Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why no imperial trooper


MeanMartian's Avatar


MeanMartian
01.17.2012 , 07:41 PM | #401
I just got this great idea for an Imperial Trooper plot arc. Your character, as a lowly private, gets transferred to the command of a disgraced captain who was caught in bed with a prominent Moff's wife. Your unit gets sent on suicide mission after suicide mission, causing prominent characters in your story arc to die terrible deaths. By the time you reach level 50 you'll have been battle field promoted up to Lieutenant and you'll have seen a "Tex" get his body chopped in two by a drunk and disorderly Sith, "Chopper" will have been eaten by a Rancor, Bobbie will have melted from exposure to uncontrolled nanites, and "Sarge" will have died holding the pass at Endor against a swarm of Ewoks.

When your unit is down to just you, your five companions, and the captain, the Moff will approach you and offers you your commanding officers rank and a less suicidal post if you do the job 50 levels worth of suicidal madness did not. You get to decide whether to play ball and kill your CO or kill the Moff.

Hyperionthethird's Avatar


Hyperionthethird
01.17.2012 , 07:44 PM | #402
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohoni View Post
The Imperial Agent is a spy, he sneaks in covertly and undermines, rather than going in guns blazing. I've played all four "non-force" classes up through at least level 25, so I know how their stories differ, and there's plenty of room for alternatives. I know that they've covered their bases plenty well for launch, but post-launch I think it'd be worth working on the other four potentials.

And I agree it'd be a bit of a waste if the new ones were just clones of the existing four, if the Imp Trooper had the exact same powers as the Rep Trooper, but they don't have to. Since the Rep Trooper already has a mirror in the Bounty Hunter, the Imp Trooper can have a completely different assortment of abilities, mirrored in the Rep Contractor instead of in the existing Trooper/BH. Maybe instead of using a Gattling, the Commando equivalent could use a rocket launcher, or a sniper rifle. Maybe they could use vibroblades as a core weapon type, making them much more of a melee/range hybrid. Maybe they could use cover elements or enhanced force fields. They could mix and match powers with the other classes, and have entirely new power effects unique to these new classes.
Not really. Trooper archetype is trooper archetype. It'd just dilute the class imo.

ealabor's Avatar


ealabor
01.19.2012 , 02:08 AM | #403
Suprised to see so many clueless about the concepts of Imperial Army, really to the point that it's become annoying.


A trooper wouldn't have to be consigned to "cannon fodder" as so many clueless people put it. They have opportunity to advance much like anyone else within the Empire, or Republic side for that matter.

Just taking a look at the Empire side story lines you can easily see officership and commanders that are non sith lineage.

Sith at this point are much an aristocracy, but the bulk of command and operations are comprised mostly of non Sith, and there's plently place for a recruit in the Imperial Army to work his way up much like in fashion of a Maximillian Veers
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Maximilian_Veers

Learn the lore of the universe before posting on concepts.

alienstalker's Avatar


alienstalker
01.19.2012 , 04:54 PM | #404
Quote: Originally Posted by Goreson View Post
First question obviously: why are Han and Boba err sorry the smuggler and the bounty hunter in the game?

Because they are iconic and people would want to play them.

So whether BW first created the smuggler and then felt the need to create a mirror class in the imperial agent as the bounty hunter just didn't work (if you go Boba as a template) and then figured that the bounty hunter would actually be suited (pun) to counter the trooper so an imperial trooper was dropped, or something else happened, who really cares?

Fact is: 2 icons are in the game...

which leaves more icons to fill the list!

Well, of course are stormtroopers iconic but they are not Sith Empire.

I'd now venture a guess that BW maybe looked (a bit too closely?) at WW2:

Let's face it, Sith Empire does have Nazi Germany written all over it.

And guess what: the more iconic 'German' of WW2 is the SS. Yes, of course, you may see more pictures of normal Wehrmacht soldiers but these are for most part (going by movie/gaming mentality) just fodder for ya tommy gun.

