Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://corellianrun.com/2017/08/30/episode-192-special-interview-w-eric-musco/

now go listen to it i'm not saying when he says it so you will have to listen to the entire cast

I've really no time to listen to this for 1+ hour where most of the chit chat is just annoying superficial, meaningless pr and wannabe cool blah blah anyway (reminds me of the meaningless self on the back clapping bs video live casts with the last producer actually).

Would anybody be so kind to just point out what the relevant few points were, especially regarding the topic of this thread?

I've really no time to listen to this for 1+ hour where most of the chit chat is just annoying superficial, meaningless pr and wannabe cool blah blah anyway (reminds me of the meaningless self on the back clapping bs video live casts with the last producer actually).

Would anybody be so kind to just point out what the relevant few points were, especially regarding the topic of this thread?

And if anyone can provide the time stamps, it would be helpful.

I just wasted an hour listening to that podcast, OMG it's so dry and boring and those guys don't even ask followup questions to Eric's answers. The whole thing is staged and he gets the questions days before so he can talk to the Devs. Ok, fair enough, he needs to so he can provide answers. But the interviewers don't follow up on his answers to get more detail or pin him down when he gets vague.

One example is his response about 8 man ranked and it being canned because it had low participation because people needed to form premade teams of 8 before a match. He then said 4 man ranked would provide more participation because they only need to form a 4 man premade. So why the heck did they need to include a solo queue? Because they knew people would have trouble forming 4 man premades for grouped or that just one team would dominate the server and people would stop playing it. Bioware never even tried to add a solo queue to 8 man ranked and if they had it would have been just as successful as solo 4 man ranked was at the time.

My point is the interviewers should learn how to interview. they should have asked follow up questions, but like all of these sorts of things, it's staged to make Bioware look good and not to actually get real answers for the community. These guys are part of the influencer program and part of the problem, so it's no wonder we are in the situation we are now. They are yes men and basically tell Bioware what they want to hear instead of what players want.

I for one will never waste my time listening to one of their pod casts again. At least the badfeelingpodcast asks follow ups and even criticises Bioware to their face. So far the only interview I've ever seen done that really put the hard questions to Bioware is the one Snave did with Eric last year. It's probably why we haven't seen another because he tried to not let Eric off the hook when he tried to wiggle out of them. You could see Eric got uncomfortable and I doubt Snave will ever get another interview out of him. But it would be good if he could and also include Keith. Maybe then we could get some answers on the tough questions everyone keeps asking and not the propaganda answers Bioware half supplies.

Edited by Totemdancer

I just wasted an hour listening to that podcast, OMG it's so dry and boring and those guys don't even ask followup questions to Eric's answers. The whole thing is staged and he gets the questions days before so he can talk to the Devs. Ok, fair enough, he needs to so he can provide answers. But the interviewers don't follow up on his answers to get more detail or pin him down when he gets vague.

One example is his response about 8 man ranked and it being canned because it had low participation because people needed to form premade teams of 8 before a match. He then said 4 man ranked would provide more participation because they only need to form a 4 man premade. So why the heck did they need to include a solo queue? Because they knew people would have trouble forming 4 man premades for grouped or that just one team would dominate the server and people would stop playing it. Bioware never even tried to add a solo queue to 8 man ranked and if they had it would have been just as successful as solo 4 man ranked was at the time.

My point is the interviewers should learn how to interview. they should have asked follow up questions, but like all of these sorts of things, it's staged to make Bioware look good and not to actually get real answers for the community. These guys are part of the influencer program and part of the problem, so it's no wonder we are in the situation we are now. They are yes men and basically tell Bioware what they want to hear instead of what players want.

I for one will never waste my time listening to one of their pod casts again. At least the badfeelingpodcast asks follow ups and even criticises Bioware to their face. So far the only interview I've ever seen done that really put the hard questions to Bioware is the one Snave did with Eric last year. It's probably why we haven't seen another because he tried to not let Eric off the hook when he tried to wiggle out of them. You could see Eric got uncomfortable and I doubt Snave will ever get another interview out of him. But it would be good if he could and also include Keith. Maybe then we could get some answers on the tough questions everyone keeps asking and not the propaganda answers Bioware half supplies.

Thank you, I guessed that after I've listened into the first few "hyper hyper all is cool and well and awesome" minutes. The info value seemed to be at a zero level like in any other ad you see on TV or elsewhere. I hate ads masqueraded as info....

