Jedi and Sith, both wrong?

panjakrejn

I’ve been going through the 8 major storylines/classes in this game, finished 7 and halfway through the 8th and final. Along the way I have been given countless moral choices, and by my choices have been awarded light side or dark side points, cluing me into the morality of both sides. On top of that, the Jedi and Sith forces aren’t exactly subtly in telling us what they stand for and what they stand against.

Through this thorough and pervasive education, I have to conclude that both the Jedi and the Sith are fundamentally wrong. (Or at least flawed ideologies that foolishly shoot themselves in their own feet.)

Let’s start with the “good guys”. Here is the Jedi code:

There is no emotion, there is peace.

There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.

There is no passion, there is serenity.

There is no chaos, there is harmony.

There is no death, there is the Force.

First of all, let’s presume that they are not literally saying that emotion, ignorance, passion, etc. exist – that this is just a poetic way of saying, “turn your back on emotion, embrace peace; turn your back on ignorance, embrace knowledge”, and so on.

Let’s start with a nit-picky problem, though a real one – without emotion, you simply do not care what happens, as you have no preference for one outcome over another. Emotions are what gives us goals and desires, with out them, we wouldn’t really care whether or not the Empire wins or the Republic survives.

Strike one.

Then there’s their fear of passion and love. Jedi are not allowed (hah!) to fall in love. They are not allowed to embrace their passions, instead having passion is seen as dangerous, and that’s a foundational problem, because passion is a necessary part of the human (sentient) experience.

The reason the Jedi avoid passion is easy to understand – when one’s passions are high it is easier to make bad decisions, and harder to see clearly. Yet amputating this core piece of being alive seems to be a drastic over-reaction on the part of the Jedi. It’s as if they asked people to get along without breathing because sometimes your enemies will try to gas you. Passion is not the enemy, but a vital part of life. Strike two.

Finally, some of the choices that are considered to be light side choices are truly awful. Choices like, “would you sacrifice this innocent to save over 1000 civilians? You would? That’s so Dar***k!” As far as I can see, the pattern seems to be if you choose to do something bad, that's a Darkside choice even if you prevent much more bad with it. The Light side has rigid absolutes when the rightness and wrongness of choices is not tied to the results of those choices. Lying is wrong, according to the Jedi, even when telling the truth gets people killed.

So that’s the Jedi – inflexible, absolute, fanatical, and based on codes of conduct, not realities of suffering. Strike three.

Now the distaff half, the Sith, have their own code, which of course goes like this:

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.

Through passion, I gain strength.

Through strength, I gain power.

Through power, I gain victory.

Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Force shall free me.

Let’s start right off with this: This code doesn’t suck – not if you examine the code in a vacuum, without any previous experience of the Sith or the Empire. This code at it’s heart emphasizes the need to dig down deep inside oneself to gain what’s needed to grow beyond the impediments blocking your way.

There are only two problems with the Sith side, and one has nothing to do with the code.

It’s possible that you could have a society that follows the Sith code as its highest ideal, and NOT churn out depraved psychotic killers – yet somehow, the Empire and the Sith do just that. And for a society built on individualistic ideals, they wind up being awfully fascist and authoritarian. However, why aren’t there any Sith following their passion and pursuing power to the end of making the galaxy a better place with far less suffering? That idea is barely given lip service, but nothing more. Plus, a smart person pursuing power realizes that cooperating makes far less enemies than the kind of chaos that the Empire is made from. It simply is not in the enlightened self-interest of the Sith and the Empire to be so cruel, so monstrous, so evil.

I think there’s an unspoken part of the Sith code and the Empire’s backbone, and I think that it’s this: that the good of the whole is never supposed to matter, EVEN IF THAT’S WHAT YOUR PASSION IS. In others words, follow your passion, IF you want to be cruel and monstrous, but if your passion is a kinder galaxy, the Sith are against that – implicitly.

