Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
SWTOR in the Life of a Casual

ENVISIONocity
12.31.2016 , 07:14 AM | #251
Quote: Originally Posted by djungelvraaal View Post
Just popped in to wish my fellow casuals a happy new year!

Also, I've discovered a few things about myself when it comes to SWTOR( better late than never)
I used to play WoW, and I loved the pvp, however, ever since I started playing this game, I've pretty much stayed away from pvp, it's just not been for me here, the other day, I all of a sudden was having fun with it( queued up for the points) as a healer no less! And this is coming from someone who's been playing this game on and off since not too long after launch, but just I only this year leveled my first ever healer , and, who would have thought, that that's what was needed for me to find pvp fun in here.

Although, some things never change, just like in so many other games, people don't really peel for their healer... and of course blame the healer for them dying when they run in on their own against 3 people( nevermind that they didn't have any healer in range of them)
That's awesome to hear, djungelvraaal! I'm nowhere remotely even resembling any sort of readiness to give PVP a go, but my helm's off to those that can.

Me, I think I might be nearing the last missions of Makeb. Last night I came across the ONE mission that continues to be my least-liked mission out of all of them I've played from Classic to KOTFE's Chapter 9—

Spoiler

Tonight was my 5th or 6th time running the mission, now with my current alt, and it finally clicked or something with me, so I managed to get through in what must have been a record time (for me)!!

I will add that I think I'm pretty overpowered for Makeb from how I remember my last visits there. And back then, I had to check in at a special station to get the planetary buff (am I remembering this right?) and then the rest was just playthrough. Several of the fights that I expected to be long were unexpectedly over before I even found a "rotation" in combat. Not that I mind, as it has been helping me through the Makeb SWTORyline at a much better pace than I recall from previous visits.

I am currently level 69, of course, while I'm being synced back to level 56. But the overpower feeling is more noticeable on Makeb than it was in previous planets where I was typically ten levels ahead of the planetary max.

Anyhoo...

AlrikFassbauer
12.31.2016 , 07:23 AM | #252
Quote: Originally Posted by ENVISIONocity View Post
I will add that I think I'm pretty overpowered for Makeb from how I remember my last visits there. And back then, I had to check in at a special station to get the planetary buff (am I remembering this right?) and then the rest was just playthrough.
I read that this station is gone. Together with the "Level Sync" ... I haven't visited Makeb since 4.0, I think ...
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

ENVISIONocity
12.31.2016 , 09:16 AM | #253
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
I read that this station is gone. Together with the "Level Sync" ... I haven't visited Makeb since 4.0, I think ...
Yep. Deactivated, and yet apparently not needed anymore due to adjustments and tuning— if this old casual player being able to progress through Makeb is any indication.

AlrikFassbauer
12.31.2016 , 10:47 AM | #254
Thank you. This gives me hope. I can revisit Makeb again, then.
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

ENVISIONocity
01.02.2017 , 11:11 AM | #255
Good afternoon and may your new year be a happy one!

Well, I sure did take advantage of my vacation, having progressed my Sith Marauder all the way through to the first Ops mission of Oricon— which is as far as I'll be able to go with the solo SWTORyline I guess.

That means that my next move is Prelude: Knights of the Fallen Empire, which means that I am at the moment of truth, when, out of some 60-70 alts over these last 5 years, I finally cross one over to Galactic Command's system.

Admittedly, I'm hesitant to do so, because there will be no take-backs, no turning-backs.

There's also the small matter of what I was expecting to see:

Spoiler

Is there anything specific I should think about doing before I take the plunge once and for all?

craggy
01.02.2017 , 11:37 AM | #256
been playing pretty heavily over the holidays.
Sorcerer is up to level 43 or 44, but not yet to Taris. Done my first Bounty week missions the past few days and they're nice and fun. Been skipping most planetary arcs, just doing Class missions and the odd Flashpoint and occasional random quick pickup quest (one was literally "go say hi to this guy!"). Really enjoying the story, and looking forward to doing the Shadow Of Revan stuff with her once I get through the main story. Have been trying to play full Darkside but the occasional accidental Lightside choice shows me she's conflicted.

Finished up KOTET on my boosted Knight. Been doing Flashpoints and Heroics when they've been the daily bonus. Even done some more PVP to get that droid fella for my Alliance. I'm relatively bad most of the time but have felt like I've helped win a few matches, and they're generally over quick and give great CXP. For all the whining about Command Crates from the hardcore players (of which I'm definitely not, so can't comment as to the validity of their concerns) I've been pretty lucky with my drops. My Knight is in pretty much full 230 rating gear, aside from maybe one or two 220 auxiliary pieces.

My Smuggler hasn't done anything since getting to the FPs at the end of Ilum. Well, he's been sat in the Stronghold, playing the market and opening up some packs because I was weak, and had Christmas money...Got some good stuff, some really good stuff, and a whole lot of really pretty darn average and junk. But selling stuff has amassed me enough credits to start being able to actually look into getting things that will fit other toons when I get around to them and make those playthrough's much more fun and engaging.
Okay, how about everyone puts their in a bowl....?

