Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why no imperial trooper

laydenyght
01.05.2012 , 10:16 PM | #91
There certaintly is stuff in the middle, but how can that be accomplished alone? I'm genuinely asking, I'm not trying to be sassy. Would each quest have you fight larger groups, but with multiple companions? In a story driven game, it's hard to imagine a consistant stream of excuses from above as to why an average soldier would repeatedly be send off on his own.

alienstalker
01.05.2012 , 10:17 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkestDaemon View Post
Wrong. If the commander was -the commander of an elite commando squad- chances are the troopers with him were -elite commandos-.

Not true. It gives them direction but not what form.

While they can sword fight with them, I don't think that means they can go toe-to-toe. And more than likely, any soldiers who can kill Jedi/Sith would be considered part of elite squads. I also think the Force is going to give the Jedi/Sith an edge in any fight.

*Pinches bridge of nose* I do know stories that have average characters becoming heroes... but they also have heroes with them.

In The Lord of the Rings, while Frodo was the everyday-hero, he was backed up by those heroes considered larger than life. I mean, honestly, how far could he have made it without Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Gandalf?

Pit him against a Ring Wraith, he'll be useless. While the underdog story is heart warming it isn't -practical-. It just isn't. I can honestly say, if I was given a blaster and told to go and kill Sith with it... I would find a smuggler and join up with them.

Your everyday soldier isn't going to be a match for a Sith. Your elite soldiers who are called Sith Slayers or Jedi Killers? Yeah, those would be common.
You obviously haven't seen Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, or many of those other war movies.

DarkestDaemon
01.05.2012 , 10:18 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by alienstalker View Post
You obviously haven't seen Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, or many of those other war movies.
There were Jedi in Black Hawk Down?

UjellyTrollicus
01.05.2012 , 10:20 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by alienstalker View Post
i must have missed the scene where the jedi show up.....

alienstalker
01.05.2012 , 10:21 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by laydenyght View Post
There certaintly is stuff in the middle, but how can that be accomplished alone? I'm genuinely asking, I'm not trying to be sassy. Would each quest have you fight larger groups, but with multiple companions? In a story driven game, it's hard to imagine a consistant stream of excuses from above as to why an average soldier would repeatedly be send off on his own.
You wouldn't be sent off on mission on your own. And you don't have to have tons of companions either. Just lots of other soldiers with you. You can have 1 or 2 companions who are your best friends in the army. But the other guys are just random soldiers assisting you in battle. And the trooper storyline would have battles not missions.

PJEBarlow
01.05.2012 , 10:21 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by UjellyTrollicus View Post
actually sith and warships seemed to do the bulk of the work. i do recall a few imperial troopers in the deceived trailer, but they didn't really get a whole lot done.

as for the rest of the grunts on coruscant, yes they did do that, they do that to many planets. entire armies of them anyways, sometimes several.

we didn't see an imperial commando team sneaking into the temple to take out the shields, it was a bounty hunter.
Someone has already pointed out how the in-game movies (of which Deceived is one) only serve to showcase the in-game classes. If we're talking common sense though, a navy alone does not win a war of occupation.

The Empire sacked Coruscant, evicted the Jedi, and sued the Republic for peace. It didn't do that only with mere "grunts" and to argue otherwise would be nonsense. Not only because it makes no sense, but because it would imply a lot about how special Republic troopers really aren't if they got caned by such a weaksauce force.

ColonelColt
01.05.2012 , 10:21 PM | #97
Wrong. If the commander was -the commander of an elite commando squad- chances are the troopers with him were -elite commandos-.
I don't even know if he WAS a commander of an elite commando unit. To be honest I doubt he was. I said even if HE was special, not that he was commanding something special.

Not true. It gives them direction but not what form.
Actually, this is wrong. It doesn't give them details in any way, shape or form. It just tells them something bad is about to happen. It's their decades of training that allows them to interpret that into something useable.

While they can sword fight with them, I don't think that means they can go toe-to-toe. And more than likely, any soldiers who can kill Jedi/Sith would be considered part of elite squads. I also think the Force is going to give the Jedi/Sith an edge in any fight.
Jedi/Sith are not THAT magnificent. Unlike the game, they can't force-spam when in combat. It requires a lot of focus and concentration and makes them very vulnerable to attack. If it's 1v1 then they can force-spam more freely, but in a warzone situation you wont see a force user using the force in any blatant way, they certainly wont be levitating people up and zapping them or anything. So without their more blatant force powers, then year, soldiers can often go toe-to-toe with them.

*Pinches bridge of nose* I do know stories that have average characters becoming heroes... but they also have heroes with them.

In The Lord of the Rings, while Frodo was the everyday-hero, he was backed up by those heroes considered larger than life. I mean, honestly, how far could he have made it without Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Gandalf?

Pit him against a Ring Wraith, he'll be useless. While the underdog story is heart warming it isn't -practical-. It just isn't. I can honestly say, if I was given a blaster and told to go and kill Sith with it... I would find a smuggler and join up with them.

Your everyday soldier isn't going to be a match for a Sith. Your elite soldiers who are called Sith Slayers or Jedi Killers? Yeah, those would be common.
Your example is a bad one because Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, they weren't really that special. They were all royalty sure, but combat-wise they were not that amazing. They didn't have any super amazing talents or anything. All they had were years of training. Gandalf is about the only one who was anything special.

Whether you want to admit it, an everyday soldier is very much a match for a jedi or sith. You are WOEFULLY overestimating how powerful force users are.

ucankurbaga
01.05.2012 , 10:22 PM | #98
I always thought about this from the beginning, and I think it would fit right in to the game. You see cool looking imperial soldiers hanging around the city but can't play them :S

alienstalker
01.05.2012 , 10:22 PM | #99
There were Jedi in Black Hawk Down?
Oh for God's sake I was making a example of movies with soldiers who were not influencing the government.

alienstalker
01.05.2012 , 10:24 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by ucankurbaga View Post
I always thought about this from the beginning, and I think it would fit right in to the game. You see cool looking imperial soldiers hanging around the city but can't play them :S
I know right.