Which brings me to the one failure, from my perspective of the Sith code – not what it says, what it *doesn’t* say. It doesn’t make any provisions for the well-being of the whole, and while that’s obviously not mandatory because no morals are, most civilized folks even in more primitive societies than our 21st century one recognize that the needs of the many must be considered, that cooperation and working together towards a common good often makes a lot of sense. But in the Empire that seems tacitly forbidden to embrace, in any real sense.

So if both the Jedi and Sith are wrong, you might ask what does this writer see as the *right* code, the right path? I’m so glad you asked! Here is a quick example I dashed off to answer that very question. It’s not a Jedi “Light-side” code in terms of rigidity and absolutes, and it’s not a Sith “Dark-side” code in terms of implicit selfishness and monstrosity.

Think of it as a Human (or Evolved) code:

Passion, our spirit, yet Reason, our way.

Progress, our duty, yet Empathy, our nature.

And Clarity, our greatest weapon.

We do what we must,

For the benefit of all.

Every line improves over both original codes:

Passion powers us, but Reason tempers that passion, so that we may never lose our way. We have a duty to progress, but we never lose touch with having empathy for all concerned. And above all, being able to see clearly, to see the world and ourselves as how we really are, empowers us most. We also do what me must, not shrinking from the hard choices, because ultimately every choice we make is for the benefit of all.

Two more things to note about this new code: It does not mention the Force at all – but why should it? The Force is a tool and a power, but so is gravity, electricity, and many others. The Force in and of itself has no moral dimension, it simply magnifies our own. We’ve seen what happens when absolutists and fascists embrace the force – now let’s see what the Force looks like when embraced by humanists.

Also Light versus Dark is a false dichotomy in the way they are expressed by the Jedi and Sith. Both can make some pretty horrendous choices by sticking to their principles. This code sweeps all that away, focusing instead on the keys to personal and societal evolution: personal passion, cool reason, forward progress, compassionate empathy, full clarity, fully pragmatic choices, and a fundamental motivation to make the galaxy a better place for as many as possible.

Now THAT’S a moral code worth following.

I've always said that the Jedi are wrong, the Jedi Code as interpreted by the Order as a society is impossible to follow. It breaks the men and women who truly try to live it literally. It broke Qui-Gon for a time, it broke Obi-Wan, for a time, it broke Anakin beyond repair, it broke Revan, it broke the Exile, it broke Luke for Cryin' Out Loud!

That said, the Sith's cause of total individualism is too dangerous to be practical.

That was a pretty nice explanation of your point of view, and I agree with it. Despite my ropleying as a Sith Lord I recognized how impractical all the betrayal and scheming that the Sith have against each other is. The Jedi also have their own problems, with how they try and make people forget about their human side as a self-sacrifice for the greater good. I've always enjoyed when Star Wars explored more gray points of view, such as the Je'daii who believed Tython to be a balanced force as opposed to Ashla and Bogan, representing the light and the dark side respectively. They strove to find balance just like Tython had.

A friend found something that really helped explain the Jedi Code once that I will leave here. It was really helpful for us when we did our roleplays.

Meaning of the Jedi Code phrases.

* There is no emotion, there is peace

Emotions are a natural part of living. As the great sagas have shown us, Jedi are not immune to feeling emotions. Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and Master Yoda both openly express their sorrow when they discover the death of younglings at the newly-appointed Darth Vader's hand. This tenet is not to say that emotion does not exist but that it ought to be set aside. Emotions must be understood first, and it is a young Jedi's duty to explore his feelings. Unless a Jedi can confront his thoughts and feelings, he will never achieve peace. Emotions, then, are not to be overcome or denied, but rather understood and dealt with. A'Sharad Hett reminds the young Anakin Skywalker of this during their campaigns together during the Clone Wars. Hett points out that Anakin's anger is understandable, but he must face it. This tenet could be modified to read "Emotion cannot take away my peace."