Referral Link

t_euclidus
01.02.2017 , 11:45 AM | #257
Happy New Year! It's been a crazy couple weeks but I just read through all I missed. As ever, I've enjoyed your stories.

Good afternoon and may your new year be a happy one!

Well, I sure did take advantage of my vacation, having progressed my Sith Marauder all the way through to the first Ops mission of Oricon— which is as far as I'll be able to go with the solo SWTORyline I guess.

That means that my next move is Prelude: Knights of the Fallen Empire, which means that I am at the moment of truth, when, out of some 60-70 alts over these last 5 years, I finally cross one over to Galactic Command's system.

Admittedly, I'm hesitant to do so, because there will be no take-backs, no turning-backs.

There's also the small matter of what I was expecting to see:

Spoiler

Is there anything specific I should think about doing before I take the plunge once and for all?
Congrats! If you've fully completed the expansions and are down to the end of Oricon (and you've done Rishi and Manaan and Yavin IV and had all that fun) then

Spoiler

At least that's how it worked for me on my Marauder in my most recent playthrough.
Founder | Jedi Covenant | The Quickfingers Legacy

ENVISIONocity
01.02.2017 , 12:21 PM | #258
Quote: Originally Posted by t_euclidus View Post
Congrats! If you've fully completed the expansions and are down to the end of Oricon (and you've done Rishi and Manaan and Yavin IV and had all that fun) then
The odd thing is, I must've done Rishi, Manaan, and Yavin IV at least once before now, because I remembered several parts of it as I moved through those planets. And it must've been before the level sync was added, because I remember it being a LOT more difficult.

It also reminded me of one other thing: I only progressed alts to the max level. So, on my earliest alts which I still have, they never went past level 55. Later, 65 became my stopping point. After all, what was the point of doing missions if I already achieved maximum level? So, I set those alts aside until the level cap would be increased to take advantage of the XP earned.

Which brings me to the Command XP topic. I hit L70 sometime very early into Shadow of Revan, I think. Now, I'm under the CXP system it seems, earning 25 CXP per solo mission (well, 28, since I have been using the CXP buff, too). I'm Rank 7 now that I'm at the send of the solo missions of Oricon and back on my ship awaiting the fatal moment of crossover. I don't notice any issues or problems with the earning rate. The bar moves across at a decent rate for me, and I'm only interested in being able to do the solo SWTORyline anyhow.

RNG. Well, considering that there has been RNG in the game from the moment of inception, I guess that's another area I don't see any big deals to go on about from this straight-through. I did have a main hand weapon drop back around Corellia that was so well-stacked that I couldn't top it with anything until I reached level 70. The rest of the drops have been primarily wrist pieces, and a belt or two, and they get swapped out when they offer better stats--but none of them have been as remarkable as that main hand weapon. Overall, everything is random anyhow from what I can tell.

But that's only my opinion as a person who plays casually outside of this 2-week vacation. I'll likely never have a fully-complete stat-buffed outfit, nor do I seem myself needing one for the solo content at this point. Now, will I go back and do some heroics to see if anything interesting drops? Probably, but it's not very high on my priority list at the moment.

I'm just trying to brace myself for the crossover, which I will begin today.

Jacob_Cora
01.02.2017 , 12:56 PM | #259
That's awesome to hear, djungelvraaal! I'm nowhere remotely even resembling any sort of readiness to give PVP a go, but my helm's off to those that can.
I'm never ready for PVP, but that doesn't stop me!! I think I'm getting better in Warzones, but I would never ask for opinions... The voices in my head that tell me so are much nicer (they worship me non-stop during PVP).

My plan for ny holidys was getting higher command levels for several of my characters, but creating 4 new characters has been my true occupation... I'm an addict!

And Happy New Year!! My new year resolution is creating my first Healer! Let's see if I'm brave enough to fulfill it

ENVISIONocity
01.02.2017 , 01:23 PM | #260
Quote: Originally Posted by Jacob_Cora View Post
And Happy New Year!! My new year resolution is creating my first Healer! Let's see if I'm brave enough to fulfill it
Cool! My very first SWTOR character was a Jedi Consular who healed. My second was a DPS Sith Marauder and I guess I never looked back after that. Fell in love with being able to beat down my foes with a light saber, up close and personal.

It's one thing to be responsible for keeping a companion alive, but a whole group of people? Wow! I have nothing short of full respect for those whom the Force calls to fill that need across the Galaxy!

We look forward to your triumphs, Jacob_Cora! And if you ever figure out how to be a healer and NOT pull aggro, would you please let me know? Seemed to be a regular thing during my freshman introduction to a healing class.

PS, I sure gave myself some laughs as I kept inadvertently healing the baddies who were attacking my companion, Qyzen Fess (I'm Soooooo sorry, Qyzen!). But come on, wasn't it bad enough that I was healing them? Why did they have to come over and beat on me after that?!