On the other side you obviously have the G.I. - any Allied forces combatant more iconic?

S, if you go by that, yes, the imperial agent as well as the trooper are iconic choices, maybe not quite from a SW point of view, but they are if you are working from a slightly less set background than the SW movies.

Now, should there be an imperial trooper, a republic bounty hunter, etc.?

I'd say no...

maybe, if you want a more 'iconic' look for the imperial 'trooper' give the imperial agent medium armour styled after say the Scout troopers in 'Jedi'...?

(not played ia yet, so I don't know if that style is actually an option for his clothes...)

bounty hunter on the republic side?

well, if you've ever played the smuggler you'll know that he can be played all about the money... which in the end matches a bounty hunter mentality to the dot.

You want the best of 2 worlds ni.e. a mean arsed money focus guy (or gal) in heavy armour on the Republic side? Go trooper and play him that way!

Yes, of course, the storyline won't be a fit, but hey, I think there are more important things to address for BW than giving the 'trooper' a 'switch to republic bounty hunter storyline' option.

Rather, I'd say new character class concepts should be what BW should have an eye on instead of modifying existing classes to create class alternatives with a new name...

Ever wondered what shape 'summoners' are going to take in SWTOR?

Well, on imperial side some droid master, but on republic?
The problem with being a Republic trooper is that you are a part of havoc squad. I don't want some super uber super soldier who is best at everything war based. I want a generic soldier. Thats what this argument is about.

alienstalker's Avatar


alienstalker
01.19.2012 , 04:59 PM | #405
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohoni View Post
The Imperial Agent is a spy, he sneaks in covertly and undermines, rather than going in guns blazing. I've played all four "non-force" classes up through at least level 25, so I know how their stories differ, and there's plenty of room for alternatives. I know that they've covered their bases plenty well for launch, but post-launch I think it'd be worth working on the other four potentials.

And I agree it'd be a bit of a waste if the new ones were just clones of the existing four, if the Imp Trooper had the exact same powers as the Rep Trooper, but they don't have to. Since the Rep Trooper already has a mirror in the Bounty Hunter, the Imp Trooper can have a completely different assortment of abilities, mirrored in the Rep Contractor instead of in the existing Trooper/BH. Maybe instead of using a Gattling, the Commando equivalent could use a rocket launcher, or a sniper rifle. Maybe they could use vibroblades as a core weapon type, making them much more of a melee/range hybrid. Maybe they could use cover elements or enhanced force fields. They could mix and match powers with the other classes, and have entirely new power effects unique to these new classes.
The imperial trooper. I think should be a medium armor class, that is mostly a ranged class. You have vibroswords too if the enemy gets close. This will make it different from the Bounty hunter and republic trooper.

alienstalker's Avatar


alienstalker
01.19.2012 , 05:02 PM | #406
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohoni View Post
Well clearly with the Imp Trooper you control wouldn't be one of the faceless mob, he would be a "hero" Trooper, much like the Republic one, a member of a special squad or with some other sort of special dispensation that gives him some latitude to move through the game's content. He might have a more antagonistic relationship with his superiors, then the Republic one would, but he wouldn't be a complete drone either.

Unless they went with the direction I originally wanted them to do with the Rep Trooper and made it a pet class, in which the "core" character you play is relatively weak compared to other classes, but you can have multiple companions out at once, an entire active team of 2-3 companions (even in PvP) and your combined capabilities make you equivalent to the other classes (most of the abilities you'd have would instead be issuing commands to your companions). It's always kind of a bummer as a Trooper that they keep making me build up "Havoc Squad" into some bad### fighting unit, and yet everyone but me an Elena spend all their time back on the ship Slicing away like my own crack unit of Chinese gold farmers rather than a crack spec ops unit.
I don't want the imperial trooper to become another one of those guys in a video game that is super ultra uber awesome at everything war based. I want to be generic.

alienstalker's Avatar


alienstalker
01.19.2012 , 05:03 PM | #407
Quote: Originally Posted by smartalectwo View Post
We get to see the state of life in the Empire, the very thing you describe, through the current four classes. We don't always get to experience it first-hand, but we certainly see it all around. I don't think there's any new angle the life of a solider in the Imperial Army would show.