* There is no ignorance, there is knowledge

A Jedi must be circumspecting and try to understand the world that is surrounding him. That ignorance does not exist is, of course, a flat-out lie or gross misunderstanding. Ignorance is a part of life but it must not be feared. For more knowledge to light their way, the Jedi Temple Archives contains possibly the single largest source of information in the galaxy, but this tenet also reminds the Knight that knowledge can be taken from the most unusual places. The great Master Yoda demonstrated this to the young Luke Skywalker on Dagobah when he acted like a fool, and when he acted childish in front of younglings. This performance was meant to teach Luke and the younglings the simple fact: even the foolish can be wise. Indeed, while instructing younglings, Master Yoda was often heard to remark that "Truly wonderful the mind of a child is." This tenet is what gives the Jedi his open mind and ability to accept what other beings would tend to see as unacceptable. In other words, this tenet points out that often a Jedi must use not only his rational mind but also his intuitive mind in order to ascertain the truth of a situation. This tenet is embodied by Qui-Gon Jinn's statement to Anakin Skywalker to "feel, don't think." Dexter Jettster would further demonstrate this notion: "I should think you Jedi would have more respect for the difference between knowledge and wisdom."

* There is no passion, there is serenity

This tenet is essentially a repetition of the first. But this refers more directly to situations of extreme stress in which a Jedi might be tempted to react strongly. That a Jedi must draw his weapon only in defense is an expression of this tenet. While emotions and intuition must be understood and utilized in a Jedi's daily life, he must never act rashly. Passionate use of power leads to the dark side. A Jedi must always act with a calm hand and an even temper.

* There is no chaos, there is harmony

This statement reflects the cosmology of the Jedi Order. Whereas uninitiated beings see the universe as a chaotic and disconnected place, a Jedi realizes that all things are interconnected and, more importantly, interdependent. While an uninitiated being sees sorrow and tragedy in the workings of the universe, through the Force, a Jedi is able to interpret and understand even the most painful of life's events. Without this cosmology, surely the first tenets of the Jedi Code would be meaningless. After all, how could one possibly forsake love and compassion if he did not understand the truth of the universe: there is no chaos, there is harmony. Every event has a purpose. As the great Jedi Master Yoda told Anakin Skywalker once, "Death is a natural part of life." Minor inconveniences such as failure, disappointment, and disagreement are also inevitable and should be taken in stride. Jedi do not deny the fact that tragic and terrible things happen; they merely point out that tragedy is simply another part of life.

Without this tenet, all other tenets of the Jedi Code would be meaningless.

* There is no death, there is the Force

A Jedi, like many ancient feudal knights of various empires, must always be ready for death. As a warrior not only in combat but also in day-to-day life, it is easy to fail and fall. As Qui-Gon Jinn pointed out to the young Anakin Skywalker, it is quite possible to kill a Jedi, and it happens often. The sense of loss is often even greater for one who feels it with the Force. Death, however, is not a tragedy and is merely a part of the life cycle. Without death, life could not exist. The Force in us, still lives on after we die. This tenet represents a darker side of the Jedi Order, the side that accepts, indeed embraces, death, rot and corruption of corporeal forms. As such, Jedi do not fear death nor do they mourn it overmuch; a Jedi, after all, must celebrate death if he is to also celebrate life. While sources disagree on this point, it is noteworthy to point out that this tenet does not support vegetarianism among the Jedi but, some scholars argue, it does in fact support omnivorism among Jedi.This could also refer to living forever as a force ghost.

One requires people to be raised from birth to follow the tenants of its organization (and even with that lifetime of conditioning they still fail to live up to it fairly often) and the other usually turns it practitioners into cackling lunatics or manipulative sociopaths (partially because of darkside corruption but mostly, I think, because they actively murder not awful people during the training phase). Of course there is something wrong with them.