Thank you, I guessed that after I've listened into the first few "hyper hyper all is cool and well and awesome" minutes. The info value seemed to be at a zero level like in any other ad you see on TV or elsewhere. I hate ads masqueraded as info....

Yeah... that is why I asked dude for a link and he returned with an hour long episode of nothing and brown nosing with nothing actually pertaining to a fix.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/169776717

From 44m - 45:25 it might not be as clean cut as I thought but it does mention that something should be coming in the next roadmap or just after.

Not as clean cut as you initially claimed is a HUGE understatement. In fact, it is not even as clear cut as you now claim.

First, Eric specifically says "IF" and NOT "when", when discussing server merges.

Second, he says only that he is "hopeful" that Keith may include something in the road map or shortly after, NOT that there will be, or even "should be", something in the road map, or even shortly after.

Not as clean cut as you initially claimed is a HUGE understatement. In fact, it is not even as clear cut as you now claim.

First, Eric specifically says "IF" and NOT "when", when discussing server merges.

Second, he says only that he is "hopeful" that Keith may include something in the road map or shortly after, NOT that there will be, or even "should be", something in the road map, or even shortly after.

Rata you always have to get that post in ?

Just making sure that the TRUTH gets out there.

If my posting of the truth offends you, you have the power to ensure that the truth is already out there.

Your truth? My truth? Bioware's truth? The one and only truth? Everyone always claims to know or have the truth... so if we all claim it, who actually has the truth in hands? Or... do we all hold a piece of the truth in our hands and see it as the one and only?

In this case, only Bioware holds the entire picture of this matter, so neither you or I can claim to be speaking the truth. We only presume to know it.

Edited by Ylliarus

Your truth? My truth? Bioware's truth? The one and only truth? Everyone always claims to know or have the truth... so if we all claim it, who actually has the truth in hands? Or... do we all hold a piece of the truth in our hands and see it as the one and only?

In this case, only Bioware holds the entire picture of this matter, so neither you or I can claim to be speaking the truth. We only presume to know it.

Most reasonable people would know that, in this case, the truth to which I was referring pertains only to the claims made by another poster that:

Thought Musco said there will be something in the roadmap with an idea of what they will do with some of the real lemon servers but hey that's Musco and not keith heheheeh

and

From 44m - 45:25 it might not be as clean cut as I thought but it does mention that something should be coming in the next roadmap or just after.

when the reality of what Eric Musco said is actually vastly different and much vaguer.

I have stated many times that only BW can know what decisions they will make and what direction they will decide to go. I have also stated many times that nothing is carved in stone at this time.

What I have not done is to read more than is being said into statements made by BW officials or completely disregard statements made by BW officials that may not be what I want to hear in favor of placing "holy grail" status upon third party sources that say what I want to hear.

i really don't know alot.. but dose anyone know what the actuall normal current player base per server both SUB / FTP?

ok blast me ,,, lol but it would be nice to know

I suspect that is information only BW has, despite the claims of many of the "merge servers NOW!!!!! I NEED more LFG fodder!!!!!!" crowd.

Most reasonable people would know that, in this case, the truth to which I was referring pertains only to the claims made by another poster that:

and

when the reality of what Eric Musco said is actually vastly different and much vaguer.

I have stated many times that only BW can know what decisions they will make and what direction they will decide to go. I have also stated many times that nothing is carved in stone at this time.

What I have not done is to read more than is being said into statements made by BW officials or completely disregard statements made by BW officials that may not be what I want to hear in favor of placing "holy grail" status upon third party sources that say what I want to hear.

This nonsense was however a good thing for this thread... because it very clearly demonstrates that people can and will interpret and present things in a way that fits their narrative. And for some people, they have no problem conflating and seeing things that are not actually there... and then insisting they are "facts of record". :)

But the funniest and most persistent thing in this long running thread is the continued posting demanding cross server, mega servers, etc.... when it is pretty clear that the studio will never do cross server or megaservers (as defined by players who like to use the ESO model as their baseline). Cross server and megaserver are something you build into an MMO from the start.... NOT try to bolt it on years later. Which in no way implies they will do nothing about servers that are essentially empty... as they clearly will at some point. What is not known is "what" and "when" on the part of the studio. Happily, the studio "gets it" with respect to the need to solve the guild transfer shortfalls before doing anything on the studio side of things. Any impatient player is free to transfer at any time for a nominal fee of 90cc, to any server they desire.

