Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why no imperial trooper


Boissi's Avatar


Boissi
05.11.2012 , 07:02 AM | #491
We get 4 stories per side. Why do we want classes that are totally similar to each other in both story and design? We have a republic trooper and we have an imperial agent. Two different looks into the military of both sides. If we had an imperial trooper, we wouldn't have bounty hunters. Is that really what we want? Now we have smuggler and BH on both sides: classes that are basically independent, yet work for different sides. A much better balance of stories imo. I really cannot believe people think mirror roles/stories are better than completely unique ones. BH and smuggler are very iconic characters in the Star Wars universe on their respective sides. Agent an Trooper are less so, but no less awesome. Sure, anyone can think of a dozen different class ideas that would be cool, but in game development you really do have to make choices. It's insane that this topic has so many replies arguing that we should have imperial troopers, who most closely resemble stormtroopers from the original trilogy, and who were basically just cannon fodder. I prefer agents and bounty hunters by a pretty huge margin.

Basically, no point crying after an Imperial Trooper. They didn't go for it, and they never will. If they make new classes down the line, I'm sure they can think of a hundred better stories than the life of a stormtrooper, and from a gameplay stand-point it would be a pretty insane idea to make another trooper. I'm not saying it couldn't be cool, because it could, but if you want to play a trooper, play republic. That's all.
@ Scepter of Ragnos

Zixu - 50 Sith Juggernaut |||Sihq - 50 Sith Sorcerer ||| Powers - 50 Operative ||| Ziksi - 49 Jedi Sentinel ||| Ziksu - 41 Powertech ||| Zixi - 17+ Sniper

LordRaeth's Avatar


LordRaeth
05.11.2012 , 12:16 PM | #492
I wouldn't mind an Imperial trooper who uses melee weapons, atm anything melee apart from a lightsaber is companion gear, I think an Emperor's Guard would be an awesome class.

undeadsithdread's Avatar


undeadsithdread
05.11.2012 , 05:43 PM | #493
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
....Or you could buy the CE and buy the Imperial trooper armor from the CE vendor for your agent.... just saying.
no thank you .

i want entire trooper class!
Sith assassin Forever!

Lunafox's Avatar


Lunafox
05.11.2012 , 08:04 PM | #494
I agree, I think it would be great to have imperial troppers and smugglers...or even make them a 'neutral' faction, so that they can play both sides. I suppose that could get unbalancing, but who knows, I don't see any probs with picking a neutral class, and then committing to a side later on maybe...
Lunafox's Stories🌙🦊Lunafox's Decorating
Koona t'chuta, Solo?
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
omg Darth Lunafox in the house

NovaNoir's Avatar


NovaNoir
05.16.2012 , 04:09 AM | #495
Quote: Originally Posted by Crito View Post
So, I'm left thinking that Bioware's mistake with troopers was making them a Republic class instead of an Imperial Class. Would it not have made more sense to assume that in making a clone army, Palpatine was creating something that the old Sith Empire had? After all, he also reinstated grey uniformed officers and a black armoured Sith Lord.
You're... ignoring the EU in an EU game set after several other EU games and incorporating material from dozens of EU media? And then claiming that Bioware made a mistake in making the Troopers Republic?

I mean, you're ignoring most of the fluff of the game, then coming up with conclusions based on that. I'unno, that just seems stupid to me.


Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
....Or you could buy the CE and buy the Imperial trooper armor from the CE vendor for your agent.... just saying.
That's really not cheap at all, you know.

Crito's Avatar


Crito
05.16.2012 , 11:05 AM | #496
Quote: Originally Posted by NovaNoir View Post
You're... ignoring the EU in an EU game set after several other EU games and incorporating material from dozens of EU media? And then claiming that Bioware made a mistake in making the Troopers Republic?

I mean, you're ignoring most of the fluff of the game, then coming up with conclusions based on that. I'unno, that just seems stupid to me.
.
Yes, I am ignoring the EU quite deliberately because how many people here really care about the EU? There are plenty of Star Wars fans out there who do, but how many of them play MMO's? Put it another way, how many MMO players are Star Wars fans? Do you really think any MMO can survive simply by attracting the hardcore fans of a particular IP?

If this game was ever going to thrive as an MMO, it needed to attract MMO players who are not Star Wars fans too and those people do not care about the EU at all. What those people want is to play a game that looks and acts like they expect it to. If they have a passing knowledge of Star Wars, as many, many people do, they chances are they would expect the "stormtroopers" to be the bad guys.