Here's the main problem... It's not the Values of the Code that are wrong! It's the way the Jedi enforce it. Saying in effect that your feelings *cannot* matter in any situation, that feeling or acting on any passion is evil, that anger and fear automatically damn you, that if you even brush the "dark side' "Forever will it dominate your destiny" and that is wrong. Also they treat all Force users who are not in the Jedi Order as dangerous! This is ridiculous! There are many Force Sensitive races and their discriminated against!

Yes the Jedi have massive problems, however, the Sith promote evil for the sake of gaining power. There is no contest.

Jedi=good Sith=evil!

I always had the following issues with the Sith code:

"Peace is a lie." Peace can be interpreted as the peace between nations, empires or the "inner peace" of mind. It's bad in either cases. No empire/society can endure indefinite and total warfare. And being permanentely mentally unstable isn't an attractive trait, imho. :D

"The force shall free me." From what? (Mental) Enslavement? Mortality (immortality was a major goal of many Siths)? To what goal? ...

So, for me the Jedi code is somewhat "circular" whereas the Sith code leads to nowhere/disaster. My issue with the Jedi is that they tend to be somewhat naive and can be easily exploited (and yes, maybe some of their rules are overly rigid), but the Sith are a disastrous - frankly laughable in some ways - self-destructive bunch, so in the end it's a no-brainer: Jedi > Sith. (Interestingly, Darth Malgus addresses these issues in the game, but as far as I understand him, he doesn't really question the Sith code, but rather the morals and the structure of the Empire; in an intelligent way btw, I think the New Empire would be much stronger than the old one and more dangerous for the Republic.)

I also believe the Jedi screw up in they way that they don't often distinguish between having fear anger or hate, and *acting* on those impulses. If Obiwan hadn't been enraged and hated Maul with every fiber of his being after Qui-Gon's death, Maul would have sliced him in half!

By ignoring Anakin's visions of his mother's suffering, Anakin was bound to lose it and he acted on his fear hatred and rage at a point where it was impossible to control. If Obiwan had immediately gone to Tatooine with Anakin even if Shimi had died, he probably wouldn't have lost it as badly.

The problem stemmed form the fact that the Jedi interpreted the code to mean that nothing of the self can have any value. That goes against nature and therefor the Force itself. Even plants and animals fight to survive because they have to reproduce and thrive. In that sense they value themselves.

To the Jedi the self has no value, and to the Sith the self is the only thing that matters. Both cannot work in the long term.

I just watched a rather depressing vid on YouTube where the maker insists that there are only three choices in SW's for Force Sensitives in the Galaxy far, far away... Light Dark or Cowardly isolation. I hope the facts revealed in the new film destroys that framework.

Not that I think Kylo Ren should ever, ever, be a hero of course. Nobody who murders Han will ever earn my compassion or tolerance.

PS Please don't kill me.

I always had the following issues with the Sith code:

"Peace is a lie." Peace can be interpreted as the peace between nations, empires or the "inner peace" of mind. It's bad in either cases. No empire/society can endure indefinite and total warfare. And being permanentely mentally unstable isn't an attractive trait, imho. :D

"The force shall free me." From what? (Mental) Enslavement? Mortality (immortality was a major goal of many Siths)? To what goal? ...

So, for me the Jedi code is somewhat "circular" whereas the Sith code leads to nowhere/disaster. My issue with the Jedi is that they tend to be somewhat naive and can be easily exploited (and yes, maybe some of their rules are overly rigid), but the Sith are a disastrous - frankly laughable in some ways - self-destructive bunch, so in the end it's a no-brainer: Jedi > Sith. (Interestingly, Darth Malgus addresses these issues in the game, but as far as I understand him, he doesn't really question the Sith code, but rather the morals and the structure of the Empire; in an intelligent way btw, I think the New Empire would be much stronger than the old one and more dangerous for the Republic.)