The other hilarious things is players demanding that the old, empty, PvP servers be folded into one of the still active servers... as though that will actually do anything positive. Since an empty server has no active player population... moving it does absolutely nothing. But logic and common sense has always been in short supply in this thread. :)

Edited by Andryah

Rata you always have to get that post in ?

Wouldn't want anyone misinterpreting your words as theirs and making the wrong conclusions and later claiming promises and lies would you? It's always best to just be straight forward with what was actually said and not try to push a point of view.

Edited by kodrac

Great find. I enjoy listening to Eric more these days as he seems more friendly and thoughtful. The host did a great job of fielding questions. I don't think Bioware Austin is fully grasping people playing a game that feels like it's in decline versus one with a sustainable population to access all the content the game offers.

It was certainly more encouraging than having to verbally parlay the 'Let's Keep all 17 Servers exactly the way they are' isolationists you get on this thread whenever a pro merger person makes a good point.

Great find. I enjoy listening to Eric more these days as he seems more friendly and thoughtful. The host did a great job of fielding questions. I don't think Bioware Austin is fully grasping people playing a game that feels like it's in decline versus one with a sustainable population to access all the content the game offers.

It was certainly more encouraging than having to verbally parlay the 'Let's Keep all 17 Servers exactly the way they are' isolationists you get on this thread whenever a pro merger person makes a good point.

Did I hear a different interview, or did I just hear what was actually said and not just what I wanted to hear?

Edited by Ratajack

The people fielding those questions were hopeless and didnt follow up. All of those questions are ones we've been asking Eric/Keith for the last 6 months.

Because those guys didn't do followup responses Eric's answers, Eric may as well have just made a forum post.

The whole thing was a one sided propaganda interview, like a big Bioware infomercial.

What's disturbing me is these guys are part of the influencer program and seem to be Bioware yes men. It's no wonder we keep getting crappy content and things the real community want are ignored.

I think these type of influences have too much influence on the state of the game. I blame them nearly as much as I blame Bioware for destroying the fun and not addressing what needs to be fixed.

Bioware needs to actually engage with the subscriber community directly through Bioware official communication, ie, the forums or in game surveys, swtor offical twitter and Facebook or even the Devs twitter is better than these third party people. Relying on social media where anyone (even those who may not play the game) can post what ever they want or the influencers can make requests that might be their own opinions is extremely flawed.

Public, 3rd party Social media should never have any influence on the development of this game or if it does it should be so small as to not matter much. Anything that does seem interesting could then be reposted through official company channels to get feed back from Subscribers, you know, the paying customers.

But it seems Bioware mostly ignore the people in the forums (actual subscribed players) in favour of these run of the mill hacks and if any of them disagree to much, Bioware just drops them anyway. All these influencers are yes men because they don't want to speak out publically against Bioware. The closest I've seen of any influencers speaking out is the badfeelingpodcast, but even they tread lightly so as to keep Bioware on side.

The influencers program needs to be scrapped.

It's no wonder we keep getting crappy content and things the real community want are ignored.

What crappy content would that be?

I think these type of influences have too much influence on the state of the game. I blame them nearly as much as I blame Bioware for destroying the fun and not addressing what needs to be fixed.

Bioware needs to actually engage with the subscriber community directly through Bioware official communication, ie, the forums or in game surveys, swtor offical twitter and Facebook or even the Devs twitter is better than these third party people. Relying on social media where anyone (even those who may not play the game) can post what ever they want or the influencers can make requests that might be their own opinions is extremely flawed.

Public, 3rd party Social media should never have any influence on the development of this game or if it does it should be so small as to not matter much. Anything that does seem interesting could then be reposted through official company channels to get feed back from Subscribers, you know, the paying customers.

But it seems Bioware mostly ignore the people in the forums (actual subscribed players) in favour of these run of the mill hacks and if any of them disagree to much, Bioware just drops them anyway. All these influencers are yes men because they don't want to speak out publically against Bioware. The closest I've seen of any influencers speaking out is the badfeelingpodcast, but even they tread lightly so as to keep Bioware on side.

The influencers program needs to be scrapped.

I don't know about this influencer program but just judging from my experiences in the 3 years of playing this game, I'd say Bware does not listen much to their player base. They may listen to them some, as a guy I raided with was once told that he might be asked to participate in some kind of Bware survey on CXP, but they listen more as a last resort. They make their own decisions and if that fails, then listen a little.