I guess there's not much that can really be done with the Imperial Troopers. They're conscripts, they're levies. They're the archetypal Stormtroopers, the guys who show up, fail to to hit the heroes and get killed. That's not really hero material. It'd be an interesting story to READ, but it'd be the odd man out when put alongside the other four classes. The Sith Empire's special forces... are the Sith, that's what the 'Hope' trailer showed anyway.

By comparison, the Republic Trooper is the mainstay of the Republic army, and the Jedi Order are their allies, rather than their rulers.

It's an overall flavour thing. The Empire has armies of conscripted faceless goons led by powerful sorceror lords, and backed up by sneaky spies and tough, ruthless mercenaries. The Republic has noble citizen-soldiers backed up by the Jedi Order and semi-heroic independent privateers. Messing with that balance too much would hurt the feel.
There is a new angle to life. You would have to deal with superiors. Try to prove yourself not useless but finding it really difficult. Oh and the imperial troopers are better than the stormtroopers. So your not gonna miss as much.

alienstalker's Avatar


alienstalker
01.19.2012 , 05:06 PM | #408
Quote: Originally Posted by MeanMartian View Post
I just got this great idea for an Imperial Trooper plot arc. Your character, as a lowly private, gets transferred to the command of a disgraced captain who was caught in bed with a prominent Moff's wife. Your unit gets sent on suicide mission after suicide mission, causing prominent characters in your story arc to die terrible deaths. By the time you reach level 50 you'll have been battle field promoted up to Lieutenant and you'll have seen a "Tex" get his body chopped in two by a drunk and disorderly Sith, "Chopper" will have been eaten by a Rancor, Bobbie will have melted from exposure to uncontrolled nanites, and "Sarge" will have died holding the pass at Endor against a swarm of Ewoks.

When your unit is down to just you, your five companions, and the captain, the Moff will approach you and offers you your commanding officers rank and a less suicidal post if you do the job 50 levels worth of suicidal madness did not. You get to decide whether to play ball and kill your CO or kill the Moff.
I like the idea of this story. But I think the captain should be disgraced for almost losing or even losing a battle instead. But other than that tweak I like the idea.

Ohoni's Avatar


Ohoni
01.19.2012 , 05:21 PM | #409
Quote:
The imperial trooper. I think should be a medium armor class, that is mostly a ranged class. You have vibroswords too if the enemy gets close. This will make it different from the Bounty hunter and republic trooper.
That just sounds like a Sniper though, they can do all those things (except that they use a knife). I think they need some truly unique traits, but they should definitely be a heavy armor combat class, DPS/Tank.

Quote:
I don't want the imperial trooper to become another one of those guys in a video game that is super ultra uber awesome at everything war based. I want to be generic.
Then you can just not play very well, but I think they need to make the player character stand out from the pack a bit, this isn't like mob-play.

Pastorfrog's Avatar


Pastorfrog
01.19.2012 , 06:37 PM | #410
Quote: Originally Posted by Ohoni View Post


One thing to note, the "Trooper" class in TOR is clearly not based on original trilogy Storm Troopers. Storm Troopers were chumps, and the Trooper is no chump. The TOR Trooper is clearly more based off of the Clonewars ARC Troopers, which, while clones, were special forces "Havoc Squad material." And they were Republic side.



Lol.
Of course they're Republic side. The "original trilogy Storm Troopers" are Republic Side, too. The Sith Empire in this game is long dead by the time of the original movies, the "Empire" from that movie IS the Republic after Palpatine disbanded the senate.