I'd like to point out that founders of the Sith Order were exiled Jedi, considered themselves Jedi still and the viewed the Jedi Order not as enemies but estranged brothers. It was the Sith Genocide perpetrated by the Jedi at the End of the Great Hyperspace War that created an irredeemable rift between the 2 orders and in the horror and grief of the survivors, turned the Sith from mere Empire builders into monsters. The Sith Code, as envisioned by the Jedi that claimed rulership over Korriban, was exactly as the OP stated; A guide for individualism and personal growth, not murderously sociopathic life. The Sith that survived, rebuilt on Dromund Kass and carried on until the end of the Galactic Civil War are the product of the Jedi's gross miscalculation and cruelty.

How about Jedi=bad, Sith=monstrous, OP = best.

If by bad you mean morally bad, than no. The Jedi are flawed but overall they're ultra righteous, or at least about as righteous as people (who are inherently flawed) can be. They aid the sick, protect the weak and the downtrodden, and are tireless defenders of democracy. They're absolutely fearless and will sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

You're right however that the Sith are monstrous.

I also believe the Jedi screw up in they way that they don't often distinguish between having fear anger or hate, and *acting* on those impulses. If Obiwan hadn't been enraged and hated Maul with every fiber of his being after Qui-Gon's death, Maul would have sliced him in half!

By ignoring Anakin's visions of his mother's suffering, Anakin was bound to lose it and he acted on his fear hatred and rage at a point where it was impossible to control. If Obiwan had immediately gone to Tatooine with Anakin even if Shimi had died, he probably wouldn't have lost it as badly.

The problem stemmed form the fact that the Jedi interpreted the code to mean that nothing of the self can have any value. That goes against nature and therefor the Force itself. Even plants and animals fight to survive because they have to reproduce and thrive. In that sense they value themselves.

To the Jedi the self has no value, and to the Sith the self is the only thing that matters. Both cannot work in the long term.

I just watched a rather depressing vid on YouTube where the maker insists that there are only three choices in SW's for Force Sensitives in the Galaxy far, far away... Light Dark or Cowardly isolation. I hope the facts revealed in the new film destroys that framework.

Not that I think Kylo Ren should ever, ever, be a hero of course. Nobody who murders Han will ever earn my compassion or tolerance.

PS Please don't kill me.

I think the Obi-Wan/Darth Maul fight was supposed to convey that Obi-Wan fought with his anger against Darth Maul and lost, but once he was forced to calm down, he was able to take advantage of Darth Maul's overconfidence and defeat him.

It's also a completely ridiculous exaggeration to suggest that the Jedi interpret the code to mean their own lives have no value to the point where they don't have self preservation instincts.

I'd like to point out that founders of the Sith Order were exiled Jedi, considered themselves Jedi still and the viewed the Jedi Order not as enemies but estranged brothers. It was the Sith Genocide perpetrated by the Jedi at the End of the Great Hyperspace War that created an irredeemable rift between the 2 orders and in the horror and grief of the survivors, turned the Sith from mere Empire builders into monsters. The Sith Code, as envisioned by the Jedi that claimed rulership over Korriban, was exactly as the OP stated; A guide for individualism and personal growth, not murderously sociopathic life. The Sith that survived, rebuilt on Dromund Kass and carried on until the end of the Galactic Civil War are the product of the Jedi's gross miscalculation and cruelty.

I'm pretty sure that isn't true. Even before the Great Hyperspace War, the Sith Empire was filled with conquest, backstabbing, domination and slavery. Also there was two thousand years between the Hundred Year Darkness and the Great Hyperspace War, it seems unlikely the Sith Lords alive at the time saw any common ground with the Jedi. Also, the Sith certainly seemed to treat the Jedi more like enemies than estranged brothers when they tried to conquer the Republic and left the galaxy with billions dead.

The original source material (from before the genocide on Korriban retcon) goes as far as to describe the rule of the original Sith Empire as "a golden age of evil."

