Is SWTOR better than WoW?

Spreadpanic

I am here for the starwars so for me it's SWTOR

That being said, I tried WoW a few times and it offered a lot of cool stuff and seemed like a fun game, it's a bit too cartoonish for me and the character models for humans are pretty ugly, but it's based off the warcraft games and that was the way warcraft looked.

I am not an elves and fairies type of guy, but if I did not care either way and was just looking at gameplay alone then maybe I would go with WoW.

They're changing the models in the next expansion actually.

Quite the overhaul.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/12426480/artcraft-a-first-look-1-23-2014

Especially for the Humans.

Edited by Callaron

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're changing the models in the next expansion actually.

Quite the overhaul.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/12426480/artcraft-a-first-look-1-23-2014

Especially for the Humans.

that overhaul is amazing. its making me want to play my undead priest again soon (the face they used in their presentation of female undead change is the face my priest has). I'll probably end up buying expansion just to hang out with my characters and their new looks. I wonder what my troll shaman and rogue will end up looking like (presentation model was a different face from either one of them)...

Edited by Jeweledleah

I'll probably end up buying expansion just to hang out with my characters and their new looks.

Yeah, I might end up paying another visit to Azeroth myself.

It depends on whether whatever MMO I'm playing at the time will still have my attention or not. :p

As a person who enjoys leveling in RPGs, I must say I consider SWTOR to be better in that respect due to the focus on storytelling and the voiced quests - not to mention I like the SW setting obviously. I also enjoy exploration, but sadly WoW feels too illogically segmented and weirdly scaled, and SWTOR feels too linear. Combat wise I feel like WoW is much smoother but SWTOR's abilities have more "oomph". Both are pretty boring though, I am not a fan of tab targeting and trinity play. I hate MMO endgame with a passion (discovered so in WoW) and have no max level in TOR so I can't pass judgement here.

In my opinion MMOs tend to be rather average games that rely on their multiplayer aspect to make up for that mediocrity, and neither of these games are exceptions - however I consider SWTOR to be better due to its story - and also GSF has added a gameplay element I find enjoyable.

There's LOTS of story telling in WOW, but I haven't played it since just before Cata. The model updates look pretty good though.

well...

Cataclysm was truly cataclysmic. many of the stories you remember (and a lot of those stories I STILL remember)... no longer exist in game. they changed content for lvl 1 through 60 so much its just... sad. you may enjoy the changes. you may not. different people had different experiences. for me, personally ... most of the Cata stories just didn't work. though I'm trying to give them another chance by playing through all the starting areas that I skipped on a trial account. its... slow going :p

storytelling in WoW though is less interactive than in SWTOR. and very reading dependant :) almost no voice overs, with exception of cutscenes you are spectator in, rather then active participant. some people prefer it that way. to each their own :)

well...

Cataclysm was truly cataclysmic. many of the stories you remember (and a lot of those stories I STILL remember)... no longer exist in game. they changed content for lvl 1 through 60 so much its just... sad. you may enjoy the changes. you may not. different people had different experiences. for me, personally ... most of the Cata stories just didn't work. though I'm trying to give them another chance by playing through all the starting areas that I skipped on a trial account. its... slow going :p

storytelling in WoW though is less interactive than in SWTOR. and very reading dependant :) almost no voice overs, with exception of cutscenes you are spectator in, rather then active participant. some people prefer it that way. to each their own :)

The game was also made 10 years ago and is still evolving. You can't change an entire core function overnight.

