SWTOR and SWG, since they were two different styles of MMORPG (themepark versus sandbox) and two different Star Wars eras (old republic versus galactic civil war.) We already know Ubisoft is working on an open world game set in an era "long requested" but that could mean anything from Sims-like to a Destiny/Anthem-like to an MMORPG. Those distinctions can help maintain revenue for SWTOR and subsequent projects.

There's also the consideration of different platforms. Many games can be easily ported to console, like Jedi Fallen Order or the Battlefront games. But aside from DC Universe Online and Final Fantasy 11 and 14, I'm not aware of any MMORPGs that are on Playstation, and I don't know of any PC-based MMORPGs that are on mobile devices. Opening up the development pool to different studios can allow some studios to focus on the mobile market, some on consoles, and some on PCs.
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Mournblood
01.15.2021 , 04:56 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
There's also the consideration of different platforms. Many games can be easily ported to console, like Jedi Fallen Order or the Battlefront games. But aside from DC Universe Online and Final Fantasy 11 and 14, I'm not aware of any MMORPGs that are on Playstation, and I don't know of any PC-based MMORPGs that are on mobile devices. Opening up the development pool to different studios can allow some studios to focus on the mobile market, some on consoles, and some on PCs.
There's several on XBox, such as ESO, STO, Neverwinter, ED, NMS, and hopefully more to come. But to your point, maybe other studios will develop for other platforms thereby leaving SWTOR uncontested, but if it was my decision to make for my studio, I'd make a Star Wars MMO that was cross-platform and put SWTOR out of business so that I had no other competition for that market space. I'd also make sure I took the time to learn from the mistakes made by Bioware so that I didn't make the same mistakes, and I'd keep whatever aspects were working and incorporate those concepts into my game. But that's just me.
Mourne, Founder

BlackSilverFire
01.20.2021 , 09:45 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
If I had a euro for every time some idiot on these forms decried the death of swtor I'd have enough to finance swtor 2.0 with everything that's on most peoples wish lists
+1 Nailed it.

jedimasterjac
01.20.2021 , 10:26 AM | #24
I'm not sure why people jump to the conclusion that the issue was SWG and SWTOR were going to crowd each other out.

Raph Koster, the creative director behind SWG, has a pretty great article/postmortem on the game called Did Star Wars Galaxies Fail? (https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/2...galaxies-fail/)

By Koster's own admission, though the game had decent success over the entire course of its life, a series of errors damaged the game to a point it became unviable:

Quote:
The game wasnít doing as badly as people seem to think. It didnít fail in the market. It did just fine, even by the standards pre-WoW. But there were huge expectations that we didnít push against, it launched with serious problems, and the team wasnít really equipped to fix them. This resulted in a series of errors that damaged the gameís ongoing viability, which resulted in more hurried changes...

Plenty of the choices made, or the omissions, were my decision; in that sense, SWG didnít fail. I failed it.
He was supposed to have a post-mortem at GDC last year, actually, about SWG, but it seems to not have happened due to COVID.

Anyway, to the point:

SWG was old, outdated, relatively unpopular, and had a dwindling playerbase significantly smaller than SWTOR at its lowest point.
Quote: Originally Posted by Grand Master Yoda
We are what they grow beyond. That is the burden of all masters.
Feel like I've said something good? Click my referral link for free goodies!

Kaedusz
Yesterday , 11:38 PM | #25
Developers seem to not be in a rush to create this old style of MMORPGs. It's not worth the investment. So unless something else happens this game should be safe.

Only WoW remains kinda what developers want out of their mmos, and even it is a shadow of its former self. MMORPGs these days are not that popular, they are more of a niche thing.
7 days free subscription ---- > http://www.swtor.com/r/k9W2FP