Plus the characters in TOR that we meet from before the Great Hyperspace War seem just as evil as the ones in the "present day."

Vitiate, Khem Val, Terrak Morrage, Dramath, and most of the ghosts that the Inquisitor binds, are all some of the worst character we meet in the game. Khem also describes Tulak Hord as someone who "took casual delight in cruelty."

Edited by OldVengeance

I'm pretty sure that isn't true. Even before the Great Hyperspace War, the Sith Empire was filled with conquest, backstabbing, domination and slavery. Also there was two thousand years between the Hundred Year Darkness and the Great Hyperspace War, it seems unlikely the Sith Lords alive at the time saw any common ground with the Jedi. Also, the Sith certainly seemed to treat the Jedi more like enemies than estranged brothers when they tried to conquer the Republic and left the galaxy with billions dead.

The original source material (from before the genocide on Korriban retcon) goes as far as to describe the rule of the original Sith Empire as "a golden age of evil."

Plus the characters in TOR that we meet from before the Great Hyperspace War seem just as evil as the ones in the "present day."

Vitiate, Khem Val, Terrak Morrage, Dramath, and most of the ghosts that the Inquisitor binds, are all some of the worst character we meet in the game. Khem also describes Tulak Hord as someone who "took casual delight in cruelty."

Never claimed that the Sith were ever the good guys, the entire reason for their exile was trying to kill their fellow Jedi. But their evil was more Roman domination than Bond villain. If you were a loyal Imperial citizen (not slave, life sucked for the slaves) or a low-ranking Sith not involved with the Byzantine politicking things weren't so bad. Someone (again, citizen, not slave) living on Ziost probably didn't see much difference in their day to day than someone living on Alderaan. People on both worlds lived peaceful, boring lives as long as they followed the laws (albeit more authoritarian for the Sith Empire) and didn't annoy the nobles. The Empire pursued manifest destiny while the Republic took a more multinational cooperation approach (and as most of us are Westerners from liberal democracies, we're biased toward the latter) but unless you were in a warzone the Sith weren't cartoonishly evil

The 'everyone not Sith or Human is fodder' and EVERYONE for themselves thinking was post-genocide. If it seems otherwise, it's only becuase the games/books only look at the 'fun' frontline action and major political figures. You never see anything from the free, not at war little guy POV when dealing with the Sith Empire until you land on Dromund Kass in SWTOR and that's about 1,000 years AFTER the Sith Genocide.

I think the Obi-Wan/Darth Maul fight was supposed to convey that Obi-Wan fought with his anger against Darth Maul and lost, but once he was forced to calm down, he was able to take advantage of Darth Maul's overconfidence and defeat him.

It's also a completely ridiculous exaggeration to suggest that the Jedi interpret the code to mean their own lives have no value to the point where they don't have self preservation instincts.

I'm sorry perhaps I overstated my point, obviously Jedi are not suicidal. However, in the grand scheme of things they are supposed to care about staying alive only in the context of the greater good. Yoda tried to stop Luke going to Besbin because in his eyes saving Han and Leia counteracted the most important goal for the greater good, making Luke a Jedi. The problem with that way of thinking is there comes a point where if you give too much you can sacrifice to the point there's nothing left to sacrifice for.

Also, Obiwan was anything but calm and serene when he took down Maul just keep your eyes on his face.

Think of it as a Human (or Evolved) code:

Passion, our spirit, yet Reason, our way.

Progress, our duty, yet Empathy, our nature.

And Clarity, our greatest weapon.

We do what we must,

For the benefit of all.

Every line improves over both original codes:

Passion powers us, but Reason tempers that passion, so that we may never lose our way. We have a duty to progress, but we never lose touch with having empathy for all concerned. And above all, being able to see clearly, to see the world and ourselves as how we really are, empowers us most. We also do what me must, not shrinking from the hard choices, because ultimately every choice we make is for the benefit of all.

Our passion is war, yet our reason is to destroy our enemies.