The game was also made 10 years ago and is still evolving. You can't change an entire core function overnight.

well, obviously. but seeing the direction the story telling was taking, I highly doubt they will make it more interactive. they did add more voice overs to some of the later content, but again - variable, player determined conversations are not Blizzard's style. its more of a bioware/bethesda/obsidian/project red/etc style. I can recall very few quests where player determines what happens to a degree and then it still goes absolutely nowhere, its just little flavor bit. which is fine for the style of rpg that blizzard tends to create.

but what does amuse me is that often times - people demand that some of the core functions in SWTOR are changed overnight... becasue apparently its a reasonable request for this game? >_>

one thing I'm kinda feeling bemused by is that Blizzard will literally be offering sanctioned powerleveling once warlords of draenor hit. what with one free boost to lvl 90 and with more boosts for more characters being purchasable. another sign that they are probably not planing on changing up story telling methods all that much, definitely not retroactively... seeing as they are more then fine with people skipping all but newest content.

I'm sorry, I mean it in the game play point of view, the lore is better. Anything you know about WoW lore, the Warcraft lore, is in the game. SWTOR, it is not. I never played KOTOR, so for me, I don't see Han Solo or Obi-Wan or Jar Jar. I just see people called Darth and speeders and randomly named people.

Disagree. I started in mid-BC, didn't raid until mid-LK. There was nothing for the casual WoW player explaining who Arthas was, why the Scarlet Crusade was bad, or why a non-raider should care about the Sunwell. I remember trying to do the achievement where you had to fish up all the coins in the Dalaran fountain. Most of the named coins elicited a "who's that?" response - was Medivh a good guy or bad, for instance. They didn't have much storybuilding in-game. Reading through quests also didn't give you a sense of an area, or why you were doing what you were doing - only exception I found was Mankirk's wife and revenge. I left the game in Cata knowing a little about the world, but knowing I didn't need to in order to succeed.

Perhaps my interpretation is off, especially as world-building is approached differently. I do believe the use of voice and cinematics for quests stick more, even for the casual (using multiple senses vs. text-based info dump).

Part of this role-play also makes choosing characters and sides more involved. A pally is a pally, a mage is a mage, Horde/Alliance, doesn't matter. A BH is NOT a Trooper, a slinger's not a sniper. They play the same, but aren't a 1-1 faction switch. Can you imagine changing your SW's faction, have him/her become a JK?

Speaking of, TOR has a wonderful thing with Legacy, and being able to send items/money across factions. Purely as QoL, it's magnificent. Actually TOR has more QoL than WoW - mod gear, companions doing your grunt work, cross-faction trade, and moddable UI built in.

So, is SWTOR better than WoW? For me, yes. For you? You decide.

Yes, Cata was that. For me atleast and MoP nailed the coffin for me.

First slap in the beginning was having to switch my hard earned chest to a green one on my first quest in Vashir or even worse on an aircraft before I even set my feet on Pandarian ground - and second was Twilight Highland : I finished off Loremaster title (remaining 22 quests) in 2 hours and 10 mins and that included helping a group to down those arena bosses there.

Rinse and repeat that on MoP. (There wasn't even an areena to prolong it :) .

= What I like about SWToR is the possibility to create challenges by soloing or 2 manning heroic areas of HC FP's, that doesn't really exist in WoW anymore.

Yes, WoW is smooth, yes there are lots of activities for players, but somehow, for me at least it lacks challenge.

And if I'd written this on a WoW froum I would've gotten at least five replies stating " you haven't done HC raids' you can't say anything about challenge in this game". Because that's where the challenge is: it's reserved for the 2-3 % of playerbase that ever sees it.

So SwTor > WoW and I'm afraid you have to decide for yourself. Good luck in whatever you choose :)

Lets be honest. SWTORs driving factor that pulled gamers in in the first place is gone. Story Telling. That was something that was promised long after launch. And what we've received in later updates/expansions are no where near that.

WoW is a decade old now. And its still releasing Dedicated Expansions. That tells you something. That with Blizzard. Even as it begins to lose millions of Subs. Its still going to bring content to its playerbase without making the excuse that they 'cant spend that kind of money' anymore. Quite simply. Blizzard doesnt make it a habit to make promises it cant keep. And when they do. They do their best to make up for it.

People can hate on WoW all they want. But Blizzard isnt the bad guys here. EA is.