... and did you just call me stupid?
"Entitlement" - The new Godwinism

VanorDM's Avatar


VanorDM
05.16.2012 , 11:39 AM | #497
Quote: Originally Posted by Crito View Post
they chances are they would expect the "stormtroopers" to be the bad guys.
They would also expect the Orks to be badguys, but in WoW the Hoard isn't really the bad guys either. So your argument falls apart. Plus anyone with a passing knowledge of SW would also have some knowledge of the Clone Wars show, in which all the Troopers are good guys.

In fact, they would be more likely to associate the look and feel of the Trooper class with the Republic then Empire given how popular the Clones Wars show is, and how recent it is.

Myself I think an Imperial Trooper class could work in this game. The real question isn't if there can be one but if the time and effort to make whole new classes is a good idea or not. If so, would something that plays very much like the Bounty Hunter be a good idea or not, even with a new storyline.

Crito's Avatar


Crito
05.16.2012 , 12:31 PM | #498
Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post
They would also expect the Orks to be badguys, but in WoW the Hoard isn't really the bad guys either. So your argument falls apart. Plus anyone with a passing knowledge of SW would also have some knowledge of the Clone Wars show, in which all the Troopers are good guys.
I wouldn't expect orcs to be bad guys in WoW on the basis of them being the bad guys in other settings, but I would expect troopers to be the bad guys in a Star Wars game on the basis of them being the bad guys in Star Wars.

Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post
In fact, they would be more likely to associate the look and feel of the Trooper class with the Republic then Empire given how popular the Clones Wars show is, and how recent it is.
... except that the clone troopers are not actually good guys at all. As I said in my earlier post, they are actually enemy sleeper agents who will eventually kill the jedi. Given that the whole look and feel of the Sith Empire is based largely on the Galactic Empire of the original trilogy, my opinion is that troopers in their current form, would have worked better as an Imperial class.
"Entitlement" - The new Godwinism

VanorDM's Avatar


VanorDM
05.16.2012 , 12:48 PM | #499
Quote: Originally Posted by Crito View Post
I wouldn't expect orcs to be bad guys in WoW on the basis of them being the bad guys in other settings
They were the bad guys in the Warcraft games.

Quote:
I would expect troopers to be the bad guys in a Star Wars game on the basis of them being the bad guys in Star Wars.
The clone troopers started off as good guys, and there's a whole TV show devoted to them being bad guys. Anyone who knows anything at all about Star Wars will know about the TV Show, and will know that the troopers started off as good guys.

The fact that some people who only saw Ep 4-6 and associates the trooper with Stormtroopers simply doesn't matter at all. Espeically considering that the Troopers in this game don't even really look much like Stormtroopers. They have color on their armor, their helmets are different and they use different weapons.

Plus they start off with no helmet and armor that looks Nothing like the clone troopers or storm troopers.

Your whole argument fails on pretty much every level, because it counts on people who most likely don't even exist or else exist in such small numbers that it doesn't matter. The bulk of people who play MMO's will have at least a passing understanding of the SW universe and as such know that the Republic Troopers came first. They will not come here expecting Imperial Troopers any more then you expected to see Orc's being the badguys in WoW.

Given the popularity of the Clone Wars TV show, the fact that SWTOR takes place 3000 years prior to that, and the need to balance classes in this game...

It would of been monumentally stupid of them to make Imperial Troopers and not make Republic Troopers. They could of done both, but then there would be either no bounty hunters, or else bounty hunters on both sides. That would of required 5 stories per side.

Crito's Avatar


Crito
05.16.2012 , 01:09 PM | #500
Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post
The clone troopers started off as good guys, and there's a whole TV show devoted to them being bad guys. Anyone who knows anything at all about Star Wars will know about the TV Show, and will know that the troopers started off as good guys.
I think you've missed the point of my posts. I'm arguing that the clone troopers were never the good guys. They didn't start out as the good guys and turn into bad guys. they were created as sleeper agents, were always the bad guys, were always intended to betray the jedi. They were the bad guys.

Remember that the events of the Clone Wars series take place between episodes 2 and 3. The true nature of the clone troopers was only revealed towards the end of episode 3.

Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post
It would of been monumentally stupid of them to make Imperial Troopers and not make Republic Troopers. They could of done both, but then there would be either no bounty hunters, or else bounty hunters on both sides. That would of required 5 stories per side.
I'm only taking issue with the people who have said that it makes no sense to have Imperial Troopers. To me it makes perfect sense. If we are playing a game of "What would we have done differently", then I would have still had 4 classes per side. What I would not have had is two force user classes per side. One is plenty. Sith Warriors, Imperial Troopers, Bounty Hunters and Imperial Agents would have been my dream team as far as the Empire is concerned.
"Entitlement" - The new Godwinism