You can lead a PVPer to PVP, but you can't make them PVP.

Vlaid

"Hey man you should join a PVP server. That's where all the real PVPers are going. Going to be so EPIC!"

Yes. Epic like this:

Why am I not surprised this took place on a PVP server? It feels to me like if you want a bunch of people who really don't care about PVP at all, the best place to look is a PVP server. Never in my life have I seen PVP servers in a game that contained such a high volume of people DETERMINED not to PVP no matter the cost.

It seems to me that the players need to start taking some responsibility for their own selfish, self-centered, egotistical ways. I really detest this group of players with the attitude of "Well if I CAN do it, I will. It's your game, you fix the bugs". Every MMO I have ever played has had a STRICT policy that if you abuse the game in ways they did not intend....even if they didn't come right out point blank and SAY it is abuse, you can and will be banned for the abuse.

It's a shame Bioware doesn't share that same policy.

At the end of the day, I just get a chuckle everytime someone tells me to go to a PVP server for PVP. There's less PVP happening on PVP servers than on PVE servers at the moment. Why? Because we don't have a bunch of self-entitled failures organizing a huge aoe kill trading fest.

Imagine that? They could have put all that effort that went into organizing a kill trading day....and instead.....organized an evenly matched ops vs ops battle at an undisclosed location (even in some dark corner of Ilum where it wouldn't be disturbed!).

But what do they spend their time doing? Flip trading pre 1.1, and aoe kill trading in post 1.1. It's a shame these so called "PVPers" don't have the same zeal for the thing they CLAIM to enjoy so much. But nope, they put all their effort into just about TRYING not to PVP when they claim that's all they want to do. What a load of bull.

If DAOC or any other "world pvp" oriented game existed today, it would be the worst thing ever. You would have people keep swapping, aoe kill swapping for realm ranks. Really, people like this are just shooting themselves in the foot. This just gives more and more reason to devs to not make these so called "epic" games you want so bad. It's clear you don't WANT to open world PVP when you do things like this. If some of these so called PVPers spent half the time actually pvping as they do trying to abuse the system, it would be great PVP (it's pretty great in Ilum on my server, always a good fight to be had somewhere).

At the end of the day, rewards or not, you're responsible for how you spend your time in game. If you claim to love doing a particular activity but spend all your time making it the least enjoyable thing in the game....well what kind of player does that make you?

I remember the days when in order to call yourself a "PVPer" it meant that you cared about PVP. It meant you wanted to win. It didn't mean you were lazy and did everything you could to get PVP gear without PVPing.

So if you want PVP, PVP servers seem to be the last place you'd want to look for them. Maybe try an RP server, you won't run into any of this so called new generation of "PVPers" there.

TLDR: Game developers can only try to give players the tools to engage in PVP, it's up to them to use them to engage in PVP. If they choose to do everything in their power to NOT pvp....well there's little Bioware can do to fix players with terrible sportsmanship. That's not a bug. That's just YOU.

PVP just fails in MMO's, always has unless it's a pvp driven MMO such as DAOC, Aion or those of the sorts. It's fun and enjoyable when you do it every now and then but unfortunately if you are hardcore, pvp only, you will be dissapointed time and time again by games like this.

I heard on an interview, the mastermind behind EQ original basically said: "Players will always do whats best for players, even if it's contradictory to the spirit of the objective." He said this back in 2004.

Make objective swapping the most profitable method of PvP character advancement, players will stop PvPing. Make kill trading the most profitable method of PvP character advancement, players will stop PvPing and do that.

Lastly, make PvP not rewarding for the underpopulated side, and they'll stop coming outside to play. Right now, on *almost* every server, the Imperials are like the swam of bullies riding bikes outside the Repubs kid house. Any surprise the Repubs kid just shuts his window, doesn't come outside and just does something else with his time?

Edited by McVade

I totally agree.

PvP is player driven content. Always. The expressions of entitlement that have stormed this board for the last couple of days have been somewhat nauseating to me to.

If you have an MMO with absolutely no incentive to PvP whatsoever, but simply enable players to fight eachother, then PvP will happen. Seen this in every MMO that was released with PvP enabled and no PvP incentives (WoW being the easiest example).

It's when poorly balanced incentives (the actual objectives and the rewards) are introduced that things change. I'd like to blame the community when I see so many people I disagree with posting, but I honestly think the same environment would have been created years ago if UO or DAoC players had a SWTOR at release instead.

it's not pvp in mmo that fails

it's gear grind based pvp that fails

it's everyone wins and no one loses that fails

look at the games that people remember for good pvp, in my own experience that's ultima and swg, in both of these crafted gear was the best, you gained when you won and more importantly you lost something when you lost. indecently neither had instanced pvp.

Edited by Roak