We progress by personal goals, yet remain empathic to our own empires desire.

Our clarity to follow our own way is a weapon most powerful to behold.

We will never fail.

For the benefit of the Sith Empire.

If by bad you mean morally bad, than no. The Jedi are flawed but overall they're ultra righteous, or at least about as righteous as people (who are inherently flawed) can be.

That depends. Some folks (and I may be one of them) might judge good or bad on effectiveness, not good intention.

The Jedi may be full of good intentions, but if their rigidity and absolutism yields results that are lacking or worse, I indeed might count that as morally bad, since their choice to live as they do directly leads to the results they get.

In other words, perhaps we all have a moral duty to make decisions that yield practical results - or at least try to - rather than following some sacred edicts blindly. Perhaps devotion to inflexible codes IS morally wrong on account of the suffering it fails to prevent, but could have.

Our passion is war, yet our reason is to destroy our enemies.

We progress by personal goals, yet remain empathic to our own empires desire.

Our clarity to follow our own way is a weapon most powerful to behold.

We will never fail.

For the benefit of the Sith Empire.

Huh?? You've lost me..

A friend found something that really helped explain the Jedi Code once that I will leave here. It was really helpful for us when we did our roleplays.

Meaning of the Jedi Code phrases.

* There is no emotion, there is peace

Emotions are a natural part of living. As the great sagas have shown us, Jedi are not immune to feeling emotions. Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi and Master Yoda both openly express their sorrow when they discover the death of younglings at the newly-appointed Darth Vader's hand. This tenet is not to say that emotion does not exist but that it ought to be set aside. Emotions must be understood first, and it is a young Jedi's duty to explore his feelings. Unless a Jedi can confront his thoughts and feelings, he will never achieve peace. Emotions, then, are not to be overcome or denied, but rather understood and dealt with. A'Sharad Hett reminds the young Anakin Skywalker of this during their campaigns together during the Clone Wars. Hett points out that Anakin's anger is understandable, but he must face it. This tenet could be modified to read "Emotion cannot take away my peace."

* There is no ignorance, there is knowledge

A Jedi must be circumspecting and try to understand the world that is surrounding him. That ignorance does not exist is, of course, a flat-out lie or gross misunderstanding. Ignorance is a part of life but it must not be feared. For more knowledge to light their way, the Jedi Temple Archives contains possibly the single largest source of information in the galaxy, but this tenet also reminds the Knight that knowledge can be taken from the most unusual places. The great Master Yoda demonstrated this to the young Luke Skywalker on Dagobah when he acted like a fool, and when he acted childish in front of younglings. This performance was meant to teach Luke and the younglings the simple fact: even the foolish can be wise. Indeed, while instructing younglings, Master Yoda was often heard to remark that "Truly wonderful the mind of a child is." This tenet is what gives the Jedi his open mind and ability to accept what other beings would tend to see as unacceptable. In other words, this tenet points out that often a Jedi must use not only his rational mind but also his intuitive mind in order to ascertain the truth of a situation. This tenet is embodied by Qui-Gon Jinn's statement to Anakin Skywalker to "feel, don't think." Dexter Jettster would further demonstrate this notion: "I should think you Jedi would have more respect for the difference between knowledge and wisdom."

* There is no passion, there is serenity

This tenet is essentially a repetition of the first. But this refers more directly to situations of extreme stress in which a Jedi might be tempted to react strongly. That a Jedi must draw his weapon only in defense is an expression of this tenet. While emotions and intuition must be understood and utilized in a Jedi's daily life, he must never act rashly. Passionate use of power leads to the dark side. A Jedi must always act with a calm hand and an even temper.

