Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

ETA on Advanced Class change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
ETA on Advanced Class change?

Vhaegrant's Avatar


Vhaegrant
05.14.2014 , 07:32 AM | #4821
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayshadow View Post
I play one of each.

Sentinel and a Juggernaut
Shadow and Sorcerer
Commando and Powertech
etc.

I don't really see the point. I could understand if there was just one storyline to play.
I levelled through the eight story classes the same way (and am now working through to one of each AC because I like the stories so much, but from the play style of my friends, 8 characters, 1 of each class, is a more realistic goal)

If you levelled your Sentinel to 55 first and then found that having levelled your Juggernaut to 55 you just didn't enjoy it as much as the Sentinel (many reasons for this, might even be lack of opportunity to get into guild Ops) would you be opposed to a convenience feature that allowed you to relatively painlessly swap over to the Marauders ability set (a little regearing may be required, but that's not uncommon when changing spec.)?
Or, would you feel duty bound to sit down and grind out a third character (a marauder) to 55 from scratch?
Or, play a character you didn't enjoy just to complete content, participate in guild activities?
Or, just put the Juggernaut into hibernation never to be played again?

Allowing an AC swap feature adds to the range of options a player has, it takes nothing away.

Superman_AZ's Avatar


Superman_AZ
05.14.2014 , 07:49 AM | #4822
Quote: Originally Posted by Vhaegrant View Post
If you levelled your Sentinel to 55 first and then found that having levelled your Juggernaut to 55 you just didn't enjoy it as much as the Sentinel (many reasons for this, might even be lack of opportunity to get into guild Ops) would you be opposed to a convenience feature that allowed you to relatively painlessly swap over to the Marauders ability set (a little regearing may be required, but that's not uncommon when changing spec.)?
Or, would you feel duty bound to sit down and grind out a third character (a marauder) to 55 from scratch?
Or, play a character you didn't enjoy just to complete content, participate in guild activities?
Or, just put the Juggernaut into hibernation never to be played again?

Allowing an AC swap feature adds to the range of options a player has, it takes nothing away.
No one is forced to level more than one AC of any class. Byt your argument, everyone would need to level 3 Juggernauts and 3 marauders just so they can have all 6 talent trees covered for their uniqueness. In every thread I've seen thus far, some people have responded with the same truth, blunt, but honest:

"If you want a 55 of another class, level one. Don't be lazy. Leveling is not that hard. You are just wanting a mechanism that allows you to skip to 55 on a class without actually having to play that class from level 1."

Now, I do not agree with calling people lazy, it is only a game after all. However, the mindless mob makes a solid point. If you level a Marauder to 55, and all of a sudden your guild needs a heavy armored tank, not a medium armored DPS, you can now just click a button and switch.

Unlike WoW, where your class is your class and your spec is your spec, here you have a class, and then select a PATH for that class. That path comes with potentially different abilities, gear, skill, and play-style. A marauder may look like a warrior and smell like a warrior, and even walk like one, but the inherent difference is its mitigation.

Had Advanced classes never existed, and your trinity were in your talent tree, this would be a moot point. But, this is not WoW, and for good reason. Juggernaut and Marauder are as much alike as Shaolin Monk and a Catholic Monk. They both wear robes, and pray, and may even look alike, but fundamentally are two entirely different entities.

What should be done is have the AC removed, and spin the trees to include Tank tree, DPS tree, heal Tree, and use ONE type of gear, Heavy, Medium, or Light. As for the Pure DPS classes, they would go Medium leather and get the best 3/6 trees. Again though, that sort of change would take hundreds of man hours and thousands of dollars to implement. AC swap might be less expensive, but likely just as much effort.

However, all that said, until we see some gold font even mentioning the remotest of possibilities, there is no knowing this is even still an option. At least if we knew it was even an option, this conversation might actually be more than a handful of talkers and ancient rumors.
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
05.14.2014 , 10:13 AM | #4823
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayshadow View Post
I don't really see the point. I could understand if there was just one storyline to play.
There is just one story line per class for both ACs. We're talking about Commando/Vanguard, not Commando/Powertech like you did
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer • 7-day FREE sub • FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

ZahirS's Avatar


ZahirS
05.14.2014 , 10:18 AM | #4824
Eric common buddy we need you here to tell us its on the works!

Superman_AZ's Avatar


Superman_AZ
05.14.2014 , 10:22 AM | #4825
Quote: Originally Posted by ZahirS View Post
Eric common buddy we need you here to tell us its on the works!
Yes Eric, step in and throw the kids a bone. But make sure to emphasize how it is a "Maybe" and not a "Yes". Without that in the quote, you will likely have a hundred new threads pop up excited about the fact that "He said YES in the big thread" since taking things out of context is what some of us do very well

On a more serious note, I think the people in the thread deserve at least a "possibly in the future, maybe years down the road when the situation presents itself." kinda response. Just something that helps validate their need to cling to a 241 page thread founded on 18 month old information.
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
05.14.2014 , 10:24 AM | #4826
Quote: Originally Posted by ZahirS View Post
Eric common buddy we need you here to tell us its on the works!
Soonฎ
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer • 7-day FREE sub • FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

ikinai's Avatar


ikinai
05.14.2014 , 10:29 AM | #4827
I asked the Magic 8Ball, it said 'Outlook not so good.' And I thought about it, and was like, what does my Office email program have to do with this!? Stupid 8ball is broken.
I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
--Rodney Dangerfield Back to School
Is this referral mic on? It's free stuff and stuff, in game.

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
05.14.2014 , 10:32 AM | #4828
Quote: Originally Posted by ikinai View Post
I asked the Magic 8Ball, it said 'Outlook not so good.' And I thought about it, and was like, what does my Office email program have to do with this!? Stupid 8ball is broken.
Huh?....uh....um....OH!!!! LOL!!! That was great
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer • 7-day FREE sub • FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Foambreaker's Avatar


Foambreaker
05.14.2014 , 10:39 AM | #4829
Heard in future WZ:

Sorry, I might fail because I just switched to shadow from sage...

Please no!

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
05.14.2014 , 10:47 AM | #4830
Quote: Originally Posted by Foambreaker View Post
Heard in future WZ:

Sorry, I might fail because I just switched to shadow from sage...

Please no!
Just because YOU would have tremendous difficulty going from a Sage to a Shadow, doesn't mean everyone would - geezus man, half of your skills DO NOT CHANGE. If that's all it takes to keep a player happy and joining the WZ queue, I'm 100% in favor of it!
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer • 7-day FREE sub • FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)