* There is no chaos, there is harmony

This statement reflects the cosmology of the Jedi Order. Whereas uninitiated beings see the universe as a chaotic and disconnected place, a Jedi realizes that all things are interconnected and, more importantly, interdependent. While an uninitiated being sees sorrow and tragedy in the workings of the universe, through the Force, a Jedi is able to interpret and understand even the most painful of life's events. Without this cosmology, surely the first tenets of the Jedi Code would be meaningless. After all, how could one possibly forsake love and compassion if he did not understand the truth of the universe: there is no chaos, there is harmony. Every event has a purpose. As the great Jedi Master Yoda told Anakin Skywalker once, "Death is a natural part of life." Minor inconveniences such as failure, disappointment, and disagreement are also inevitable and should be taken in stride. Jedi do not deny the fact that tragic and terrible things happen; they merely point out that tragedy is simply another part of life.

Without this tenet, all other tenets of the Jedi Code would be meaningless.

* There is no death, there is the Force

A Jedi, like many ancient feudal knights of various empires, must always be ready for death. As a warrior not only in combat but also in day-to-day life, it is easy to fail and fall. As Qui-Gon Jinn pointed out to the young Anakin Skywalker, it is quite possible to kill a Jedi, and it happens often. The sense of loss is often even greater for one who feels it with the Force. Death, however, is not a tragedy and is merely a part of the life cycle. Without death, life could not exist. The Force in us, still lives on after we die. This tenet represents a darker side of the Jedi Order, the side that accepts, indeed embraces, death, rot and corruption of corporeal forms. As such, Jedi do not fear death nor do they mourn it overmuch; a Jedi, after all, must celebrate death if he is to also celebrate life. While sources disagree on this point, it is noteworthy to point out that this tenet does not support vegetarianism among the Jedi but, some scholars argue, it does in fact support omnivorism among Jedi.This could also refer to living forever as a force ghost.

This is beautiful, but I can shorten it(and be right while at it too):

Emotion, yet Peace

Ignorance, yet Knowledge

Passion, yet Serenity

(Chaos, yet Harmony)

Death, yet the Force.

The original Jedi Code. The one that wasn't completely ruined by meddling by the likes of overzealous fools like Yoda. Also, Yoda didn't act on Dagobah. He was outright crazy because he kept punishing himself for not catching on Palpatine and letting everyone die. He merely had moments of lucidity.

Also, my own Jedi Code:

In Freedom, Balance

In Balance, Serenity

In Serenity, Peace

In Peace, Happiness

In Happiness, Focus

In Focus, the Force.

Force in everything ; the Force is the answer.

(you could cut out Happiness part, but I happen to think it's EXCEEDINGLY important)

(I guess you'll like my one better ;) )

Huh?? You've lost me..

You built up your point so well, only to fall over your own code.

The Passion for war powers the Sith but the Reason to crush their enemies is never far away. For a Sith craves that from within and without, a never ending war with an enemy that wan't nothing more than to strike them down. However a Sith is nothing without their own personal goals on the path to power while always remaining empathic to the Sith empire that forged the Sith Lords. The Clarity to see the path to power is before the Sith and like any lightsaber is a weapon to be used, so are the ways of the Sith. The Sith will never fail to slay their enemies, for the benefit of the Sith empire.

This is beautiful, but I can shorten it(and be right while at it too):

Emotion, yet Peace

Ignorance, yet Knowledge

Passion, yet Serenity

(Chaos, yet Harmony)

Death, yet the Force.

The original Jedi Code. The one that wasn't completely ruined by meddling by the likes of overzealous fools like Yoda. Also, Yoda didn't act on Dagobah. He was outright crazy because he kept punishing himself for not catching on Palpatine and letting everyone die. He merely had moments of lucidity.

Okay I adore the original Code it's the perfect synthesis of what the Jedi should have been all along. But Let's be fair it wasn't Yoda's fault that the reactionary fundamentalist, and ultimately fatal regressions. Yoda was raised during that time of upheaval. I don't think it's fair to call Yoda crazy or having mere moments of lucidity. He did what he was raised to do, and carried those things to others. It's a tragedy.